K'Vaughan's Thread

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
Ladies and Gentlemen.. "The Pope" and a lucky fan :cool:
Via his official twitter page

DD5vWeDXYAAq8Nq

In a few hours this young man will make the biggest decision of his life. Whoever he picks will be getting a heck of a player and an even better person. Will it be Ohio State? Georgia? VT? I know DP and Bleeding Navy are both proud to have such an outstanding young man be apart of their program and rightfully so! Can't wait to watch him this year and for years to come! Congrats young man!

I know he wanted to commit to Ohio State, but they are loaded at LB and seem to have put him on hold. Va Tech is not on the radar and they also have depth at his position.

Georgia is my pick. 1 MLB on the roster and 0 commitments at his position. Shane Beamer is going to get him. The kid can play offense, defense and special teams.

Personally, I think he would be better staying home at UVA. Ouch, did I say that.

I would like to see him at Virginia Tech but good luck to him wherever he chooses. I am looking forward to watching him play again at Salem this year. Hopefully he plays well but doesn't have too much success against the Spartans. ;)

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I can't imagine a coach "holding off" on this kid... i dont care who they have in the pipeline. i hope he stays in state but I doubt it.

No, I didn't hear you say that? Who are you, and what did you do with the real Bleeding Navy?

Yeah, I know, but he would fit in well with Coach Tenuto's scheme at UVA. Imagine if Pope, Tenuto's son and the Smith kid from Louisa stayed close to home.

I too would like for him to consider VA Tech, but the Hokies did not put much effort into his recruitment. Two things to remember about Tech: They have Rivers, Ashby and Becton waiting in the wings at lb and I am not sure he really fits Coach Fosters scheme.

Ohio State is still a player, but they have there eyes on two California kids they prefer over Pope. The Georgia visit may have motivated Ohio State, but if the Buckeyes think they can get get their choice Pope is the odd man out.

I am sure Georgia used the "we have a spot now" game on him and I know he loves the SEC. Florida may still be in the mix as well.

I may be wrong, but I still believe he becomes a bulldog.

Last edited:
I would like to see him at Virginia Tech but good luck to him wherever he chooses. I am looking forward to watching him play again at Salem this year. Hopefully he plays well but doesn't have too much success against the Spartans. ;)
Classy post 66Spartan. We Dinwiddie fans can't wait either. I can promise you he did not take the State Final defeat very well. One man cannot win a game, but I can assure you he will do everything in his power to make up for the loss last season. I just hope he isn't too hyped and tries to do too much. Salem is well coached and will take advantage of undisciplined play.

Last edited:
From a fans stand point I want to win every game and a victory over Salem would provide some bravado and confidence going into a tough four game stretch for us. Not really sure it means anything regarding the playoffs. Injuries, getting hot at the right time (See Blacksburg), inexperienced players improvement and of course match ups effect the playoffs much more than a early regular season win. Don't get me wrong. If either teams puts a butt whipping on the other (I don't expect this) then it could be factor. The whole key here is its just one game in a long grind.

From a coaching stand point I think you play your game. You include a few wrinkles, but basically do what you do best. In the Salem vs. Dinwiddie match up I look for a low scoring grind it out game. Both teams have new quarterbacks, so the running and short passing game will be at a premium. This type of game appears to be well suited for the Spartans, but this Generals team (offensively) will utilize the read option just as in 2013. With Sturdivant, Williams, a healthy Tyree and Peetey Pope toting the mail, I truly believe we can challenge Salem on the ground. With that being said don't expect anything fancy from either team. I know this is way too early to really discuss this, but whoever can control the line of scrimmage wins this game.

I hope I answered your question.

Last edited:
I was wrong. I guess Ohio State decided not to wait. I think they will be happy with their decision.

I can't believe he choose the Buckholes, over the schools that offered him.

As for UVA, I can't understand why any player would go there if he has offer from anyone else.

Reactions: Shsfan12
I can't believe he choose the Buckholes, over the schools that offered him.

As for UVA, I can't understand why any player would go there if he has offer from anyone else.
D1 football, one of the best conferences in the county, chance for immediate playing time, beautiful city/campus and incredible education... Yeah I can't understand it either.

I'll say that the Big 10 is the best conference from top to bottom in CFB. Yeah the SEC is good but very top heavy.

Remember, the VCU Rams football team has never been scored on and never lost a game. In fact, they have never given up a completed pass, not one single yard rushing, nor ever had a penalty called on them. Alabama, Ohio State, VT, UVA, all of you eat your heart out. Rams Nation is the greatest football program that ever was!

Remember, the VCU Rams football team has never been scored on and never lost a game. In fact, they have never given up a completed pass, not one single yard rushing, nor ever had a penalty called on them. Alabama, Ohio State, VT, UVA, all of you eat your heart out. Rams Nation is the greatest football program that ever was!
:cool: I LOVE IT! Ram Nation or No Nation :D

The Big 10 is most over rated conference in the nation. SEC,ACC, B 12 and PAC 10 are all better. Heck the Big 10 champion did not even make playoffs last year. Sure Ohio State and Michigan have decent records each year, but they play cupcakes to build their record, except for 1 game

HamptonRoads6, why should it really matter to fans of high school football where Pope decided to attend school.

ACC, SEC, Big Ten, CIAA? If the shoe is comfortable and meets your needs you wear it. Pope liked Ohio State and they offered. Its a win for both sides.

I wish our best player players stayed in state, but it just doesnt happen often. Ohio State has landed at least one Virginia top ten player since 2012. They must be doing something right. FSU and Alabama have done the the same and the trend will not stop until the Div. I Virginia programs step up consistently.

I wish Pope the best. Heck, I have been fortunate to see the young man play every game and I couldnt be prouder.

HamptonRoads6, why should it really matter to fans of high school football where Pope decided to attend school.

ACC, SEC, Big Ten, CIAA? If the shoe is comfortable and meets your needs you wear it. Pope liked Ohio State and they offered. Its a win for both sides.

I wish our best player players stayed in state, but it just doesnt happen often. Ohio State has landed at least one Virginia top ten player since 2012. They must be doing something right. FSU and Alabama have done the the same and the trend will not stop until the Div. I Virginia programs step up consistently.

I wish Pope the best. Heck, I have been fortunate to see the young man play every game and I couldnt be prouder.

Totally with you... what is best for the kid should be what ultimately happens. I just would like to see our Va home grown boys playing for our own universities. Selfish but I am just being honest. But I would never be so selfish as to want someone to stay in state that thought they fit better elsewhere.

HR6, no the Big 10 champ didn't make the playoffs but Ohio State did :D.. OSU was talented enough to win back to back national championships but the actual Big 10 champ, Michigan State, had no business in the playoffs in 2016 and the committee knew that. Pope is in a situation that some kids would give anything for. Urban Meyer, "The Shoe", biggest rivalry in college football with Michigan, a chance to play for a top 3 team year in and year out, perennial 1st round NFL draft picks, and a top notch education from The Ohio State University.. Man that's big time if you ask me!!

I despise Ohio State and every coach or player who goes there.

While I am biased as I am a huge Buckeye fan and also a Hokie fan, exactly what is your issue with them? If I recall, you are an Alabama and VT fan, so is it because THE beat your teams? And you are delusional to say the SEC, ACC, Big 12, and PAC are better conferences than Big 10. Lets just look at the top teams in each conference:

Lets for the sake of argument say Alabama is they best team in nation, Ohio State is probably a close 2nd, yes I know they lost to Clemson last year, but 1 loss doesn't make a team better than someone overall (JMU over VT).

ACC: Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Miami

Big 10: Ohio State, #ichigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State or Iowa

Big 12: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, West Virginia

PAC: USC, Washington, Stanford, Oregon, UCLA

SEC: Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee or Auburn

Not really hard to see which conference is best top to bottom. Those are the ones I would say have been top 5 in recent past and moving forward. ACC and SEC are quite top heavy, BIG 12 has 1 team that can compete nationally every year, and PAC 12 has had some good teams in the past, and will in the future, but the bottom of their conference just isn't very good. THE Ohio State University won a title 3 years ago, #ichigan was a top 5 team, PSU could have been in playoffs, Wisconsin played every one of those top 3 tough and without those being on schedule would have been in playoff, MSU was in playoff (OSU was certainly better than year even with the loss), and Iowa could have just as easily been in there in MSU place.

And you said Big 10 teams only play 1 tough game a year? Well I will use my Buckeyes as an example: Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, #ichigan. That is 5 teams highly ranked last year that they played, along with MSU who was down last year. Their weakess opponent (Bowling Green, Tulsa)

Alabamas: USC, Ole Miss (who fell off), Arkansas (who fell off), Tennessee (who fell off), Texas AM (who fell off), LSU, Auburn. Their weakest opponent (Western Kentucky, Kent State, Chattanooga)- 3 gimmes.

While I am biased as I am a huge Buckeye fan and also a Hokie fan, exactly what is your issue with them? If I recall, you are an Alabama and VT fan, so is it because THE beat your teams? And you are delusional to say the SEC, ACC, Big 12, and PAC are better conferences than Big 10. Lets just look at the top teams in each conference:

Lets for the sake of argument say Alabama is they best team in nation, Ohio State is probably a close 2nd, yes I know they lost to Clemson last year, but 1 loss doesn't make a team better than someone overall (JMU over VT).

ACC: Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Miami

Big 10: Ohio State, #ichigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State or Iowa

Big 12: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, West Virginia

PAC: USC, Washington, Stanford, Oregon, UCLA

SEC: Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee or Auburn

Not really hard to see which conference is best top to bottom. Those are the ones I would say have been top 5 in recent past and moving forward. ACC and SEC are quite top heavy, BIG 12 has 1 team that can compete nationally every year, and PAC 12 has had some good teams in the past, and will in the future, but the bottom of their conference just isn't very good. THE Ohio State University won a title 3 years ago, #ichigan was a top 5 team, PSU could have been in playoffs, Wisconsin played every one of those top 3 tough and without those being on schedule would have been in playoff, MSU was in playoff (OSU was certainly better than year even with the loss), and Iowa could have just as easily been in there in MSU place.

And you said Big 10 teams only play 1 tough game a year? Well I will use my Buckeyes as an example: Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, #ichigan. That is 5 teams highly ranked last year that they played, along with MSU who was down last year. Their weakess opponent (Bowling Green, Tulsa)

Alabamas: USC, Ole Miss (who fell off), Arkansas (who fell off), Tennessee (who fell off), Texas AM (who fell off), LSU, Auburn. Their weakest opponent (Western Kentucky, Kent State, Chattanooga)- 3 gimmes.
Thank ya sir! I, too, have become a Buckeye fan. I got a chance to meet and hang out with Curtis Grant back during Christmas of 2013 before he played in the Orange Bowl against Clemson and I cheered him on the whole season during their National Championship journey. Those guys earned everything they got. No gimmes in Big 10 football.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Thank ya sir! I, too, have become a Buckeye fan. I got a chance to meet and hang out with Curtis Grant back during Christmas of 2013 before he played in the Orange Bowl against Clemson and I cheered him on the whole season during their National Championship journey. Those guys earned everything they got. No gimmes in Big 10 football.

I know HR6 likes to troll and say controversial things, which is all well and good, but there is a HUGE difference in despising a team and saying they are overrated/not good. I despise #ichigan, but I can recognize that since Khaki pants arrived and lots of years in the past that they were very good. Would it be a shame to see a great player go there, of course but doesn't mean you have to hate the kid. And not understanding people going to UVA? If they are SO terrible, then it wouldn't matter who they get. I think 90% of America would certainly like a degree from there or any other prestigious university. I think what people forget (HR6 in saying doesn't understand why any athlete would go there) is that ANY school has a limit on scholarships and not many make it to pros, even many HIGHLY recruited athletes, and thus kids/athletes are going for the schooling as well. That is why they are STUDENT athletes. And while I may be a VT fan, UVA did win a national championship a few years ago in baseball, so by this logic, why would ANY baseball player ever go to VT?

I know HR6 likes to troll and say controversial things, which is all well and good, but there is a HUGE difference in despising a team and saying they are overrated/not good. I despise #ichigan, but I can recognize that since Khaki pants arrived and lots of years in the past that they were very good. Would it be a shame to see a great player go there, of course but doesn't mean you have to hate the kid. And not understanding people going to UVA? If they are SO terrible, then it wouldn't matter who they get. I think 90% of America would certainly like a degree from there or any other prestigious university. I think what people forget (HR6 in saying doesn't understand why any athlete would go there) is that ANY school has a limit on scholarships and not many make it to pros, even many HIGHLY recruited athletes, and thus kids/athletes are going for the schooling as well. That is why they are STUDENT athletes. And while I may be a VT fan, UVA did win a national championship a few years ago in baseball, so by this logic, why would ANY baseball player ever go to VT?
I am a huge SEC fan, but even I know that the ACC teams fared much better in the Bowl games than my SEC teams.

Big 10 schools play a lightweight schedule. The media is in love with Big 10 for some reason, thus the lofty rankings. I believe 4 Big 10 schools are ranked in top 10. That's a joke.
As for Ohio State, Urban Meyer left Florida because the was burnt out or something. When Ohio job opened up, all of a sudden he was no longer burnt out. I lost all respect for him when he took that job, as I would any coach.

Big 10 schools play a lightweight schedule. The media is in love with Big 10 for some reason, thus the lofty rankings. I believe 4 Big 10 schools are ranked in top 10. That's a joke.
As for Ohio State, Urban Meyer left Florida because the was burnt out or something. When Ohio job opened up, all of a sudden he was no longer burnt out. I lost all respect for him when he took that job, as I would any coach.

Few things here, one he was burnt out from the Florida job so he quit and then took Ohio State job. Well there was time in between the 2 and secondly, do you not think that it's even POSSIBLE that part of the burn out was due in part to Florida and not football? I also remember it being something health related.

4 teams being ranked in the top 10. Well if they are 4 of the best teams, then why wouldn't they be? I'm sure you had no issue when we had BCS when the National Championship game was 2 SEC teams. The fact of the matter is that those 4 teams would more than likely beat any team other than Alabama in the SEC. Everything is cyclical, a few years ago the SEC was the best conference.

I have already addressed the schedule. Last year, Ohio State played a tougher schedule than Alabama or Virginia Tech. Who knows who will end up with better schedule this year

Few things here, one he was burnt out from the Florida job so he quit and then took Ohio State job. Well there was time in between the 2 and secondly, do you not think that it's even POSSIBLE that part of the burn out was due in part to Florida and not football? I also remember it being something health related.

4 teams being ranked in the top 10. Well if they are 4 of the best teams, then why wouldn't they be? I'm sure you had no issue when we had BCS when the National Championship game was 2 SEC teams. The fact of the matter is that those 4 teams would more than likely beat any team other than Alabama in the SEC. Everything is cyclical, a few years ago the SEC was the best conference.

I have already addressed the schedule. Last year, Ohio State played a tougher schedule than Alabama or Virginia Tech. Who knows who will end up with better schedule this year
It was health related. He was sick his pipeline in recruiting was drying up and he had more issues with the police blotter. Couple that with a rapid onset of the Saban flu and the notoriously deadly case of Gator fans amnesia/short memory and it was the perfect time to leave.

It was health related. He was sick his pipeline in recruiting was drying up and he had more issues with the police blotter. Couple that with a rapid onset of the Saban flu and the notoriously deadly case of Gator fans amnesia/short memory and it was the perfect time to leave.

Funny. So Saban got the Urban blues a few years ago when a 3rd string qb with 1 game experience bear them in the playoffs :)

Funny. So Saban got the Urban blues a few years ago when a 3rd string qb with 1 game experience bear them in the playoffs :)
I believe he could've started anywhere in the country. He was behind Braxton who led them to what? 12-0 back in 2012 (they weren't bowl eligible that year).. I think Braxton lost two games in 2013 and then JT beat Cardale out for the starting QB spot when Braxton went down. Really remarkable. I think Cardale's mouth got him in more trouble than anything with the "experts". 6'5 raw talent with a strong arm but got a little too political and mouthy. It really shows you how good of a recruiter Meyer is. Look at the big time NFL starters on that National championship team. Shazier, "Idiot" Elliott, Bosa, Cardale (who I believe will be the LA Chargers QB once Rivers retires), Noah Spence.. The list goes on and on.

Good description. The blues or 24 hour bug. Meyer got out at Florida at an opportune time. Both he and Saban are great coaches. From a legacy perspective it is always better win or lose for it to happen in a national championship game as opposed to a conference championship game or regular season conference game. The SEC neighborhood with the annual FSU matchup coupled with looming challenges on the horizon at Florida meant things were getting shaky in Gainesville.

I believe he could've started anywhere in the country. He was behind Braxton who led them to what? 12-0 back in 2012 (they weren't bowl eligible that year).. I think Braxton lost two games in 2013 and then JT beat Cardale out for the starting QB spot when Braxton went down. Really remarkable. I think Cardale's mouth got him in more trouble than anything with the "experts". 6'5 raw talent with a strong arm but got a little too political and mouthy. It really shows you how good of a recruiter Meyer is. Look at the big time NFL starters on that National championship team. Shazier, "Idiot" Elliott, Bosa, Cardale (who I believe will be the LA Chargers QB once Rivers retires), Noah Spence.. The list goes on and on.

I completely agree he was a starter most places, but the difference was he was their 3rd that year which meant little if no time with starters and then come in and perform the way he did without the familiarity with them and beat the unbeatable (How some talk about Alabama) team.

Good description. The blues or 24 hour bug. Meyer got out at Florida at an opportune time. Both he and Saban are great coaches. From a legacy perspective it is always better win or lose for it to happen in a national championship game as opposed to a conference championship game or regular season conference game. The SEC neighborhood with the annual FSU matchup coupled with looming challenges on the horizon at Florida meant things were getting shaky in Gainesville.

The fact is, that OSU was the best team at the end of the season and really were the best team the year after, just had a bad night against Msu. But the best team doesn't always win. Alabama was better than Clemson last year.

But to just say SEC reasons why Urban left Florida is closed minded in my opinion. I honestly don't think he was or ever will be afraid of Saban or any other coach. It was due in part to health, and I'm sure that Florida itself exacerbated it with things going on.

I would rather live in Florida than Ohio. I think most people would.

Ok, so what does that prove? I am sure a lot of people would rather live in Hawaii than Virginia, or most other states. So that means that Hawaii has a great football program that should be envied? I think you may have hit your head one too many times or whiplash or something with watching all that passing going on with the spread since that is the only offense worth anything and what every coach at every level should run

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT