ADVERTISEMENT

My New State Top 10 (9-20-2023)

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Just my personal opinion. Not the official Virginia Preps one. Honestly, at this point in the season it's hard to find 10 teams even worthy of being ranked in the top 10. Lol.

1. Honaker
2. Essex
3. Sussex
4. Narrows
5. Grayson
6. Rye Cove
7. Twin Springs
8. George Wythe
9. Patrick Henry
10. Northumberland

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
1. Essex
2. Honaker
3. Sussex
4. Rye Cove
5. Narrows
6. Grayson
7. Patrick Henry
8. Northumberland
9. Galax
10. Parry McCluer

Reactions: kwhs95fan
My .02
1. Essex (they are clicking)
2. Honaker (time will tell but look good so far)
3. Sussex (when everyone is healthy could be a major problem)
4. Lunenburg (quietly going about their business could be a player late in the season) (on advice from counsel I am removing this team from consideration in Class 1, lol)
5A. Rye Cove (either of these next three could be really good but do they have any significant wins)
5B. Grayson
5C. Narrows
8 -12 all have flaws that unless fixed will cost games late in the year. In any order that pleases you

PH Glade Springs
PM
Galax
GW
Northumberland
Giles

Region A is Essex who is also my pick to win it all. The rest of the region is hit or miss who shows up. Lots of talent but inconsistent

Region B looks to be Sussex but I wouldn't count out a quietly strong Lunenburg team especially if they can secure home field.

Region C is full of G teams and those that like to beat up on them. The world was ready to crown Grayson last year but GW crashed that party. Galax is fair but not the caliber of a few short years ago. Narrows and PM may be a good game in a couple of weeks that will tell us more about the pecking order of the region. And I may be the lone wolf but I feel Giles shouldnt be slept on after their close game with Narrows.

Region D is always the mystery to me because I have no idea what the teams from KY and WV look like compared to the ones we know from SWVA. I am going with the consensus that Honaker is legit and that Rye Cove is having a season for the ages. Wouldn't surprise me if PH or hell anyone comes out of that region. I am not trying to be disrespectful but the teams that used to represent the SWVA area were hard as nails and hit like trains (no horns please, lol). I feel shrinking student population has hit these schools the hardest and its not something anyone wants to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wingo-Dingo
My .02
1. Essex (they are clicking)
2. Honaker (time will tell but look good so far)
3. Sussex (when everyone is healthy could be a major problem)
4. Lunenburg (quietly going about their business could be a player late in the season)
5A. Rye Cove (either of these next three could be really good but do they have any significant wins)
5B. Grayson
5C. Narrows
8 -12 all have flaws that unless fixed will cost games late in the year. In any order that pleases you

PH Glade Springs
PM
Galax
GW
Northumberland
Giles

Region A is Essex who is also my pick to win it all. The rest of the region is hit or miss who shows up. Lots of talent but inconsistent

Region B looks to be Sussex but I wouldn't count out a quietly strong Lunenburg team especially if they can secure home field.

Region C is full of G teams and those that like to beat up on them. The world was ready to crown Grayson last year but GW crashed that party. Galax is fair but not the caliber of a few short years ago. Narrows and PM may be a good game in a couple of weeks that will tell us more about the pecking order of the region. And I may be the lone wolf but I feel Giles shouldnt be slept on after their close game with Narrows.

Region D is always the mystery to me because I have no idea what the teams from KY and WV look like compared to the ones we know from SWVA. I am going with the consensus that Honaker is legit and that Rye Cove is having a season for the ages. Wouldn't surprise me if PH or hell anyone comes out of that region. I am not trying to be disrespectful but the teams that used to represent the SWVA area were hard as nails and hit like trains (no horns please, lol). I feel shrinking student population has hit these schools the hardest and its not something anyone wants to see.
Lunenburg moved up to Class 2 and are in Region A

Thanks you @kwhs95fan< i didnt realize they were in class 2 now. Maybe they represent that region with KW an Poquoson not quite as strong as usual......

Thanks you @kwhs95fan< i didnt realize they were in class 2 now. Maybe they represent that region with KW an Poquoson not quite as strong as usual......
I think KW and Poquoson are both a lot better than their records and by playoff time both will be so battle tested that they'll still meet in the Region A championship, if the seedings allow it. Lunenburg might end up with a higher seed, but they're not playing teams like Class 4 Hanover, Central Woodstock, Lafayette, Warhill, Tabb, Clarke County, etc, like King William and Poquoson are in the regular season.

I think KW and Poquoson are both a lot better than their records and by playoff time both will be so battle tested that they'll still meet in the Region A championship, if the seedings allow it. Lunenburg might end up with a higher seed, but they're not playing teams like Class 4 Hanover, Central Woodstock, Lafayette, Warhill, Tabb, Clarke County, etc, like King William and Poquoson are in the regular season.
Fair assessment just seems they arent quite as dominant as the past several years. IMO most programs are down slightly, and the football isn't quite as crisp overall. Could be my imagination though since i am older than dirt.

Fair assessment just seems they arent quite as dominant as the past several years. IMO most programs are down slightly, and the football isn't quite as crisp overall. Could be my imagination though since i am older than dirt.
I agree overall it does seem down. Like I mentioned above, I had a really hard time doing a top 10 because it was hard to find 10 teams worthy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT