ADVERTISEMENT

My hats off…!

Sounds like it was a good game.
Congratulations to LCA and to Lafayette in their "rebuilding" year....Two great teams and both proved they deserved to be there.
I'm ready for next season 😂😂😂

Reactions: VolNation85
My hats off to both Lafayette and LCA. LCA is a very deserving champion, but Lafayette came roaring back and made them earn it. But most importantly to me, I loved the sportsmanship both teams displayed in the final seconds.
Didn’t see you today

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Lafayette had lots of talent. I wish they won't running Wing T. They should spread the field with that much talent.

Lafayette will be back. Great 2nd half. Best Public school in class 3.
I understand your plight @Lafayette in all this! You are most notably in the hearts of pure vhs football fans and I for one feel your pain! Unfortunately until a violation has been reported and an investigation ensues to find any violation all "public" schools will be subjected to playing a "private" school! If i read correctly there are only 3 states that DO NOT allow private schools to compete with public schools and Virginia is one of them. But my understanding also is LCA is under high scrutiny to report any transfers and have to have parents sign an affidavit to attest they are the ones whom have reached out to the schools to make first contact! I also do not understand the legal reasoning that allowed LCA to participate against public except a lawsuit against the VHSL committee, but the VHSL committee has some stipulations for LCA to adhere to. But my mind can't understand the why's of this whole dynamic, but if Virginia is one of only 3 whom DO NOT allow private/public teams to play, I guess we need to figure out how the true public schools can co-exist in this world because with college changing its landscape, just a matter of time before we have to teach our high school kids that life isn't fair, so learn to play within the parameters or we fall to the bottom of the barrel! There are a few teams I know will thrive in this world and some areas where moral coaches will choose the right thing and have .500 football teams in their best years! That being said, good luck to everyone and all teams moving forward and wish everyone great health and God Bless!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I understand your plight @Lafayette in all this! You are most notably in the hearts of pure vhs football fans and I for one feel your pain! Unfortunately until a violation has been reported and an investigation ensues to find any violation all "public" schools will be subjected to playing a "private" school! If i read correctly there are only 3 states that DO NOT allow private schools to compete with public schools and Virginia is one of them. But my understanding also is LCA is under high scrutiny to report any transfers and have to have parents sign an affidavit to attest they are the ones whom have reached out to the schools to make first contact! I also do not understand the legal reasoning that allowed LCA to participate against public except a lawsuit against the VHSL committee, but the VHSL committee has some stipulations for LCA to adhere to. But my mind can't understand the why's of this whole dynamic, but if Virginia is one of only 3 whom DO NOT allow private/public teams to play, I guess we need to figure out how the true public schools can co-exist in this world because with college changing its landscape, just a matter of time before we have to teach our high school kids that life isn't fair, so learn to play within the parameters or we fall to the bottom of the barrel! There are a few teams I know will thrive in this world and some areas where moral coaches will choose the right thing and have .500 football teams in their best years! That being said, good luck to everyone and all teams moving forward and wish everyone great health and God Bless!
Alot if not all stipulations have expired and an affidavit stating the parent contacted the school first is a joke.

Alot if not all stipulations have expired and an affidavit stating the parent contacted the school first is a joke.
Understood, and the VSHL even stated that they do not have an investigative team to look into all suspect activity (not just LCA)...so what does anyone take from that? If you ain't cheating you ain't trying and it ain't cheating if you don't get caught! Goodness I hope most of us are just plain better people than that! God Bless!

Reactions: gwb16 and oldfool2
I have a problem with that stat. I know New Jersey which has a very large number of public and private high schools does separate them at playoff time. One public school playoff system and another Private/Parochial playoff system. Not mixed.

I have a problem with that stat. I know New Jersey which has a very large number of public and private high schools does separate them at playoff time. One public school playoff system and another Private/Parochial playoff system. Not mixed.
Yeah, I got my information from a news article that is some years old and it had Texas, Virginia, and I'm thinking it was Maryland at the time but honestly, I haven't fact checked all these or even looked into them to see if any of that has been updated! I just replied back to your post because I know me and others in my community alone feel for whichever team was going to face LCA in the playoffs and for years to come! Lol, sometimes I quote outdated information and most times I shouldn't even quote or post at all! Im a feel person and post and quote with my heart more than my brain most times! Take Care! God Bless!

Lol...@Bo Bob, brother that's a saying I've heard numerous times in sporting movies and it just stuck in my mind through the years but I've always wondered if people live by these type premises or not! But to answer your question from my vantage point, yes I'm joking!
Gotcha!!

I didn’t make it. Sorry.
Sorry to hear that a member of the Amherst Boosters passed away. Would I have ever met her at LU?
Yes you met her last year. It was only us 3 ladiea. It was very sad to be there without her. She loved hosting the game just like me and Sheila does.

Yes you met her last year. It was only us 3 ladiea. It was very sad to be there without her. She loved hosting the game just like me and Sheila does.
I’m so sorry Wikki. I thought that I remembered her name from last year. I know your heart was heavy. You and all of the Amherst Ladies are in my prayers.

Just want to address a few inaccurate statements with this post. LCA is not under any more "scrutiny" or obligation to report transfers anymore than a public school. Also, parents do not have to sign any kind of affidavit related to their child transferring to LCA. Lastly, the only stipulation that LCA has is that they have to share a zone with Heritage. That just means that an LCA student must have a physical address within the Heritage/LCA zone in order to be eligible for sports. I know this from first hand experience.

Just want to address a few inaccurate statements with this post. LCA is not under any more "scrutiny" or obligation to report transfers anymore than a public school. Also, parents do not have to sign any kind of affidavit related to their child transferring to LCA. Lastly, the only stipulation that LCA has is that they have to share a zone with Heritage. That just means that an LCA student must have a physical address within the Heritage/LCA zone in order to be eligible for sports. I know this from first hand experience.
Explain the last statement please… does this mean that LCA only draws from the Heritage zone?

Reactions: VolNation85
Explain the last statement please… does this mean that LCA only draws from the Heritage zone?
A student can live anywhere and attend LCA but to eligible for sports they must have a physical address in the "Heritage/LCA Zone." They share a zone with Heritage for athletic purposes. Hope that makes sense.

A student can live anywhere and attend LCA but to eligible for sports they must have a physical address in the "Heritage/LCA Zone." They share a zone with Heritage for athletic purposes. Hope that makes sense.
So the kids from Forest, Amherst, Altavista,....all receive mail in Lynchburg.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwb16 and Lafayette
I am under the impression that the attendance zone for LCA only applies in the case of transfer student eligibility. If an LCA student lives in Bedford County (or anywhere else) and enrolls at LCA in 8th grade, then wouldn't he or she be eligible to compete for LCA without moving into the Heritage attendance zone? If he/she went to JF in 9th grade, then they would have to move into the Heritage zone to be eligible as a 10th grader. Is that consistent with your understanding? Because it seems clear that all of their athletes do not live in the Heritage attendance zone (though I realize that may be different than what the rules state).

I am under the impression that the attendance zone for LCA only applies in the case of transfer student eligibility. If an LCA student lives in Bedford County (or anywhere else) and enrolls at LCA in 8th grade, then wouldn't he or she be eligible to compete for LCA without moving into the Heritage attendance zone? If he/she went to JF in 9th grade, then they would have to move into the Heritage zone to be eligible as a 10th grader. Is that consistent with your understanding? Because it seems clear that all of their athletes do not live in the Heritage attendance zone (though I realize that may be different than what the rules state).
That is correct. I forgot about that part of the equation. The VHSL allows for a student at any member school to establish residency wherever they choose as a freshmen, in which case, makes them eligible for extracurricular activities without physically residing in the attendance zone of the school in which they attend. As you mentioned, they would need a physical address in the necessary attendance zone if they transferred to another school after establishing enrollment at a previous school.

I concur. That is my understanding too. And I reached out to a knowledgeable source and they confirmed, the LCA area for athletic participation is the same as Heritage High School attendance zone.

First, I wasn’t at all in favor of LCA joining the VHSL, but they are a member, and that fact will not change. And to remind anyone that may be late to the game, LU, using LCA as their cover, used extreme strong arm tactics to force their will upon the League. And, without any question, this occurred because of Jerry Falwell’s overinflated ego. He used the resources of LU to hire a top law firm out of NY, and they basically said to the VHSL, “admit LCA, or we will force you into financial ruin, and still get what we want.“

But, regardless of your feelings, LCA has been a stand up member in the League since they joined. In fact, if every member of the League was as compliant and responsive as they have been, the League would run a lot smoother.

Like VolNation said above, there are no requirements for LCA to do anything different to be in compliance that any other VHSL member school. And to the best of my knowledge there has never been even one allegation that was substantiated or brought to the VHSL for their consideration. Not one! Sure, all of us have pointed the finger, me included, but truthfully, it was mostly because we personally didn’t agree that they should be a member of the League.

But folks, they are, and they will be, and by all evidence they have been a cooperative and compliant member. I personally am over my animosity, and think of them as no different as any other member school.

Reactions: gwb16
That is correct. I forgot about that part of the equation. The VHSL allows for a student at any member school to establish residency wherever they choose as a freshmen, in which case, makes them eligible for extracurricular activities without physically residing in the attendance zone of the school in which they attend. As you mentioned, they would need a physical address in the necessary attendance zone if they transferred to another school after establishing enrollment at a previous school.
Opps, I think you are correct here too. I’ll try to confirm.

Reactions: Hilltopper1991
Opps, I think you are correct here too. I’ll try to confirm.
Middle school is the wild-west in several communities across the state in terms of where kids might shift around to certain programs within a community. If I understand the rules correctly (and I am open to correction) a major difference for LCA is you simply have to enroll before 9th grade, then you can reclass and it doesn't matter where you live. Now, you can reclass anywhere, but that seems to happen in private school a lot more than the publics.

None if this is a criticism of LCA, but if I have the facts right it offers them a significant potential structural advantage. Another potential advantage would be folks moving in and getting a job at LU with their promising middle school athlete (I know this happens in other places, but the LU/LCA dynamic is unique).

Reasonable people can disagree if there are other disadvantages that materially offset the advantages above.

I am open to correction on any of this.

[And, without any question, this occurred because of Jerry Falwell’s overinflated ego. He used the resources of LU to hire a top law firm out of NY, and they basically said to the VHSL, “admit LCA, or we will force you into financial ruin, and still get what we want.“]

To correct you just a little bit DP, LCA was first denied entry into the VHSL in 2006, and a suit was not brought until 2014 after several efforts to get in. Jerry Fallwell died in 2007 so it wasn't specifically him that vigorously pursued this course of action. It may have been Jerry Falwell Jr?

Anyway, I agree with your sentiments. They're here, just play ball.

[And, without any question, this occurred because of Jerry Falwell’s overinflated ego. He used the resources of LU to hire a top law firm out of NY, and they basically said to the VHSL, “admit LCA, or we will force you into financial ruin, and still get what we want.“]

To correct you just a little bit DP, LCA was first denied entry into the VHSL in 2006, and a suit was not brought until 2014 after several efforts to get in. Jerry Fallwell died in 2007 so it wasn't specifically him that vigorously pursued this course of action. It may have been Jerry Falwell Jr?

Anyway, I agree with your sentiments. They're here, just play ball.
Falwell Jr. Mike.

Senior was a good man. I respected him. Jr was and is a hypocritical, out and out dishonest man.

What years were you there?

I have the same memory as well. One time he and his wife walked into the cafeteria while I was in line. I sucker punched me in the gut and told me his wife did it to me.
He loved interacting with the students.

What years were you there?

I have the same memory as well. One time he and his wife walked into the cafeteria while I was in line. I sucker punched me in the gut and told me his wife did it to me.
He loved interacting with the students.
1994-1997

I think this article nearly mirrors my post or vice versa. If it's inaccurate, I didn't write the article just relayed the message thereof! I think there are actual personal quotes from LCA staff in this article and again I'm not a staff member just shared what I read is all. Have a great day and God Bless!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT