ADVERTISEMENT

LCA's Offense vs Lafayette's Defense

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object???

LCA is scoring an average of 53.3 PPG during the playoffs. Lafayette is holding opponents to an average of 3.5 PPG during the playoffs. Something's gotta give!

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object???

LCA is scoring an average of 53.3 PPG during the playoffs. Lafayette is holding opponents to an average of 3.5 PPG during the playoffs. Something's gotta give!
I say LCA will have no problem scoring at least 40.

Reactions: VolNation85
Great article by Davidson, seems to be a great kid and still only in 11th grade. He’ll be the best athlete and lca will be the best team that shows up to Liberty on Saturday. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not Clemsons starting rb in 2025. I wished these kids would’ve stayed in state cause uva and vt are struggling.

Last edited:
Good point if Phoebus beats Salem easily. I’ve seen this lca team and man they’re strong up front. But hell I haven’t seen Lafayette play so who knows. Guess we’ll find out Saturday.

Great article by Davidson, seems to be a great kid and still only in 11th grade. He’ll be the best athlete and lca will be the best team that shows up to Liberty on Saturday. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not Clemsons starting rb in 2025.
He is a great kid. Very humble and respectful. All of the LCA guys are that way honestly. The school/program catches a lot of slack because they have a few advantages that public schools don't have but the kids really are genuinely good people from my experiences.

Last edited:
I say LCA will have no problem scoring at least 40.
I wouldn't be surprised if you are right but I also wouldn't be surprised if Lafayette kept them under 40 either. By under 40 I mean between 35-39. LOL

Great article by Davidson, seems to be a great kid and still only in 11th grade. He’ll be the best athlete and lca will be the best team that shows up to Liberty on Saturday. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not Clemsons starting rb in 2025. I wished these kids would’ve stayed in state cause uva and vt are struggling.
The last time LCA was the best team that showed up at Liberty on a Saturday they lost 22-14 to the Phoebus Phantoms. Now if we check season performances we must agree that the Rams have some glitches on their schedule. The Norfolk Academy Bulldogs. They are from Norfolk, Virginia and are not on Lafayette’s schedule and they have never been accused of being anywhere close to the best team in the Eastern region. That title has gone to the Hampton Crabbers, Phoebus Phantoms and now, some say; the Maury Commodores. Norfolk Academy beat a 5-5 St. Christopher’s Saints of Richmond and they in turn defeated the Lafayette Rams who, and I hate to keep repeating this about football teams, lost to the Warhill Lions. Warhill is just your average, very average football with 2 good players. St. Christoper’s is defined by their record and these blemishes on Lafayette‘s season record had better have been corrected by kick off or the Liberty Christian Bulldogs are going to drag them up one side of the field and down the other. Common sense says: LCA 49 - Rams 3. My heart, because I love the Lafayette Rams, Rams 22 - Bulldogs 14.

The last time LCA was the best team that showed up at Liberty on a Saturday they lost 22-14 to the Phoebus Phantoms. Now if we check season performances we must agree that the Rams have some glitches on their schedule. The Norfolk Academy Bulldogs. They are from Norfolk, Virginia and are not on Lafayette’s schedule and they have never been accused of being anywhere close to the best team in the Eastern region. That title has gone to the Hampton Crabbers, Phoebus Phantoms and now, some say; the Maury Commodores. Norfolk Academy beat a 5-5 St. Christopher’s Saints of Richmond and they in turn defeated the Lafayette Rams who, and I hate to keep repeating this about football teams, lost to the Warhill Lions. Warhill is just your average, very average football with 2 good players. St. Christoper’s is defined by their record and these blemishes on Lafayette‘s season record had better have been corrected by kick off or the Liberty Christian Bulldogs are going to drag them up one side of the field and down the other. Common sense says: LCA 49 - Rams 3. My heart, because I love the Lafayette Rams, Rams 22 - Bulldogs 14.
The Rams looked pretty good against Lake Taylor and Heritage of NN but the offense really struggled at times against Brentsville. A number of 3 and out, a key int that lead to Brentsville only TD, another red zone fumble (5 yd line), some preventable penalties. Against a team the caliber of LCA, offensive points could be tough so the best defensive effort may well come up seriously short. My head, LCA 31-10. My heart Lafayette 17-14. My head has been wrong before though.

The Rams looked pretty good against Lake Taylor and Heritage of NN but the offense really struggled at times against Brentsville. A number of 3 and out, a key int that lead to Brentsville only TD, another red zone fumble (5 yd line), some preventable penalties. Against a team the caliber of LCA, offensive points could be tough so the best defensive effort may well come up seriously short. My head, LCA 31-10. My heart Lafayette 17-14. My head has been wrong before though.
It will be very difficult to beat LCA if the Rams have any turnovers. LCA simply doesn't have turnovers. I'm pretty sure they have only thrown 2-3 INTS all season and I don't think Davidson has any fumbles on the year. That's the biggest difference between this LCA team and the 2021 team that lost to Phoebus in the championship. The 2021 team was more talented than this year's team but they were not as good with ball security.

On another note, I am looking forward to seeing Lafayette play. The last time I saw them play was when I played against them in the 2002 State Championship game at Liberty.

It will be very difficult to beat LCA if the Rams have any turnovers. LCA simply doesn't have turnovers. I'm pretty sure they have only thrown 2-3 INTS all season and I don't think Davidson has any fumbles on the year. That's the biggest difference between this LCA team and the 2021 team that lost to Phoebus in the championship. The 2021 team was more talented than this year's team but they were not as good with ball security.

On another note, I am looking forward to seeing Lafayette play. The last time I saw them play was when I played against them in the 2002 State Championship game at Liberty.
You played on the Heritage team we lost to? Big 2nd half did Lafayette in.

You played on the Heritage team we lost to? Big 2nd half did Lafayette in.
Yes sir. I was the starting MLB. Thankfully we got it together in the 2nd half. The blocked punt we had was the turning point!

It sure was. I was there. You really ruined my 3 1/2 hour drive home and our repeat. But at half time I knew we had issues. Good to hear from you.
Haha sorry we ruined the ride home but I am glad we won! It's still one of the best memories I have! Nothing like winning a football state championship with your brothers! I was fortunate enough to win 3 state championships in track as well but they don't come close to winning one in football.

Last edited:
Haha sorry we ruined the ride home but I am glad we won! It's still one of the best memories I have! Nothing like winning a football state championship with your brothers! I was fortunate enough to win 3 state championships in track as well and they don't compare to winning one in football.
I agree. 21 years later these 3-4 hours drives are a little tough now, especially if a late start like now at 5 pm and in the dark on the return (rt 29 sure is dark!!). If no fan bus ( no word yet) I may just catch it on the Nhsf site. They have very good final broadcasts. My wife would really like some dinner out on Saturday! TBD.

I agree. 21 years later these 3-4 hours drives are a little tough now, especially if a late start like now at 5 pm and in the dark on the return (rt 29 sure is dark!!). If no fan bus ( no word yet) I may just catch it on the Nhsf site. They have very good final broadcasts. My wife would really like some dinner out on Saturday! TBD.
Tell the wife there are some great restaurants in Lynchburg. But I definitely understand that.

Vol, my son was a soph. on Magna Vista team in 02. We had 2 really good games against yall that year, but with the way everything played out that year I'm glad yall won the semifinal game and went on to win State. That semifinal game was a doozy, snow banks on the sidelines about 4-5 foot high.

Vol, my son was a soph. on Magna Vista team in 02. We had 2 really good games against yall that year, but with the way everything played out that year I'm glad yall won the semifinal game and went on to win State. That semifinal game was a doozy, snow banks on the sidelines about 4-5 foot high.
That MV team was loaded! I still tell stories about Korey Robertson, Alexa Hairston, BJ Jumper, the big OT they had #77?, their center #50?? (red headed guy)! They were definitely the best team we played that year! And the snow banks were crazy! LOL

What number was your son?

Can't remember his number but he was a backup as a soph. He was the starting qb on the jv that year so he wasn't going to get any pt over Alexay. That team was loaded, we went 1-1 against yall but I guess with the forfeit yall ended up undefeated in the record books. By the way my son was the starting qb in 03 when we won region but got beat in the semifinals by Wm Fleming 13-8 at old Victory Stadium in Roanoke. Fleming went the next week to the state championship and lost to guess who, Lafayette. That 02 team ran the wing T really good, Jumper ran the ball with doing damage on his mind. Red headed kid was a Shelton and he was a tough nut. Oh the memories......

Can't remember his number but he was a backup as a soph. He was the starting qb on the jv that year so he wasn't going to get any pt over Alexay. That team was loaded, we went 1-1 against yall but I guess with the forfeit yall ended up undefeated in the record books. By the way my son was the starting qb in 03 when we won region but got beat in the semifinals by Wm Fleming 13-8 at old Victory Stadium in Roanoke. Fleming went the next week to the state championship and lost to guess who, Lafayette. That 02 team ran the wing T really good, Jumper ran the ball with doing damage on his mind. Red headed kid was a Shelton and he was a tough nut. Oh the memories......
Good stuff! I think Fleming lost to Powhatan that year.

Me and BJ became well acquainted in the playoff game with him playing FB and me playing MLB. My one job was to tackle him every play whether he had the ball or not. LOL

It was Powhatan, I should have remembered that. My son went to college for baseball and a good friend of his was a running back on that Powhatan team. Yeah BJ was a load to tackle, if you did that all day I'm sure you slept well that night. No

It was Powhatan, I should have remembered that. My son went to college for baseball and a good friend of his was a running back on that Powhatan team. Yeah BJ was a load to tackle, if you did that all day I'm sure you slept well that night. No
I definitely slept well but I'm sure he did too. I was 6'3" 240lbs my senior year of HS! LOL

Gideon Davidson is the best all-around football player in the state of Virginia, regardless of classification.
And Lafayette lost to Warhill so let's keep Davis' performance today in clear perspective. I think all of the top teams regardless of classification have a player on their squad and they feel the same way about that player. But, may I ask how he performed against Salem?

And Lafayette lost to Warhill so let's keep Davis' performance today in clear perspective. I think all of the top teams regardless of classification have a player on their squad and they feel the same way about that player. But, may I ask how he performed against Salem?
I am a Salem fan. They held him down more than any other team has all year (as you saw today, that defense was pretty elite in a lot of areas) but he still had over 100 yards rushing, the game-winning TD catch and on defense had a pick and some amazing deflections and tackles to stop drives. He also forced Lewis to fair catch every punt as a gunner... just a massive difference-maker.

I am a Salem fan. They held him down more than any other team has all year (as you saw today, that defense was pretty elite in a lot of areas) but he still had over 100 yards rushing, the game-winning TD catch and on defense had a pick and some amazing deflections and tackles to stop drives. He also forced Lewis to fair catch every punt as a gunner... just a massive difference-maker.
I guess my real issue, and you know this as a Salem fan, football is a team sport right? I really like repeating myself. Lafayette lost to Warhill. Phoebus was done with Warhill at halftime. Phoebus would rip Lafayette completely apart. If LCA has the overall "best player" and they are playing a team that lost to the Warhill Lions then show me on the score board. I believe that Davis is a high quality player but there are also a number of best players on many teams in Va that can make the argument of being the actual better player.

I guess my real issue, and you know this as a Salem fan, football is a team sport right? I really like repeating myself. Lafayette lost to Warhill. Phoebus was done with Warhill at halftime. Phoebus would rip Lafayette completely apart. If LCA has the overall "best player" and they are playing a team that lost to the Warhill Lions then show me on the score board. I believe that Davis is a high quality player but there are also a number of best players on many teams in Va that can make the argument of being the actual better player.
Of course it is, my comment was only about a specific player though. Also, the transitive property thing is not always a good indication.

Davis, in my opinion, is the most game-changing all-around player in the state. Offense, defense and special teams.

Of course it is, my comment was only about a specific player though. Also, the transitive property thing is not always a good indication.

Davis, in my opinion, is the most game-changing all-around player in the state. Offense, defense and special teams.
I believe you. If the score in the Lafayette game is 21-14 right now you can keep Davis and give me Salem's best defensive player to add to the Phantom's 2024 squad. Deal?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT