VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
The Eagles did not come back out after halftime
so the halftime score is the final
Eagles also lost their starting qb

The Eagles did not come back out after halftime
so the halftime score is the final
Eagles also lost their starting qb
What do you mean?? Jamestown did not play the 2nd half, your kidding?

What do you mean?? Jamestown did not play the 2nd half, your kidding?

Wow that is insane. One thing I will say Is Huguenot has a HUGE O-line and some quality skill players. Even with the last minute coaching change, Don’t be shocked if they figure into the 4b playoff race.

Wow that is insane. One thing I will say Is Huguenot has a HUGE O-line and some quality skill players. Even with the last minute coaching change, Don’t be shocked if they figure into the 4b playoff race.
This if true only adds to the opinion around here that Jamestown football is very bad. Embarrassing and simply unacceptable not to play the 2nd half.

Reactions: mbonape1
This if true only adds to the opinion around here that Jamestown football is very bad. Embarrassing and simply unacceptable not to play the 2nd half.
had a good receiver and kicker
I hope the starting QB will be OK but looked like a shoulder separation from my old and untrained eyes.

Last edited:
I hope the starting QB will be OK but looked like a shoulder separation from my old and untrained eye.

We’re they low on players due to injury or did they just decide they had enough and didn’t want to play any more, Any idea?

I hope the starting QB will be OK but looked like a shoulder separation from my old and untrained eye.
Buy why would they not simply sub for the QB and play the 2nd half??? The Jamestown AD needs to provide some answers to this ,

Buy why would they not simply sub for the QB and play the 2nd half??? The Jamestown AD needs to provide some answers to this ,
no
they lost him the second play of the game
and the backup played the rest of the time
so....

Last edited:
We’re they low on players due to injury or did they just decide they had enough and didn’t want to play any more, Any idea?
hopefully the 11:00 news/sports will add some clarity.
I went to the concession stand at halftime
and when I came back Huguenot was warming up and no sign of Jamestown.
When the officials came out the Eagles did not take the field but motion for a conference with the Falcon head coach and the officials.
There was whooping by the Falcons then both teams lined up at the 50 and shook hands hockey-style
When I left the Jamestown team was huddled together at the 20

hopefully the 11:00 news/sports will add some clarity.
I went to the concession stand at halftime
and when I came back Huguenot was warming up and no sign of Jamestown.
When the officials came out the Eagles did not take the field but motion for a conference with the Falcon head coach and the officials.
There was whooping by the Falcons then both teams lined up at the 50 and shook hands hockey-style
When I left the Jamestown team was huddled together at the 20

WOW! Thanks for the info. Huguenot's next game is 2 weeks from now against LC Bird. That will be a much better measuring stick.

I talked to their AD who by the way is one of the classiest ADs in the state. They just don’t have numbers. They don’t have a JV team and with all the injuries they piled up during the first half they decided if they want to keep playing football beyond week one they needed to call it. They were overmatched.

I talked to their AD who by the way is one of the classiest ADs in the state. They just don’t have numbers. They don’t have a JV team and with all the injuries they piled up during the first half they decided if they want to keep playing football beyond week one they needed to call it. They were overmatched.
This is why I wished the JCC/Williamsburg school district with three high schools allowed a student to pick anyone of them to participate in a sport regardless of where they take classes. I believe Virginia Beach allows this. I could be wrong. This would help eliminate issues with low participation like Jamestown and Grafton in York County that has the same problem (and you guys just rolled over 60-0) and Bruton also in York County. Does the Bay Rivers District need three football teams that are overmatched every week?

I agree with you Devils. I met their AD when we used to play them. He is a great guy. (And a really good sense of humor, too.)

Lafayette, I don't think I can agree that your suggestion would help the problem. Wouldn't the players simply want to play at the school with the strongest program? Would not the rich just get richer?

I agree with you Devils. I met their AD when we used to play them. He is a great guy. (And a really good sense of humor, too.)

Lafayette, I don't think I can agree that your suggestion would help the problem. Wouldn't the players simply want to play at the school with the strongest program? Would not the rich just get richer?

I agree with this, and it would probably end with at least one of them not even having a team.

And assuming they did go to the better team, that also gives less kids the chance to play probably (if a team is out because of it). And I would assume it would lead to recruiting.

And the loss of revenue for schools, and school/community spirit. There is more to it than just a team being able to compete

I agree with this, and it would probably end with at least one of them not even having a team.

And assuming they did go to the better team, that also gives less kids the chance to play probably (if a team is out because of it). And I would assume it would lead to recruiting.

And the loss of revenue for schools, and school/community spirit. There is more to it than just a team being able to compete

This happens in VB, Hampton and NN I believe. If a player is looking to make an impact looking for a college scholarship it’s tough to attract the necessary interest on a team playing half a game or going 0-10. Also what happens like Jamestown, is numbers are so low, players not ready to play on the varsity level are put in by necessity and get hurt.

This happens in VB, Hampton and NN I believe. If a player is looking to make an impact looking for a college scholarship it’s tough to attract the necessary interest on a team playing half a game or going 0-10. Also what happens like Jamestown, is numbers are so low, players not ready to play on the varsity level are put in by necessity and get hurt.

Only issue I would have is if this were done and it caused a program to collapse.

I mean think about it, it sounds like it isn't being done there and they are still having numbers issues.

Would you be cool with it happening to Lafayette? You have the advantage of always being good. You may feel differently if it effected your school and their program.

And you know that if that happened the inevitable complaining about stacked teams would come into play.

I understand your point about it, but again there is more to think about than just how competitive a team is

LOL, the first year we played Jamestown, the Lafayette team had played the day before. So they came to the game..., and sat on our side..., and rooted for Dinwiddie! I'm not sure the Lafayette football community would mourn the loss of Jamestown football.

But seriously, it's not just a Jamestown problem. I'm not sure what the answer is. I do know that the the right individual, with boundless energy, and a lot of innovative ideas can go a long way to bringing a football program back up. Finding that individual is a challenge, but they are out there.

It does not happen in these cities. What cities have are specialty programs that kids have to apply for at every high school. Some programs use their specialty programs to their advantage to get kids (Leadership Academy, ROTC, Fine Arts) but the kids still have to do the work.

Jamestown has a pretty innovative AD that will go out and find a ways to get the kids excited and back out there. Football is a sport that is struggling in that part of the state with numbers. And you have a program in Lafayette that is a constant parents will just make sure their kids go to Lafayette. They receive their fair share of transfers. Interesting thing I always wanted to do in the 757 was look at every kids MS address and see what High School they are truly zoned for before they enter "specialty programs"

This is why I wished the JCC/Williamsburg school district with three high schools allowed a student to pick anyone of them to participate in a sport regardless of where they take classes

And you have a program in Lafayette that is a constant parents will just make sure their kids go to Lafayette

Well said Devils. If you live in the Williamsburg area you and you are serious about football you make your way to Lafayette. That has been happening already. That area is a VERY wealthy area. Those that don't are mostly left overs or people who wanted to stick it out with their current programs.

Well said Devils. If you live in the Williamsburg area you and you are serious about football you make your way to Lafayette. That has been happening already. That area is a VERY wealthy area. Those that don't are mostly left overs or people who wanted to stick it out with their current programs.
Yes, Lafayette does get a fairly steady stream of transfers. This year those I am aware of are two from King William and one from Warhill. In the past I’ve heard of transfers from West Point and Jamestown. It’s also a fairly common occurrence in the Peninsula District.

Yes, Lafayette does get a fairly steady stream of transfers. This year those I am aware of are two from King William and one from Warhill. In the past I’ve heard of transfers from West Point and Jamestown. It’s also a fairly common occurrence in the Peninsula District.

Yeah man... it is just part of HSFB at this point with successful programs. Certainly not isolated to Lafayette. If you are not getting transfers... you probably aren't going to win state championships or be a serious threat year in and year out.

Reactions: Lafayette
I will just leave this here:
Jamestown 10
Kecoughtan 6

[URL='https://twitter.com/hatfieldsports']Matthew Hatfield
@hatfieldsports[/URL]
The scheduled October 25th game between Lafayette and Jamestown has been cancelled. It will go down as a forfeit win for Lafayette and lost for Jamestown due to the Eagles not having enough healthy varsity bodies to participate, AD Kenny Edwards has informed us.

Matthew Hatfield @hatfieldsports

Edwards noted that Jamestown only has 17 healthy varsity bodies at the moment, but that the Eagles do hope to play again soon. Their next scheduled game is for November 1st at New Kent with the regular season finale set for November 7th vs. Tabb.

They just played York and now forfeit on Lafayette? They hope to play again? After Friday there are only two games left, their all going to get better after avoiding Lafayette? I’m personally at this point sick of the Bay Rivers District. Jamestown, Bruton and Grafton football is on life support. Poquoson has issues and a class 2. I think it’s time for Lafayette to schedule subs for these teams and move on. It does a serious football program no good to play super cream puffs. Two times Lafayette has scored over 80 points. That shouldn’t happen. Why Chance these schools to do this again next year, as is likel? Re do the schedule.
As a class 4 school how can you have 18 players available with nearly 1200 students? I guess they all play tennis and golf.

Last edited:
They just played York and now forfeit on Lafayette? They hope to play again? After Friday there are only two games left, their all going to get better after avoiding Lafayette? I’m personally at this point sick of the Bay Rivers District. Jamestown, Bruton and Grafton football is on life support. Poquoson has issues and a class 2. I think it’s time for Lafayette to schedule subs for these teams and move on. It does a serious football program no good to play super cream puffs. Two times Lafayette has scored over 80 points. That shouldn’t happen. Why Chance these schools to do this again next year, as is likel? Re do the schedule.
As a class 4 school how can you have 18 players available with nearly 1200 students?
Highland Springs did that with The Capital District so it can be done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT