ADVERTISEMENT

My Region D Playoff Preview

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
1. Salem (9-1) Always going to contend, but I think that Dinwiddie game will be the one trip up for them this year, or maybe the one at Amherst. Either way, they're easily going to reload and I think will be #1 in this tough region.

2. Blacksburg (7-3) Has a really touch schedule to start the year, I think they lose to Amherst, Salem, and either Giles/Botetourt or Richlands, but I don't think they'll be any worse than 7-3, and power points will get them this high ranking. They return the QB and many key players from the team that caught fire to win the 3A championship last year, but the jump up to 4A will be tough indeed.

3. Charlottesville (7-3) Returns QB and their star RB Sabias Folley, after a strong year of 7 wins, the Black Knight's are set for another year in contention. A good schedule for power points should set up a high seed for CHS. James Monroe and some tough district does like Albemarle, Louisa, Orange etc will prove difficult, bur I think Charlottesville escapes with 7 wins and another playoff birth as the 3 seed.

4. Amherst (6-4) Losses a ton of seniors, but QB is back. A tough schedule for the Lancers, with Salem, Heritage, EC Glass, Rustburg, Blacksburg, GW Danville...but I think Amherst has the stuff to also escape with a decent record and power points will help the Lancers get home field.

5. George Washington (7-3) A very strong nucleus returning from a very strong year. Eagles will be tested, but have the talent to have one of the best teams GW has seen in recent memory. I do however, think the Eagles will land here, number 5 in the region.

6. Jefferson Forest (6-4) After somewhat of a rebuilding year, the Cavaliers are back in full force. A 2-8 record last year, with many close losses to good teams, will turn into wins this year, with many good underclassmen getting more mature along with a very strong rising senior class.

7. EC Glass (6-4) The Hilltoppers exceeded all expectations last year, and will be hungry for more next year. They barely missed the playoffs after a 2-4 stretch to finish the year last year, but with Woody at the helm, EC Glass will again contend, and make it in the playing field this time, and will be very, very dangerous. c

8. William Byrd (5-5) Larry Basham is back, but not much else. The Terriers had a very successful year last year, but it will be hard to repeat last year's success with so many key pieces missing. Byrd should still contend however, with Basham.

1. Salem (9-1) Always going to contend, but I think that Dinwiddie game will be the one trip up for them this year, or maybe the one at Amherst. Either way, they're easily going to reload and I think will be #1 in this tough region.

2. Blacksburg (7-3) Has a really touch schedule to start the year, I think they lose to Amherst, Salem, and either Giles/Botetourt or Richlands, but I don't think they'll be any worse than 7-3, and power points will get them this high ranking. They return the QB and many key players from the team that caught fire to win the 3A championship last year, but the jump up to 4A will be tough indeed.

3. Charlottesville (7-3) Returns QB and their star RB Sabias Folley, after a strong year of 7 wins, the Black Knight's are set for another year in contention. A good schedule for power points should set up a high seed for CHS. James Monroe and some tough district does like Albemarle, Louisa, Orange etc will prove difficult, bur I think Charlottesville escapes with 7 wins and another playoff birth as the 3 seed.

4. Amherst (6-4) Losses a ton of seniors, but QB is back. A tough schedule for the Lancers, with Salem, Heritage, EC Glass, Rustburg, Blacksburg, GW Danville...but I think Amherst has the stuff to also escape with a decent record and power points will help the Lancers get home field.

5. George Washington (7-3) A very strong nucleus returning from a very strong year. Eagles will be tested, but have the talent to have one of the best teams GW has seen in recent memory. I do however, think the Eagles will land here, number 5 in the region.

6. Jefferson Forest (6-4) After somewhat of a rebuilding year, the Cavaliers are back in full force. A 2-8 record last year, with many close losses to good teams, will turn into wins this year, with many good underclassmen getting more mature along with a very strong rising senior class.

7. EC Glass (6-4) The Hilltoppers exceeded all expectations last year, and will be hungry for more next year. They barely missed the playoffs after a 2-4 stretch to finish the year last year, but with Woody at the helm, EC Glass will again contend, and make it in the playing field this time, and will be very, very dangerous. c

8. William Byrd (5-5) Larry Basham is back, but not much else. The Terriers had a very successful year last year, but it will be hard to repeat last year's success with so many key pieces missing. Byrd should still contend however, with Basham.

Pretty solid job there, blackknight_pride. Four months out, there are too many question marks surrounding most teams, but at this point your review seems reasonable.

Salem could finish anywhere from first to fourth, depending upon how well all the Spartans' questions are answered. I will also say that, IMHO, if Blacksburg plays at or above the level at which they were performing in December, they should blow both Giles and Botetourt off the map. Richlands will be somewhat tougher, especially if the game is at Richlands, as I'm thinking it is. I still think the Bruins will handle them, and finish 8-2 at the very worst.

Agree great post! Also agree with Spartan and DP regarding Blacksburg. Seem to be a team coming into 4A with a lot of steam and confidence! I will say this, the road to a state championship is much harder in 4A than 3A. It might be the biggest jump you can make in terms of level of comp.

Agree great post! Also agree with Spartan and DP regarding Blacksburg. Seem to be a team coming into 4A with a lot of steam and confidence! I will say this, the road to a state championship is much harder in 4A than 3A. It might be the biggest jump you can make in terms of level of comp.
They return at least 14 starters. They are 4A rookies, but that won't matter to them. They'll just treat it like last year and let the "chip" fall where it may. No one expected them to make it to game 11 or 12 last year much less winning 8/9 to end the season and the whole ball of wax. (Just as no one expected Salem to replace 18 starters from '14, overcome OL injuries all year, and avenge a loss of 25 pts to the defending champs LT in '15. (I know it was a different cast of characters)

Last edited:
They return at least 14 starters. They are 4A rookies, but that won't matter to them. They'll just treat it like last year and let the "chip" fall where it may. No one expected them to make it to game 11 or 12 last year much less winning 8/9 to end the season and the whole ball of wax. (Just as no one expected Salem to replace 18 starters from '14, overcome OL injuries all year, and avenge a loss of 25 pts to the defending champs LT in '15. (I know it was a different cast of characters)

I hear ya Mike and I don't disagree. They are going to have a good team and are a real threat. I just think the field is much tougher in 4A state-wide when it comes to playoff time. Make no mistake about it, Blacksburg is the new Monkey Wrench in 4A West.
As for Salem, they peeked at the right time and you have to give the coach a lot of credit for that. It is hard to time it. Salem is sort of like those old Indiana teams with Bob Knight coaching. Just get them in the tourney and you never know what might happen.

Reactions: mike salem
This is as good a prediction as any, but I just can't see Byrd dropping to 5-5. Yeah they lose two studs on the ends, but Basham is REALLY good. Byrd is one of those teams that might not look like much on film or on paper, but those kids come to fight. They are a physical bunch with a good coach. Each kid plays his role and in HS football that means a lot. Add in a play maker or two (or even better three), then watch out.

Reactions: one man
This is as good a prediction as any, but I just can't see Byrd dropping to 5-5. Yeah they lose two studs on the ends, but Basham is REALLY good. Byrd is one of those teams that might not look like much on film or on paper, but those kids come to fight. They are a physical bunch with a good coach. Each kid plays his role and in HS football that means a lot. Add in a play maker or two (or even better three), then watch out.

At this way-early juncture, I think 7-3 seems about right for Byrd, keeping in mind that they won't be playing Salem in the regular season. I'm not sure who they will be facing, but I can envision a loss to vengeance-minded Staunton River, along with two more - quite possibly Magna Vista, if they're still on the schedule. Basham is really good, but the only other player who was talented enough to take any heat off of him against the better competition was Watson, who will be gone. Byrd was pretty one-dimensional on offense last year; barring any secret weapons moving up from the JV or transferring in, they should be even more so this year. Given that and the loss of those two stud ends, I think William Byrd takes a step back this fall. But I agree that they probably won't step as far back as 5-5 - from what we know as of today.

At this way-early juncture, I think 7-3 seems about right for Byrd, keeping in mind that they won't be playing Salem in the regular season. I'm not sure who they will be facing, but I can envision a loss to vengeance-minded Staunton River, along with two more - quite possibly Magna Vista, if they're still on the schedule. Basham is really good, but the only other player who was talented enough to take any heat off of him against the better competition was Watson, who will be gone. Byrd was pretty one-dimensional on offense last year; barring any secret weapons moving up from the JV or transferring in, they should be even more so this year. Given that and the loss of those two stud ends, I think William Byrd takes a step back this fall. But I agree that they probably won't step as far back as 5-5 - from what we know as of today.
Idk their full schedule, but from Maxpreps I can piece together 8 games. Max shows 3 games- Hidden Valley, Bassett, and Richlands. I assume they'll continue to play fellow county school Cave Spring. BRD tmk will only have 5 members as Rockbridge goes to the Valley and Alleghany goes to the 3RD. i don't remember hearing any teams moving to the BRD so they'll play Fleming, Northside, Botetourt, and Staunton River in district and the 4 aforementioned OOD. (They don't play Magna Vista this year) Of those games I would think 5-3 is pretty doable. I guess whether they finish 5-5, 6-4, or 7-3 depends on the other 2 opponents.

Speculation on a couple of possible opponents- Franklin Co and a Seminole team- Rustburg, JF, or LCA. All the other teams have their OOD opponents posted on Maxpreps) Before adding MV 2 cycles ago they played a Seminole team (or sometimes 2) every year from '99-'12 (could be longer since Staunton River is the closest school to them and they were in the Seminole before joining joining the BRD, and I was just using VHSL-Ref also)

Last edited:
Idk their full schedule, but from Maxpreps I can piece together 8 games. Max shows 3 games- Hidden Valley, Bassett, and Richlands. I assume they'll continue to play fellow county school Cave Spring. BRD tmk will only have 5 members as Rockbridge goes to the Valley and Alleghany goes to the 3RD. i don't remember hearing any teams moving to the BRD so they'll play Fleming, Northside, Botetourt, and Staunton River in district and the 4 aforementioned OOD. (They don't play Magna Vista this year) Of those games I would think 5-3 is pretty doable. I guess whether they finish 5-5, 6-4, or 7-3 depends on the other 2 opponents.

Thanks. When I was trying to mentally put Byrd's schedule together, I completely forgot about Rockbridge and Alleghany going elsewhere. I gave Byrd wins over both. Alleghany and Byrd have literally been playing each other as fellow district members since at least as far back as the Nixon administration, so that would be really odd if they aren't playing anymore.

Blacksburg's game with Richlands is at Richlands. Something sort of unique about Blacksburg's schedule - the bye week doesn't occur until between games 9 and 10 (before the annual season-ending Battle of the Burgs with Christiansburg). Having such a late bye week is certainly not advantageous. Coaches like to try new combinations of players, scheme tweaks, etc. during bye weeks. With the Bruins' bye week coming so late those kind of tweaks will have to be done on the fly during the season between Friday nights.

I hear ya Mike and I don't disagree. They are going to have a good team and are a real threat. I just think the field is much tougher in 4A state-wide when it comes to playoff time. Make no mistake about it, Blacksburg is the new Monkey Wrench in 4A West.
As for Salem, they peeked at the right time and you have to give the coach a lot of credit for that. It is hard to time it. Salem is sort of like those old Indiana teams with Bob Knight coaching. Just get them in the tourney and you never know what might happen.
Byrd will go as Basham goes and that is dependent on finding some guys to replace the ones who opened holes last year. The first 7 on 7's were held yesterday and they generally don't tell you much other than who can run and whether a team can throw it and catch it in shorts, a far different proposition than when the bullets are flying in real pads. Having said that, both Blacksburg and Salem have plenty of talent that could make noise come playoff time

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead

Is it a given that the region will have an 8 team format?

Blacksburg's game with Richlands is at Richlands. Something sort of unique about Blacksburg's schedule - the bye week doesn't occur until between games 9 and 10 (before the annual season-ending Battle of the Burgs with Christiansburg). Having such a late bye week is certainly not advantageous. Coaches like to try new combinations of players, scheme tweaks, etc. during bye weeks. With the Bruins' bye week coming so late those kind of tweaks will have to be done on the fly during the season between Friday nights.
Salem's bye week was the 1st week a few cycles ago and then they played 10 in a row. As a fan I hated having to wait an additional week and I would imagine that was tough for the coaches and players.

Byrd will go as Basham goes and that is dependent on finding some guys to replace the ones who opened holes last year. The first 7 on 7's were held yesterday and they generally don't tell you much other than who can run and whether a team can throw it and catch it in shorts, a far different proposition than when the bullets are flying in real pads. Having said that, both Blacksburg and Salem have plenty of talent that could make noise come playoff time
I was frustrated because I've been waiting for something football related for months and I couldn't make it to the 1st 7v7 because my son had to work 2 hrs over and he has to help me in the chair. By the time I would've gotten to the stadium, there would have been less than an hour left and it looked like a storm was rolling in as well. I didn't want to get caught in a downpour and potentially mess up the electronics on my new chair. Nothing much to learn from a 7v7, but I like see the football being tossed around. So which teams were there Cut? I'm obviously hoping to be there next week.

I was frustrated because I've been waiting for something football related for months and I couldn't make it to the 1st 7v7 because my son had to work 2 hrs over and he has to help me in the chair. By the time I would've gotten to the stadium, there would have been less than an hour left and it looked like a storm was rolling in as well. I didn't want to get caught in a downpour and potentially mess up the electronics on my new chair. Nothing much to learn from a 7v7, but I like see the football being tossed around. So which teams were there Cut? I'm obviously hoping to be there next week.
Salem, Blacksburg, PH, FC, and Cave Spring. You didn'the miss anything other than a pleasant, breezy afternoon prior to rain.

For those of you who do not know Blacksburg coach is former Richland's Blue Tornado player. Richland's has a great history.

Nothing/nobody caught your eye?
I am sure some of the guys on the field would catch my eye in pads but, I never get very hyped about 7 on 7 because it reveals very little, in my opinion. The old cliche look like Tarzan, play like Jane is the the thing that sticks in my mind. I have seen kids in shorts catch everything thrown to them and you put pads on with the real threat of being decleated and they couldn't catch a cold naked in Alaska. Same thing with the QB that stands tall in the 7 on 7 pocket only to become a Fred Astaire impersonator with happy feet in the face of an oncoming rush by big, angry guys with pads on. 7 on 7 is great for working on timing and communication and giving fans an off-season fix but, at least in my opinion, trying to translate that to what you will see on Friday nights in the fall is a real stretch. Therefore, my reluctance to single individual kids out.

Last edited:
Hard to tell without the big uglies up front, but the Bburg skill players looked really good. They were very impressive, and that was without the freak Cole Beck being there. My humble guess is that if they hold their own up front they will be a force to be reckoned with. Skill player wise they will be as good as anyone in 4A. Time will tell..

Hard to tell without the big uglies up front, but the Bburg skill players looked really good. They were very impressive, and that was without the freak Cole Beck being there. My humble guess is that if they hold their own up front they will be a force to be reckoned with. Skill player wise they will be as good as anyone in 4A. Time will tell..

"Skill player wise they will be as good as anyone in 4A."

Having seen both Blacksburg and the very best teams that 4A has to offer each of the past three seasons, I can't agree with that statement. I just think the Bruins fall short primarily in the number of impact skill players, and in quality of play at the quarterback position. Last season, after losing arguably one of the two or three best running backs in 4A, Salem nevertheless thrived. The Spartans' next three backs - while not possessing Beck's blazing speed - were all better than whomever Blacksburg's second-best running back would have been. If, heaven forbid, Beck is lost to injury this year (and I sincerely hope that doesn't happen), would the Bruins be able to soldier on effectively?

Comparing Johnston to both Noah Beckley and Bryce Witt, the qb's for last year's 4A finalists - well, I think Johnston still has a long way to go. Perhaps longer than can be made up this season. And, Blacksburg's skill guys probably fall a little bit short in actual skill level, too. Leaving Salem out of it, nearly all the backs and receivers for Lake Taylor and Dinwiddie were close to phenomenal. Remember - "as good as anyone in 4A" is a pretty high bar to set. A good deal higher than what followers of 3A are accustomed to. The past four years, each of the state champions in 4A easily merit inclusion amongst the top ten teams overall in the state, which can definitely not be said for the past four 3A champs. Those 4A title-winners have included a lot of high-level skill players, and not just among the starters.

Please believe none of this is a knock on Blacksburg. All of their skill players should be improved from last year, and they're pretty darn good already. Further, if the worst of what I've heard concerning Salem pans out, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Bruins knock off the Spartans for the first time in fourteen years (and only the second time since '94) this fall. I already expect Blacksburg to be very good, and they could end up being one of the top two teams in Region D, along with C'ville. I also suspect, at this early point, that the Region D champ will knock off whomever emerges from Region C. So, I think Blacksburg has at least a decent shot in returning to Williamsburg, kicking off four hours later than last December. If that happens - then we will see about the level of their skill players, as measured against the best Class 4 has to offer.

Remember - "as good as anyone in 4A" is a pretty high bar to set. A good deal higher than what followers of 3A are accustomed to. The past four years, each of the state champions in 4A easily merit inclusion amongst the top ten teams overall in the state, which can definitely not be said for the past four 3A champs.

Totally agree here and you helped illustrate my previous points regarding the class of 3A vs 4A. I do believe that every "blue moon" there may be a 3A team that would be considered a top 10 team regardless of classification. But most seasons, no way.

In 4A there are usually 2 teams that could be top 10. And could potentially beat the other 5A-6A heavy weights on "any given Friday"

Hypothetical question with no right or wrong answer... just curious on your opinion.
To further illustrate this...
Stanton River was in the 3A finals, would they have gotten out of the first round of the 4A playoffs? I'm not so sure they would.

"Skill player wise they will be as good as anyone in 4A."

Having seen both Blacksburg and the very best teams that 4A has to offer each of the past three seasons, I can't agree with that statement. I just think the Bruins fall short primarily in the number of impact skill players, and in quality of play at the quarterback position. Last season, after losing arguably one of the two or three best running backs in 4A, Salem nevertheless thrived. The Spartans' next three backs - while not possessing Beck's blazing speed - were all better than whomever Blacksburg's second-best running back would have been. If, heaven forbid, Beck is lost to injury this year (and I sincerely hope that doesn't happen), would the Bruins be able to soldier on effectively?

Comparing Johnston to both Noah Beckley and Bryce Witt, the qb's for last year's 4A finalists - well, I think Johnston still has a long way to go. Perhaps longer than can be made up this season. And, Blacksburg's skill guys probably fall a little bit short in actual skill level, too. Leaving Salem out of it, nearly all the backs and receivers for Lake Taylor and Dinwiddie were close to phenomenal. Remember - "as good as anyone in 4A" is a pretty high bar to set. A good deal higher than what followers of 3A are accustomed to. The past four years, each of the state champions in 4A easily merit inclusion amongst the top ten teams overall in the state, which can definitely not be said for the past four 3A champs. Those 4A title-winners have included a lot of high-level skill players, and not just among the starters.

Please believe none of this is a knock on Blacksburg. All of their skill players should be improved from last year, and they're pretty darn good already. Further, if the worst of what I've heard concerning Salem pans out, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Bruins knock off the Spartans for the first time in fourteen years (and only the second time since '94) this fall. I already expect Blacksburg to be very good, and they could end up being one of the top two teams in Region D, along with C'ville. I also suspect, at this early point, that the Region D champ will knock off whomever emerges from Region C. So, I think Blacksburg has at least a decent shot in returning to Williamsburg, kicking off four hours later than last December. If that happens - then we will see about the level of their skill players, as measured against the best Class 4 has to offer.

A very thoughtful post. I will say this: Coleton Beck and Tiquest Terry both have Power 5 conference offers, so college coaching staffs obviously think a couple of Blacksburg's skill position players are pretty good. As for the QB Johnston, he's not a dual threat like Beckley was/is, but I believe we will see a much improved passer in '17. Comparing the sophomore Johnston to the senior Beckley is a bit unfair to Johnston (and that's not a knock AT ALL on Beckley, who was as solid a field general as it gets at this level the past couple of seasons). We'll have to see how Johnston develops in '17 and then we can begin to make a reasonable comparison between the two of them, IMHO.

This much is certain - the last weekend in August can't get here fast enough!

Not doubting 4A is much tougher, but it sure seems everyone forgot to tell Salem. They seem to be rolling along as if they didn't realize they moved up.

Salem did not move up. They have been 4 a since the early 90 s

That's correct. Salem dropped down from old AAA to AA in the fall of '88. I think they went from Division 6 to Division 4, bypassing 5 altogether. Enrollment has held steady at the Division 4/4A/Class 4 level ever since.

Totally agree here and you helped illustrate my previous points regarding the class of 3A vs 4A. I do believe that every "blue moon" there may be a 3A team that would be considered a top 10 team regardless of classification. But most seasons, no way.

In 4A there are usually 2 teams that could be top 10. And could potentially beat the other 5A-6A heavy weights on "any given Friday"

Hypothetical question with no right or wrong answer... just curious on your opinion.
To further illustrate this...
Stanton River was in the 3A finals, would they have gotten out of the first round of the 4A playoffs? I'm not so sure they would.

On the Staunton River question, how well they would have fared (hypothetically) in the 4A playoffs depends on seeding and matchups, of course. Having seen Millbrook and Pulaski County, I am of the opinion that the Golden Eagles would have beaten both of those teams, especially Millbrook. I also think SR was probably better than Heritage (Leesburg), whom Byrd pummeled, and Loudoun Valley, as well as one or two other 4A West playoff teams. So I guess I'm saying that I think Staunton River, having been very roughly equivalent to the sixth- or seventh-best team in 4A West, would have stood a decent chance of getting out of the first round.

A very thoughtful post. I will say this: Coleton Beck and Tiquest Terry both have Power 5 conference offers, so college coaching staffs obviously think a couple of Blacksburg's skill position players are pretty good. As for the QB Johnston, he's not a dual threat like Beckley was/is, but I believe we will see a much improved passer in '17. Comparing the sophomore Johnston to the senior Beckley is a bit unfair to Johnston (and that's not a knock AT ALL on Beckley, who was as solid a field general as it gets at this level the past couple of seasons). We'll have to see how Johnston develops in '17 and then we can begin to make a reasonable comparison between the two of them, IMHO.

This much is certain - the last weekend in August can't get here fast enough!

You make some good points as well. I only saw Blacksburg once in person last year; the rest I know just from seeing highlights. So, I don't have a wealth of first-hand knowledge from which to draw. But based on that, my impression of Blacksburg's skill guys is:
~Beck: a good-sized back with top-shelf speed; doesn't have the elusiveness/shiftiness to make elite 4A defenders miss.
~Terry: good speed, great quickness and elusiveness; might be lacking on the power and size end of the scale.
~Johnston: a good pocket passer; needs to develop mobility; effective at the top level of 3A, but I wonder how well he can perform against top 4A defenses. Didn't realize he was only a sophomore last year, so that's obviously in his favor.

But then after those three guys - what? I guess that was my main point. I think of Blacksburg as one really good runner, one really good receiver, a pretty good qb, and not much else, skill-wise. Now, I could be wrong on that. Are there young, highly-touted skill position players on the way from last year's JV? I honestly don't know, as I don't have that knowledge of the Bruins' program. I do know it takes a lot to be considered the most skill-laden team in 4A, let alone win the whole darn thing. Last year, Salem had five good running backs (four, after Ramsey's departure), and four good receivers, including the tight end. And with all of that talent, if the Spartans hadn't had a great passing quarterback who also ran well enough to pull two or three Houdini acts, Dinwiddie would have prevailed in the state championship.

I stated in my previous post that I already view Terry and Beck as very good players, and I can see them receiving offers from power conference schools. I think they both still have some developing to do and things to work on, but then, they both still have a year to go (I'm thinking both are current juniors/rising seniors?).

BTW, Mark - if you are who I think you are, I've spoken to you in person before. I was the chatty Salem fan, accompanied by his lovely wife, sitting at the table next to yours at breakfast in the hotel on the morning of the state championships.

Last edited:
Unless some injuries and other things get straightened out, look for the Spartans to face some real challenges from many teams on its schedule.

Salem has had several very good players the last couple years, but to say that there is a huge jump in talent on a single team at the skill positions from 3A to 4A is being a bit blind to the competition. The difference in levels is how long the run of deep talent lasts.

Magna Vista and Brookville have had runs of 2-3 consecutive classes with very good talent, they just have some more dips in there than a Salem that might have a 5-6 class run. A 3 class run is your soph through senior classes, which is your whole Varsity plus some JV.

Meaning those really talented small schools in their best years are a lot closer to the Salem's and Lake Taylor's than you believe. Why do you think private schools in public leagues have to use a multiplier? More talent condensed into smaller numbers equals the playing field.

Blacksburg's coach was still being Mr try cool stuff when they played Salem, instead of properly utilizing the talent on the team. Once he adjusted his plan of action, they were almost like a completely different team. If Salem and Blacksburg met in game 10 the game would have been close.

Blacksburg beat Staunton River because they put their players in the right places to matchup and stop that Single Wing offense. Staunton river housed several teams with 'more skill position talent' , but those teams couldn't figure a way to slow them down. Golden Eagles could have hung 50 even on mighty Salem if they had a game scheduled, if Salem didn't find the right scheme to slow them down. But having seen Salem against offenses like Lake Taylor and JF the past couple years, I would guess there coaches likely would have put guys in the right spot.

The difference between 2 levels starts to show some gaps, but even then with the top teams it depends on coaching style meshing well with the talent on the team, then in game matchups and game plan. Talent is not the only reason why Salem has been consistently so good, they have it, but it is style and execution that has sustained their success.

Altavista during Thornhill's jr/sr year had enough talent, playmakers at the HS level, at the skill positions and good enough O and D lines and backers to win 1 to 3a and take a run at 4a. Heck Appomattox would have went toe to toe with Salem, possibly beating them, the last 2 years. Just like Salem had enough to give fits to Highland Springs and Westfield if the matchups and schemes went right.

Bottom line, don't doubt Blacksburg because of big, scary 4A. If anything, they may face a talent drop on their lines and who knows if the coach sticks to what works. Skill position talent won't be an issue. If one guy is too fast to get tackled, that's all you need.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Salem has had several very good players the last couple years, but to say that there is a huge jump in talent on a single team at the skill positions from 3A to 4A is being a bit blind to the competition. The difference in levels is how long the run of deep talent lasts.

Magna Vista and Brookville have had runs of 2-3 consecutive classes with very good talent, they just have some more dips in there than a Salem that might have a 5-6 class run. A 3 class run is your soph through senior classes, which is your whole Varsity plus some JV.

Meaning those really talented small schools in their best years are a lot closer to the Salem's and Lake Taylor's than you believe. Why do you think private schools in public leagues have to use a multiplier? More talent condensed into smaller numbers equals the playing field.

Blacksburg's coach was still being Mr try cool stuff when they played Salem, instead of properly utilizing the talent on the team. Once he adjusted his plan of action, they were almost like a completely different team. If Salem and Blacksburg met in game 10 the game would have been close.

Blacksburg beat Staunton River because they put their players in the right places to matchup and stop that Single Wing offense. Staunton river housed several teams with 'more skill position talent' , but those teams couldn't figure a way to slow them down. Golden Eagles could have hung 50 even on mighty Salem if they had a game scheduled, if Salem didn't find the right scheme to slow them down. But having seen Salem against offenses like Lake Taylor and JF the past couple years, I would guess there coaches likely would have put guys in the right spot.

The difference between 2 levels starts to show some gaps, but even then with the top teams it depends on coaching style meshing well with the talent on the team, then in game matchups and game plan. Talent is not the only reason why Salem has been consistently so good, they have it, but it is style and execution that has sustained their success.

Altavista during Thornhill's jr/sr year had enough talent, playmakers at the HS level, at the skill positions and good enough O and D lines and backers to win 1 to 3a and take a run at 4a. Heck Appomattox would have went toe to toe with Salem, possibly beating them, the last 2 years. Just like Salem had enough to give fits to Highland Springs and Westfield if the matchups and schemes went right.

Bottom line, don't doubt Blacksburg because of big, scary 4A. If anything, they may face a talent drop on their lines and who knows if the coach sticks to what works. Skill position talent won't be an issue. If one guy is too fast to get tackled, that's all you need.
I was with you until you made the Altavista and Appomattox statements lol.. Salem is the 2x defending state champ in 4a but saying they could run with Highland Springs is a stretch IMO but I can agree with the rest. It's very very hard to try to cross examine how a team in a lower division would do at the higher level. Probably only a handful of teams in the past 25-30 years that you could make that statement about.

We try to evaluate teams and speculate what they could do if they were playing at a higher level. We all do it and I guess it's fun to speculate. I have no idea how Blacksburg will do this year, their schedule is tougher, but with what they return I expect them to contend right away. Just watching some Youtube footage from last year here are the guys I was impressed with that return:

#5 Driscoll, Sr DE/TE 6'5" 205
#6 Terry, Jr SB/DB 5'9" 160
#7 Vangilder Sr S/WR 6'1" 175 lead team in tackles.
#8 Wise Sr S/WR/K/P 6' 155
#10 Johnston Jr QB 6'4" 193
#11 Babcock Jr WR/OLB 6'1" 175
#32 Beck Sr RB 6'1" 186
#35 Orndorff Sr MLB 6' 215
#65 Mullins Sr DT 6'3 220
#70 Elliott Sr C 6' 250
#77 Nickel Sr T 6'5" 277
#88 Coffey Jr WR 6' 175

I'm sure I've missed some guys. (There are some discrepancies on the Maxpreps roster- guys with the wrong number, multiple guys with the same number, Yr/Ht/Wt not listed) I think I counted 14 returning starters. They were a much improved team at the end of the year as compared to the beginning. I think they are primed for a good run. They have confidence from the championship last year and they return a lot of good players. I don't think playing in 4A will hinder them much. I don't know if they'll win the title, but I wouldn't count them out.

Highland Springs has its pick of the liter in Eastern Henrico when it comes to transfers and they already have an amazing pipeline of athletes in there zoning. Highland springs would have embarrassed most teams in the 4A playoffs. You are talking about a team with unbelievable size and speed.

There is a reason they have the classification system. Its nothing to be ashamed of. A school with 2x as many students should normally be a better ball club all else being equal. Yes the Hickory Huskers won the state title in Indiana HS ball but it is an anomaly.

I think we all agree there is sometimes a team that is just "like that" in a lower classification. Ex... maybe Appomatix in 2A could compete in 4A for a title. But on the regular, there is a big difference. I think we can all agree it is going to be harder for BB in 4A this year.

I realize a lot of this is in the spirit of debate... but we are entering the sky is blue territory. Some of this is obvious.

It is not a knock on Blacksburg. It will be harder to win a state championship this year in 4A. It sounds like we all agree that BB will be a major player in the west. They are going to help shape what sounds like it could be a slightly down west compared to last year.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
I was with you until you made the Altavista and Appomattox statements lol.. Salem is the 2x defending state champ in 4a but saying they could run with Highland Springs is a stretch IMO but I can agree with the rest. It's very very hard to try to cross examine how a team in a lower division would do at the higher level. Probably only a handful of teams in the past 25-30 years that you could make that statement about.

In the last Altavista title year, the senior class alone had an FBS DB, FCS RB, 3 D2 LBs (Johnson twins went on to play basketball), and a D2 WR/DB. Plus some D3 guys for depth. Year before they had Navy Jones too.

Appomattox in the last 2 years has had a FBS longsnapper, 7 D2 signees (3 DB, OL, P/K, TE, RB), and about 10 D3. Plus 2 FBS DBs coming back and probably another half dozen D2 and D3 athletes. Led with Longsnapper because special teams matter in tight games. Probably 20 plus college players on that 2015 team, about one for every position.

Magna Vista a couple years ago had similar numbers of D1/D2/D3 college guys. But I don't follow their news outlets as closely to go back and find exact numbers.

Salem has had a few more D1 guys, mostly FCS, but the depth of any one team hasn't been much different. And they haven't had a high school player the level of Thornhill.

Any Salem fan that knows, how many D1, D2, D3 players from the 2015 title? Will take some guesses for the 2018 seniors.

No doubt about Highland Springs being loaded, I saw their OL out in wild with no pads on, I thought WWE was in town.

They were not invincible though, Meadowbrook pulled an upset. Might have been a case of overlooking, injuries, suspensions, whatever; they got beat.

Like I said, even though these high caliber teams at each division will have some talent differences, the top teams usually aren't as far apart as most fans think.

A little off day, a couple key matchups going in favor of one team, having the best HS player (not the same as best college prospect), and scheme advantage are things that all influence outcome. Those things aren't always guaranteed to go to the bigger school.

Just because a team has a bunch of higher rated prospects, doesn't mean they are guaranteed to always win. Example is Kentucky basketball, less chemistry and guys that aren't as impactful as players as they are measured athletes has resulted in one title for Coach Cal as opposed to the 4 or 5 which the talent ratings would dictate. Just gives them better odds, and odds don't play games.

That's correct. Salem dropped down from old AAA to AA in the fall of '88. I think they went from Division 6 to Division 4, bypassing 5 altogether. Enrollment has held steady at the Division 4/4A/Class 4 level ever since.
Was there even a Division 4, 5 and 6 back then? I thought it was just A, AA, and AAA with only three state championship teams.

Was there even a Division 4, 5 and 6 back then? I thought it was just A, AA, and AAA with only three state championship teams.

The divisions were implemented in '86. The set-up was a little different, and I think what came to be called Division 6, the largest schools, was initially called Division 1. Again, IIRC, the format that we knew until the big shift in 2013 was first used in '87.

Last edited:

Thanks for your input. Certainly some food for thought there, even though most of what you offer is subjective and opinion-based. First off, let me point out that I'm not talking about some generic, presupposed jump in talent level from all 3A teams to all 4A teams, as you seem to think I am. In answer to JOrndorff's statement earlier in this thread, I am specifically saying that the skill personnel on Blacksburg's 2016 squad were not close to comparable to the best teams in 4A over the last few years. Mostly due to Blacksburg's lack of depth in high-level skill personnel, not so much a lack of high-level ability in specific players, though I do consider that to be a smaller part of it. And I've also stated that, unless the Bruins can expect an influx of talented skill position players this fall, Blacksburg isn't likely to bridge that gap - that is, the gap between themselves and the very best Class 4 teams - at the skill positions in 2017.

And again, let me stress that the issue raised by JOrndorff's claim isn't how good Blacksburg will be. If a team has some talent and depth at all the other positions, and plays together, it can overcome a deficit at the skill positions. Which goes along with what you said about style and execution. Salem has been doing that for decades, which seems to at least partially be one of your points. The issue is whether or not Blacksburg will have as much or more talent at the skill positions as "anyone in 4A," and as of right now, I'm skeptical that they will. They'll have the opportunity to prove me wrong.

Have you seen me doubt Blacksburg? I've said more than once this spring, including right here in this thread, that I expect them to be among the top two or three teams in Region D, and among the top ten in Class 4. I've even stated that they probably have a decent chance of reaching the Class 4 title game. I consider that pretty supportive. I hope not being ready to hand them the state title at this point in time doesn't come off as doubtful.

As for the rest of what you've said - again, it mostly seems like your opinion. Which is fine; that's why we're all here. We all have our opinions. For instance, I don't think there's any case that can be made for the 3A state champ being anywhere close to as good as the 4A state champ, in any of the past four seasons. For those teams, yes, that gap is every bit as big as John Q. Average Fan (like myself, apparently) thinks it is. Use any metric you want: VHSL-Reference ratings, Gilliam Ratings, Maxpreps ratings, comparative scores, or best of all, the good ol' eyeball test from just going to games. All of it will tell you that the teams from Dinwiddie, Lake Taylor, and Salem were far superior to Northside, Magna Vista, and Blacksburg. There just isn't any factual basis, that I see, for saying those 3A teams were almost as good, in those particular years.

Did you actually attend last year's Blacksburg-Salem game, played in a relentless downpour? I did, every last miserable second. I don't believe anyone who saw that game would think Blacksburg would have played Salem close last year, in game ten or any other time. Closer than 57-21, I'll agree, but not close, if Salem had been pushed. In those miserable conditions, Salem scored a touchdown on each of their first eight possessions. They didn't come close to not scoring. Salem scored 57, taking their foot off the gas in the third quarter. Even if Blacksburg had not onside kicked, and played all their best players both ways, how would they ever have stopped Salem? Dinwiddie, whom many thought had the best defense in 4A, never forced the Spartans to punt. The only two times Salem didn't score in that title game were due to a fumble inside the ten, and a missed field goal. So, due to what my eyes told me when the Bruins and Spartans played, and comparative scores against common opponents, I'm afraid I see no basis for claiming a rematch later in the year would have been a close game.

As for Staunton River possibly hanging 50 on Salem, I suspect you're just trying to have a little fun. Yes, I agree - if Salem weren't a good team, SR might have scored fifty on them. As they say - if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon. But since Salem has good coaches and pretty good players that usually execute kinda decently, I'm gonna agree with you that the Spartans probably would have managed to put the right guys in the right spots. Based on that, and the fact that the Golden Eagles hung no more than twenty on Blacksburg, and all of a whopping six points on William Byrd.

All the other claims you make about so-and-so beating so-and-so seem like typical internet fodder, of the kind we've been hearing - well, ever since the VHSL has had playoffs. Especially in the Gretna years of winning 3A, when it was widely proclaimed (mostly by Gretna fans) that those teams could "beat anybody." Not that those people, or you, are necessarily wrong. There just usually is very little in the way of factual evidence to back those claims up. A lot of it boils down to whether or not one thinks the teams in higher classifications are really that much better. It seems in general that those who don't think that are fans of schools in the smaller divisions. As a Salem fan, I've never deluded myself into thinking that the Spartan state championship teams are automatically "just as good" as the top teams in 5A or 6A, especially the latter. Salem might have been able to pull an upset over Highland Springs or Westfield the last two years, if everything lined up, but it would have been just that - an upset, and a rather large one. Just as Appomattox beating Salem would have been an upset (excepting the first week of last season, when any good team probably would have beaten Salem). I know Appo the past two years has had exceptional 2A teams, and I have much respect for their accomplishments. I'm not arrogant enough to say that they couldn't possibly have beaten those Salem teams. It is possible. Just not very probable. These past two Spartan teams have been damn good, winning championships two classifications above what Appomattox is accustomed to. Excuse the rare (for me) unbridled partisanship, but I think most neutral observers would agree. And the 2014 Spartans were almost up there, prior to Coleman Fox's injury.

Finally, the Altavista thing. Again, exceptional teams for their classification. Which is the lowest in the system. Once again, that doesn't mean that they couldn't have knocked off the 2A or 3A champs those years. It's possible, maybe quite possible, given Thornhill, etc. But when it comes to the Colonels making a run at 4A in 2014 - we have to ask ourselves how West Point, Lunenburg, Parry McCluer and Honaker stack up against, say, Lakeland, Dinwiddie, Kings Fork, and Monacan. Which is the kind of path to the final Altavista might have had. Also allow me to point out that the Colonels didn't completely annihilate PM (35-10) or Honaker (31-7), and they only slipped by Essex 22-20 in the final. If a team were so dominant as to be able to challenge for a state championship three levels up, I would expect to see much more lopsided scores than that against 1A competition. Further, to say that a 1A team could beat one, or even two 4A teams is one thing. To say that they could beat five playoff-caliber 4A teams in a row is quite another claim entirely. Plus, the Colonels would have run into Lake Taylor at some point. And though I usually try to steer clear of unequivocal statements, I'm gonna lay one on you now. With both teams at full strength, there is no way on Earth, in Heaven or in Hell that 1A Altavista would have beaten Lake Taylor in 2014. LT's talent across the board was off the charts. Set aside the fact that VHSL-Reference rates that Titans squad at 104, while that year's Altavista team is rated 73. In nearly thirty years of viewing Division 4/4A state championship games, 2014 Lake Taylor is the best team I've seen at that level, period. Even better than the 1998 Spartans, much as it pains me to say that.

To wrap up, I primarily wanted to clarify the points about Blacksburg, since I seemingly left room for misinterpretation. As for all the opinions about who could have beaten whom, we could bat that stuff back and forth until doomsday. Or until Mike Salem gets rid of all his Salem gear - whichever comes first.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT