ADVERTISEMENT

New football rules

White hat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 17, 2001
Please note, these changes are made by a committee, not by football officials.

I don't agree with much of what's here, but I wasn't asked and I can't do anything about it. I remember being at a clinic with about 800 officials ranging from high school to ACC guys. The officiating coordinator for Conference USA, said the changes coming are non-negotiable. I realize that because as more and more people sue football organizations many years after they leave the field, liability insurance costs will get so high no school can afford it. These rule changes are an effort to keep that from happening.

It looks like that in order to save football, we're going to kill it.

http://www.nfhs.org/articles/new-bl...ss-risk-minimization-in-high-school-football/

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

I don't agree with much of what's here, but I wasn't asked and I can't do anything about it. I remember being at a clinic with about 800 officials ranging from high school to ACC guys. The officiating coordinator for Conference USA, said the changes coming are non-negotiable. I realize that because as more and more people sue football organizations many years after they leave the field, liability insurance costs will get so high no school can afford it. These rule changes are an effort to keep that from happening.

http://www.nfhs.org/articles/new-bl...ss-risk-minimization-in-high-school-football/
How do you feel about eliminating face guarding as PI? In my opinion that's probably the one positive rule change of all of these.

I'm fine with it. I don't see it making much difference. I cannot remember if it's ever been called in a game I worked. If so, it certainly hasn't happened enough that this change will be noticed.

The change I really do like is clarifying that the ridiculous tactic of trying to smack the ball out of the napper's hand is illegal. It was my assertion that no nose guard is quick enough to actually hit the ball without starting before the snap starter (therefore it's encroachment).

Just wanting some clarification on the pop up onside kick...

I know some coaches have used this tactic where they have the kicker kick the top of the ball so it hits the ground and then immediately goes about 15 feet or so in the air. Sounds like that is what is supposed to be eliminated.

But just to make sure I am interpreting the rule correctly, can one still do an onside kick where the kicker kicks the tip of the ball and it rolls on the ground for the ten yards or is this eliminated as part of the pop up onside kick rule? An example of this is when the kicker barely kicks the ball and it rolls or bounces, then he runs and recovers it after 10 yards.

Just wanting some clarification on the pop up onside kick...

I know some coaches have used this tactic where they have the kicker kick the top of the ball so it hits the ground and then immediately goes about 15 feet or so in the air. Sounds like that is what is supposed to be eliminated.

But just to make sure I am interpreting the rule correctly, can one still do an onside kick where the kicker kicks the tip of the ball and it rolls on the ground for the ten yards or is this eliminated as part of the pop up onside kick rule? An example of this is when the kicker barely kicks the ball and it rolls or bounces, then he runs and recovers it after 10 yards.

Those low onside kicks are still legal. The ones that are not legal are the ones that pop up after they hit the ground. The reason for this is that a receiver is only protected on a ball in flight. Once it boiunces off the ground, it's grounded so the receiver cannot signal a fair catch or be afforded any protection from being hit when his attention is on the ball in flight, not the member of the kicking team who is coming hard to prevent him from recovering the ball.

That said, I think it solves a problem that didn't really exist. I had this play once last year. It was the first time in forever. There were no injuries or cheap hits. It was actually an exciting play.

Those low onside kicks are still legal. The ones that are not legal are the ones that pop up after they hit the ground. The reason for this is that a receiver is only protected on a ball in flight. Once it boiunces off the ground, it's grounded so the receiver cannot signal a fair catch or be afforded any protection from being hit when his attention is on the ball in flight, not the member of the kicking team who is coming hard to prevent him from recovering the ball.

That said, I think it solves a problem that didn't really exist. I had this play once last year. It was the first time in forever. There were no injuries or cheap hits. It was actually an exciting play.
Thanks White hat, just wanted to make sure... and I agree with your second part.

I feel football will be a much, much different game as time goes on

Who will be in the best position to observe the kick? The White Hat?

I don't know the official terminology, but block on a defenseless player, coupled with an open field block when the blocker is trying to stop a would be tackler, really requires focus to make the correct call. For instance, during an interception.

Who will be in the best position to observe the kick? The White Hat?

I don't know the official terminology, but block on a defenseless player, coupled with an open field block when the blocker is trying to stop a would be tackler, really requires focus to make the correct call. For instance, during an interception.

There's different positioning for 5 6 and 7 man mechanics, but the wing official(s) on the K restraining line or the official behind the kicker should be the ones with that call. The white hat is always downfield behind the kick returners, so the call shouldn't come from them.

Thanks, I should have remembered that the White Hat is downfield.

What is the VHSL minimum number of officials for a football game? What happens if, due to injury or etc., after the game is underway, the number of Officials falls below this minimum?

Last edited:

My guess is it has resulted in some injuries or cheap hits somewhere in the 48 NFHS states. That's what usually happens with rule changes like this.

The rule will actually make it easier to call blindside blocks. Colorado and Oregon has experimented with this rule over the past three years.Using open hands versus blowing a kid up becomes a very easy distinction.

The definitions of defenseless players are not new. They've been listed in the Case Book for the past few years. They've now added them to the Rule Book to make the rulings more consistent, which they should have done previously.

Hey guys, anything new to report about rules changes or the emphasis this season?

Hey guys, anything new to report about rules changes or the emphasis this season?

NFHS puts out points of emphasis each year. The 2017 version is:

1. Responsibility on Players to Avoid Illegal Contact
2. Illegal Helmet Contact
3. Sideline Management and Control, Professional Communication Between Coaches and Game Officials
4. Proper Enforcement of Penalties for Violations of the Equipment Rules

Heaviest emphasis will most likely be on illegal contact (helmet or otherwise) as it has been in previous years, with the addition of the blindside blocks (unless initiated with open hands) now being illegal.

NFHS puts out points of emphasis each year. The 2017 version is:

1. Responsibility on Players to Avoid Illegal Contact
2. Illegal Helmet Contact
3. Sideline Management and Control, Professional Communication Between Coaches and Game Officials
4. Proper Enforcement of Penalties for Violations of the Equipment Rules

Heaviest emphasis will most likely be on illegal contact (helmet or otherwise) as it has been in previous years, with the addition of the blindside blocks (unless initiated with open hands) now being illegal.
What guidance or examples were provided concerning "Professional Communications...?

What guidance or examples were provided concerning "Professional Communications...?
The excerpt pertaining to professional communications is below, as well as the link to the full article.

"Game officials must consistently enforce the rules pertaining to the coaches’ area and restricted area and other sideline violations that occur during the game. Effective enforcement begins with respectfully communicating expectations to coaches and game administration prior to the start of the game. Violations of the restricted area should immediately result in the beginning of the progression of the penalties prescribed in Rule 9-8. Violations of the unsportsmanlike conduct rules should immediately result in a 15-yard penalty and a disqualification of the offender if flagrant, or if it is the offender’s second such foul. Examples of such conduct include the actions listed in Rule 9-8-1. A coach or a non-player on the field of play is enforced as an unsportsmanlike conduct foul rather than a violation of the restricted area.

Coaches, game administration and game officials are reminded that the primary purpose of high school activities is to teach student-athletes how to become responsible adults. All adults involved in a contest should recognize they are teacher-coaches and teacher-officials, and that their use of professional and courteous communication sets a positive example for the student-athletes to follow, and is crucial in creating an optimal and meaningful learning environment. Game officials and coaches should always work together in a professional manner to ensure all rules are communicated, understood and enforced."

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/football-points-of-emphasis-2017/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT