ADVERTISEMENT

Maury vs Indian River

We don't overlook nobody but right now our focus is on Henrico , Friday at 1pm and as for as you saying we gotta goto Chesapeake. We welcome the challenge cause we have played 12 games with 8 being away games so we don't mind traveling. Good Luck to yall this wknd!!
Good point! Even without Jones,Henrico has shown to be a very good team. Taking care of business this Friday is key,and staying as healthy as possible. These “road warriors” will be ready to play at home or on the road thanks to this great coaching staff!!!

Watch this off-season interview with Braves Coach Glenwood Ferebee, where I ask at around the 3:44 mark about who's going to be that 'lockdown' type corner:

Thru the regular season - Demetri 'Speedy' Payne had 3 INT's, Bryan Stukes had a pair of INT's (one returned for TD), Dontae Brooks had 2 INT's and Rasheen Brooks had 3 INT's (including a pick-six). Don't think the secondary is as strong as the linebackers and defensive line for the Braves. But it's not been a glaring weakness at any point this year. All that being said, if they advance and if they see Highland Springs in the State Semis, their pass defense will be tested by the Springers. It should also get tested by a Maury passing attack this week that is very formidable.
Thank you Matt. Good info. I know Maury has a great RB to keep the IR defense honest to both the run and pass,like Highland Springs does. Idk about Maury’s defense,but we’ll see. Let’s hope for some good games this weekend.

Good point! Even without Jones,Henrico has shown to be a very good team. Taking care of business this Friday is key,and staying as healthy as possible. These “road warriors” will be ready to play at home or on the road thanks to this great coaching staff!!!
Thank you much appreciated, we coaches at HSHS are just trying to make a difference in our community on East End of RVA.....BUILDING CHAMPIONS WITH CHARACTER IN CLASSROOM AND ON FIELD OF PLAY!!

Wow, hit a soft spot.

It's easy to call dirty play when you don't like the outcome of the game. Losers usually do.

I said it earlier here, to write off IR is a mistake. No one knows what will happen in that game. These are high school kids first and foremost. They're about as unpredictable as they can be.

With that said, HSHS has to come to Chesapeake and get it done. No matter what anyone says here. They gotta show up and play. Hopefully, the kids are wiser than some here and take IR seriously. Otherwise HSHS will be seeing IR depth play in a mop up roll.

Forksup, I wasn't at the KF vs I. River game but you might be able to expand on how that game went from an 7-6 KF edge at around half time. Then I. River turned things around for the 41-13 win?

As far as traveling to Chesapeake...HSHS has won the last 4x playing in the 757,and has won 6 STRAIGHT vs 757 teams(including Indian River),and doesn’t seem to mind coming east on a bus. Since 2015,HSHS has pretty much owned the 757.

Sorry to inform you, but none of the teams from the 757 you beat since 2015 weren’t even district champions. Sure they won region titles or you played them in the regular season, but they were hardly the "best" the 757 had to offer to make claims of "owning" the 757. That's like a team beating Varina and claiming to own the 804.

Last edited:
Thank you much appreciated, we coaches at HSHS are just trying to make a difference in our community on East End of RVA.....BUILDING CHAMPIONS WITH CHARACTER IN CLASSROOM AND ON FIELD OF PLAY!!
That's what I respect most about the coaching staff at HSHS. The "fans" do all the talking but the coaches, players(people actually apart of the program) are humble and want to build character in young men that will last a lifetime. Much respect to the coaching staff and best of luck in the playoffs.

Reactions: vtperry
Sorry to inform you, but none of the teams from the 757 you beat since 2015 weren’t even district champions. Sure they won region titles or you played them in the regular season, but they were hardly the "best" the 757 had to offer to make claims of "owning" the 757. That's like a team beating Varina and claiming to own the 804.
3 757 REGION Champions in D5 have suffered the same fate 3 yrs in a row. 3 different teams! 3 757 teams have suffered the same result to HS in the regular season. I invite OS,OL,LT,Phs,or anyone else that wants to play,put Highland Springs on their schedule! I’m quite sure the home & home would be worth the gate. Just give them a call! They plastered Woodside again this year,and I believe they WILL beat IR(District Champions) again for the state semi. Winning the state will be 6 straight over the 757,and 6 straight won IN the 757(3x in Hampton).

Highland Springs runs the 804,not Varina! Bring any 757 team you want to play HS. I’m sure they would welcome ANY takers. Shoot...I’d even pay to see the OS JV play the HS JV!!

I'm going to redirect this thread back to Maury vs IR.... I think the key to beating I. River will be IF Maury can put pressure on D. Brooks. He's had a great season with a lot of athletes to get the ball to and has enjoyed little to no real pressure in the pocket. He definitely had issues holding onto the ball too long last year with Smith and was a turn over machine at times. (vs Colonial Forge & Westfield). The issue is that Maury likely will have to blitz to get to him. If they can disguise coverages to confuse him AND send the right blitz package, he's going to cough up the ball.
Maury will need to get pressure on him with 5 of the front 7. Maury will have to keep possession of the ball with a good run/pass mix,avoid stupid penalties,and avoid turnovers. If IR can control the LOS,The IR QB will pick them apart. The good things is....with either team’s ability to throw,neither has to change their offense if they fall behind. If the game is Saturday,the field will be wet too.

Maury will need to get pressure on him with 5 of the front 7. Maury will have to keep possession of the ball with a good run/pass mix,avoid stupid penalties,and avoid turnovers. If IR can control the LOS,The IR QB will pick them apart. The good things is....with either team’s ability to throw,neither has to change their offense if they fall behind. If the game is Saturday,the field will be wet too.

Indian River needs to not take Maury lightly... I will say that. I don't think their is anyway a Jalon Jones-less Henrico can beat Springs. If the IR vs Maury game ends up being streamed.... can someone please let us know.

I’m noticing a glaring omission to your credits on the IR defense. No comment on their secondary! I have heard it’s an issue. Considering the HSHS passing attack....a “weak secondary” is not going to bode well. Thoughts?!
IR has a very talented secondary also with speed and ball skills. If IR gets to the game the matchup will be intriguing. A lot of talent of both sidelines.

Reactions: mbonape1
IR has a very talented secondary also with speed and ball skills. If IR gets to the game the matchup will be intriguing. A lot of talent of both sidelines.
No one said they weren’t talented. It’s been said that it’s the weakest part of their defense,and it is! They may be fast with talented ball skills,but they’re not as good as the front 7. It’s not a D1 secondary like up front,but that doesn’t mean they’re not good. Idk about Maury,but HSHS is gonna throw 3 or 4 D1 WRs at them,so their front 7 will be key.

No one said they weren’t talented. It’s been said that it’s the weakest part of their defense,and it is! They may be fast with talented ball skills,but they’re not as good as the front 7. It’s not a D1 secondary like up front,but that doesn’t mean they’re not good. Idk about Maury,but HSHS is gonna throw 3 or 4 D1 WRs at them,so their front 7 will be key.
I've watched Indian River a couple of times and their secondary is full of All-District selections on all level. Not predicting a winner but I think it's safe to say that Indian River will be able to match up better with Springs then any other team in playoffs. I am impressed by the play of their secondary, Brooks and James can straight out fly. I believe Spruill is an emerging star and Demetri Payne is All-District selection. I really love what Springs has been able to accomplish and they deserve all of the praise that they are getting. River is a very worthy group also and it will be the game of the year!

I've watched Indian River a couple of times and their secondary is full of All-District selections on all level. Not predicting a winner but I think it's safe to say that Indian River will be able to match up better with Springs then any other team in playoffs. I am impressed by the play of their secondary, Brooks and James can straight out fly. I believe Spruill is an emerging star and Demetri Payne is All-District selection. I really love what Springs has been able to accomplish and they deserve all of the praise that they are getting. River is a very worthy group also and it will be the game of the year!
They’ve only faced ONE good QB all year,and he only played 1quarter. So,how do you know they’re good. Maury “May” test them,and Highland Springs SURELY will. IR will need to defend the pass with 7 which will take away from their run defense. 4 DBs are NOT enough.

You say that IR will be able to match up better than any other team,but I still believe that Highland Springs is still 2 scores better than ANY team left. NR held IR to 20pts...that WON’T be enough next week!

They’ve only faced ONE good QB all year,and he only played 1quarter. So,how do you know they’re good. Maury “May” test them,and Highland Springs SURELY will. IR will need to defend the pass with 7 which will take away from their run defense. 4 DBs are NOT enough.

You say that IR will be able to match up better than any other team,but I still believe that Highland Springs is still 2 scores better than ANY team left. NR held IR to 20pts...that WON’T be enough next week!

Great to have all those weapons outside. Gotta have time to get it to them.

You've been extremely confident about HSHS. Don't disappear if they lose.

Considering they returned the ENTIRE offensive and defensive lines from last year’s State Finals team(they were all Sophomores),I’m quite sure they’ll have time to get the ball to their skill players. IMHO,THIS TEAM is better than the Dortch led team BECAUSE of the line play. They returned 18 starters from that team last year,replacing the 4 that left with Ali Jennings(WVU commit)among 3 D1 transfers.

I’ll still be around. I just love it when someone tries to become the Alpha dog when the Current Alpha dog is the best I’ve seen since Curry. Just like that team....this team doesn’t have any weaknesses. FYI....the teams over the next 2-3 years will be even better!

ForksUp, I think that there is a chance that HooSprings is either Springer76 or else his double. They both speak (write) almost exactly alike. :rolleyes:;)

Reactions: springer76
ForksUp, I think that there is a chance that HooSprings is either Springer76 or else his double. They both speak (write) almost exactly alike. :rolleyes:;)
Honestly, I don't know who "HooSprings" is!!! He/she sounds just like one of my friends, but I asked him and he said, "it's not me"! So, I have no idea... HooSprings, hit me up, let's talk Springer Ball!! (moosecat2@verizon.net). Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Not hardly. See things from different angles & perspectives,like knowing that one of the skill players took an official visit to Notre Dame last Saturday. Do you realize that HS won the title last year WITHOUT their best corner. Now he’s back and they added another D1 transfer corner. So HS only got better and more experienced.

Quite honestly...the depth may end up being the difference. HS doesn’t have any let down when they change players to stay fresh. Fact is...a D1 transfer DT can’t start on this front 4.

I’ve never seen a team that doesn’t have ANY weakness. Maybe there’s a coach out there that can find a weakness on film,but I sure don’t see one. They’ve faced a QB going to Florida and one going to VT. They’ve faced the #1 RB in the State(NStafford),they’ve faced a RB that Alabama is looking at,and they will face another highly recruited RB for the second time tomorrow. They’ve seen teams with good Olines and DLines(Front 7). They’ve faced teams with size & speed. All have faced the same fate. Prove me wrong!

I actually like the dialogue Springer brings to the board, his confidence is respectable. But the other guy is a clown. Yes HSHS is a great team with a lot of pieces, but like any other team they have to strap it up and execute with ALL those Hall of Fame ready players! NOBODY is taking anything away from HSHS but the teams left are here for a reason and these games WILL be a test, I can't wait to see who comes out on top! In my humble opinion of course.

I actually like the dialogue Springer brings to the board, his confidence is respectable. But the other guy is a clown. Yes HSHS is a great team with a lot of pieces, but like any other team they have to strap it up and execute with ALL those Hall of Fame ready players! NOBODY is taking anything away from HSHS but the teams left are here for a reason and these games WILL be a test, I can't wait to see who comes out on top! In my humble opinion of course.
Clown?!?! Stating facts is a clown?! You poor thing! You say everyone has earned the right to be here,but maybe it’s because of fortunate bracketing. HSHS has been the CLEAR #1 team all year,and have proven it. I’m sorry if the star studded players hurt your feelings,but this talent is developed within this great coaching staff,and kids choosing to play for a winner. I can be humble or I can be confident. If you want to call a little cockiness “clowning”,oh well!

Just like the last 3 years....They’ll prove it on the field....AGAIN!

They're really putting it on IR.

I wanted to go to the game tonight but couldn't make it. I saw IR play OS and really thought they would run through Maury. Admittedly I have not seen Maury play this year. Seems like they are pretty damn good too.

Reactions: CavsGrad

I wanted to go to the game tonight but couldn't make it. I saw IR play OS and really thought they would run through Maury. Admittedly I have not seen Maury play this year. Seems like they are pretty damn good too.
IR hadn’t faced a good QB all year,except 1qtr,and they got exposed. Facing double wings & read options all year don’t help you prepare for a good spread QB,and it ended their season. Now Maury gets to head up 64W to face the Springers.

Gonna be a wet nasty field next Saturday!

I too got my first glimpse of IR at OS and really thought IR OL and DL would make a difference. Maury can throw, should be a great matchup next Saturday. That's why they strap it up and play right?!

IR hadn’t faced a good QB all year,except 1qtr,and they got exposed. Facing double wings & read options all year don’t help you prepare for a good spread QB,and it ended their season. Now Maury gets to head up 64W to face the Springers.

Gonna be a wet nasty field next Saturday!
Now they're calling for sunny skies and 51º Saturday!

I too got my first glimpse of IR at OS and really thought IR OL and DL would make a difference. Maury can throw, should be a great matchup next Saturday. That's why they strap it up and play right?!

Yeah, I thought the same.

Apparently there is no need to play. According to @HooSprings this game is already over.

If I get a chance this week I'll be sure to stop by Maury's practice and tell them there is no reason to drive that way. HSHS has already been given their spot in the title game

Not shocked that IR lost but I am stunned in the fashion they lost. WOW!

Not hardly. See things from different angles & perspectives,like knowing that one of the skill players took an official visit to Notre Dame last Saturday. Do you realize that HS won the title last year WITHOUT their best corner. Now he’s back and they added another D1 transfer corner. So HS only got better and more experienced.

Quite honestly...the depth may end up being the difference. HS doesn’t have any let down when they change players to stay fresh. Fact is...a D1 transfer DT can’t start on this front 4.

I’ve never seen a team that doesn’t have ANY weakness. Maybe there’s a coach out there that can find a weakness on film,but I sure don’t see one. They’ve faced a QB going to Florida and one going to VT. They’ve faced the #1 RB in the State(NStafford),they’ve faced a RB that Alabama is looking at,and they will face another highly recruited RB for the second time tomorrow. They’ve seen teams with good Olines and DLines(Front 7). They’ve faced teams with size & speed. All have faced the same fate. Prove me wrong!

I may be missing it but when did HSHS play NS?

I may be missing it but when did HSHS play NS?
They scrimmaged before the season started with HSHS winning rather easily. Fact is....NS is the only team to score more than once on the HSHS STARTING defense. Their RB is exceptional! The NS defense got taken apart,but it was JUST A SCRIMMAGE.

Love to see them in Hampton!

Apparently there is no need to play. According to @HooSprings this game is already over.

If I get a chance this week I'll be sure to stop by Maury's practice and tell them there is no reason to drive that way. HSHS has already been given their spot in the title game
No one said there was no reason to even show up. I agree that all the teams are good,but HSHS is on another level. I DID finally find a weakness in yesterday’s game. OVERCONFIDENCE! It led to multiple lapses in intensity and discipline(minor penalties and missed assignments in the first 3 minutes of the game). After that...it was lights out,but that’s the second time that’s happened this year,and if it happens in the next 2 weeks,it could be a dog fight. Someone still has to find a way to score on that defense for 4 qtrs,because HSHS is GONNA score,so it’s gonna take 30+ points to beat HSHS. Don’t see it happening,but we’ll see! Strap’m up boys...come on up 64W Maury! Springers will be waiting!

Ha Yes, He's been better with it though, hoping it'll be a trend. All the players and stats and what sounds good is irrelevent at this time. Execute and avoid mental mistakes. These are kids you can't predict perfection.

Ha Yes, He's been better with it though, hoping it'll be a trend. All the players and stats and what sounds good is irrelevent at this time. Execute and avoid mental mistakes. These are kids you can't predict perfection.
Coach J made a comment in the news paper review and he is exactly right! "We absolutely need to play better if it wants to join Hampton and Phoebus as the only schools to win 4 consecutive State Championships." "The mental errors early on, we can't afford those at any point. We've got to make sure we eliminate those."
First half was a bit sloppy and loaded with those pesky mental mistakes.... Let's Go Springers!!! You've got this thing! A good weeks practice lies ahead of you!!

Reactions: SportsJunkie32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT