ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville and R.E.Lee(Staunton) will collide January 21st....

leemen

VaPreps All District
Feb 12, 2004
According to Lee's basketball schedule they have a game with Martinsville in Rockbridge County for the Rock the Ribbon Classic.

Lee is going to be a state title contender this season and will be led by standout Darius George.

spacer.gif

Catching the Dogs at a good time. They will be short and slow this year, not much coming back from back to back state champs. The Dogs don't run from competition though, I guess being 2A in a district with all 3-6A teams kind of conditions you to that. They'll show up but it might be like going bear hunting with a switch this year against Lee.

Glad to see these two traditional powerhouses playing mid season. It should exciting.

Lee is not stupid ... convenient to schedule this one when Lee is up and Mavahi coming down after 2 straight championships

MHS loses the two time 2A player of the year, their starting PG and the heart and soul of their relentless D. However, the Dogs do return the other 4 guys in their 7 man rotation (2 starters and the 6th and 7th man). I'm also hearing some rumblings about a player that's new to the area?? That should be interesting if true. Add that to some JV kids coming up that want a ring of their own and I'd say the Dogs will be at least a .500 ball club

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on the 'Dogs being at "least" a .500 ball club - the team may have lost a great deal of talent, and it may look as if they will be "outgunned" and "outmanned" but the lure of another state title shot may be the cure-all. And I hope that everyone realizes that the January game was made at least two years ago - maybe to be an "initiation by fire" as some of these 'Dogs need to feel what competition is like. And Leemen, if you do have a title shot this year - and the jury is still out on that just yet - it will be because the "king" is asleep for a year - sort of like Rip Van Winkle. (BTW, nice of you to start "crowing" about your state title chances already - premature as it may be. I am sure you will "pooh-pooh" the Leeman's chances once game time rolls around and "crow" like a rooster if your team wins. There is a lot of basketball to be played before then, and you know how life is - most anything can happen.)

According to Lee's basketball schedule they have a game with Martinsville in Rockbridge County for the Rock the Ribbon Classic.

Lee is going to be a state title contender this season and will be led by standout Darius George.

spacer.gif
leemen, ya'll a bit early to be talking about another title dance just yet, aintcha? thetrey be sure it be pigskin season just now.

Reactions: pawfan
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'm fairly sure that basketball schedules aren't made 2 years out like football.

Also, I was really just kidding when I said at least .500. The Dogs will be just fine.

Since I believe that the VHSL has to approve the schedule, I would have to say that it would have to be made at least that far in advance. I know the district schedule is fairly easy to make as it is - or ought to be - a reversal of last year's - play a district opponent at home/away one year and the next year the game - played at or around the same time in the schedule - is played at the other site. I am sure the Lee/Mavahi game is an addition that someone wanted to make as a "test" of his team's caliber at that point in the season - just to see what needs to worked on for the upcoming district schedule - my original idea about a "baptism of fire" may not be to far off-track either - like blacksmiths, one has to temper a weapon to find its defects and make improvements.

Reactions: pawfan
Wow. Just checking the new schedule and the Bulldogs will face 4A power GW-Danville Friday night, January 20th and then have to hit the road the following day to face the state title contending Leemen.

Reactions: AntGZee
Not a good schedule for the Dogs. To play GW on a Fri, which is a big rivalry game, they will use up alot of energy and emotion and then to turn around the next day and have to travel a couple of hours to play the Leemen who are obviously one of a few teams favored to win the state championship well all I can say is that is very ambitious schedule by the Mavahi AD. Probably have Franklin Co or Halifax scheduled to play on Mon

Reactions: AntGZee
Yes, it is a "gutsy" schedule but it is a good time to test the "mettle" of the 'Dogs to prep them for what promises to be a tough district battle and an even tougher regional should they make it that far.

Short and slow?!?! That's a big negative Ghost Rider!!!!

Martinsville Bulldawgs will show that they're up for the challenge this year.

Martinsville fans are being modest. Martinsville will be just fine. I'm looking forward to watching them play my Danville boys. Both teams will fight it out for the Piedmont. GW will be stacked in 4a but Martinsville and Dan River will still be top dogs in 2a.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT