ADVERTISEMENT

Mid-Year Thoughts on Region C

intrinsicreward

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 4, 2015
Favorites gotta be Graham, Union from D but there are other dark horses out there.

Not much on here about Region C so thought I would start the conversation. Sorry about Radford. They had their best team in years IMO. It will be interesting to see how far they can go. Sometimes teams rally with adversity. We will see.

Appo seems down compared to previous years but they will be a tough out come playoff time. They always have the athletes that get stronger as the year grinds on.

Glenvar had some tough losses against really good teams but they are healthy with a few exceptions and they seem to get better every week. Really impressed with the passing game which looked weak to start the year. Kindof reminds me of the passing game from the 2014 team that didn't develop until later in the year. Glenvar needs to play better at Oline but it's getting obviously better week to week. That will take the pressure off the running game which has been the strength of this team. I like the way Glenvar moved the ball in a very balanced attack against good teams,. We just left to many opportunities in the red zone to pull off more wins. This team could easily be 5-1 instead of 3-3 but that's only coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Any thoughts on other teams? Giles, Floyd, Radford???

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Good stuff in this thread. Glenvar is still talented and good enough to win Region C. Getting healthy matters. I still think Appo will come out of it and win the Region. I don't think Appo is as down as many may think. Radford is still solid, but it shows how injuries can have a huge effect at the 2A level and you can only have so many before it literally changes the outcomes of games. I believe all 4 teams in Region C in game 11 will be very close in play level, but I actually think we are the 4th best at this point (Radford). If Glenvar or Gretna won the Region, it wouldn't be an upset or surprise in any form.

For Region D, Ridgeview is more than in the mix. They are for real. We will know plenty about Ridgeview come this weekend with the Union game. In Region D, I still believe that Graham's best game or as they say, "A" game is better than the other three and probably better than those in Region C, but Graham has a bit of a time or struggles on many games to bring it's "A" game. But to beat them, a team will need help in the form of Graham penalties/turnovers.

Giles and Floyd are not in the discussion and shouldn't be. Not this year.

Richlands should be. They may not be the favorite, but with their coaching and community support you can't count them out.

It's all about the progression. Teams that looked "down" in week 1 may emerge on top. In years past, by midseason there has been a clear favorite. This year is wide open in both regions. Each have 4 legitimate challengers. Beyond those 4 there's a steep drop. Round 2 in the playoffs will be fun.

Appomattox will set their stage Friday at Gretna. We win... we are in the mix big time, if we lose we can still make a run but it will be hard.

Reactions: moto138
Not that I know much about C or D, but I think certainly would have to mention Ridgeview at the top right now
Region D is Ridgeview's to lose, but they were upset early in the playoffs the last 2 years, so anything can happen. The D semifinal and final will be really good games.

What Fairlawncat said... (forgot to put the quote)

Would say this is right. Yes Graham lost in the regular season but until they are ousted from the playoffs they are still the team to beat.
Now Union leveled the paying field more on them with the win though.

What Fairlawncat said... (forgot to put the quote)

Would say this is right. Yes Graham lost in the regular season but until they are ousted from the playoffs they are still the team to beat.
Now Union leveled the paying field more on them with the win though.

What if Ridgeview beats Union by 2 scores. Now, that gets people's attention and if they do that, it would be hard to pick against these boys. I'm watching this game in person. Can't wait to see Bullitt Park and all the history with Powell Valley at that place, and beastmode Ridgeview RB.

Reactions: obguthr
What if Ridgeview beats Union by 2 scores. Now, that gets people's attention and if they do that, it would be hard to pick against these boys. I'm watching this game in person. Can't wait to see Bullitt Park and all the history with Powell Valley at that place, and beastmode Ridgeview RB.
Get down here early if you want a parking spot. If you want a seat, you may can find one on visitors side depending on how many RV brings because the home side fills up fast.
Union is coming off a badly played game and lost one of their best LB/RBs to an ankle injury. Trying to stop Adkins isn't easy, especially down an LB that plays very physical.

Key for Bears is gonna be not missing tackles. Can't let Adkins shrug off contact and keep going. If they can't tackle him clean, it's gonna be a long night.

Reactions: obguthr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT