ADVERTISEMENT

LCA vs Phantoms

At this point anything is possible but we are barely halfway into the season for most teams. A lot of games left to be played.

I saw LCA on NHFS last year in playoffs against lord Botetourt. I was impressed.

Phoebus is focused on playing an undefeated Hampton Crabbers team on next week. They haven't played a game in two weeks due to a cancellation and forfeit. LCA, I'm sure, is not looking ahead either. Both teams have tough roads to travel ahead.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Who’s LCA?
Liberty Christian Academy. Use to be a private school located at Liberty University. They filed a lawsuit against the VHSL to compete with public schools. LCA has a really good team this yr and will be one of the favorites in Class 3 along with Phoebus

Liberty Christian Academy. Use to be a private school located at Liberty University. They filed a lawsuit against the VHSL to compete with public schools. LCA has a really good team this yr and will be one of the favorites in Class 3 along with Phoebus
I’m surprised the VHSL buckled to the lawsuit. Public and Private schools are not mixed in the playoffs in several large states like New Jersey and Texas so there there must be some legal ground there.

I’m surprised the VHSL buckled to the lawsuit. Public and Private schools are not mixed in the playoffs in several large states like New Jersey and Texas so there there must be some legal ground there.
I know they're mixed in WV. Wheeling Central Catholic seems to win D1 every year. I dont mind private schools mixed with public but there does need to be the 1.5% enrollment thing that Virginia does. If WV used that model Central Catholic would be in D2 against Bluefield and Fairmont. I think some are mixed in with the publics in NC as well, Charlotte Catholic is now or used to be, not sure 100%.

No the legal ground was not the issue. This was done in civil court. Civil courts are setup to make settlements not decisions. Sooo money can win every time.

Reactions: SFUWO
No the legal ground was not the issue. This was done in civil court. Civil courts are setup to make settlements not decisions. Sooo money can win every time.
Also they had the money to fight and the VHSL didn’t. The schools in this district don’t want them there. They have advantages in so many ways than the public schools. If they make it to states, they get to play on their home field which is so unfair which is not allowed by the public schools

Also they had the money to fight and the VHSL didn’t. The schools in this district don’t want them there. They have advantages in so many ways than the public schools. If they make it to states, they get to play on their home field which is so unfair which is not allowed by the public schools
With the exception of "recruiting" which a lot of public schools do as well. What other advantages do they have?

Oh ok I had asked because everyone has been begging to schedule us these last 2 weeks we’ve been off. That’s the school with the top OT. They don’t have anything for Phoebus this year to be honest. I saw a game of theirs.

Phoebus is focused on playing an undefeated Hampton Crabbers team on next week. They haven't played a game in two weeks due to a cancellation and forfeit. LCA, I'm sure, is not looking ahead either. Both teams have tough roads to travel ahead.

I just hope our kids stay motivated. They legit formed a super team and it’s no competition in district. Still no clue why we scheduled Oscar Smith a week before playoffs such a terrible idea

• Wow
Reactions: Raiders Radio
I just hope our kids stay motivated. They legit formed a super team and it’s no competition in district. Still no clue why we scheduled Oscar Smith a week before playoffs such a terrible idea
Sure seems like an inopportune time to get injuries against a class 6 team.

• Wow
Oh ok I had asked because everyone has been begging to schedule us these last 2 weeks we’ve been off. That’s the school with the top OT. They don’t have anything for Phoebus this year to be honest. I saw a game of theirs.
LCA is still a private Christian School. Got loads from of talent from all over the Lynchburg area.

Reactions: wikki
Idk what game you saw or which Liberty team you watched but it wasn't LCA. I've had my eye on them for a couple seasons even while they were in class 4. They're well coached with great line play on both sides and very good athletes in their own right. They have a great qb that can beat you with his arm and legs. I'm with you that we have some serious horses at Phoebus but we still have to get out the region first. If Phoebus meets LCA it'll one heck of a matchup especially being that will be played in their backyard! It won't be easy fir either team. This is just my unbiased opinion.

I just hope our kids stay motivated. They legit formed a super team and it’s no competition in district. Still no clue why we scheduled Oscar Smith a week before playoffs such a terrible id

Idk what game you saw or which Liberty team you watched but it wasn't LCA. I've had my eye on them for a couple seasons even while they were in class 4. They're well coached with great line play on both sides and very good athletes in their own right. They have a great qb that can beat you with his arm and legs. I'm with you that we have some serious horses at Phoebus but we still have to get out the region first. If Phoebus meets LCA it'll one heck of a matchup especially being that will be played in their backyard! It won't be easy fir either team. This is just my unbiased opinion.
They just beat a really good Brookville team pretty easily.

Reactions: lyhsports
Wish we knew what Roccos salary is. Big money is put into their program.

Rocco is also the Athletic Director, so if he has a big salary, it’s because he has a big workload.
Best i can find is 2015 his sal was 103k for being AD. I did not find what additional he was paid as head coach.

• Wow
Reactions: Bo Bob

Hopefully I’m wrong and we do get good games, but finally after all these years of having suspect non Phoebus we got a traditional powerhouse team at Phoebus. I just don’t see a team in 3A that can handle our depth Bc barring injuries we go legit 5-6 deep at WRs with 2 skilled backs and a true dual threat at QB. If it doesn’t happen this year then it’s on the coaches. I still think if Sexton never got fired Phoebus would’ve still been that dominate program with at minimum 4-5 more state titles.

Sure seems like an inopportune time to get injuries against a class 6 team.
At first Phoebus Vs Oscar Smith sounded so good but when you think about it nothing is gained from this game but bragging rights. Both teams could play lights out and have state championship type of vibe but that could lead to a let down come playoffs and not to mention injuries. A loss by either team could hurt their playoff positioning too. I bet a 6a team losing to a 3A team could kill them power points wise. This is the game we should’ve played to begin the year.

At first Phoebus Vs Oscar Smith sounded so good but when you think about it nothing is gained from this game but bragging rights. Both teams could play lights out and have state championship type of vibe but that could lead to a let down come playoffs and not to mention injuries. A loss by either team could hurt their playoff positioning too. I bet a 6a team losing to a 3A team could kill them power points wise. This is the game we should’ve played to begin the year.
If it were Lafayette I would be scared to death of injuries, like the two starters Lafayette that got ACLs in our playoff game in May with Phoebus. Right before the playoffs , no time to recover, bad timing for this one. Phoebus without OS has the # 1 seed locked up. A loss will not hurt Phoebus but injuries will. State championships matter. I would just play the 9 games. Forget the 10th these days. Lafayette is forgetting about continuing their first game 14-14 halftime with King George. It could only be played the same time period of your OS game. Too close to the playoffs, a long drive and unlikely to change the seeding much.

Hopefully I’m wrong and we do get good games, but finally after all these years of having suspect non Phoebus we got a traditional powerhouse team at Phoebus. I just don’t see a team in 3A that can handle our depth Bc barring injuries we go legit 5-6 deep at WRs with 2 skilled backs and a true dual threat at QB. If it doesn’t happen this year then it’s on the coaches. I still think if Sexton never got fired Phoebus would’ve still been that dominate program with at minimum 4-5 more state titles.
Much respect for Phoebus and their program for what they have accomplished over the years but come on man you guys haven't beat a team from the Western part of the state since dropping down to 3a. Magna Vista, Blacksburg, Heritage Lyn all defeated you guys in the playoffs. Believe what you want, but I would not overlook LCA if that matchup takes place in December.

I know they're mixed in WV. Wheeling Central Catholic seems to win D1 every year. I dont mind private schools mixed with public but there does need to be the 1.5% enrollment thing that Virginia does. If WV used that model Central Catholic would be in D2 against Bluefield and Fairmont. I think some are mixed in with the publics in NC as well, Charlotte Catholic is now or used to be, not sure 100%.
Virginia used to use. LCA no longer has the multiplier. That's why they are now Class 3.

Much respect for Phoebus and their program for what they have accomplished over the years but come on man you guys haven't beat a team from the Western part of the state since dropping down to 3a. Magna Vista, Blacksburg, Heritage Lyn all defeated you guys in the playoffs. Believe what you want, but I would not overlook LCA if that matchup takes place in December.
You are stating the truth and we have come up short on several occasions against the western VA schools. Truth be told those Phoebus teams really overachieved to make it to the state semis and finals those years. We weren't even the best team in our district for a couple of those years because of Hampton. This team in 2021 has a much different feel to them. You can't pinpoint one guy to game plan for Phoebus. Although with only four games played WR Kamari Gray has 12 receptions and 11 of those are TDs. That's ridiculous efficiency, however this team has improved at every single position since spring football. Phoebus has 4 WRs that can start for pretty much any team in the state and I'm not exaggerating. All four are 6'2 and taller. How much improvement along the offensive line will be the biggest key. It's still a lot of football left to play beginning with one of the biggest rivalry games in the state against 5-0 Hampton on Saturday. So we'll see happens from here on out. One game at a time!

Last edited:
They aren't allowed to use LU facilities, if that's what you are referring to. It is an NCAA violation. LCA has their own facilities.
I thought I put this statement on the thread but evidently did not, you are 100% correct and also about the money. People have a big misconception about "advantages" they have. My thing has always been, have a program were kids don't want to leave, granted there are always going to be some regardless...it is what it is.

Reactions: VolNation85
They aren't allowed to use LU facilities, if that's what you are referring to. It is an NCAA violation. LCA has their own facilities.
So you telling me that they don't use the stadium 😂😂. I'm sure their weight room and other LCA facilities are too notch as well.

They do use the stadium but that is it as far as Liberty U facilities that I know of.

They lost some "recruiting power" now that LU discontinued the free tuition to LU for their kids.
I know they recently still had "reclassified kids" as seniors on the team, but I can't say I know that is happening still.

Shame of it is that for the most part the school is a great place for kids but has a tarnished name in athletics because of past dealings. Some great people there who truly want to serve the Lord and promote Christian values.

So you telling me that they don't use the stadium 😂😂. I'm sure their weight room and other LCA facilities are too notch as well.
LOL well obviously they use the stadium but that only one facility, not multiple "facilities" as you stated. And their weight room and other facilities aren't anything special honestly. There are several other area public schools that have better weight room, etc.

Reactions: catchtds

Only facility is LU home field which can't be an advantage because they have no where near enough fans to fill it to capacity

Rocco's salary comes from partially how long he has been at LCA (since his kids attended) and on staff, as well as what his title is (Athletic Director)

At the end of the day, they don't have super seniors unless they do like anyone can and hold a kid back in 7th or 8th.

Thats true but to be honest Phoebus hasn’t been Phoebus since the 2012 team. 3A has never honestly played the traditional Phoebus team. Finally after all these years of honestly over achieving we are back to the talent levels we had from 2001-2012. Blunt got the trust of these parents and they are bringing them back to Phoebus. I’m not just talking when I say we are loaded this year. Good luck to all teams because we are honestly not even paying attention to anyone outside 757 right now. And I beg you please don’t bring up that Blacksburg L again…by far one of the worst L’s in program history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT