ADVERTISEMENT

Matchups in the first round! Interesting!

springer76

VaPreps All District
Nov 21, 2008
Highland Springs, VA
HS vs MBK > HS finally wins their first playoff game in a long time!

Manchester vs Freeman > Manchester easily wins this one!

Herm vs Henrico > This is where it gets real interesting! Henrico could surprise Herm. Where Herm has played a cotton soft schedule, Henrico is more battle tested. Herm should've lost to MBK and if not for the quick start, might not've gotten past Colonial Forge > Henrico in a close one!!

Bird vs Atlee> Interesting matchup here too. Atlee's ofense is potent but the defense is suspect.. If this winds up being a shoot out. I think Atlee could pull an upset! Here again battle tested! Atlee wins this one in a shoot out!

What's your thoughts?
This post was edited on 11/9 2:22 PM by springer76

This post was edited on 11/9 3:48 PM by springer76

Highland Springs at Meadowbrook... I do believe you are right, Springers should get their first playoff win since 2006.

Manchester beating Freeman is a good assessment... I do believe the Lancers are on a mission this year.

Hermitage and Henrico, while I agree Henrico is battle tested, Hermitage is a proven winner and their defense is very strong. I expect this one to be a defensive battle to be honest.

Then there is Atlee and Bird... Atlee has some offensive weapons but like you say, defense is suspect. I do believe too that Bird will come out swinging so to speak after losing at the last minute to Manchester....

If I were to rate the games to be at...
Atlee v. Bird
Hermitage v. Henrico
Highland Springs v. Meadowbrook
Manchester v. Freeman

Looks like you are being a Capital District homer!!!
It will be your Springers vs. Bird and Manchester vs. Hermitage and I think it will be a Bird vs. Manchester rematch! Now that's some Dominion District love for you.

In all honestly HS can't be too excited about having LC Bird sitting there as their 4 seed. 2x defending state champs and you might have to play them in round 2. Not good.

They would be very excited to play Bird! 2x state champs, yes...That is history now. This is 2014, Bird has 2 regular season losses and didn't even win the Dominion District for the first time in (how many years?). Bird also came within a prayer of loosing to Thomas Dale. HSHS has been dominant through a very tough schedule this year! 8 of our 10 opponents are in the playoffs! In my opinion, this is not the same Bird team (not even close) that won either one of those state titles! I'll stick with the strengh of the Capital District. Rematch HSHS vs. ATLEE; HENRICO vs. MANCHESTER
HSHS vs MANCHESTER in the conference final.

This post was edited on 11/10 6:49 AM by springer76
This post was edited on 11/10 6:54 AM by springer76

I have seen all 8 teams in the playoffs in person. HSHS has played well, but Hermitage is the best overall team, Manchester next, then Bird and HSHS. What the top 3 have over HSHS are their D lines.IMHO the springers will not be able to stop the run game of any of these 3 teams, and will have trouble stopping MBK. But MBK doesn't defend the pass very well, so that should be a very good matchup. The other games will be close for a while then the strength of the top 3 will take over. 2nd round games should be very good, with Bird and Herm meeting in the final, Again. Herm regional champs

Besides HS who in the Capital is really any good?

Atlee- No defense
Henrico- Nice story not ready
Hanover- Solid but one dimensional
Armstrong - Nice story might make noise in 3a

How many of those teams are expected to make any noise in the playoffs? Armstrong has the best chance playing in 3a, but they have been losing their steam since the hot start.

Bird lost to two 10-0 teams so it's not like they were beat by bums and Dale finished 8-2. I still like Bird because of the physicality they play with and the edge over a HS team that is build around speed. Can HS line down and punch Bird back in the mouth?

Other than the 2 teams lost to, the rest of their schedule was soft! They should've lost to Dale.I haven't seen Bird play or Manchester, but I do believe that HS CAN beat any of them. Can HS be beaten? My own answer is yes, if they don't beat themselves!

Honestly every year HS has these lofty expectations and then they fold...Maybe this years team is different, but I'm not betting against Bird year 1 of the state title they won it all as a 4 seed. So basically the Dominion District is soft in your eyes? Capital isn't the SEC either.

I don't disagree that Bird is not the team it was the past two years, however, their losses are to two 10-0 teams; both games were decided to the very end. Bird lost to Manchester on a last second long bomb and lost to Lake Taylor when they were stopped six inches short at the Lake Taylor 10 yard line when driving for a tying score with only a minute or so to go. Plus, don't forget Bird won three straight regional titles after 8-2 regular seasons. I think Dale is a real threat in their half of the region also, so while I wouldn't make Bird a favorite, they are not going to be easy for anyone to beat. The Skyhawks also blew out the other 7 teams they played by running clock margins.

I also don't trust Meadowbrook to be an easy out in the playoffs, no matter what their regular season record. They'll come to play.

Atlee has got to stop Bird to win, because Bird will stop them on at least half of their possessions.

I just don't see Hermitage losing in first round.

Manchester also looks like they have a good matchup.

I predict the top 4 seeds advancing, but that second round will be a lot of fun.

"So basically the Dominion District is soft in your eyes? Capital isn't the SEC either."
So, with that said, DEVILSLB99
, which of the Central Region Districts (former districts) would you consider the toughest?

I'm just glad I've got somebody talkin' on this dead a** board!!

Originally posted by headevil2:

I have seen all 8 teams in the playoffs in person. HSHS has played well, but Hermitage is the best overall team, Manchester next, then Bird and HSHS. What the top 3 have over HSHS are their D lines.IMHO the springers will not be able to stop the run game of any of these 3 teams, and will have trouble stopping MBK. But MBK doesn't defend the pass very well, so that should be a very good matchup. The other games will be close for a while then the strength of the top 3 will take over. 2nd round games should be very good, with Bird and Herm meeting in the final, Again. Herm regional champs
What I can tell you is... I saw Herm play Varina and I saw some of the MBK/Herm game too. I wasn't impressed with them on either one of those nights. The night they played CF, they blew a big lead and that Dline you're talking about let them back in the game. Had the game been just a little longer, Herm would've lost that one! .Anything can happen on any given night! WE will soon see!

There is no way a Bird team loses to Atlee they will run wild. I believe they just beat a decent Cosby team 63-0 or something. Bird will run wild on Atlee and shut them down on defense. Atlee's offense may be good, but they haven't seen Bird's defense which is always one of the best in the region. Yes Bird lost 2 games and you say they barely beat Thomas Dale on a hail mary, but don't mentions Manchester beating Bird on a hail mary (granted the game would have gone into OT if it was dropped).

I see all 4 top seeds advancing with the closest game being MBK vs. HSHS. I think if there was going to be an upset that would actually be the upset. I see it being Bird vs. Hermitage and I'm a Manchester team, but I know early in the season that Manchester Herm scrimmage was pretty rough for Manchester, but they have improved a lot since then and Herm hasn't played much of anyone. Would love to see Bird vs. Manchester in the 3rd round though.

Those games you speak of with Hermitage were early in the season, the Panthers got better as the season went on. Any of the top five in my book could end up winning this thing.

There ya' go Dan, that's how I think too! That's why I say on any given night, naything can happpen. Any of them could win it! I'm just rooting for MY team!
GO SPRINGERS!

If you want to go back to scrimmages. HS beat Dale 34-7. The same Dale team that almost beat Bird the very next week.as I keep saying, anything can happen on any given night. Contemplating and guessing won't win a thing!

Football is all about matchups. You can't compare games like that. I went back to the scrimmage, but I also said that both teams have improve much since then. Plus you can't put much stock in scrimmages, it's just the only thing you can kind of look at to compare Manchester and Herm when they played earlier in a scrimmage with I'm sure very little depth in playcalling.

I've seen all of these team play live this year for the exception of Freeman and Atlee (saw them twice on film) and trust me when I tell you it's as wide open as it's ever been. This thing is all about matchups and I won't be surprised if there is a surprise or two. Outside of being a Bird supporter I'am curious about this Mbk/Highland Springs game because as explosive as The Springers are MBK has that ball control ,run right at you offense that could possibly make that game very interesting. Henrico did that to HS and kept it very close until the 4th qtr. We are in for some great games these next few weeks.

This post was edited on 11/11 4:09 PM by prime221

Yes! That is what happened in game 3 of this season, HS/MBK.MBK did for the most part control the line of scrimmage. HS did what we've been doing all season, stopping them short each time. That game was HS 21-12. Folks think HS doesn't play good D. But they have a very good defense.HS has too many weapons for mbk to stop! That's my view.

You are mistaken

it was 7-7 starters. We pounded your backside into the ground with a 20 play 80 yd 15:00 drive. You guys answered with a quick strike TD pass. Our 2's & 3"s came in and then you scored more. We scrimmaged Hanover/Clover Hill next followed by a game at Cosby before LCB. While your Springers are good, are they ready for the playoff lights?

Re: You are mistaken

Right, I counted the whole scrimmage. those backups caused, recovered and returned for td's, 3 fumbles and I believe there was 1 more td other than the 3 fumble returns therfore acounting for the 34-7 score. Really doesn't matter... a scrimmage is a scrimmage. It didn't count!

your comments were misleading

you're right, it didn't count, but don't make it sound like you blasted us
wink.r191677.gif

I don't have a dog in the fight but I agree with Devils. HS seems to do well consistently during the regular season but hasn't put together a playoff run. Good luck to them this year!

If anybody knows that, I know that!I've been to just about every Springer game since 1971!Ijust have a feeling(from what I see in them this year) that this could be a break through year. This has been a special team and it just looks like things are coming together better than many years prior. Good Luck to the Springers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT