Now that LOUISA is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamspear

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2009
Arrowhead stadium
Who could possibly be the strongest challenger to LT in the East? Really thought I had been convinced that Louisa was gonna put it on the east teams in the playoffs, but things happen. oh well. who will step up and challenge the beasts of the East. Dinwiddie, Courtland, Hanover?

Reactions: GeneralProsecuter
None of the above is answer.....unless losing by 30 is a strong challenge.

Reactions: gwb16
I would say that anything can happen on a Friday night and that courtland could knock them off if they don't turn the ball over. I use could cautiously and doubt anyone will knock LT off but its the playoffs and one bad game and that's a wrap.

Who could possibly be the strongest challenger to LT in the East? Really thought I had been convinced that Louisa was gonna put it on the east teams in the playoffs, but things happen. oh well. who will step up and challenge the beasts of the East. Dinwiddie, Courtland, Hanover?
You were convinced on Louisa? LMAO.

GL Friday. The road is no longer easy. Every game will be hard. GL to the Warriors.

If (and I mean IF) you can attack them downhill, FAST and catch them in their aggressive attacking style you might have a chance (Quick traps etc) They have a fast aggressive defense that is active and athletic. Anyone can be beaten on any given day, but you better be on your game that day and get a few breaks.

I know, Captain Obvious here.....!:)

Reactions: VolNation85
With the stifling defense LT plays it will be difficult for anyone to knock them off. Courtland seems to play pretty good defense as well, if they can play mistake free ball they might have the best chance. I think the winner between Dinwiddie and Hanover could give it a run. Lafayette is another team that could step up. They were the 3A runner-ups last year. 4A is a big step up and it will be a good challenge for Lafayette, but you can't overlook them.

I think the West is probably more up for grabs with a lot of teams with a chance. JF, Champe, Sherando, Woodgrove, GW, Millbrook, Amherst, and Salem are all left, should be a good challenge. Each team has positives and negatives. It's going to come down to matchups and home field could play into the outcome of a couple of games. It's Christmas time for HS football fans! (no pun intended)

I think the West's best matchup this weekend is definitely Woodgrove/Sherando. GW/Champe should be another good one. After dismantling LCA, Millbrook may give JF a good test. Amherst has made some improvements since their first meeting with Salem, and I look forward to seeing them Friday night (and hopefully Wikki too)

Mike I wouldn't sell Champe out on a possible win at home, and does anybody really know how good GW is with that schedule? That might even be a better game.

Reactions: schoolboard
Mike I wouldn't sell Champe out on a possible win at home, and does anybody really know how good GW is with that schedule? That might even be a better game.
Truthfully and selfishly I hope GW knocks off Champe Friday, so Salem doesn't have to travel assuming Salem beats Amherst. I have no clue what to expect neither GW, Champe, or Salem for that matter has had a difficult schedule. Champe beat Woodgrove in a good game, GW beat Magna Vista, & Salem beat Northside. Otherwise the schedules were not very challenging. It's difficult to draw conclusions from the 3 schedules. It will be a good game Friday. GW will be wore out after that 5 hour drive or so?

With the stifling defense LT plays it will be difficult for anyone to knock them off. Courtland seems to play pretty good defense as well, if they can play mistake free ball they might have the best chance. I think the winner between Dinwiddie and Hanover could give it a run. Lafayette is another team that could step up. They were the 3A runner-ups last year. 4A is a big step up and it will be a good challenge for Lafayette, but you can't overlook them.

I think the West is probably more up for grabs with a lot of teams with a chance. JF, Champe, Sherando, Woodgrove, GW, Millbrook, Amherst, and Salem are all left, should be a good challenge. Each team has positives and negatives. It's going to come down to matchups and home field could play into the outcome of a couple of games. It's Christmas time for HS football fans! (no pun intended)

I think the West's best matchup this weekend is definitely Woodgrove/Sherando. GW/Champe should be another good one. After dismantling LCA, Millbrook may give JF a good test. Amherst has made some improvements since their first meeting with Salem, and I look forward to seeing them Friday night (and hopefully Wikki too)
Millbrook? I'm not ready to drink that Kool Aid yet. I still say winner of Sherando/Woodgrove wins the West.

If (and I mean IF) you can attack them downhill, FAST and catch them in their aggressive attacking style you might have a chance (Quick traps etc) They have a fast aggressive defense that is active and athletic. Anyone can be beaten on any given day, but you better be on your game that day and get a few breaks.

I know, Captain Obvious here.....!:)
Not sure you have a clue how to beat LT Captain Obvious. Your boys found out Friday just how hard the east can be. Has only happened once since 2012. Yes, your identity is obvious. Go Lions.

Reactions: hamspear
Lake Taylor is hands down the best team in 4A, but they're not as dominant as 2013 Dinwiddie or 2014 Lake Taylor, at least compared to the competition. Obviously Lake Taylor is the team to beat, but they can be beaten in my opinion. In fact, I think the 4A West winner will have best chance to do just that when compared to their eastern counterparts. I'd take Salem over Hanover, Courtland, and Lafayette for example.

I'm sure King's Fork hasn't forgotten about their big upset over the then 4A Phoebus Phantoms in 2013 either, though I wouldn't hold my breath.

Lake Taylor is hands down the best team in 4A, but they're not as dominant as 2013 Dinwiddie or 2014 Lake Taylor, at least compared to the competition. Obviously Lake Taylor is the team to beat, but they can be beaten in my opinion. In fact, I think the 4A West winner will have best chance to do just that when compared to their eastern counterparts. I'd take Salem over Hanover, Courtland, and Lafayette for example.

I'm sure King's Fork hasn't forgotten about their big upset over the then 4A Phoebus Phantoms in 2013 either, though I wouldn't hold my breath.
I will not argue your points as Salem, Sherando, JF are solid programs, but have heard this before. How do you conclude that Salem would beat Hanover, Courtland, Kings Fork or Dinwiddie. With the exception of Sherando no West team has ventured past Lynchburg.

All teams can be beaten, look at the patriots a few years back, nobody gave the Giants a chance except for giants fans ,and we know how that turned out, and it's hard to say how good a team is by there schedule , now I don't know about teams from the east, but as far as the west, most of them had a easy schedule, I can't remember the team but didn't somebody have LT on the ropes and they got a pick 6 late in the game to win it, looks to me like it's gonna be a lot of fun watching, but the main thing is let's pray all of the young men walk off the field injury free, win or lose

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Millbrook? I'm not ready to drink that Kool Aid yet. I still say winner of Sherando/Woodgrove wins the West.
I'll be interested to see how Millbrook looks against JF. I'm not expecting them to win, but hopefully a good matchup. I expect Woodgrove/Sherando winner to advance to the West finals because they play good defense. It really depends on who advances from the other side as to who will represent the West. I expect Salem will be in the mix for that other side with Champe or GW.

All teams can be beaten, look at the patriots a few years back, nobody gave the Giants a chance except for giants fans ,and we know how that turned out, and it's hard to say how good a team is by there schedule , now I don't know about teams from the east, but as far as the west, most of them had a easy schedule, I can't remember the team but didn't somebody have LT on the ropes and they got a pick 6 late in the game to win it, looks to me like it's gonna be a lot of fun watching, but the main thing is let's pray all of the young men walk off the field injury free, win or lose
That would of been Monacan last year. Monacan blocked LT winning FG attempt and started celebrating and LT player being aware ball was still live picked it up and ran it in for TD while Monacan players were celebrating. One of craziest endings I've seen (by video) that is.

Reactions: gwb16

I am coming to the game, but don't expect as many fans as in the past from Amherst

So true Hamspear. It could come this year for all we know. Both sides have very competent teams. We shall know very soon and to be honest, I just want to see an old fashioned slugfest in the finals. May the best team win.

For all on the board, I think the title is LT's to lose. They may be the hunted but they have a bravado that is backed by talent and experience. The 4A West is really going to be a survival of the fittest. Salem, JF and John Champe are higher seeds but I expect an upset this weekend of one of those 3. GW is the team with momentum and certainly their schedule may not say they are very good, you play who is in front of you. Millbrook probably played lights out on an overmatched LCA team and long travel could affect them. JF's Christmas is King Midas right now and the offense makes up for porous D. Salem hurt Amherst in game 1 of this year and Amherst is still banged up with #1 running back and #1 QB game time decisions. They may have exceeded expectations with their young team. Finally, Sherando may be the best to represent the West. Very good history as well and they seemed to peak in playoffs. LT will have to sabotage themselves, before anyone as a better than puncher's chance. But this means nothing when the lights come on Friday and the kickoff is in the air. Good luck to all.

Devil's would never give his true thoughts, but would love to know who he perceives would be a major threat to LT'. Kings Fork is surely first and foremost at this point.

If LT wins they will face Hanover or Dinwiddie. Just for history sake Dinwiddie is 6-1 against the old South/East teams in the playoffs the past two years and have split (1-1) with Hanover and LT in the playoffs since 2011. Yes, I would say Hanover or Dinwiddie has a punchers chance.

I will not argue your points as Salem, Sherando, JF are solid programs, but have heard this before. How do you conclude that Salem would beat Hanover, Courtland, Kings Fork or Dinwiddie. With the exception of Sherando no West team has ventured past Lynchburg.

Honestly it's more a gut feeling than anything else, just my opinion based on the opponents that each team has faced. I haven't seen any of those teams play, so everything I say is just based off records and opponents from skimming Maxpreps. From what I've heard, it seems like outside of Lake Taylor that the East is down compared to previous years, whereas the West still has three undefeated teams left in the running and is better overall, in my opinion, than it has been since 2013.

Even if I saw every team play, I doubt I could rank them in any meaningful way. I'm actually quite new to football in general compared to most on this board, so I'm still learning what makes a team likely to make a deep run in the playoffs.

I keep hearing all this and the finals. IMO, way past where everyone needs to be. Look at this week because there are no easy outs left. There are no more upsets. Look to those teams with a first week by to put on a show. At this level, I see it as an incredible benefit. GL to all.

Honestly it's more a gut feeling than anything else, just my opinion based on the opponents that each team has faced. I haven't seen any of those teams play, so everything I say is just based off records and opponents from skimming Maxpreps. From what I've heard, it seems like outside of Lake Taylor that the East is down compared to previous years, whereas the West still has three undefeated teams left in the running and is better overall, in my opinion, than it has been since 2013.

Even if I saw every team play, I doubt I could rank them in any meaningful way. I'm actually quite new to football in general compared to most on this board, so I'm still learning what makes a team likely to make a deep run in the playoffs.

That's an honest and fair answer. Was not trying to be cynical. Thought you may have some insight. I agree the East is a bit more predictable, but you referenced schedules and I am not sure you realize how tough Hanover's and Dinwiddies schedules were. Please note I am only discussing the teams that could meet in the crossover semis (LT, Hanover, and Dinwiddie). No disrespect meant to Lafayette, Courtland, Eastern View........ all good teams.

Yes, Hanover played one poor district foe Armstrong, but with exception of Hopewell (#1 seed 3a) and Dinwiddie. They played a grueling 5a Schedule. 7 of their opponents made the playoffs and 6 are still alive.

8 of Dinwiddies opponents made the playoffs and 4 are still alive (Matoaca lost to LC Bird and Meadowbrook lost to Highland Springs).

Lastly VHSL reference list LT, Hanover and Dinwiddie as having tougher schedules than everyone left in the West. Did not intend to leave Guilliam's Ratings out, but the strength of scheduling only goes through six games.

This does not make the East better, but it does seem to downplay your argument that LT is the only team that could win states from the East.

Last edited:
Yeah from what I saw Friday Hanover with cheetham is a very good team but him being out two weeks that's going to be tough. They are as physical as advertised and as physical as Salem last season up front.

When you figure this out, please, share it with us. The more we learn, the dumber we look!!!!!!!!!

I keep hearing all this and the finals. IMO, way past where everyone needs to be. Look at this week because there are no easy outs left. There are no more upsets. Look to those teams with a first week by to put on a show. At this level, I see it as an incredible benefit. GL to all.
100% truth... While it's fun to look at the "what ifs", you'd be pressed to find anyone associated with these teams to be looking anywhere but in a mirror and on the task at hand. I love a little forum banter, so with that being said... Until a team does something to change this, LT has to be favored, everyone else regardless of schedule and record are, challengers to that title. Don't really know how far fetched or controversial that was, but it's my 2 cents...

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The only chance LT has to lose is against and East team. Those are the only teams that can even come close to matching up with their style of play. Monacan did last year, but just didn't play a complete 48 minutes of football. So if it's going to be done it will happen in the East.

Speaking only for myself only, I would be honored to go watch my team go take a butt whooping from the East champ again. It can only make you better each time it happens. One of these days, it's coming.
QKESIqxh398wo.gif

Understatement of the century!! Of course it's going to happen one day. The East is not going to win from 2013 until the end of time.

And you base this off of what? Score comparisons? Just curious as to what data you are using.

QKESIqxh398wo.gif

Understatement of the century!! Of course it's going to happen one day. The East is not going to win from 2013 until the end of time.
I get the feeling that no matter what anyone says about LT , Devils will try to twist it into a dis to the west , or someway make it out to be disrespecting LT. Have at it bro. Good luck the rest of the season. I know you don't need any luck.

Is there a team that played LT this year , north view , or northeast, i can't remember the teams name, just saw it in the news, they had a late lead and threw a pick 6

Is there a team that played LT this year , north view , or northeast, i can't remember the teams name, just saw it in the news, they had a late lead and threw a pick 6
Norview which is a district rival in 5A whose other loss is to Highland Springs. They have some good players and a D1 QB. We were up 21-7 got greedy before the half and was in a dogfight. Late Pick 6 by Davis won the game. They are in the top 10 in 5A not chopped liver they have 5-6 kids that will be playing at the next level. Their CB Elijah Blue is already committed to ODU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT