ADVERTISEMENT

Lunenburg at Gap...what should we expect?

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Since Riverheads has been the only 1-A team in the Shenandoah for quite some time, we have no idea how Buffalo Gap will fare now that they have dropped down. On the one hand, you might expect them to do well since they are used to playing at the 2-A level. But I see that Lunenburg scored in the 50s against Surry Friday night, and they have an 8-2 record, so they must be at least halfway decent. So can the Chargers make the long trip pay off or do we really have a good chance for a BG/RHS re-match in the Region B final?

Reactions: Bama1985
My wife is from down that way, Victoria. Central is pretty dang good. Lost to Buckingham I believe in overtime and lost only 28-14 to Nottoway. Nottoway is vicious this year, but Nottoway and Central is a rivalry game. Calpreps has is 24-22 in favor of Central. Should be a great game.

Since Riverheads has been the only 1-A team in the Shenandoah for quite some time, we have no idea how Buffalo Gap will fare now that they have dropped down. On the one hand, you might expect them to do well since they are used to playing at the 2-A level. But I see that Lunenburg scored in the 50s against Surry Friday night, and they have an 8-2 record, so they must be at least halfway decent. So can the Chargers make the long trip pay off or do we really have a good chance for a BG/RHS re-match in the Region B final?
I believe Central put 78 on Surry and have scored a lot of points this year. Although vs some weaker JRD teams.

Two ends of the spectrum here. Central by a bunch or Gap by a bunch. This might be the game to see in 1A this week if both are legitimately as good as those that are familiar with both think.

Nottoway is a pretty good football team.
Before 28 unanswered points by Nottoway in the 2nd half, Central had them shutout 14-0 at halftime and that aint nothin!

Gap looks to be fundamentally sound and well coached, but doesn't appear to be particularly big up front or particularly fast (Central is fast). I'm not sure where they find enough defense to stop Central from scoring 28+. I also don't think they can put up that many points against a Central Defense that's been pretty stingy all year. Central 28 Gap 20.

Yep, for Central to be up 14-0 on Nottoway was very impressive. Nottoway if really, really good this year. Still, Nottoway and Central is a rivalry game so a closer score historically isn't a surprise. I think Buffalo Gap can win this game, but I would be very surprised if they did. The team that Riverheads beat (Central) in the region finals this past spring has got a whole, whole lot better. I think Central is actually slightly better than Galax this year. Galax is always one bad bunch, but this year, I think the second best Class 1 team in Virginia is Central. But, no way to know, as Central may lose this weekend.

Reactions: Reecesdad
Yep, for Central to be up 14-0 on Nottoway was very impressive. Nottoway if really, really good this year. Still, Nottoway and Central is a rivalry game so a closer score historically isn't a surprise. I think Buffalo Gap can win this game, but I would be very surprised if they did. The team that Riverheads beat (Central) in the region finals this past spring has got a whole, whole lot better. I think Central is actually slightly better than Galax this year. Galax is always one bad bunch, but this year, I think the second best Class 1 team in Virginia is Central. But, no way to know, as Central may lose this weekend.
Not trying to be an a$$ but if they lose this weekend then they are definitely not the 2nd best team in 1A. I saw them in person in the spring and to put it bluntly they were awful. They will have had to improve by light years to even be in the game with Galax much less beat them. Sorry Im not buying what your selling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT