ADVERTISEMENT

Maury vs Indian River

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
Class 5, Region A Final

Maury (11-1) vs Indian River (12-0).

Maury's only loss was vs 4A Lake Taylor (12-0), early in the season. Indian River handily beat Oscar Smith after knocking out several of the Tiger's top players in the 1st half. The Braves are the SouthEastern District Champs for the first time in many years.

Maury is the Co-Eastern District Champ and very much like I. River in that many area top players have elected to transfer into their program to give them sudden improvements vs previous years.

This game is hard to call but I'd give Indian River the edge due to their aggressive OL/DL play. The winner will likely face Highland Springs for the 5A/B Regional SemiState Title!

Nice write up... LT is 11-1 with a loss to Norcom if I am not mistaken. Got the point though.

I think IR wins big 3+ TD’s. Too much firepower.

Reactions: ForksUp
I only knew of two transfers into IR this year and at least one of them was one of several that left Bishop Sullivan. I'm not sure if IR is their home school or not, but I'm glad to see the schools in the 757 balancing out in power, as opposed to one or two schools getting all of the talent.

I haven't seen IR live this year, but I have been saying I think IR may give HSHS all they can handle. I grew up playing against Coach Ferebee and I'm glad to see that he has developed a program at IR.

Reactions: ForksUp
I only knew of two transfers into IR this year and at least one of them was one of several that left Bishop Sullivan. I'm not sure if IR is their home school or not, but I'm glad to see the schools in the 757 balancing out in power, as opposed to one or two schools getting all of the talent.

I haven't seen IR live this year, but I have been saying I think IR may give HSHS all they can handle.
...and vise versa! I think that my Springers haven't yet seen a team as talented as IR and as banged up as OS was when they played, IR has not seen a team like HSHS either!

Seen both play this year and I'll say the ol/dl=even. The QB talent=even but the skilled positions for HSHS are more explosive and HSHS defensive secondary has more playmakers/ball Hawks. 34-26 Springer's but i don' think they bring home a 4th....

Seen both play this year and I'll say the ol/dl=even. The QB talent=even but the skilled positions for HSHS are more explosive and HSHS defensive secondary has more playmakers/ball Hawks. 34-26 Springer's but i don' think they bring home a 4th....
Who’s going to keep them from their 4th! Quite honestly,NOONE up north has speed to stay with IR or Highland Springs,and that INCLUDES Westfield! I’ve been around for a while now,and THIS is the best Highland Springs team I have EVER seen. They really do not have a weakness! Any team that will beat them with have to be GREAT(not good) at EVERY aspect of the game! Highland Springs has 5 lockdown DBs. Any team better have 5 too,to defend ALL the WRs,and better be able to defend D1 RBs,running behind an o-line that just won #3 last year. The QB is the punter,and the Sophomore place kicker has only missed 4xpts all year(4fgs over 30yds too). SPEED at every position at all levels on both sides of the ball and on SpTms.

Please tell me...how does anyone beat this team?!

Who’s going to keep them from their 4th! Quite honestly,NOONE up north has speed to stay with IR or Highland Springs,and that INCLUDES Westfield! I’ve been around for a while now,and THIS is the best Highland Springs team I have EVER seen. They really do not have a weakness! Any team that will beat them with have to be GREAT(not good) at EVERY aspect of the game! Highland Springs has 5 lockdown DBs. Any team better have 5 too,to defend ALL the WRs,and better be able to defend D1 RBs,running behind an o-line that just won #3 last year. The QB is the punter,and the Sophomore place kicker has only missed 4xpts all year(4fgs over 30yds too). SPEED at every position at all levels on both sides of the ball and on SpTms.

I've seen Broad Run, SB, Westfield, Colonial Forge, Manchester, HSHS and Phoebus all play for years as well. Is this the best team HSHS has had? Most definitely, but I think just one game from either Broad Run or Stone Bridge will sneak them, it takes just once. I want to see HSHS play with money on the line(pressure) and see what they got. They haven't had to go to 5th gear this year and I'm afraid they won't be ready for it. Never said they didn't have studs on the field as I stated, there skilled position players are bar none, clearly.

Last edited:

Side note, what prolific(high caliber) team has HSHS beat this year? I'm talking 60-70 pt scoring teams? Without being tested I'm not going to give it to HSHS without doubt. Hell, the last 2 state championships they won on a prayer in one and got beat 27-7 in the second half of the last. That's why I enjoy matchups and not 5 star ratings.

Reactions: falcettik
I've seen Broad Run, SB, Westfield, Colonial Forge, Manchester, HSHS and Phoebus all play for years as well. Is this the best team HSHS has had? Most definitely, but I think just one game from either Broad Run or Stone Bridge will sneak them, it takes just once. I want to see HSHS play with money on the line(pressure) and see what they got. They haven't had to go to 5th gear this year and I'm afraid they won't be ready for it. Never said they didn't have studs on the field as I stated, there skilled position players are bar none, clearly.
You do realize that HSHS returned 18 starters from last year’s State Championship team,and added 3 D1 transfers,and all-region kicker right?! They’ve played some great teams and players over the last 2 years(27 straight wins),and it seems they’ve had no problem finding that gear when needed. 3 in a row says the coaches know how to find that gear,IF NEEDED.

Somebody is gonna have to figure out how to score more than twice on a STARTING DEFENSE that has only given up 2 TDs ALL YEAR!

You do realize that HSHS returned 18 starters from last year’s State Championship team,and added 3 D1 transfers,and all-region kicker right?! They’ve played some great teams and players over the last 2 years(27 straight wins),and it seems they’ve had no problem finding that gear when needed. 3 in a row says the coaches know how to find that gear,IF NEEDED.

Somebody is gonna have to figure out how to score more than twice on a STARTING DEFENSE that has only given up 2 TDs ALL YEAR!
HS will beat Henrico next week (and they are no slouch). Their only loss was to us and they have racked up a bunch of points. if we meet Indian River, I think that will be a good game. It might be close, but I don't think IR has enough horses to keep up with the Springers for 4 qtrs! HS is so deep, they keep fresh legs on the field the whole time... They haven't played the starters for 4 qtrs all season, but even when they do, the rotation is still there! When we do have to "play" for 4 qts, the rotation will keep us fresh!
Teams from up North never match up well with HS because of the speed. This year,they are going to find the speed even more deadly! The winner of the 5A/5B simifinal game will be the State Champ!

Side note, what prolific(high caliber) team has HSHS beat this year? I'm talking 60-70 pt scoring teams? Without being tested I'm not going to give it to HSHS without doubt. Hell, the last 2 state championships they won on a prayer in one and got beat 27-7 in the second half of the last. That's why I enjoy matchups and not 5 star ratings.
If it was a hail-marry to beat Stonebridge,I’d agree with you. It was a 23yd DART in the middle of the back of the end zone with more than a minute left,and the defense sealed the deal.

Against Tusky,HSHS was up 33-0 in the second half! We let our subs play,and put it in cruise control. Lmao...could’ve dropped 60 on them EASILY. The only player lost was Billy Kemp,and replaced him with 6’3(WVU Commit) Ali Jennings.

It’s not about 5-star talent...it’s about a well oiled system that might be the best the state has ever seen.

If it was a hail-marry to beat Stonebridge,I’d agree with you. It was a 23yd DART in the middle of the back of the end zone with more than a minute left,and the defense sealed the deal.

Against Tusky,HSHS was up 33-0 in the second half! We let our subs play,and put it in cruise control. Lmao...could’ve dropped 60 on them EASILY. The only player lost was Billy Kemp,and replaced him with 6’3(WVU Commit) Ali Jennings.

It’s not about 5-star talent...it’s about a well oiled system that might be the best the state has ever seen.
Tomato, tomatoe u say dart I saw luck(but official) and Tusky jumped on HSHS starters from the 2nd half gun. Is HSHS the BEST in state of VA THIS year, YES and the last 3 for that matter. Better than 96 or 97 Hampton Crabbers or 2001-02 Xavier Adibi led Phoebus teams, NO without a doubt.

Tomato, tomatoe u say dart I saw luck(but official) and Tusky jumped on HSHS starters from the 2nd half gun. Is HSHS the BEST in state of VA THIS year, YES and the last 3 for that matter. Better than 96 or 97 Hampton Crabbers or 2001-02 Xavier Adibi led Phoebus teams, NO without a doubt.
I’m talking about 4 or more IN A ROW,not 2! They will tie the 4 in a row record this year,and break it next year( loaded again next year).

As far as Tusky...kinda hard to get up when you’re up 5 scores. Js

No individual team will ever match that Curry led team that finished #1 in the USA Today poll.

I’m talking about 4 or more IN A ROW,not 2! They will tie the 4 in a row record this year,and break it next year( loaded again next year).

As far as Tusky...kinda hard to get up when you’re up 5 scores. Js

No individual team will ever match that Curry led team that finished #1 in the USA Today poll.
None of that past stuff matters now! Fact is. We were a contender in 2014, State Champs 2015, 16 and 17. Ranked #1, 12-0 NOW and will be a contender in 2019, 2020 and after that too. The future of Springer football is as bright as the Sun! Our schedule was weak this, (Herm fell flat and Riverbend & MBK sucked) that's not our fault.
Our schedule will be changed next year, we want and welcome tough challengers!

In my opinion the only class 5 team to have a prayer at beating HSHS is Indian River. I will take HSHS similar to what @springer76 predicted in terms of score.

However, I don't know whether I think this is the best Springer team ever or not. I lean toward no. I really liked the team with Dortch.

Is HSHS the best team in VA regardless of classification? If you think so... I am not mad at you. Certainly a valid argument can be made there.

I am of the belief that the Manchester Lancers are the best team in the state regardless of classification. With that being said, they may not win the state championship. Class 6 has 4-5 exceptional teams. If anyone outside of Springs or Indian River won the state title I would be floored.

If I had to rank my top 5 it would be:
Manchester
HSHS
Westfield
Colonial Forge
Indian River

Indian River dominated Oscar Smith.

To say they don't have the horses too go 4 quarters with anyone is crazy.

Disciple could be an issue but those guys are very talented and can play with anyone.
My point in my statement was that HS's depth is crazy! Their rotation keeps them fresh. It will take a talent and depth to keep up with what they throw at you. If IR is as deep, then they might have a chance! Are they as deep as HS? I don't know that answer! Entertain me....Henrico is not, this is why we will wear them out, like we did the last time!
We will be resting our starting line up in the 2nd half next week, like last night. Glen Allen (finished 9-3) is a good team. They have a good qb and a huge RB that Alabama is looking at. HS was up 44-0 in the 2nd qtr and playing the 2nd string....Other than the 1st possession of the 2nd half. Our starters watched the 2nd team and the JV kids that were brought up. Still won 51-6. I think our jv team could have beaten Glen Allen!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Westfield brings it home again or is the best in the state, but I've learned not to bet against them. They may not have the best individual talent in any given year, but they bring a game plan as good as anyone. They've taken down some loaded OS teams and have never lost to OS. Class 6 is a toss up this year, with Westfield probably having the easiest ride to the finals.

My point in my statement was that HS's depth is crazy! Their rotation keeps them fresh. It will take a talent and depth to keep up with what they throw at you. If IR is as deep, then they might have a chance! Are they as deep as HS? I don't know that answer! Entertain me....

The offensive and defensive lines, I believe, do not play both ways. They have a few skill guys that may play both ways but they have all year. Barring injury, they've handled it well to this point.

My point is Oscar Smith has a good shot at being in a 4th consecutive state title game. They're one of the best teams in the state regardless of classification and IR took them to the woodshed.

If your looking for a debate on who's 3rd string 3 tech is better I'm not gonna be able to answer that.

In my opinion the only class 5 team to have a prayer at beating HSHS is Indian River. I will take HSHS similar to what @springer76 predicted in terms of score.

However, I don't know whether I think this is the best Springer team ever or not. I lean toward no. I really liked the team with Dortch.

Is HSHS the best team in VA regardless of classification? If you think so... I am not mad at you. Certainly a valid argument can be made there.

I am of the belief that the Manchester Lancers are the best team in the state regardless of classification. With that being said, they may not win the state championship. Class 6 has 4-5 exceptional teams. If anyone outside of Springs or Indian River won the state title I would be floored.

Manchester
HSHS
Westfield
Colonial Forge
Indian River
I'm not 100% sure if this is the the very best HS team ever. I can say it is up there in the rankings!! I will say, the DEFENSE this year is the best I've seen in many years. As of right now, HS has outscored the opponents 595-45 (12-0)! In comparison, 2015 they were 612-186 (14-1): 2016: 620-208 (14-1) 2017; 500-179 (14-1). On paper, this alone could suggest that this team might be better than the previous 3.... Just speculation though... The Defense is definitely tougher!

I haven't seen IR live this year, but I have been saying I think IR may give HSHS all they can handle. I grew up playing against Coach Ferebee and I'm glad to see that he has developed a program at IR.

Not sure which transfer IR got from Bishop Sullivan that you are referencing ... their main transfers are QB Dominique Brooks (began at Western Branch, then went to Oscar Smith, and is now the leading passer in the '757' for the Braves) and RB/WR LaMareon James (a 2020 prospect who came from Norfolk Christian with an Auburn offer here recently).

Up front for Indian River, DT Ben Smiley - a four-star and UVA commit - is no joke. He's a stud, as is LB Ah'Shawn Moore (jersey #9), the Southeastern District Defensive Player of the Year who arguably was the best player on the field in their 28-16 win at Oscar Smith earlier this season. Moore is a menace on defense and has been mixed in at times on offense, lining up some in the backfield as well as wide receiver.

An Indian River - Highland Springs State Semis matchup would be fascinating, especially to see how the Braves and their passing attack does against an absolutely superb Highland Springs defense. Not only are the Springers strong up front and good against the run with Region 5B Defensive Player of the Year Christian White leading the way at linebacker, but they have a star-studded secondary with to me three All-State candidates in Malcolm Greene (several Power 5 offers), David Laney (multiple P5 offers) and Tremayne Talbert, who's a huge weapon on special teams as well.

That game, should we get it on Sat. Dec. 1 in Chesapeake, could be decided on special teams play. With Highland Springs scoring on four kick/punt returns in their regional semis win over Glen Allen, my guess is they are pretty confident about that unit rising to the occasion.

Of course, Indian River has to take care of business first against Maury - a team that is putting up 40.2 points per game on the year with their lone blemish coming to Lake Taylor (49-35) - and Highland Springs will have to beat Henrico for a second time this year. As a side note -- it wouldn't be nearly as juicy to most as HSHS/IR, but in an ordinary year, a matchup between Maury and Henrico would be a good one as both fill at least five scholarship players apiece, lots of offensive talent.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Not sure which transfer IR got from Bishop Sullivan that you are referencing ... their main transfers are QB Dominique Brooks (began at Western Branch, then went to Oscar Smith, and is now the leading passer in the '757' for the Braves) and RB/WR LaMareon James (a 2020 prospect who came from Norfolk Christian with an Auburn offer here recently).

Up front for Indian River, DT Ben Smiley - a four-star and UVA commit - is no joke. He's a stud, as is LB Ah'Shawn Moore (jersey #9), the Southeastern District Defensive Player of the Year who arguably was the best player on the field in their 28-16 win at Oscar Smith earlier this season. Moore is a menace on defense and has been mixed in at times on offense, lining up some in the backfield as well as wide receiver.

An Indian River - Highland Springs State Semis matchup would be fascinating, especially to see how the Braves and their passing attack does against an absolutely superb Highland Springs defense. Not only are the Springers strong up front and good against the run with Region 5B Defensive Player of the Year Christian White leading the way at linebacker, but they have a star-studded secondary with to me three All-State candidates in Malcolm Greene (several Power 5 offers), David Laney (multiple P5 offers) and Tremayne Talbert, who's a huge weapon on special teams as well.

That game, should we get it on Sat. Dec. 1 in Chesapeake, could be decided on special teams play. With Highland Springs scoring on four kick/punt returns in their regional semis win over Glen Allen, my guess is they are pretty confident about that unit rising to the occasion.

Of course, Indian River has to take care of business first against Maury - a team that is putting up 40.2 points per game on the year with their lone blemish coming to Lake Taylor (49-35) - and Highland Springs will have to beat Henrico for a second time this year. As a side note -- it wouldn't be nearly as juicy to most as HSHS/IR, but in an ordinary year, a matchup between Maury and Henrico would be a good one as both fill at least five scholarship players apiece, lots of offensive talent.
We've never met but I've seen you all over the state through the years at both football and basketball games for at least 15 years. Who would you say is true best "team" you've seen ever? If you'd even like to speculate on this forum of course

Thanks, and you are correct. I was thinking Maury and wrote IR. Particularly, I was thinking of Sheridan Jones leaving BS and Alvonte Lawton, who has been a game changer for Maury. I like IR's physicality, but don't know if they can slow HSHS for four quarters. Then again, Maury may send IR home.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the the very best HS team ever. I can say it is up there in the rankings!! I will say, the DEFENSE this year is the best I've seen in many years. As of right now, HS has outscored the opponents 595-45 (12-0)! In comparison, 2015 they were 612-186 (14-1): 2016: 620-208 (14-1) 2017; 500-179 (14-1). On paper, this alone could suggest that this team might be better than the previous 3.... Just speculation though... The Defense is definitely tougher!

Fair or unfair those other Springer teams were lined up against much tougher Bird and Hermitage teams so it is hard to apples to apples it at this point

We've never met but I've seen you all over the state through the years at both football and basketball games for at least 15 years. Who would you say is true best "team" you've seen ever? If you'd even like to speculate on this forum of course

Sure - I have no problem with that one. In terms of football, probably the best team I've seen was either the 2008 Phoebus or 2008 Oscar Smith team that won the state title. That '08 Smith team was better at the start of the two, whereas the '08 Phoebus team was better at the end. Can't go wrong with either one. This Highland Springs team in my opinion is in that conversation as the best since that team. Westfield has had some tremendous teams. Even the 2004 Landstown team led by Percy Harvin is up there.

Now, I wasn't around to see / cover / watch them live, but most believe the 1996 Hampton Crabbers is the best team ever in Virginia and I'd have a hard time arguing that one... that Ronald Curry-led squad seemed unstoppable. Of course, this Highland Springs team has to finish it off in a strong way and complete the four-peat to cement their legacy as one of the best teams ever in VA.

Great discussion to have... lot of good options for sure.

Thanks, and you are correct. I was thinking Maury and wrote IR. Particularly, I was thinking of Sheridan Jones leaving BS and Alvonte Lawton, who has been a game changer for Maury. I like IR's physicality, but don't know if they can slow HSHS for four quarters. Then again, Maury may send IR home.

Oh no problem. Yes, Sheridan Jones has made a major difference for Maury, especially in terms of his leadership. He missed a couple of games there for the Commodores (regular season finale against Granby, opening round of the playoffs vs. Warwick), yet the Under Armour All-American and Clemson recruit reportedly was in action against Salem on Friday night. Lawton, who came in from Norfolk Christian, has really done a nice job with their quick-passing game, finding his talented receivers in KeAndre Lambert, Ty Granger, Dashaun Peele and company. His deep ball isn't overly impressive, but he's well-built and shown improved mobility this year that has given them another dimension to their offense that defenses have had trouble containing as well.

Indian River's front four with the aforementioned Smiley, Kani Crite, Cameron Hunter and Lincorey Lucas is impressive. They can also go with a 3-man line and bring added pressure with their LB's in Moore and Charles Dixon (Morgan St. commit) to disrupt things. Plenty of options for Coach Glenwood Ferebee, d-coordinator Jeff McGowan (a former Head Coach himself) and Cadillac Harris (previous Braves HC, one of the chief defensive assistants) to cause problems for opponents.

Slowing Highland Springs will be a chore for anyone, though judging from some results this year and last year, the Springers are more prone to a slow start than a poor finish, so the door may be slightly open there for a team to jump out to an early lead or keep them at bay till half-time. After all, it's nit-picking. The Springers are ONLY outscoring opponents on average I believe 50-6 per game. Manchester is right around a similar average of something like 56-7 in Class 6, so the '804' area code has two juggernauts that look to steamroll their way into December. Manchester will have a harder game in my opinion though with unbeaten Colonial Forge in the Region 6B title game.

Oh no problem. Yes, Sheridan Jones has made a major difference for Maury, especially in terms of his leadership. He missed a couple of games there for the Commodores (regular season finale against Granby, opening round of the playoffs vs. Warwick), yet the Under Armour All-American and Clemson recruit reportedly was in action against Salem on Friday night. Lawton, who came in from Norfolk Christian, has really done a nice job with their quick-passing game, finding his talented receivers in KeAndre Lambert, Ty Granger, Dashaun Peele and company. His deep ball isn't overly impressive, but he's well-built and shown improved mobility this year that has given them another dimension to their offense that defenses have had trouble containing as well.

Indian River's front four with the aforementioned Smiley, Kani Crite, Cameron Hunter and Lincorey Lucas is impressive. They can also go with a 3-man line and bring added pressure with their LB's in Moore and Charles Dixon (Morgan St. commit) to disrupt things. Plenty of options for Coach Glenwood Ferebee, d-coordinator Jeff McGowan (a former Head Coach himself) and Cadillac Harris (previous Braves HC, one of the chief defensive assistants) to cause problems for opponents.

Slowing Highland Springs will be a chore for anyone, though judging from some results this year and last year, the Springers are more prone to a slow start than a poor finish, so the door may be slightly open there for a team to jump out to an early lead or keep them at bay till half-time. After all, it's nit-picking. The Springers are ONLY outscoring opponents on average I believe 50-6 per game. Manchester is right around a similar average of something like 56-7 in Class 6, so the '804' area code has two juggernauts that look to steamroll their way into December. Manchester will have a harder game in my opinion though with unbeaten Colonial Forge in the Region 6B title game.

I believe McGowan was head coach at Green immediately after, or shortly after, Harris left Green Run as the head coach. Harris coached Ferebee (qb) at Green Run and Ferebee had some guy called Plax that he used to throw too. So these coaches have a history.

Reactions: matthew328826

Manchester
HSHS
Westfield
Colonial Forge
Indian River
I did not see @springer76 score prediction,but I’ll take Highland Springs,over ANY team left,by 2 scores. They just have too many weapons in all 3 phases for anyone this year.

I like this year’s team over the Dortch led team,because there is no let down like losing to Meadowbrook 8-7. They absolutely bury teams with a STARTING D that has only given up 2 TDs all season. This team has better O & D-line play.

I like Manchester too,but no one has hit them in the mouth since last year. So, until they get over the hump of C Forge I still have to put them behind Westfield and CF.

My Top 5:
Highland Springs
Westfield(Champions find a way)
IRiver
Oscar Smith
CForge(can’t put Manchester ahead til they prove it on the field)

I did not see @springer76 score prediction,but I’ll take Highland Springs,over ANY team left,by 2 scores. They just have too many weapons in all 3 phases for anyone this year.

I like this year’s team over the Dortch led team,because there is no let down like losing to Meadowbrook 8-7. They absolutely bury teams with a STARTING D that has only given up 2 TDs all season. This team has better O & D-line play.

I like Manchester too,but no one has hit them in the mouth since last year. So, until they get over the hump of C Forge I still have to put them behind Westfield and CF.

My Top 5:
Highland Springs
Westfield(Champions find a way)
IRiver
Oscar Smith
CForge(can’t put Manchester ahead til they prove it on the field)

Someone said 36-24 HSHS... I like that that prediction.

Totally understand your reservation with Manchester’s given their recent history. That is completely fair. I know that Forge is undefeated. I also know it is dangerous to do this but... when I looked at who they have played (common opponents) as Manchester and Springs.... I think Manchester will get it done. The road to a 6a championship is filled with trap doors... OL vs OS should be a whale of a game also

I’m noticing a glaring omission to your credits on the IR defense. No comment on their secondary! I have heard it’s an issue. Considering the HSHS passing attack....a “weak secondary” is not going to bode well. Thoughts?!

Indian River dominated Oscar Smith.

To say they don't have the horses too go 4 quarters with anyone is crazy.

Disciple could be an issue but those guys are very talented and can play with anyone.
They dominated OS using dirty play! Their stud NT was ejected for it! I can promise you...intentionally hurting HSHS’s kids won’t hurt a bit with their depth at EVERY POSITION,including QB!

When @springer76 said,the horses to go 4 quarters...he meant the depth is ridiculous. The D-line is so deep(9 players)a 6’1-295lb JR DT transfer has to come off the bench,and was a 2-way stud at Glen Allen last year. They play with 8 interchangeable DBs,to keep them fresh. 8 different RBs and 7 different WRs were used in week 1 of the playoffs first half. Heck...they even have 2 kickers in case of an injury. As he said...horses and depth galore. 3 excellent QBs too!

If IR can’t score more than 21 points...they WON’T win! This isn’t NR(4 TOs And 100yds In penalties),or OSmith missing 3 stars! This is the 3x Defending State Champions that has won 26 in a row!!!

Sure - I have no problem with that one. In terms of football, probably the best team I've seen was either the 2008 Phoebus or 2008 Oscar Smith team that won the state title. That '08 Smith team was better at the start of the two, whereas the '08 Phoebus team was better at the end. Can't go wrong with either one. This Highland Springs team in my opinion is in that conversation as the best since that team. Westfield has had some tremendous teams. Even the 2004 Landstown team led by Percy Harvin is up there.

Now, I wasn't around to see / cover / watch them live, but most believe the 1996 Hampton Crabbers is the best team ever in Virginia and I'd have a hard time arguing that one... that Ronald Curry-led squad seemed unstoppable. Of course, this Highland Springs team has to finish it off in a strong way and complete the four-peat to cement their legacy as one of the best teams ever in VA.

Great discussion to have... lot of good options for sure.
Ahhh yes, Coach Dee(rip) at Phoebus was certainly one of the best programs and Tahj Boyd had a great career as a Phantom. I believe Rivals had them ranked Top 5 in the nation that year.

They dominated OS using dirty play! Their stud NT was ejected for it! I can promise you...intentionally hurting HSHS’s kids won’t hurt a bit with their depth at EVERY POSITION,including QB!

When @springer76 said,the horses to go 4 quarters...he meant the depth is ridiculous. The D-line is so deep(9 players)a 6’1-295lb JR DT transfer has to come off the bench,and was a 2-way stud at Glen Allen last year. They play with 8 interchangeable DBs,to keep them fresh. 8 different RBs and 7 different WRs were used in week 1 of the playoffs first half. Heck...they even have 2 kickers in case of an injury. As he said...horses and depth galore. 3 excellent QBs too!

If IR can’t score more than 21 points...they WON’T win! This isn’t NR(4 TOs And 100yds In penalties),or OSmith missing 3 stars! This is the 3x Defending State Champions that has won 26 in a row!!!
I didn't see dirty play. They flat out beat Oscar Smith. They are a great team but everyone knows HSHS is too much for them.

I didn't see dirty play. They flat out beat Oscar Smith. They are a great team but everyone knows HSHS is too much for them.
So,you missed the play where the NT ripped the helmet off the starting RB’s head,injuring him,and getting ejected for it?! Or the late hit on the QB that drew a roughing the passer call,that knocked the QB out of the game?! Nahhhh....it was all clean hard play(sarcasm)!! Highland Springs DOES have too much for ANYONE,and they’ve shown it since last year.

I know dirty play when I see it,but hey...Karma is a B,and scholarships can be pulled.

I'm going to redirect this thread back to Maury vs IR.... I think the key to beating I. River will be IF Maury can put pressure on D. Brooks. He's had a great season with a lot of athletes to get the ball to and has enjoyed little to no real pressure in the pocket. He definitely had issues holding onto the ball too long last year with Smith and was a turn over machine at times. (vs Colonial Forge & Westfield). The issue is that Maury likely will have to blitz to get to him. If they can disguise coverages to confuse him AND send the right blitz package, he's going to cough up the ball.

Wow, hit a soft spot.

It's easy to call dirty play when you don't like the outcome of the game. Losers usually do.

I said it earlier here, to write off IR is a mistake. No one knows what will happen in that game. These are high school kids first and foremost. They're about as unpredictable as they can be.

With that said, HSHS has to come to Chesapeake and get it done. No matter what anyone says here. They gotta show up and play. Hopefully, the kids are wiser than some here and take IR seriously. Otherwise HSHS will be seeing IR depth play in a mop up roll.

Wow, hit a soft spot.

It's easy to call dirty play when you don't like the outcome of the game. Losers usually do.

I said it earlier here, to write off IR is a mistake. No one knows what will happen in that game. These are high school kids first and foremost. They're about as unpredictable as they can be.

With that said, HSHS has to come to Chesapeake and get it done. No matter what anyone says here. They gotta show up and play. Hopefully, the kids are wiser than some here and take IR seriously. Otherwise HSHS will be seeing IR depth play in a mop up roll.
We don't overlook nobody but right now our focus is on Henrico , Friday at 1pm and as for as you saying we gotta goto Chesapeake. We welcome the challenge cause we have played 12 games with 8 being away games so we don't mind traveling. Good Luck to yall this wknd!!

Reactions: HooSprings
I’m noticing a glaring omission to your credits on the IR defense. No comment on their secondary! I have heard it’s an issue. Considering the HSHS passing attack....a “weak secondary” is not going to bode well. Thoughts?!

Watch this off-season interview with Braves Coach Glenwood Ferebee, where I ask at around the 3:44 mark about who's going to be that 'lockdown' type corner:

Thru the regular season - Demetri 'Speedy' Payne had 3 INT's, Bryan Stukes had a pair of INT's (one returned for TD), Dontae Brooks had 2 INT's and Rasheen Brooks had 3 INT's (including a pick-six). Don't think the secondary is as strong as the linebackers and defensive line for the Braves. But it's not been a glaring weakness at any point this year. All that being said, if they advance and if they see Highland Springs in the State Semis, their pass defense will be tested by the Springers. It should also get tested by a Maury passing attack this week that is very formidable.

Reactions: HooSprings
Wow, hit a soft spot.

Soft spot?! lol...no! Not hardly. I have NO DOG in the fight,but colleges that kids have committed to,or are recruiting,tend to pay more attention to a recruit when they’ve been ejected. JS

No one is “writing off” IR....or Maury & Henrico for that matter,nor is anyone taking any of them lightly. I assure you...Maury and Henrico are also expecting to win this week. IR and HSHS are the favorites,but this weird shaped ball tends to bounce funny.

As far as traveling to Chesapeake...HSHS has won the last 4x playing in the 757,and has won 6 STRAIGHT vs 757 teams(including Indian River),and doesn’t seem to mind coming east on a bus. Since 2015,HSHS has pretty much owned the 757.

If you think your “mop up” players will get in vs the #1 offense and #1 defense in the state....well...let’s just say...7 straight!!!

You don’t win 3 STRAIGHT RINGS(54-3 last 4 years)by taking teams lightly,and HSHS has Henrico first. Then...bring on the 757!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT