ADVERTISEMENT

More useless nonsense.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
We had the tv on this evening and Wheel of Fortune was on. One of the participants said she was married to "the best high school football coach in America". Naturally, being the trained investigator that I am, (meant as a tongue in cheek comment), I wondered if I could put two and two together and see if he actually was "the best....!

It turns out he is Coach Scott Peters. He is the HC at Carl Sandburg High School in Illinois.

He may well be the best, but not the winningest!

But I did notice a little something that I thought odd. They only play a 9 game regular season.

So then I wondered if maybe they were a small rural school? Nope. Not with 3600 plus students.

I guess that's just the way they do it in The Prairie State?

Checked them out on MaxPreps. Their first opponent in 2016, Naperville North, also played a 9 game season (+1 PO loss) but when you looked at Naperville North in 2015 they played a 10 game regular season (season ended on a win).

It's probably a scheduling + $$$ thing and sometimes they play 9 and sometimes they play 10.

There was a VT RB, Darren Evans, who played about a decade ago and I remember keeping an eye on him in HS because he used to post absurd numbers (61 TDs as a senior on a reasonable amount of carries) and he played 9 game regular seasons and 5-6 game PO seasons for Warren Central at the top level of Indiana football.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
We had the tv on this evening and Wheel of Fortune was on. One of the participants said she was married to "the best high school football coach in America". Naturally, being the trained investigator that I am, (meant as a tongue in cheek comment), I wondered if I could put two and two together and see if he actually was "the best....!

It turns out he is Coach Scott Peters. He is the HC at Carl Sandburg High School in Illinois.

He may well be the best, but not the winningest!

But I did notice a little something that I thought odd. They only play a 9 game regular season.

So then I wondered if maybe they were a small rural school? Nope. Not with 3600 plus students.

I guess that's just the way they do it in The Prairie State?

Well, don't leave us in suspense. What is Coach Peters's record?

Apparently last year was his first as the Head Coach at Carl Sandburg. He finished 4-5. 186 PF, 319 PA.
He has some work ahead of him.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Checked them out on MaxPreps. Their first opponent in 2016, Naperville North, also played a 9 game season (+1 PO loss) but when you looked at Naperville North in 2015 they played a 10 game regular season (season ended on a win).

It's probably a scheduling + $$$ thing and sometimes they play 9 and sometimes they play 10.

There was a VT RB, Darren Evans, who played about a decade ago and I remember keeping an eye on him in HS because he used to post absurd numbers (61 TDs as a senior on a reasonable amount of carries) and he played 9 game regular seasons and 5-6 game PO seasons for Warren Central at the top level of Indiana football.

I can't speak for Illinois, but in Indiana, every school makes the playoffs so they only play 9 regular season games and then you have the possibility of 6 playoff games. So basically every school is guaranteed 10 games a year.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I can't speak for Illinois, but in Indiana, every school makes the playoffs so they only play 9 regular season games and then you have the possibility of 6 playoff games. So basically every school is guaranteed 10 games a year.

I cringed when I first read your post. Specifically "every school makes the playoffs". Then I thought about it and said "that's not a big deal".

What my mind saw was "every team gets a trophy", which is not it at all.

Many conferences across the Commonwealth have all of their teams make the playoffs, in several sports other than football.

Logistically, having every football team here in Virginia in the playoffs would be a nightmare. But, I guess the Hoosiers have it figured out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT