ADVERTISEMENT

Official rating points

That's a close call, 2011 team was a young team also, but didn't play as tough a schedule IMO. But they did make the playoffs. I would say yes, a little worse because I value defense more than offense. better offense this year than 2011, but much worse defense, no line play. Physical teams just run all over the Warriors this year. To many puppies at the line of scrimmage. defense can't get off the field. Hopefully they hit that weight room in the off season.

At 0-8 i guess Vhsl feels Bruton is so bad they cannot be listed in 2A east?

4A East

Pod 19/20

1. Dinwiddie 30
2. Eastern View 29.5
3. Chancellor 28.625
4. Louisa 28.5
5. Monacan 27.22
6. Powhatan 26.625
7. King George 24.375
8. Courtland 23.5

Pod 17/18
1. Lafayette 29.5
2. Heritage (NN) 29.375
3. Lake Taylor 28.375
4. Grafton 26
5. Smithfield 24
6. King's Fork 22.25
7. Denbigh 20.44
8. Deep Creek 20.25

If the playoffs started today
1. Dinwiddie vs. 8. Courtland
2. Eastern View vs. 7. King George
3. Chancellor vs. 6. Powhatan
4. Louisa vs. 5. Monacan

1. Lafayette vs. 8. Deep Creek
2. Heritage (NN) vs. 7. Denbigh
3. Lake Taylor vs. 6. King's Fork
4. Grafton vs. 5. Smithfield

Last edited:
4A West

1. Woodgrove 30.75
2. Byrd 28.625
3. Salem 27.875
4. Millbrook 27.25
5. Amherst 26.875
6. Dominion 26.625
7. George Washington 26.25
8. Glass 25.5
9. Heritage-LC 25
10. Loudoun Valley 24.625
11. Pulaski 24
12. Champe 23.75

1. Woodgrove - BYE
2. Byrd - BYE
3. Salem - BYE
4. Millbrook - BYE

5. Amherst vs. 12. Champe
6. Dominion vs. 11. Pulaski
7. George Washington vs. 10. Loudoun Valley
8. Glass vs. 9. Heritage (LC)

Gonna disagree with you here, Hamspear. I still think they'd beat the majority of teams in the top 20, and if they played a cupcake schedule like Millbrook they'd be 7-1 right now and top 5 in the points. Sherando got blown out 38-0 against Martinsburg in 2012, whereas the score this year was 35-28. That same 2012 team lost against Musselman the following week, and lost 29-0 to Loudoun County a couple weeks later.

2016 Warriors > 2011 and 2012 Warriors.

I totally agree with you about the line though. I'd argue that Sherando hasn't had a truly great offense since 2007. The 2013 team's offense wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it was the defense that led them to the final that year.

If they bulk up over the offseason though, I think the 2017 team will be just as good as the best teams in the school's history.

Very interesting match-ups (and travel distances) everywhere:

Dinwiddie/Courtland
EV/KG
Chancellor/Powhatan
Louisa/Monacan
Amherst/Champe
Dominion/Pulaski
GW/LV
Glass/Heritage (LC)

Last edited:
Gonna disagree with you here, Hamspear. I still think they'd beat the majority of teams in the top 20, and if they played a cupcake schedule like Millbrook they'd be 7-1 right now and top 5 in the points. Sherando got blown out 38-0 against Martinsburg in 2012, whereas the score this year was 35-28. That same 2012 team lost against Musselman the following week, and lost 29-0 to Loudoun County a couple weeks later.

2016 Warriors > 2011 and 2012 Warriors.

I totally agree with you about the line though. I'd argue that Sherando hasn't had a truly great offense since 2007. The 2013 team's offense wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it was the defense that led them to the final that year.

If they bulk up over the offseason though, I think the 2017 team will be just as good as the best teams in the school's history.
He was comparing this years team to 2011 not 2012.

Millbrook's schedule is too easy, and Sherando's is too hard. One team won't be tested for playoffs, and the other one might not be in the playoffs.

Reactions: Shruikan
Sorry I can't blame the schedule, should be able to go out and win the games. If you don't , then you shouldn't be in the playoffs. I hope no team I am a fan of ever schedules easier schedule to make the playoffs

Reactions: OCBoy
You have played a murderer's row of a schedule, and there are at least 7 teams in the rankings ahead of you that I would favor you in a match-up.(and I didn't include any schools South of Harrisonburg) True, you would probably not make the final 4, but you belong in the playoffs. The losses to Eastern View, Louisa and Martinsburg were all close.

4A East

Pod 19/20

1. Dinwiddie 30
2. Eastern View 29.5
3. Louisa 28.75
4. Chancellor 28.625
5. Monacan 27.22
6. Powhatan 26.625
7. King George 24.375
8. Courtland 23.5

Pod 17/18
1. Lafayette 29.5
2. Heritage (NN) 29.375
3. Lake Taylor 28.375
4. Grafton 26
5. Smithfield 24
6. King's Fork 22.25
7. Denbigh 20.44
8. Deep Creek 20.25

1. Dinwiddie vs. 8. Courtland
2. Eastern View vs. 7. King George
3. Louisa vs. 6. Powhatan
4. Chancellor vs. 5. Monacan

1. Lafayette vs. 8. Deep Creek
2. Heritage (NN) vs. 7. Denbigh
3. Lake Taylor vs. 6. King's Fork
4. Grafton vs. 5. Smithfield
I may have misread the link but I think chancellor is now in 3rd. Or I missed something.

You have played a murderer's row of a schedule, and there are at least 7 teams in the rankings ahead of you that I would favor you in a match-up.(and I didn't include any schools South of Harrisonburg) True, you would probably not make the final 4, but you belong in the playoffs. The losses to Eastern View, Louisa and Martinsburg were all close.
I agree with those teams are very good teams, but I would rather lose to them than beat cupcakes just to make the playoffs . I hope they continue to play the toughest available schedule.

You're right, I was going by Devils's unofficial ratings and assumed they matched the official. I have fixed the post.
Problem is I keep forgetting that Monticello is only getting credit for 2 wins and not the 3. SMH

Yeah that hurts us but serves Monticello right. Plenty of other easy wins they could've scheduled besides friggin' Cesar Chavez Charter. For those who don't know, Monticello doesn't get credit for that win because the VHSL does not recognize charter schools.

Last edited:
I agree with those teams are very good teams, but I would rather lose to them than beat cupcakes just to make the playoffs . I hope they continue to play the toughest available schedule.
If Sherando wins out, would that still not be enough to make the playoffs?

Need some teams to lose at the bottom , sherando needs to focus on winning the next two games. They will not be easy. playoffs?! Playoffs? Lol

4A West

1. Woodgrove 30.75
2. Byrd 28.625
3. Salem 27.875
4. Millbrook 27.25
5. Amherst 26.875
6. Dominion 26.625
7. George Washington 26.25
8. Glass 25.5
9. Heritage-LC 25
10. Loudoun Valley 24.625
11. Pulaski 24
12. Champe 23.75

1. Woodgrove - BYE
2. Byrd - BYE
3. Salem - BYE
4. Millbrook - BYE

5. Amherst vs. 12. Champe
6. Dominion vs. 11. Pulaski
7. George Washington vs. 10. Loudoun Valley
8. Glass vs. 9. Heritage (LC)
So would Woodgrove play the winner of Amherst - Champe?

Pulaski had a strong start. Do they have to win both of their final games to get in (Hidden Valley & Salem I think) or can they sneak in with just one win vs. HV??

Pulaski had a strong start. Do they have to win both of their final games to get in (Hidden Valley & Salem I think) or can they sneak in with just one win vs. HV??
I think they probably will get in with just the Hidden Valley win, but that's why they play the games. Salem playing Pulaski there won't be a picnic!

I think they probably will get in with just the Hidden Valley win, but that's why they play the games. Salem playing Pulaski there won't be a picnic!
I agree, I think if Pulaski beats Hidden Valley, then they should be in. I just hope that they don't think they can exhale and coast through the Salem game after beating Hidden Valley.

Now if they lose to Hidden Valley, the pressure of the game against Salem instantly doubles.

I'm curious if Amherst will benefit from playing strong teams the last two weeks even though both are lower levels. Assuming they beat a 7-1 Rustburg who wins out (8-2) and an undefeated Appomattox (9-1), could this catapult them into a top 4 seed? If beating Salem gives them advantage with getting power points plus beating all the other 4A teams on the schedule (JF, Forest and LCA), Amherst should still get a bye if the others ahead of them win out?

I'm curious if Amherst will benefit from playing strong teams the last two weeks even though both are lower levels. Assuming they beat a 7-1 Rustburg who wins out (8-2) and an undefeated Appomattox (9-1), could this catapult them into a top 4 seed? If beating Salem gives them advantage with getting power points plus beating all the other 4A teams on the schedule (JF, Forest and LCA), Amherst should still get a bye if the others ahead of them win out?
Someone posted earlier that Amherst will get 36 points by beating Appomattox because of all the games they won. But personally if Salem and Amherst have the same points by the end, Amherst should be ahead because Amherst beat Salem

Someone posted earlier that Amherst will get 36 points by beating Appomattox because of all the games they won. But personally if Salem and Amherst have the same points by the end, Amherst should be ahead because Amherst beat Salem
If Amherst beats a 9-1 Appo team then Amherst will get 40 points. 18 for the win + 4 extra points for them being 2 classifications down + 18 for the 9 wins= 40 points

Amherst really needs that bye week. Will give QB one more extra week to get healthy. I do think the back up QB has done a good job but since Turner went down starting with Brookville teams have stacked the box and with Turner who is the more accurate passer they can't do that or they will get burnt. Octavius is a strong runner but Turner has the better passing skills and gives Page and Woodfolk the running lanes as teams can't stack the box like they doing now.

Reactions: wikki
Turner will be a great addition if he is back. I think you are correct Jones is very good with his feet but a few more reps versus quality competition should help him as a passer if plays are not predictable. Page is tremendous and Woolfolk is a Swiss Army knife but I think Jones is a capable runner and that part of his game (naked bootlegs, QB draws or power sweeps) has gone not been utilized.

5 seed isn't a bad seed to get.I like Amherst against Champ and a untested Millbrook in 2nd round.Also I would rather get Woodgrove instead of Salem(not taking anything from Woodgrove) in 3rd round.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
5 seed isn't a bad seed to get.I like Amherst against Champ and a untested Millbrook in 2nd round.Also I would rather get Woodgrove instead of Salem(not taking anything from Woodgrove) in 3rd round.
I just want to play at home as many games as possible

Reactions: iskolinbckers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT