ADVERTISEMENT

Massaponax @ Louisa

Everyone is talking about the Ponax offensive. The story will be the Ponax defense. If chancellor put up 34 on them, Louis should get close to 50. I’ll go with Louisa.
@86CulpGrad your missing it.. Chancellor put the ball in the air to score, Dinwiddie did the same. Louisa strength is running the ball with misdirection. Pox DL and LB's are very good against the run. Bad match up for Louisa unless they put the ball in the air.

your not going to get them to understand. last year I said louisa controlled easterview in their game and everyone laughed at me when I used the logic that louisa kept eastern 39 points under their average. and only lost on last second 2 tip freak catch. eastern deserved their win but louisa did control that game.

@racindan4u I would not say either team controlled that game, the defenses both looked way better than the offenses. The scoring was set up or on a couple big plays. I honestly would like to have seen that game on a dry field....But, that cant happen now but we can all hope for another battle between the two this year!!

your not going to get them to understand. last year I said louisa controlled easterview in their game and everyone laughed at me when I used the logic that louisa kept eastern 39 points under their average. and only lost on last second 2 tip freak catch. eastern deserved their win but louisa did control that game.
The controlled it the same as EV. That field was a total disaster. Nobody was going to roll up 40 points in that mess.

It's just an opinion. It's High School football. I think Louisa will win this...and I'm definitely not a Louisa fan. I actually hope they lose.

The controlled it the same as EV. That field was a total disaster. Nobody was going to roll up 40 points in that mess.

It's just an opinion. It's High School football. I think Louisa will win this...and I'm definitely not a Louisa fan. I actually hope they lose.

I think Louisa is a state title contender. I also think Massaponax down 2 starters is still 3 scores better than them. Massaponax is a different kind of beast. Look at what they did to Woodgrove last year.

I think Louisa is a state title contender. I also think Massaponax down 2 starters is still 3 scores better than them. Massaponax is a different kind of beast. Look at what they did to Woodgrove last year.
Look at what Broad Run did to Woodgrove. Means nothing. I have seen team's win in regular season and then get blown out in the playoffs by the same team they had beaten. I also believe in certain matchups. They style of play plays a key roll. Just because they rolled Woodgrove does not mean they would have done the same to Louisa.

Look at what Broad Run did to Woodgrove. Means nothing. I have seen team's win in regular season and then get blown out in the playoffs by the same team they had beaten. I also believe in certain matchups. They style of play plays a key roll. Just because they rolled Woodgrove does not mean they would have done the same to Louisa.

A perfect example of this is 2014 in 2a, Glenvar and Giles. In regular season Giles beat Glenvar 33-0. A couple weeks later in playoffs Glenvar beat Giles 35-0, and Glenvar went on to win State championship. And there are many other examples of different games later in year.

But that doesn't mean anything to the big picture. That doesn't mean your prediction is wrong, but analyzing a game from the past gives zero answers. If you want an example from 4a, and one where most thought the opponent had zero chance and they were just a different beast, how about Salem and Lake Taylor, 2 years 2 very different results.

If Louisa wins, or even keeps it close, does that mean they are going to win a championship because they fared well against that "different beast"?

Reactions: SFUWO
A perfect example of this is 2014 in 2a, Glenvar and Giles. In regular season Giles beat Glenvar 33-0. A couple weeks later in playoffs Glenvar beat Giles 35-0, and Glenvar went on to win State championship. And there are many other examples of different games later in year.

But that doesn't mean anything to the big picture. That doesn't mean your prediction is wrong, but analyzing a game from the past gives zero answers. If you want an example from 4a, and one where most thought the opponent had zero chance and they were just a different beast, how about Salem and Lake Taylor, 2 years 2 very different results.

If Louisa wins, or even keeps it close, does that mean they are going to win a championship because they fared well against that "different beast"?

It was an example of how the 4A state champion couldn’t compete with them. Louisa is a great program and a state contender this year and most years. Massaponax is an entirely different challenge. I used an example of how last years state champ couldn’t keep pace to support my argument of what challenges Louisa faces if they not only want to compete but win as some have predicted here. This isn’t matchup driven. Their QB ran for 300yds on Dinwiddie last week. Just my opinion and I hope I’m wrong. Being from this area I love that this game is happening. I plan to be there tomorrow night to see this in person.

Perfect examples. Also In D5 Broad Run would beat Stone Bridge and then lose to them in the playoffs.

It was an example of how the 4A state champion couldn’t compete with them. Louisa is a great program and a state contender this year and most years. Massaponax is an entirely different challenge. I used an example of how last years state champ couldn’t keep pace to support my argument of what challenges Louisa faces if they not only want to compete but win as some have predicted here. This isn’t matchup driven. Their QB ran for 300yds on Dinwiddie last week. Just my opinion and I hope I’m wrong. Being from this area I love that this game is happening. I plan to be there tomorrow night to see this in person.
How about the yr Lake Taylor beat D5 champ LC Byrd on their field? What we are saying is just because they beat Woodgrove does not mean that they would have beaten all of the D4 teams .

How about the yr Lake Taylor beat D5 champ LC Byrd on their field? What we are saying is just because they beat Woodgrove does not mean that they would have beaten all of the D4 teams .
I don’t know. You’re taking it way too seriously. Nobody is dissing Louisa or their program. I gave an example of what kind of a machine Massaponax is year in and year out. That’s all

Just look at Ponax last year. They blew North Stafford away in the regular season and lost to them in the playoffs

Reactions: SFUWO
I don’t know. You’re taking it way too seriously. Nobody is dissing Louisa or their program. I gave an example of what kind of a machine Massaponax is year in and year out. That’s all
Most of us are very familiar with Massaponax.

Just look at Ponax last year. They blew North Stafford away in the regular season and lost to them in the playoffs
Without their D1 QB they lost to a team loaded with D1 kids that they rolled when at full strength. Further proves my point of what they aren’t year in and year out. I hope it’s a great game tomorrow. Happy to see the areas traditional powers scheduling one another. Would’ve loved to have seen some of these Eastern View teams vs a Massaponax and even against the solid teams like Brooke Point or Mountain View.

I am going to say this again. Do not underestimate Ponax on O. I saw film of them against Dinwiddie and they absolutely sliced them up. That triple option is very very difficult to defend if you do not see it every year. Dinwiddie is a very good defense with speed and they had no answer. Seeing ponax for the first time is very eye opening. I don't know what Louisa has etc but Luddens experience and ponax has a championship pedigree. I give the advantage to Ponax. That offense is a nightmare to defend.

But that doesn't mean that Louisa can't compete, and it doesn't even mean that Woodgrove couldn't have beaten them later in the year.

I think what you are getting at is that a good larger class team is better than a lower class, and in some cases that is true, and others it is the opposite.

I don't even have a d4 team, so I am about as neutral as it can get. I don't have any issue with you thinking Ponax will win big. I just don't think you can use one game as a barometer for a conclusion that a team is a different beast. There are plenty of examples throughout all classifications of a bigger school seemingly being too much for a smaller school and that myth is busted. And not talking about decent teams, talking about upper echelon teams.

I know nobody is underestimating them. Over 20 years you will not find a more consistent program year in and year out. That said their offense is something that I don't think you can really understand until you are on the field LIVE! They run it better then many colleges and they got speed to kill you too! Imagine Navy/Army running it with legit power 5 talent. That QB is legit. Big and fast. Not sure if Louisa has played them recently (Not that I can recall) but that offense is a nightmare to defend.

But that doesn't mean that Louisa can't compete, and it doesn't even mean that Woodgrove couldn't have beaten them later in the year.

I think what you are getting at is that a good larger class team is better than a lower class, and in some cases that is true, and others it is the opposite.

I don't even have a d4 team, so I am about as neutral as it can get. I don't have any issue with you thinking Ponax will win big. I just don't think you can use one game as a barometer for a conclusion that a team is a different beast. There are plenty of examples throughout all classifications of a bigger school seemingly being too much for a smaller school and that myth is busted. And not talking about decent teams, talking about upper echelon teams.
It’s not just that one singular game that makes me believe that. That was simply an example of what they did to the state champion in one half of football. They are a different beast and are a perennial power. I expect Louisa to compete as they are a well coached great program.

It’s not just that one singular game that makes me believe that. That was simply an example of what they did to the state champion in one half of football. They are a different beast and are a perennial power. I expect Louisa to compete as they are a well coached great program.

Well were they a different beast when the year before they lost to Woodgrove 42-14? Or the year before when they lost to Chancellor? You see where I am going with this? I can just as easily take out a game where a 4a team (who didn't win a championship) beat them.

And the reason those other games like Giles Glenvar were brought up is because something different can happen another night. Especially when that game occurs early in the season. So yes, they beat the 4a champion by 21, that doesn't mean they would have later, and it really has nothing to do with Louisa

Reactions: Nuke91 and SFUWO
Great thread! My thoughts/essay:

This should be an epic battle, and many of us have waited many years for this matchup. They haven't played each other since Ponax first opened. Louisa is now totally on the level to not only compete with the Panthers, but win this game and open some eyes doing it. Something that hasn't been mentioned is that Louisa's best athlete, ODU-commit senior Noah Robinson, hasn't played this season yet, due to an off-season injury. He should return for the district games. I'm sorry to see that Ponax won't be at full strength, but neither team will be. It's still going to be epic! Both teams are loaded.

I will just say it straight up, Ponax QB Luke Morley is one fast white boy! His height is listed all over the place on here, but he looks a good 6' 3" or 6' 4" to me. Regardless, he's big and fast! Louisa must sell out, hit him every play, and contain him at all costs, because he can kill you and take it to the house on literally any play. His 70 yard and 80 yard TD runs against Dinwiddie were not flukes, he can do that to any defense.

Massaponax's O line is very aggressive at the point of attack, as always. They just get after you. And I'll repeat what's been said, they run the triple option at the college level. Louisa has faced triple the last few years, against Charlottesville, whom's head coach is a former defensive coordinator from Ponax, and against Chancellor last year, but those games were just practice runs for what they'll face tonight. Ponax's triple is twice as strong, twice as fast, twice as potent.

The Panther defense might have given up points and yardage, but they were against two good teams. Ponax has a nice LB who isn't afraid to smack you, and Louisa must keep hats on him to be successful. I'm not sure if he plays both ways and is one of the injured players, but he is much needed on defense. The D line is aggressive and underrated. As has been stated, the "weakness" is their pass defense, but it's serviceable. This leads me to...

Louisa freshman QB Landon Wilson, at 6' 1" 190 lbs, will have to show his mettle early and often. Against Courtland and Chancellor, he played completely perfect games and looked far from a freshman, but he has benefited from the potent Lion running game and "safe" play calls for him. If Ponax stops the run, how will he do? This could be the game where he either shines and becomes a household name, or "plays like a freshman", which there is nothing wrong with! He's the younger brother of Luke Wilson, who transferred from Louisa to FUMA and broke passing records there.

Everyone knows about the Lion running game by now, but not everyone is familiar with junior RB Robbie Morgan. That kid is the TRUTH! He just refuses to go down. Remember his name! He could be the X factor today and in the playoffs. Over two games, he's had 11 carries for 137 yards and 4 TDs, while viciously stiff arming and dragging players. This thread has talked about Ponax's triple option, and deservingly so, but has failed to point out that Ponax also has to worry about an extremely talented Lion offense. This will be the best overall backfield Ponax has played against in many years. Jarett Hunter, Robbie Morgan, Kalup Shelton, Alex Washington, Landon Wilson, Adrain 'Night Train' Williams, all can either grind you up for 5 yards a pop or break one to the house. Shelton is like a bigger Zion Sturdivant, an extremely fast bowling ball who won't go down on the first hit.

The most important determinants of this game will be defense, special teams, and in-game coaching. The Lion defense is very talented at every level, even without Robinson at safety. The D line is very aggressive and quick, with senior tackle Night Train Williams, senior end Derrick Barbour, and freshman end Qwenton Spellman, who is a manchild, leading the way. They will each pose serious problems for the triple option, but need to stay disciplined. Departed 5 star LB Brandon Smith (who has already laid some wood for Penn State and will see more time against Pitt this weekend!) is of course greatly missed and irreplaceable, but so far, seniors Austin Sims, Aaron Aponte, and company have more than stepped up. Aponte literally picked up and suplexed a poor Chancellor runner. This Lion defense as a whole has been downright nasty, so I give them the edge.

The Lions have sophomore kicker, Miguel Castells, a foreign exchange student from Spain, who hit a 47 yard FG against Courtland and can kick it in the endzone. Kick returners Jarett and Buck Hunter, and Robbie Morgan can each break one to the house, so I give the special teams edge to the Lions.

I went to the 2016 Ponax/Stone Bridge playoff game (and the Stone Bridge/Highland Springs title game the following week), and thought Ponax was the better overall team than SB, and controlled the game, but suffered from questionable coaching decisions in the final minutes. I feel this has been their Achilles heel in the biggest games, especially against SB. Ponax has had a bunch of title worthy teams over the years, but in-game decisions in clutch moments has hurt them. However, I still give the in-game coaching advantage to Ponax, because they're more experienced, and against tougher schedules. Will it matter tonight? Stay tuned, because it could be the deciding factor of the game, but hopefully the kids decide!

TL; DR: if you're within a 50 mile radius, don't miss this treat of a game! 540/Fredericksburg area football is BACK, and will be on full display again in The Jungle! After last year's Louisa/EV game and now Louisa/Ponax, with the Battlefield District back on the rise, it's a great time to be a high school football fan in the Fredericksburg area.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackknight_pride
Great thread! My thoughts/essay:

This should be an epic battle, and many of us have waited many years for this matchup. They haven't played each other since Ponax first opened. Louisa is now totally on the level to not only compete with the Panthers, but win this game and open some eyes doing it. Something that hasn't been mentioned is that Louisa's best athlete, ODU-commit senior Noah Robinson, hasn't played this season yet, due to an off-season injury. He should return for the district games. I'm sorry to see that Ponax won't be at full strength, but neither team will be. It's still going to be epic! Both teams are loaded.

I will just say it straight up, Ponax QB Luke Morley is one fast white boy! His height is listed all over the place on here, but he looks a good 6' 3" or 6' 4" to me. Regardless, he's big and fast! Louisa must sell out, hit him every play, and contain him at all costs, because he can kill you and take it to the house on literally any play. His 70 yard and 80 yard TD runs against Dinwiddie were not flukes, he can do that to any defense.

Massaponax's O line is very aggressive at the point of attack, as always. They just get after you. And I'll repeat what's been said, they run the triple option at the college level. Louisa has faced triple the last few years, against Charlottesville, whom's head coach is a former defensive coordinator from Ponax, and against Chancellor last year, but those games were just practice runs for what they'll face tomorrow. Ponax's triple is twice as strong, twice as fast, twice as potent.

The Panther defense might have given up points and yardage, but they were against two good teams. Ponax has a nice LB who isn't afraid to smack you, and Louisa must keep hats on him to be successful. I'm not sure if he plays both ways and is one of the injured players, but he is much needed on defense. The D line is aggressive and underrated. As has been stated, the "weakness" is their pass defense, but it's serviceable. This leads me to...

Louisa freshman QB Landon Wilson, at 6' 1" 190 lbs, will have to show his mettle early and often. Against Courtland and Chancellor, he played completely perfect games and looked far from a freshman, but he has benefited from the potent Lion running game and "safe" play calls for him. If Ponax stops the run, how will he do? This could be the game where he either shines and becomes a household name, or "plays like a freshman", which there is nothing wrong with! He's the younger brother of Luke Wilson, who transferred from Louisa to FUMA and broke passing records there.

Everyone knows about the Lion running game by now, but not everyone is familiar with junior RB Robbie Morgan. That kid is the TRUTH! He just refuses to go down. Remember his name! He could be the X factor today and in the playoffs. Over two games, he's had 11 carries for 137 yards and 4 TDs, while viciously stiff arming and dragging players. This thread has talked about Ponax's triple option, and deservingly so, but has failed to point out that Ponax also has to worry about an extremely talented Lion offense. This will be the best overall backfield Ponax has played against in many years. Jarett Hunter, Robbie Morgan, Kalup Shelton, Alex Washington, Landon Wilson, Adrain 'Night Train' Williams, all can either grind you up for 5 yards a pop or break one to the house. Shelton is like a bigger Zion Sturdivant, an extremely fast bowling ball who won't go down on the first hit.

The most important determinants of this game will be defense, special teams, and in-game coaching. The Lion defense is very talented at every level, even without Robinson at safety. The D line is very aggressive and quick, with senior tackle Night Train Williams, senior end Derrick Barbour, and freshman end Qwenton Spellman, who is a manchild, leading the way. They will each pose serious problems for the triple option, but need to stay disciplined. Departed 5 star LB Brandon Smith (who has already laid some wood for Penn State and will see more time against Pitt this weekend!) is of course greatly missed and irreplaceable, but so far, seniors Austin Sims, Aaron Aponte, and company have more than stepped up. Aponte literally picked up and suplexed a poor Chancellor runner. This Lion defense as a whole has been downright nasty, so I give them the edge.

The Lions have sophomore kicker, Miguel Castells, a foreign exchange student from Spain, who hit a 47 yard FG against Courtland and can kick it in the endzone. Kick returners Jarett and Buck Hunter, and Robbie Morgan can each break one to the house, so I give the special teams edge to the Lions.

I went to the 2016 Ponax/Stone Bridge playoff game (and the Stone Bridge/Highland Springs title game the following week), and thought Ponax was the better overall team than SB, and controlled the game, but suffered from questionable coaching decisions in the final minutes. I feel this has been their Achilles heel in the biggest games, especially against SB. Ponax has had a bunch of title worthy teams over the years, but in-game decisions in clutch moments has hurt them. However, I still give the in-game coaching advantage to Ponax, because they're more experienced, and against tougher schedules. Will it matter tonight? Stay tuned, because it could be the deciding factor of the game, but hopefully the kids decide!

If you're within a 50 mile radius, don't miss this treat of a game! 540/Fredericksburg area football is BACK, and will be on full display again in The Jungle! After last year's Louisa/EV game and now Louisa/Ponax, with the Battlefield District back on the rise, it's a great time to be a high school football fan in the Fredericksburg area.

The LB you’re talking about is Elijah Christopher better known as Uno. He has been playing fullback while Joshua Hale has been injured. What’s crazy is that Massaponax has been this good on offense without Hale who is probably their best returning offensive player. They’ll be without Romero tonight as well which is a huge blow. Romero would’ve been the fastest kid on the field. Should be a great game.

tenor.gif

Anyway, Ponax's two backups would start on any team, they were fast as hell and ran very hard!

Amazing job by the Lions of containing QB Luke Morley just enough to make the other Panthers beat them!

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
tenor.gif

Anyway, Ponax's two backups would start on any team, they were fast as hell and ran very hard!

Amazing job by the Lions of containing QB Luke Morley just enough to make the other Panthers beat them!
I didn’t end up making it last night. From reading and talking to people it sounds like a genius plan from Louisa DC. Congrats to the Lions on a big win.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
So did anyone in this thread actually go to the game? Or was it just the usual uninformed talk? It's mighty quiet now, with all the hype I thought this thread would still be jumpin'.

Well literally everything I said in the long post turned out true. Right down to the nastiness by Robbie Morgan, the defense, questionable coaching calls (by both teams), and special teams! Luke Morley was held to 25 yards rushing but 3 short TDs. Louisa had an awesome goal line stand before blocking the kick! This game had everything you could possibly want in a high school football game, possibly the game of the year!

Last edited:
Reactions: LouisaLion02
Great Play calling by Louisa HC most of the time. Just punt the ball sometimes. Louisa DC Outstanding Game plan, This was the GAME of the year so far. A must see game for any High School Football Coach. Just think both teams are not healthy right now!! Crowd lets say HUGE! Massaponax stands was full of their fans. "The Jungle"

That 3 player was all over the field. Great game by both teams. Yes coach punt the ball some times.

Last edited:
Great Play calling by Louisa HC most of the time. Just punt the ball sometimes. Louisa DC Outstanding Game plan, This was the GAME of the year so far. A must see game for any High School Football Coach. Just think both teams are not healthy right now!! Crowd lets say HUGE! Massaponax stands was full of their fans. "The Jungle"
Considering the Ponax band took up 3/4 of those tiny bleachers

Reactions: WP02alum
What would put a knockout exclamation point on this season is if both Louisa and Ponax win their first state title. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT