ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville 82 - GW Danville 68

Mayberryite

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 17, 2007
Bulldogs avenge 2 early losses with a huge road win against 4A GW.

This post was edited on 1/24 7:55 PM by Mayberryite

I was there at the game and I'm glad I went. Martinsville came out on fire in first quarter as they hit six treys in that quarter, including 2 each by Zanthius Hairston and Devonntae Holland as they led 27-12 after one quarter. Tamario Rodgers & Isaiah Bethel led a comeback in the 2nd as they combined for 13 of the Eagles' 18 points. Despite outscoring the Bulldogs 18-11, GW trailed Martinsville 38-30 at halftime.

GW would put pressure on M'ville and got within five points. It was during this stretch or right before, a MHS player about clothesline GW's Khajuan Watkins for a intentional foul. They only converted 1 of 2 and turned the ball over. The lead went back up to double digits as the Bulldogs kept knocking down shots. Curtis Pilson, the player that got in trouble in their first game in Martinsville, closed out the quarter as he threw up a half-court shot (thinking that clock was almost out when it was about 8 seconds left) and it went in as Martinsville entered the fourth quarter 58-43. The 4th quarter was a high scoring one as both teams combined for 49 points in the period. Holland dominated the post as he scored 14 of his game-high 34 points in the quarter; GW scored 25 points in the period but it wasn't enough as Martinsville topped the Eagles 82-68 at GWHS. The Bulldogs controlled the boards against the Eagles, especially in the 2nd half. (honestly,this GW squad is the smallest one by height I've seen in a while). Holland had to have had at least 17 rebounds.

GW-DANVILLE : Tamario Rodgers - 18 (2 3pts), Isaiah Bethel - 18 (2 3pts), K. Watkins - 15, C. Wilson - 5, P. Robinson - 5, A. Jones  - 5, & Antonel Myler Jr. - 2. FTs: 13-23 3pts: 4.

MARTINSVILLE: D. Holland 34 (12-17 FT, 2 3pt),  Z. Hairston 17 (3 3pt), C. Pilson 13 (3 3pt),  A. Martin 13 (1 3pt), J. Dandridge 3 (1 3pt), & C. Bailey 2. FTs: 14-23, 3pts: 10.

Game officials: C. Hodnett, T. Reese, & C. Lee.
JV Boys Score: 61-55 Martinsville

thetrey glad to see the 'dogs back on the victory trail. he be wonderin' if'n de 'dogs on de road to richmond dis year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT