ADVERTISEMENT

OOD Opponents for new cycle

We usually talk about it around this time. Anybody have any idea of their school's out of district opponents for the next cycle?
Before COVID, I believe the plan was to play Amherst, Franklin Co, William Byrd, Northside OOD this fall. IDK if that will change. I've heard talk of Roanoke County forming their own district. IDK if there's any validity to this. IF this did happen I could see Cave Spring and Hidden Valley dropping Salem in football in the future. This is all speculation at this point. County schools are only playing each other in basketball, but that's probably just a COVID precaution.

GW will Dip into SC in fall 2021 to take on
Nation Ford HS in Fort Mill SC
Who else is on the schedule? I thought I read Greensboro Page too. SC football is big time. Glad to see my Danville boys getting the opportunity to play the big boys.

NC just went through realignment and because
Of the Pandemic they were really late getting
That finalized so many of those teams couldn’t
Commit to anything early GW was in talks with
Page East Forsyth Reidsville Western Alamance
Eastern Alamance Burlington Cummings Burlington Williams and Va Schools Lord Botetourt and Lake Taylor

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Fleming is the preseason game. Came close getting Page. NC has a lot of obstacles but may have some opportunities. GW has a good AD with more central office support.

Tunstall ops out against GW in football opener
This Spring game was scheduled for February 22
The Eagles are looking for an opening game

Page backed out.
I’d personally love to see GW play Reidsville and Dudley on a yearly basis. Battle of 29/Border Bash. Both state contenders yearly, one 15 minutes down the road, one 35 minutes. Glad to see them keeping Dinwiddie and picking up Nation Ford.

I’d personally love to see GW play Reidsville and Dudley on a yearly basis. Battle of 29/Border Bash. Both state contenders yearly, one 15 minutes down the road, one 35 minutes. Glad to see them keeping Dinwiddie and picking up Nation Ford.
Oh yeah that would be fun. We wrestled Dudley and played them in basketball when I was at GW in the early 2000s. I was very impressed with Reidsville's JV team when we played them last year. They weren't very big, but ran their system to perfection, and flew around to the football. Overall their guys seemed to have a better understanding of the game than our guys. It must be their youth program? We really need to copy cat whatever they are doing there. Reidsville can't be too much different than Danville in regards to average income, demographics, is it?? Had to go there a couple weeks ago, place looks like a ghost town.

Oh yeah that would be fun. We wrestled Dudley and played them in basketball when I was at GW in the early 2000s. I was very impressed with Reidsville's JV team when we played them last year. They weren't very big, but ran their system to perfection, and flew around to the football. Overall their guys seemed to have a better understanding of the game than our guys. It must be their youth program? We really need to copy cat whatever they are doing there. Reidsville can't be too much different than Danville in regards to average income, demographics, is it?? Had to go there a couple weeks ago, place looks like a ghost town.
Yep, same demographics and more below the poverty line than Danville. Reidsville eats sleeps and breathes sports and they invest in their rec league and middle school programs. 2 things unfortunately our kids and city doesn’t do in Danville like they used to. Like you said, it isn’t nothing at all to do in Reidsville (and Eden) but TROUBLE. Those guys have the mentality that they’re trying to get out of that place and they use sports as a vehicle. I’ve been following their basketball team this year and those guys are undersized (smaller than GW’s basketball team this year) and I tell you, they just never ever give up and are tough as nails. Watched them play Dudley who was 6’5/6’6 at multiple positions, Reidsville was clearly outmatched, but those guys never gave up and took Dudley to the end. It’s just a mentality. Their head football coach, Jimmy Teague, has won maybe 12 state championships at Reidsville.. If Danville fans remember he was at GW after Coach Newell left in 09 for 2 seasons.. Never had the same success at GW (made the playoffs in 2011 and GW had a horrible record). He left Danville in 2011 and went back to Reidsville. Reidsville has won 3 of the last 4 state championships at the 2AA level (same thing as 4A ball in Virginia) and he’s coached in 4 straight state championships... The ONLY reason they don’t have 4 straight is because they ran up against Javonte Williams, who started in the backfield at UNC this year and will be a day 2 pick in the NFL Draft this year. Reidsville is favored to win it again this spring and I don’t see anybody in 2AA coming close to beating them.. They’ve won 2 straight state championships and brings back a lot of weapons from the past 3 state championship runs.

GW’s program was so good in the 2000s that GW’s teams that missed the 6A state playoffs beat and competed with some of the best Reidsville teams ever. GW beat the two best Reidsville teams of the 2000s in 04 and 05 (BOTH of those Reidsville team won the state championship and they were loaded) and GW lost to Reidsville (YAWN: Reidsville won the state championship both years) by by 1 point in 2005 and 2006. Those were some dawg fights. I’d love to see our program in Danville get back to that level of football.

Before COVID, I believe the plan was to play Amherst, Franklin Co, William Byrd, Northside OOD this fall. IDK if that will change. I've heard talk of Roanoke County forming their own district. IDK if there's any validity to this. IF this did happen I could see Cave Spring and Hidden Valley dropping Salem in football in the future. This is all speculation at this point. County schools are only playing each other in basketball, but that's probably just a COVID precaution.
With the County only playing County teams, validates the rumors to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT