ADVERTISEMENT

Loudoun Valley wins first regional title since 1972

21base

VaPreps All District
Jun 1, 2006
Shout out to coach Wayne Todd and his Vikings for winning the program's first regional title since 1972. They defeated Poquoson on Friday night for the 3A East region title. The Vikings are two wins away from their first state baseball title since 1972, a year in which they beat Tunstall in the final game. They could see Tunstall again if THS wins its state semi and Valley wins its against William Byrd.

Coach Todd won a state AA title in 1991 at Broad Run, beating Louisa at old Memorial Stadium in Harrisonburg.

Todd has been a head coach for two Loudoun County schools for a total of 37 seasons! He was at Broad Run from 1978-1996 and has been at Loudoun Valley since 1997.

Good luck next week to Coach Todd and the Vikings!

I would like to see Valley and Tunstall play for the title next Saturday. Same thing in 4A I'd like to see Millbrook and Hanover. I'm not a fan of this cross bracketing especially when they get this deep in the playoffs. To me these four are the best remaining. I don't mean to put down the other four teams they all have been good this season. I mean sure I'd be happy to see Sherando win again but Millbrook has played them five times and won them all. When teams get to the championship game I like to see schools that have not played each other during regular season. I don't know if you knew or not but I see were James Wood has recently installed a brand new scoreboard. Really nice; has room to show 10 innings. Across the top it spells out James Wood Colonels and a JW at very top. Something they have needed for a long time. Hopefully not to long in the future Millbrook will get a new one. In the 4A championship game I know wouldn't have to be Sherando vs. Millbrook; it could be Sherando/Grafton or Hanover/Grafton.
This post was edited on 6/7 5:07 PM by Bluetree

Millbrook/Grafton time change

Friday's 4A semifinal has been moved from a 6:00PM start to now a 9:00AM start. This was done because of Grafton having their graduation Friday evening. 3A game Tunstall/Poquoson will now be at 6:00PM.

This post was edited on 6/13 9:18 PM by Bluetree

Millbrook/Grafton semifinal updates- FINAL Millbrook 10 Grafton 3

After 1 Millbrook 1-0; MB scored with runners at 1st and 2nd and two outs on a infield throwing error. After 2 MB 1-0; In the top of the 2nd Grafton had runners at 1st and 3rd 2 outs. Infield grounder runner slid into home; MB catcher dropped ball but runner missed plate and was called out. After 3 MB 4-0. MB scored two of them runs on a throwing error by the Grafton 3rd baseman. After 4 MB 6-0; Grafton throwing errors just killing them. With two outs and bases loaded; Ryan Hartigan hit a grounder to short but the second baseman did not cover 2nd and the throw to 1st went over the 1st baseman's head. Bottom of the 5th MB two on no outs; Grafton Starter Evan Sperling is taken out. Rick Dearing now in. After 5 MB 10-0; With two on and two outs another Grafton error brings in two then MB adds two more. MB Fr. starter Anthony Simonelli looking strong thru 5. Top of the 6th Grafton bases loaded no outs. Two singles bring in two; Simonelli taken out; Trey Braithwaite now pitching. After 5 1/2 MB 10-3. After 6 Millbrook 10-3. Colin Benner in to pitch Millbrook's 7th. FINAL Millbrook 10-3. Grafton 3-5-4 Millbrook 10-10-0. Now they wait for the winner of the Hanover/Sherando game for tomorrow's 4A championship.

This post was edited on 6/13 10:42 PM by Bluetree

3A FINAL Loudoun Valley 3 William Byrd 1

Valley will play winner of the Tunstall/Poquoson game. In the 3rd Valley's Sam Urban hits a two run double. In the 4th Valley scored one after 3 walks and a sacrifice. Top 7th Byrd got a run after starting inning with two on and no outs.
This post was edited on 6/13 2:55 PM by Bluetree

Hanover/Sherando semifinal updates FINAL Hanover 6 Sherando 2

After 1 0-0. Top 1st Sherando left two on. Starting pitchers Hanover Gray Lyttle Sherando Adam Whitacre. After 2 0-0 Whitacre picked off runner at 1st for the 3rd out. After 3 Hanover 1-0. Hanover had runners on 1st and 3rd two outs. They used a delay steal and after throw to second runner came in to score. After 3 1/2 Hanover 1-0. Sherando left 2 on. After 4 Hanover 3-0; Trevor Denton and Elliott Sledd each had RBI singles. Top 5th Sherando two on 1 out. Lyttle is taken out ; Hayden Moore how in to pitch. After 4 1/2 Hanover 3-2. Hayden Fox 2 run RBI single. After 5 Hanover 3-2. Sherando ended Hanover 5th with a DP. Top 6th Denton now on to pitch for Hanover. After 5 1/2 Hanover 3-2; Sherando went 1-2-3 in that half. Bottom 6th Hanover 4-2; Hanover sac. fly to right. Tyler Michaud now in to pitch for Sherando. After 6 Hanover 6-2 FINAL Hanover 6 Sherando 2. Sherando 2-6-1 Hanover 6-7-1. Hanover/Millbrook tomorrow for the 4A State Championship at 1:00PM.

This post was edited on 6/13 10:42 PM by Bluetree

3A Tunstall/Poquoson semifinal updates FINAL Poquoson 6 Tunstall 0

Game started at 6:06. Starting pitchers Tunstall Chris Buckner Poquoson Richie Cannella. After 1 0-0. After 2 0-0. After 2 1/2 Poquoson 2-0; Michael Nestor 2 run single. After 3 Poquoson 2-0; Tunstall had runners 1st and 2nd 1 out; but grounded into a 1-6-3 DP. After 4 Poquoson 2-0. Tunstall left two on. Top of the 5th Poquoson goes 1-2-3. After 5 Poquoson 2-0; Tunstall also goes 1-2-3. After 5 1/2 still 2-0. Poquoson left one on. After 6 Poquoson 2-0; Tunstall left 1 on. Buckner still is pitching for Tunstall top 7th. After 6 1/2 Poquoson gets 4 more. Nestor hit a 3 run double to left now after 2 singles and an IW now 6-0. FINAL Poquoson 6 Tunstall 0. Tomorrow's 3A State Championship will be Loudoun Valley vs. Poquoson starting at 10:00AM.

This post was edited on 6/13 10:43 PM by Bluetree

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT