ADVERTISEMENT

Loudoun Valley Vikings

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Last season, Valley won the games they should have, but conversely, lost to the three teams that we would have probably predicted. But 7-3 didn't get them enough points to keep their three season playoff run alive. This past season was also their first in 4a. But the student.population has been much higher in the past. They were classed as AAA a couple of times in previous years under the old classification system.

It is worth mentioning that long term W & M football coach, Jimmye Laycock, is a Valley alumni.

Here is what is amazing to me. They had 35 seniors on their roster last season. The Viking's total roster listed 76 players, but losing 35 to graduation can not bode well for this upcoming season.

I have pasted last season's schedule below. This season's posted schedule was incomplete.

With the loss of experienced players to this extent, I think 5 wins will be a major accomplishment.

How about you? What do you think will take place

Date Opponent Result
8/287:00p
Kettle Run (Nokesville, VA)
33 - 6Win
9/4TBA
@ Rock Ridge (Ashburn, VA)
41 - 17Win
9/11TBA
Heritage (Leesburg, VA)
41 - 35Loss
9/18TBA
@ Champe (Aldie, VA)
40 - 13Loss
9/25TBA
Dominion (Sterling, VA)
26 - 13Win
10/101:00p
@ Handley (Winchester, VA)
58 - 6Win
10/16TBA
Freedom (South Riding, VA)
44 - 7Win
10/23TBA
@ Loudoun County (Leesburg, VA)
42 - 7Win
10/307:00p
@ Park View (Sterling, VA)
40 - 29Win
11/67:00p
Woodgrove (Purcellville, VA)

I got them losing to Champe , Woodgrove, and Dominion DP. Throwing in toss up games with Kettle Run and Heritage, I will go with 6-4, or possibly 7-3. The schedule for them is favorable. I also think Loudoun County might make a resurgence, fresh new head coach, and have heard they have the talent so they could surprise LV in that game.

I got them losing to Champe , Woodgrove, and Dominion DP. Throwing in toss up games with Kettle Run and Heritage, I will go with 6-4, or possibly 7-3. The schedule for them is favorable. I also think Loudoun County might make a resurgence, fresh new head coach, and have heard they have the talent so they could surprise LV in that game.
Favorable schedule? They lose some games but Salem or GW doesn't do a lot better with that lineUp. They would be challenged. Something they are not used to during the regular season and why no one knows who they really are till the post season. Not a condemnation. I mean, Salem had to defeat 3 undefeated teams to get their rings. But they did it.

The post season says it all. Just get there.

I didn't realize Coach Laycock was a Loudoun Valley product. W&M has been darn lucky to keep him on the Reservation all these years. By and large, he's kept the Tribe in the top twenty of 1-AA, despite working with what are essentially Ivy League-level standards, in both admissions and academic achievement. I'd really like to see Laycock's boys bring home the big trophy before he hangs up the whistle. I see where W&M is again ranked in the preseason national top ten this year. Go Tribe!

As far as the LV Vikings, I'd guess 5-5 or 6-4.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
A'm I correct when I say Coach Laycock had accepted a coaching job somewhere else a number of years back? And then changed his mind at the very last second? And I think his decision was based primarily on his belief that he thought he was betraying the kids he had recruited?

A'm I correct when I say Coach Laycock had accepted a coaching job somewhere else a number of years back? And then changed his mind at the very last second? And I think his decision was based primarily on his belief that he thought he was betraying the kids he had recruited?

It does seem like that rings a bell, but I couldn't come up with the particulars, without looking it up.

Not sure how you think Salem doesn't do better than 7-3 with that schedule but ok.
Didn't say that. Just said the schedule would be a challenge. They'd have to fight for their season.

I do think the schedule helps them to sit many starters in the second half and get kids experience. Saves injuries too.

But that's just IMO. They had to defeat 3 undefeated teams in a row to get where they did last year. My opinion doesn't mean a whole lot when you can just wave a ring in my face.

Salem plays the games in front of them , and wins. Actually they pretty much win all of them year in and year out. The best two teams from Northern Va last year were Champe, and Woodgrove. Salem would have smacked both of those teams with starters sitting in the second half. IMO . Salem would be the best team in the Dulles district if they played that schedule year in and year out. Of course there could be a occasional Briar Woods or Broad Run, but no team would be as consistent as Salem. Have to credit where credit is due. last time Salem lost to a Northern Va team was Sherando in 2013. When was the last time a Northern Va team went to Salem and beat them there?

It does seem like that rings a bell, but I couldn't come up with the particulars, without looking it up.
Personal Muses Dictate Laycock's Change Of Heart
Skip Miller
December 20, 1990|By SKIP MILLER Staff Writer
A month ago come Christmas Eve, Jimmye Laycock was sitting in a Zable Stadium ticket office that had been commandeered for an interview room.

A strange place to find the man who had just coached William & Mary to its first 10-victory season. A man who had given the school its first NCAA Division I-AA playoff victory, a 38-0 shutout of Massachusetts.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

The Tribe had been dominating. The only uneasy episode occurred late in the game. The Minutemen were on the march against W&M's reserves; only an interception stopped them from scoring.

"Did you think about putting the starters back in to preserve the shutout," Laycock was asked by one of the reporters jammed into the ticket office.

"Nope," he said, shaking his head for emphasis. "Those guys who were in there deserved to play."

Just like Laycock deserved the chance to coach Boston College, the chance he accepted and then, after a night's thinking, rejected.

This morning, at the hour Boston College had scheduled a press conference to introduce Layock as its head football coach, Laycock was in William & Mary Hall explaining why he changed his mind.

He will remain at William & Mary. His ambition to accept the challenge of a major college program returned to the holding tank it's occupied for the past few years.

On the surface, there was no logical way for Laycock to turn down Boston College. If the numbers kicked around were correct, he would have more than doubled his salary. He would have gone to a school rich in tradition and resources, though presently mired a few notches below mediocre - the Eagles have had four losing seasons in a row.

But logic cannot always be crammed into the compartment of emotion. Laycock has spent almost half of his life in Williamsburg. He played quarterback there for Lou Holtz in the Sixties. He's coached there for the past 11 years.

He built a college program that uniquely carries his signature. Think of William & Mary football and you think of the passing game. Think of the passing game and you think of the genius of Jimmye Laycock.

It is that genius that made him so attractive to Boston College. And vice versa. The Eagles need a quick fix. In a town where football has come to mean dull, losing games at every level, from the National Football League Patriots on down, a Laycock passing attack would at least retain fan interest until victories could be collected.

But there always would be pressure to produce. From the administration to the fans to the media. For a fiercely private, seemingly shy, individual like Laycock that pressure could be a private hell.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Salem plays the games in front of them , and wins. Actually they pretty much win all of them year in and year out. The best two teams from Northern Va last year were Champe, and Woodgrove. Salem would have smacked both of those teams with starters sitting in the second half. IMO . Salem would be the best team in the Dulles district if they played that schedule year in and year out. Of course there could be a occasional Briar Woods or Broad Run, but no team would be as consistent as Salem. Have to credit where credit is due. last time Salem lost to a Northern Va team was Sherando in 2013. When was the last time a Northern Va team went to Salem and beat them there?
SpartanOfYore would be the man to ask about NOVA/Salem tilts, but the only time they have played NOVA teams in the last 20 years was deep in the playoffs because of the regional format. Previous to the Sherando defeat they beat Park View Sterling in '99 & '00 even though they were considered underdogs in both games. They beat Sherando in the '96 title game. They lost to Spotsylvania in '91. They had several battles with Courtland back in the late 80's with Salem winning their fair share. From the inception of SHS in '77 up through the early 80's they played several NOVA schools losing more than they won. That was the era before Willis White. From '77-82 Salem was 17-42-1, White arrived in '83.

From '83-'03 with White, they were 201-51-3 with 6 Title appearances & 4 Titles. Steve Magenbauer was brought up in White's system and took over in '04. Since he took over he's led the Spartans to a 136-20 record with 4 Title appearances and 3 Titles. The 2 eras span 33 years with 1 losing season, (4-5-1 in White's first season) 28 years of playoffs, (missing playoffs with a 9-1 & 8-2 record in '84 & '03) a record of 337-71-3 (83%) overall, 63-20 (76%) in the playoffs & 7 Titles in 10 appearances. I guess you could say they had/have pretty good coaches with amazing success against competition from this area and the state as a whole.

I think there are only a few programs in the state that can match titles, wins, or both.

Powell Valley has 7 Titles over that time frame (8 total going back to '82) idk about wins, but they are a Top team for sure. They represent the small schools on this very selective list.

Phoebus also has 7 Titles and their win totals the last 17 years is actually ahead of Salem by 16 over the "VHSL-Reference era," but they don't have the wins to match Salem over the course of the last 33 years (i know this is a selective time frame coinciding with Salem's success)

I don't have the exact numbers, but obviously the most dominant team over the course of that time frame is Hampton. They have 8 Championships from '84-present and their win totals over that same time frame meet or most likely exceed Salem's totals in that time frame.

Hampton is in a class of their own overall with 17 titles and I think over 7-800 wins in program's history, winning at least 1 Title every decade for the last 8. Hampton, Salem, Phoebus, and Appalachia are the Top Va teams dating back to '84.

Last edited:
Personal Muses Dictate Laycock's Change Of Heart
Skip Miller
December 20, 1990|By SKIP MILLER Staff Writer
A month ago come Christmas Eve, Jimmye Laycock was sitting in a Zable Stadium ticket office that had been commandeered for an interview room.

A strange place to find the man who had just coached William & Mary to its first 10-victory season. A man who had given the school its first NCAA Division I-AA playoff victory, a 38-0 shutout of Massachusetts.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

The Tribe had been dominating. The only uneasy episode occurred late in the game. The Minutemen were on the march against W&M's reserves; only an interception stopped them from scoring.

"Did you think about putting the starters back in to preserve the shutout," Laycock was asked by one of the reporters jammed into the ticket office.

"Nope," he said, shaking his head for emphasis. "Those guys who were in there deserved to play."

Just like Laycock deserved the chance to coach Boston College, the chance he accepted and then, after a night's thinking, rejected.

This morning, at the hour Boston College had scheduled a press conference to introduce Layock as its head football coach, Laycock was in William & Mary Hall explaining why he changed his mind.

He will remain at William & Mary. His ambition to accept the challenge of a major college program returned to the holding tank it's occupied for the past few years.

On the surface, there was no logical way for Laycock to turn down Boston College. If the numbers kicked around were correct, he would have more than doubled his salary. He would have gone to a school rich in tradition and resources, though presently mired a few notches below mediocre - the Eagles have had four losing seasons in a row.

But logic cannot always be crammed into the compartment of emotion. Laycock has spent almost half of his life in Williamsburg. He played quarterback there for Lou Holtz in the Sixties. He's coached there for the past 11 years.

He built a college program that uniquely carries his signature. Think of William & Mary football and you think of the passing game. Think of the passing game and you think of the genius of Jimmye Laycock.

It is that genius that made him so attractive to Boston College. And vice versa. The Eagles need a quick fix. In a town where football has come to mean dull, losing games at every level, from the National Football League Patriots on down, a Laycock passing attack would at least retain fan interest until victories could be collected.

But there always would be pressure to produce. From the administration to the fans to the media. For a fiercely private, seemingly shy, individual like Laycock that pressure could be a private hell.

Good article; thanks for posting.

Good article; thanks for posting.

I got curious. And I got to second guessing myself. It didn't take much digging though. I put in Coach's name and saw the page with archived articles about him from the Virginia Pilot paper.

Besides, I had to beat Bleeding Navy to the punch. He remembers this stuff like it happened yesterday!

SpartanOfYore would be the man to ask about NOVA/Salem tilts, but the only time they have played NOVA teams in the last 20 years was deep in the playoffs because of the regional format. Previous to the Sherando defeat they beat Park View Sterling in '99 & '00 even though they were considered underdogs in both games. They beat Sherando in the '96 title game. They lost to Spotsylvania in '91. They had several battles with Courtland back in the late 80's with Salem winning their fair share. From the inception of SHS in '77 up through the early 80's they played several NOVA schools losing more than they won. That was the era before Willis White. From '77-83 Salem was 21-47-2, I believe White arrived in '84.

From '84-'03 with White, they were 197-46-2 with 6 Title appearances & 4 Titles. Steve Magenbauer was brought up in White's system and took over in '04. Since he took over he's led the Spartans to a 136-20 record with 4 Title appearances and 3 Titles. The 2 eras span 32 years with no losing seasons, 28 years of playoffs, (missing playoffs with a 9-1 & 8-2 record in '84 & '03) a record of 333-66-2 (83%) overall, 63-20 (76%) in the playoffs & 7 Titles in 10 appearances. I guess you could say they had/have pretty good coaches with amazing success against competition from this area and the state as a whole.

Coach White's first year was '83, Mike.

What exactly constitutes "Northern Virginia"? I think of it as the counties of Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William, and all the independent cities therein. Wikipedia says that's the narrowest interpretation. Stafford County has grown to the extent where it probably now could be considered part of NOVA; Frederick Co. still seems like it is not. Although it definitely is in "northern Virginia", it's still just west of what most people consider "Northern Virginia." Hamspear will have to tell us what the people who actually live there think; I'll yield to his judgement on this. Fauquier Co. I have never considered part of NOVA.

By that definition, Spotsylvania and Courtland aren't NOVA. Salem lost its only meeting with Spotsy; Salem and Courtland split their only two meetings, in the playoffs of '86 and '87.

Salem really has never met any NOVA teams outside of the playoffs, so there is no regular season history there. Again, I don't include Fauquier, who Salem played a couple of times in the regular season in the '80's. Salem played George Marshall in '86 at W. T. Woodson in Fairfax, in the state semis. As you noted, the Spartans met Park View of Sterling in the state finals in '99 and '00, both at JMU. Then there've been the playoff games at Salem Stadium the past three seasons with Woodgrove (twice) and Dominion, and the one at Champe. If we include Frederick Co., Salem has split two games with Sherando.

I don't think Salem's ever played any Prince William-area schools, although I'm wondering if the Spartans might have played Woodbridge once or twice in the '70's. Don't think they did, but there's a little lingering doubt.

Speaking of that, Mike - do you have the link to the history section of the old Salem football site? I think you posted that link back during the winter. The current Salem football site, the Google one that the school site leads you to, is rotten with errors.

What exactly constitutes "Northern Virginia"? I think of it as the counties of Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William, and all the independent cities therein. Wikipedia says that's the narrowest interpretation. Stafford County has grown to the extent where it probably now could be considered part of NOVA; Frederick Co. still seems like it is not. Although it definitely is in "northern Virginia", it's still just west of what most people consider "Northern Virginia." Hamspear will have to tell us what the people who actually live there think; I'll yield to his judgement on this. Fauquier Co. I have never considered part of NOVA.

By that definition, Spotsylvania and Courtland aren't NOVA. Salem lost its only meeting with Spotsy; Salem and Courtland split their only two meetings, in the playoffs of '86 and '87.

Salem really has never met any NOVA teams outside of the playoffs, so there is no regular season history there. Again, I don't include Fauquier, who Salem played a couple of times in the regular season in the '80's. Salem played George Marshall in '86 at W. T. Woodson in Fairfax, in the state semis. As you noted, the Spartans met Park View of Sterling in the state finals in '99 and '00, both at JMU. Then there've been the playoff games at Salem Stadium the past three seasons with Woodgrove (twice) and Dominion, and the one at Champe. If we include Frederick Co., Salem has split two games with Sherando.

I don't think Salem's ever played any Prince William-area schools, although I'm wondering if the Spartans might have played Woodbridge once or twice in the '70's. Don't think they did, but there's a little lingering doubt.

Speaking of that, Mike - do you have the link to the history section of the old Salem football site? I think you posted that link back during the winter. The current Salem football site, the Google one that the school site leads you to, is rotten with errors.
I don't have the link to the site unfortunately, it was a gold mine of valuable information. I copied the W/L record sometime within the last year using the old site. If I had known they were going to remove it I would have copied more of the information. The old site wasn't updated past 2012 (records against opponents wasn't updated past 2009) and the new site wasn't started till 2014 I think? Unfortunately, it has not been kept up to date like the old one was with game stats and other things.

I offered at one time to try and organize and merge the sites together into the Google site, but there was uncertainty at the time about what format the site would even take. The other part of the problem is I have no experience with Google sites and wouldn't even know where to start on transferring the information over. I suggested they could get computer class volunteers to transfer the information over and I could update the site weekly during the season, but things have just gotten so far behind I think the challenge appears insurmountable. In the overall scheme of things keeping an updated website pales in comparison to a winning program. I just wish someone with the requisite computer skills could transfer the information and I would gladly keep it up to date.i just don't think anyone knows where to even start to fix the problem unfortunately.

Thanks for the correction.

I put Sherando in NOVA because Hamspear mentioned them as being NOVA. In the DC MSA I think Frederick Co is included in the NOVA population. It's quite a ways West to be included I think. I'm not sure what the residents there think. I think Spotsylvania and Fredericksburg are included in the DC MSA also. Even Martinsburg WV is included if I'm not mistaken. I guess what's considered NOVA is open for discussion, with various opinions.

I do seem to remember Woodbridge being listed as an opponent for 2 years in the late 70's.

Last edited:
You win the games you should. Salem does that. You don't need one hand to count how many other teams in VA do that. By the record, best program in VA. No question, regardless of level.

Last season, Valley won the games they should have, but conversely, lost to the three teams that we would have probably predicted. But 7-3 didn't get them enough points to keep their three season playoff run alive. This past season was also their first in 4a. But the student.population has been much higher in the past. They were classed as AAA a couple of times in previous years under the old classification system.

It is worth mentioning that long term W & M football coach, Jimmye Laycock, is a Valley alumni.

Here is what is amazing to me. They had 35 seniors on their roster last season. The Viking's total roster listed 76 players, but losing 35 to graduation can not bode well for this upcoming season.

I have pasted last season's schedule below. This season's posted schedule was incomplete.

With the loss of experienced players to this extent, I think 5 wins will be a major accomplishment.

How about you? What do you think will take place

Date Opponent Result
8/287:00p
Kettle Run (Nokesville, VA)
33 - 6Win
9/4TBA
@ Rock Ridge (Ashburn, VA)
41 - 17Win
9/11TBA
Heritage (Leesburg, VA)
41 - 35Loss
9/18TBA
@ Champe (Aldie, VA)
40 - 13Loss
9/25TBA
Dominion (Sterling, VA)
26 - 13Win
10/101:00p
@ Handley (Winchester, VA)
58 - 6Win
10/16TBA
Freedom (South Riding, VA)
44 - 7Win
10/23TBA
@ Loudoun County (Leesburg, VA)
42 - 7Win
10/307:00p
@ Park View (Sterling, VA)
40 - 29Win
11/67:00p
Woodgrove (Purcellville, VA)

Last year's team was missing 2 or 3 difference makers due to injury which hurt against better teams. Interesting to note the Vikings were beating Champe on the road early before starting qb was knocked out of game.

Valley will be young but has a very talented rising jr. class. Their rising sr. class is small but has several talented players at key positions, qb, wr and rb. The oline will be much larger and average over 250lbs. Front 7 on defense will be very physical. Depth will be biggest concern. Woodgrove, Champe and Dominion will be toughest opponents. All three of those teams lost lots of quality seniors as well. For my money, look at teams returning their qbs. It will be interesting to see who develops in Loudoun. Woodgrove is team to beat though they graduated a lot of quality players but have developed a formidable program.

I would have to admit the winchester / Frederick county area by most peoples accounts would not be considered Northern Virginia. I think most people consider Northern Va dividing line to be mountain ridge when cross over into Loudoun county. My fault in including Sherando and Frederick county in the Northern Virginia conversation. Frederick County is farther North than any other county, and is becoming more like Loudoun every day. I have a habit of saying we are in Northern Virginia , mapquest yes, DC suburbs no. Hope that clears it up from my perspective .

Reactions: mike salem
I would have to admit the winchester / Frederick county area by most peoples accounts would not be considered Northern Virginia. I think most people consider Northern Va dividing line to be mountain ridge when cross over into Loudoun county. My fault in including Sherando and Frederick county in the Northern Virginia conversation. Frederick County is farther North than any other county, and is becoming more like Loudoun every day. I have a habit of saying we are in Northern Virginia , mapquest yes, DC suburbs no. Hope that clears it up from my perspective .

Frederick and Clarke Counties are part of the Northernmost portion of Va. So, geographically, we're Northern Va. Frederick County has, for tax reasons (that I heard many years ago), stayed out of the designated D.C. metro region. I'm guessing Clarke has as well. So in short, I agree with you 100% Hammy.

Reactions: mike salem
Frederick and Clarke Counties are part of the Northernmost portion of Va. So, geographically, we're Northern Va. Frederick County has, for tax reasons (that I heard many years ago), stayed out of the designated D.C. metro region. I'm guessing Clarke has as well. So in short, I agree with you 100% Hammy.
At this time, NOVA is not geographic. It means DC commutable. i think there are some individuals that can do that but I do not think Clarke or Frederick qualify.

Last edited:
Well there are a ton of people in Frederick and Clarke county that commute to DC every day.
I've known some long commuters. I, myself was one. Though irregular, 150 miles a day was not unusual. Often more.

I doubt there are a ton of people from those counties commuting that far but I Will not dispute there must be some.

History and due respect means I will not argue this point. You say it's so. I accept it.

I do not accept Frederick and Clarke County as NOVA. West of Leesburg is where the line is drawn for me. IMO.

Just get on 66Eor Route 7 E at about 5 AM during the week and look at the Red taillights light up the the road. Now not all of them are going to downtown DC, however inside the beltway sure is a lot.

Just get on 66Eor Route 7 E at about 5 AM during the week and look at the Red taillights light up the the road. Now not all of them are going to downtown DC, however inside the beltway sure is a lot.
At 5AM and from that distance and going inside the beltway, you're already late for work.

But like I said, I'm sure there are those that do this and I take your word for it.

I may be missing out on a lot by living here in little ol' Salem, but I'm glad I don't have to sit in bumper to bumper traffic every day.

I am very fortunate to have found a job that does not require me to commute to DC anymore! At least, for as long as this contract is for.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT