ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsburg WV vs LCA 10/07

Mike, you know LCA better than anyone on this forum. Is it safe to assume that LCA wants this top level of competition for the purpose of gaining experience against top tier teams? Or did they just need games and took what was available? Do you think they believe they will take their licks as part of a learning process., or are they convinced they can beat these teams? I get a sense of arogence. That they believe they are already at a level that they can compete with the top level public school teams. (Which I personally don't believe).

Why does Martinsburg play so many Va. teams? Do they struggle to find competive teams to play at their level in WV.

Mike, you know LCA better than anyone on this forum. Is it safe to assume that LCA wants this top level of competition for the purpose of gaining experience against top tier teams? Or did they just need games and took what was available? Do you think they believe they will take their licks as part of a learning process., or are they convinced they can beat these teams? I get a sense of arogence. That they believe they are already at a level that they can compete with the top level public school teams. (Which I personally don't believe).

Why does Martinsburg play so many Va. teams? Do they struggle to find competive teams to play at their level in WV.
Traditionally, many of the Winchester area schools and now even Loudoun Co schools offer Martinsburg competition at a level during the regular season that they would likely only face in the state playoffs within an hour or so. (Closer than many of the WV schools, better competition, and a wide variety of opponents to choose from)

I believe LCA is just looking to fill its schedule this year with public school teams. With the 2 year scheduling cycle they don't have many options because most teams are locked in. Amherst happened to have an opening because the Florida game was a 1 time deal. Martinsburg apparently doesn't have the 2 year scheduling cycle that Va schools have so they just happened to have an opening. I think LCA is only playing these teams because they can't find any other PS teams with open dates. They are toughening their schedule and this is the only way they can do it this year. Next year they will be in the Seminole and their scheduling dilemma will be solved.

I don't believe the scheduling reflects arrogance on the part of LCA. Any thoughts they had of already being on a level with 4A PS teams in the playoffs was quickly brought into check by the beatdown Millbrook gave them last year. I think Millbrook was much better last year than they traditionally have been, but still they beat LCA 65-18 I believe. I think they have been notified there is much work for them to do so they can get to playoff level with the VHSL. I have seen a proposal for LCA to drop to 3A, I'm not sure if that would take effect this year or next and whether the VHSL will allow them to drop. With their Private school formula (multiplying enrollment by 1.5) I'm not sure how close they are to being able to drop.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I like what LCA is doing. You cannot beat the best until you play the best.

I like what LCA is doing. You cannot beat the best until you play the best.
Ok Shauntclair playing the best doesn't always make you the best. Lol, I agree with Mike, they just needed to fill their schedule and of course Amherst seems to be the only local team that has scheduled them in the past until they have no choice, which I will never agree with.

Ok Shauntclair playing the best doesn't always make you the best. Lol, I agree with Mike, they just needed to fill their schedule and of course Amherst seems to be the only local team that has scheduled them in the past until they have no choice, which I will never agree with.
Gretna scheduled them a few years back. Played a home and home.

Yeah Gretna and Amherst are the only good PS that LCA has played so far. LCA was just a benefit game in the past..
Yes it was a benefit game but they still scheduled them. Amherst other games were bigger schools and it helped them in rankings.

Yes it was a benefit game but they still scheduled them. Amherst other games were bigger schools and it helped them in rankings.
I like Amherst's scheduling in the past. They will play anybody anywhere. Hopefully they are back as perennial contenders. (As long as they don't beat Salem)

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
They always have played anyone. They might not beat Salem this year but they will again
It will be a good game that I'm looking forward to, since it's at home this year. Hopefully I'll see you Wikki, it's been 5 or 6 years since our meeting. I think the game will be much closer than last year's games, especially considering it's the first game. Amherst has a lot returning and a lot of last year's JV will make a significant impact this year. Salem will be replacing 7 on the lines and the backfield so they'll have to hit the ground running so to speak.

It will be a good game that I'm looking forward to, since it's at home this year. Hopefully I'll see you Wikki, it's been 5 or 6 years since our meeting. I think the game will be much closer than last year's games, especially considering it's the first game. Amherst has a lot returning and a lot of last year's JV will make a significant impact this year. Salem will be replacing 7 on the lines and the backfield so they'll have to hit the ground running so to speak.
Just remind me closer to the game and I will make sure I say hello to you. I completely forgot to stop by when we played you guys in the playoffs.

Reactions: mike salem
Yeah we didn't have our starting QB that night either just saying.

Yeah we didn't have our starting QB that night either just saying.
I was really impressed with Amherst's JV this year. With what you have moving up and returning a lot of the key players from Varsity it should be a good year for you Wikki. I expect them to contend for the Seminole. Brookville is usually in the mix, Heritage should jump up, JF will probably drop down a bit. I think the Seminole could be a Four horse race. I'm hoping Glass will improve alot, I think Woody is a great coach. Rustburg returns a couple key players, but honestly they and Liberty both have a depth issue in competing at the upper echelon of the Seminole. It becomes most noticeable against good teams in the 4Q. That's just my humble opinion. I grew up in Rustburg so I always wish them nothing but the best, but the Seminole is the toughest district nearly every year for mid sized schools. (3/4A) I don't think there is another district in the state who has every member with a Title and can match the quality of coaches that the Seminole has. (Christmas, Woody, Bradley, Watts, Meeks, Phillips, and Baker)

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I was really impressed with Amherst's JV this year. With what you have moving up and returning a lot of the key players from Varsity it should be a good year for you Wikki. I expect them to contend for the Seminole. Brookville is usually in the mix, Heritage should jump up, JF will probably drop down a bit. I think the Seminole could be a Four horse race. I'm hoping Glass will improve alot, I think Woody is a great coach. Rustburg returns a couple key players, but honestly they and Liberty both have a depth issue in competing at the upper echelon of the Seminole. It becomes most noticeable against good teams in the 4Q. That's just my humble opinion. I grew up in Rustburg so I always wish them nothing but the best, but the Seminole is the toughest district nearly every year for mid sized schools. (3/4A) I don't think there is another district in the state who has every member with a Title and can match the quality of coaches that the Seminole has. (Christmas, Woody, Bradley, Watts, Meeks, Phillips, and Baker)

Hit the nail on the head with that assessment. Couldn't agree more with all of it.

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT