ADVERTISEMENT

LCA gets there welcome to the big leagues next week.

LCA had to win one game to get to a state championship game, not taking anything from them but it's a whole different ballgame now. LCA use to gear up maybe 2 times a year for good teams they will be in he Seminole next year were every week you gotta bring it, completely different world as they found out against Millbrook last year who I saw play and wasn't that good...imo

The "recruiting" part of LCA I never had a problem with. The 5th year Senior thing never bothered me. The problem lies in the fact that they are now playing in the VHSL with recruited and 5th year seniors against teams that are not allowed to. It's not a level playing field.

With free tuition to LU gone there isn't anything to draw athletes to LCA anymore. With the competition they will be facing they will not longer be able to compete as their advantages fade away.
Amen

My thing is if a kid leaves a program for a better opportunity I wouldn't call that recruiting. At the time Jamal was at rustburg they were like 2-8 type of team, LCA had just won 2 state championships so why wouldn't he want to come, most kids that come to LCA is because they are having disclipline issues or coaching issues. So what do you call navy jones who was at altavista and ended up at JF?
And if any school wanted to reclass 8th graders they can no rule against that they can only have 4 years on varsity.
Why can't anyone just say what it actually was, LCA for the past 12-13 years have had the best coach in the area. 6 state championships. And dozens and dozens of kids in college programs. There is a famous quote from a sports movie that says if you build it they will come, and that is what LCA has done. They have 2 kids playing in the league right now how many other schools in our area have that
Would they have that many state championships if they would played public schools mostly likely not. They played small private schools that couldn't compete with them.

LCA had to win one game to get to a state championship game, not taking anything from them but it's a whole different ballgame now. LCA use to gear up maybe 2 times a year for good teams they will be in he Seminole next year were every week you gotta bring it, completely different world as they found out against Millbrook last year who I saw play and wasn't that good...imo
Yeah they had to play two games when others played double that amount

Those were private school championships. Fact is LCA and LU are supposed to be bringing people to Christ and uplifting the community. But how come is it that they are hated by everyone in this area and state and VHSL? It's because they break rules. Fact is they will never be accepted. That is why VHSL took away all championships to be hosted at LU and will never let them host anything again. It's a shame it has to be that way. If they could follow rules and not try hurt other schools in the community they are in by recruiting there players then they would have had a chance to be a positive example on the communities around them and respected by those communities. But once respect is gone you have nothing. And don't try to say they don't recruit and that kids just decide to leave and go there. I've seen letters they have sent to players at multiple area schools. Even kids I go to church with and play at LCA say they recruit it's no secret. But they also say they will be down in the future because not having the free college tuition program anymore is already hurting the recruiting.
I have actually had administrators tell me they recruit and my nephew played and he said they did

My thing is if a kid leaves a program for a better opportunity I wouldn't call that recruiting. At the time Jamal was at rustburg they were like 2-8 type of team, LCA had just won 2 state championships so why wouldn't he want to come, most kids that come to LCA is because they are having disclipline issues or coaching issues. So what do you call navy jones who was at altavista and ended up at JF?
And if any school wanted to reclass 8th graders they can no rule against that they can only have 4 years on varsity.
Why can't anyone just say what it actually was, LCA for the past 12-13 years have had the best coach in the area. 6 state championships. And dozens and dozens of kids in college programs. There is a famous quote from a sports movie that says if you build it they will come, and that is what LCA has done. They have 2 kids playing in the league right now how many other schools in our area have that
If you build it they will come but keep the level playing field if you want to play in public schools when you are a private school

You know, I may not like it, but if they, (LCA), reclassified a bunch of kids at the last minute, and it was legal, you can not bust their chops for acting within the rules. If they were recruiting right up to the day they were officially accepted into the VHSL, again, they broke no rules.

It's like filing your tax return. There are a lot of really rediculious loop holes that you can take advantage of. Another example, a defense attorney will use anything, including a minor technicality to get some worthless punk off. Both of these methods are well within the rules of law.

What I see as important to the argument is as follows. And you have to apply your own personal values to the first one. What message are they sending to those that they are charged with educating, not just academically, but as Christian followers? Remember, the LCA mission is not the same as the public school mission.

My second concern is "are they following the VHSL rules now"?

Me personally, I will not defend nor support them until I see positive proof that they are true to their principles and are doing things the right way. Or if there is factual, verifiable evidence that they are in clear violation of the rules.

I like to think that most of you extend me at some measure of trust and respect. So if I told you that Mike Salem has purple skin, it would certainly cause you to begin to form an opinion about Mike. My point is that many on here state and profess that LCA is, and has, violated the rules. They very well may have. But until there is irrefutable evidence, they are innocent of any violation of the rules.

Now, the ethical judgement is entirely up to you. But don't confuse that with rules violations. You have to apply you personal value system to that part of the judgement equation. Are they acting in a manner that YOU find is moral and ethical?

Moral and ethic values are yours, and yours alone. A quick exaggerated example; an old hound dog that is limping and won't hunt anymore. Wikki and I would spend a fortune on vet care and in helping make his retirement years happy. The owner/hunter may choose to put a bullet in him. Where you stand on this is neither right nor wrong, it is simply your personal position. Such as it is with how you feel about LCA and LU.

Last edited:
You know, I may not like it, but if they, (LCA), reclassified a bunch of kids at the last minute, and it was legal, you can not bust their chops for acting within the rules. If they were recruiting right up to the day they were officially accepted into the VHSL, again, they broke no rules.

It's like filing your tax return. There are a lot of really rediculious loop holes that you can take advantage of. Another example, a defense attorney will use anything, including a minor technicality to get some worthless punk off. Both of these methods are well within the rules of law.

What I see as important to the argument is as follows. And you have to apply your own personal values to the first one. What message are they sending to those that they are charged with educating, not just academically, but as Christian followers? Remember, the LCA mission is not the same as the public school mission.

Me personally, I will not defend nor support them until I see positive proof that they are true to their principles and are doing things the right way. Or if there is factual, verifiable evidence that they are in clear violation of the rules.

I like to think that most of you extend me at some measure of trust and respect. So if I told you that Mike Salem has purple skin, it would certainly cause you to begin to form an opinion about Mike. My point is that many on here state and profess that LCA is, and has, violated the rules. They very well may have. But until there is irrefutable evidence, they are innocent of any violation of the rules.

Now, the ethical judgement is entirely up to you. But don't confuse that with rules violations. You have to apply you personal value system to that part of the judgement equation. Are they acting in a manner that YOU find is moral and ethical?

Moral and ethic values are yours, and yours alone. A quick exaggerated example; an old hound dog that is limping and won't hunt anymore. Wikki and I would spend a fortune on vet care and in helping make his retirement years happy. The owner/hunter may choose to put a bullet in him. Where you stand on this is neither right nor wrong, it is simply your personal position. Such as it is with how you feel about LCA and LU.
Well said DP, but don't start calling me Barney or anything. Purple lives matter.

Well said but we agree to disagree. Yes I would do anything for my pets and have. Like LU but not LCA, done

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I hope LCA wins, but Amherst might be better this season. LCA today, is not the LCA of years past. The talent level has dropped somewhat. No one should hate LCA. From A to Z, LCA is probably best high school around. (Brookville is #2) based on my observations. and I have seen them all.

I hope LCA wins, but Amherst might be better this season. LCA today, is not the LCA of years past. The talent level has dropped somewhat. No one should hate LCA. From A to Z, LCA is probably best high school around. (Brookville is #2) based on my observations. and I have seen them all.

Best high school for what?

Woodberry Forest (Madison County) has to be in the conversation for best overall High School in Virginia, maybe anywhere.

Rigorous academics (no exceptions for athletes); "Hogwarts" type buildings; unbelievable athletic facilities; tons of endowment money; character and integrity goal #1; and a Donald Ross designed golf course on campus!.

Woodberry Forest (Madison County) has to be in the conversation for best overall High School in Virginia, maybe anywhere.

Rigorous academics (no exceptions for athletes); "Hogwarts" type buildings; unbelievable athletic facilities; tons of endowment money; character and integrity goal #1; and a Donald Ross designed golf course on campus!.

Absolutely. All that for only 54K a year....

Don't hate just not a fan. Talent may not be the same and may not be if they follow same rules. Who knows what will happen

Absolutely. All that for only 54K a year....
It most definitely is not cheap...I paid less to go to college! But EVERY Woodberry student gets some sort of financial aide, regardless of need. I am told this is done so that the few who do actually need assistance do not feel stigmatized.

Plus, every WF grad basically gets to go to his college of choice (academically speaking).

Just mentioned Woodberry to contrast to HR6's comment; there are other schools outside his myopic view.

W/F is a lot like VES. Rich kids only. P Middle class to poor need not apply
That is not correct at all. If a kid is academically able to qualify, WF provides whatever funding the family needs. My neighbor works for VDOT and his wife is a teacher. Their son attends WF. Also there is a kid who played in Madison and now goes to WF. His dad told me that he pays $0 due to their financial situation.

Granted, there are a lot of wealthy students there, but like I said earlier, ALL WF students receive some sort of financial aide.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT