ADVERTISEMENT

My Take This Week...

Cats and Dogs

VaPreps Varsity
Sep 20, 2004
Biggest upset: C'Ville over Woodgrove 34-28.

Best Games of Week: Both are rematches from earlier in the season AND both teams who lost game 1 will get redemption and win when it matters in close games LT and Chancellor.

Track Meet of the Week: Dominion and Amherst with Amherst winning 48-42.

Largest Margin of Victory: Salem over Millbrook 49-6.

no salem is that good
Can't deny that Salem is good. IMO they haven't been challenged since week 2. I'm sure I'll be bombarded with PH and Pulaski were good opponents, but both teams showed their true colors last week. Throw in the fact that Salem lost arguably one of the best players in 4a. I would say that Millbrook would have to be pretty bad to go in and lose by 40+ and only score 6 points?

Salem will be challenged by Millbrook. You just don't lose a d1 prospect and show no effect. If Salem somehow blows Millbrook out then I'll eat my words-----and everyone in the West best watch out

Reactions: WEfootball
If Salem blows out Millbrook then I'll agree, you don't want any parts of Salem if you're in 4a West. I was thinking probably a 2 score win for Salem but anything 4-5 scores then I'd think that Salem would come out of the West again even without their star player.

I agree with those saying that Salem will have their hands full with Millbrook. If the Spartans win by even two scores, I'll be impressed.

William Byrd is the wild card to me. They've had a great regular season, but they've only won 2 playoff games since 1999. I could see them either winning 4A West or bowing out this Friday to Heritage, which is coming off a hard fought playoff victory.

I agree. Byrd is the wild card. They are good up front and have a great back. But they are not a balanced football team. Defensive front very good. byrd wins close game. Salem 42. Millbrook 28. Salem has excellent passing game and that makes the difference. But would not be shocked if it was a squeaker or if Salem lost a close one. Millbrook needs to play well early. Salem had Amherst on the ropes early but did not put them away (started to make mistakes) Amherst got back in game and then started to truly believe they were going to win. Millbrook will need to stay close and start to believe

I think Woodgrove and Salem are the same type caliber team. Woodgrove beat Millbrook 50-15. Can't imagine Salem won't do the same.

Heritage can handle speed, they proved that last Friday. Heritage's defense will give up yards but they have an offense to counter. Their skill guys are darn impressive. Won't be a cakewalk for Byrd.

Heritage can handle speed, they proved that last Friday. Heritage's defense will give up yards but they have an offense to counter. Their skill guys are darn impressive. Won't be a cakewalk for Byrd.
What is the QB situation at Heritage? Didn't he go down earlier this season.

I rarely prognosticate concerning margins in Salem games, for fear of jinxing the hometown boys. However, I don't see Millbrook - Salem ending up close. There is never a shortage of critics where Salem's schedule is concerned. Well turnabout is fair play, so let's look at Millbrook's. Even including Woodgrove, the Pioneers played one of the six weakest schedules in 4A. Check the numbers on VHSL-Reference if you think this is just me being totally subjective. Take out Woodgrove - to whom Millbrook lost by five touchdowns - and they probably had one of the three worst schedules in all of 4A. Rock Ridge, Skyline, James Wood and Handley, consecutively? That's not too much better than playing Carroll County four times in a row.

Millbrook is a good team, and it won't be easy. Salem will have to show up and play well. The absence of Salem's departed player - after his skills have been weighed against the intangibles involved - will not negatively impact the team as much as people might think. The only thing that could keep this close would be if the Spartans have a rash of turnovers, which hasn't been an issue this season. If that happens, the Pioneers could spring the upset. But make no mistake - it would be a big upset out of the blue. I don't see anything on Millbrook's resume this year or in their recent history that indicates they will be up to meeting this challenge for 48 minutes. In the end, I think Salem will prevail by a minimum of twenty-eight. And if they don't, it will obviously be because I just jinxed them.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Running back by committee. Three kids sharing carries, the most explosive is 5 5 160 pound very very quick. The other two are about 180. All good high school backs

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Heritage has three receivers with over 400 yards receiving on the year. If I am a William Byrd supporter, I'm a bit concerned. I am looking forward to the chess match between Heritage OC-Byrd DC tonight. I echo numb3rs and SouthbottomU's sentiments; WB is the ultimate wild card, as I believe this is arguably Jeff Highfill's best team in his illustrious 36 year career. Defensively, they have two tremendous edge setters who are sound against the run and can affect the passer in a multitude of ways. This may be the best group of LB's at WB in the last decade. They are rangy, sound and instinctive. My concern involves the WB secondary vs. the bevvy of play makers Heritage has on the perimeter. In short, I think Heritage's biggest strength will enjoy success against William Byrd's biggest deficiency. Offensively, everyone knows about Basham. He can change the scoreboard with every touch. He has the lateral agility and suddenness that will remind folks around the Roanoke Valley of William Fleming's Dwayne Priest. However, this is a complete unit. Their OL is tremendous and consistently creates gaping seams for #4. Their QB has showed the ability to generate chunk plays with his legs and his arm when they need it most. Should be an entertaining night in Vinton.

Heritage has three receivers with over 400 yards receiving on the year. If I am a William Byrd supporter, I'm a bit concerned. I am looking forward to the chess match between Heritage OC-Byrd DC tonight. I echo numb3rs and SouthbottomU's sentiments; WB is the ultimate wild card, as I believe this is arguably Jeff Highfill's best team in his illustrious 36 year career. Defensively, they have two tremendous edge setters who are sound against the run and can affect the passer in a multitude of ways. This may be the best group of LB's at WB in the last decade. They are rangy, sound and instinctive. My concern involves the WB secondary vs. the bevvy of play makers Heritage has on the perimeter. In short, I think Heritage's biggest strength will enjoy success against William Byrd's biggest deficiency. Offensively, everyone knows about Basham. He can change the scoreboard with every touch. He has the lateral agility and suddenness that will remind folks around the Roanoke Valley of William Fleming's Dwayne Priest. However, this is a complete unit. Their OL is tremendous and consistently creates gaping seams for #4. Their QB has showed the ability to generate chunk plays with his legs and his arm when they need it most. Should be an entertaining night in Vinton.

Woah! A Willaim Byrd fan! A rare sighting on these boards!

Basham won't have any problem rushing. Forest from GW Danville had 275 last week (had more but some was called back for holding). I look for Basham to have somewhere near 350 yards rushing. I agree tho, I'd worry about Heritage's skill guys. They have a pretty efficient offense. They'll try to outscore Byrd. Probably won't be a Western/Staunton River score but I look for a shootout.

Reactions: WEfootball
Heritage has pride but Terriers have too much grit. They completely shut down Magna Vista who beat G.W. by a similar score as Heritage. Byrd by at least two touchdowns.

Salem will win a close one against a hard charging Millbrook who may feel like Pioneers traveling up and down interstate 81.

Woodgrove Wolverines by at least two touchdowns . Charlottesville may be able to score but they give up a lot . Against Woodgrove they will give up more and score a little less .

Amherst has to travel to northern VA. I think the lancers will pull it out but this game I am ambivalent about because not sure who Amherst is at this point.

Last edited:
With the weather being near perfect for almost anytime of year, I would say the edge to all the home teams especially with several road teams travelling more than two hours or so. That may seem small but I think it can be a factor for young teams with little road travel and mental grit. All games will be close early but I can see home field and emotion making a difference. Will the bye hurt the home teams or help? Three phases of any game must be complete no matter your name.

Byrd by 20. They are inspired.
Salem by 20+. Too much diversity and fundamentally sound. Defending champs with pedigree.
Woodgrove by 9-10, Charlottesville playing with momentum and maybe just enough change of pace to make it closer than expected.
Dominion by 7-10. Good year for Amherst but not sure if Turner returns at QB and special teams is an enigma.

With the weather being near perfect for almost anytime of year, I would say the edge to all the home teams especially with several road teams travelling more than two hours or so. That may seem small but I think it can be a factor for young teams with little road travel and mental grit. All games will be close early but I can see home field and emotion making a difference. Will the bye hurt the home teams or help? Three phases of any game must be complete no matter your name.

Byrd by 20. They are inspired.
Salem by 20+. Too much diversity and fundamentally sound. Defending champs with pedigree.
Woodgrove by 9-10, Charlottesville playing with momentum and maybe just enough change of pace to make it closer than expected.
Dominion by 7-10. Good year for Amherst but not sure if Turner returns at QB and special teams is an enigma.
Turner returns but maybe not entire game. Yes special teams and penalties could hurt them. I believe in them and think they have overcome that

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT