ADVERTISEMENT

OOS Games of interest and developments

Not much happening in the Carolinas this week as far as big games go. Region play starts in SC. There have been some rumors about open enrollment. Also a bill passed in NC that changes NCHSAA governance that I haven't heard much about.

Last edited:
Rabun Gap @ Charlotte Christian

That might be a good one. Collectively, Rabun Gap probably has a little more talent. But that one might be close. I'd say Rabun Gap by a TD.

Lee County @ Houston County

Big 6A match up in GA. Lee County has the one loss to Colquitt County. One of the best RBs in the country in Ousmane Kroma. Houston County is undefeated. Flip a coin. Lee County if I was forced to pick.

They did announce the Shrine Bowl rosters a couple weeks ago.

SC

Quarterbacks:
Jaivon Martin (Crestwood), Matthew Wilson (Rock Hill)

Running backs: Traevon Dunbar (Midland Valley), Dashun Reeder (Christ Church), Turbo Richard (Northwestern)

Wide receivers: Christian Zachary (Calhoun County), Yannick Smith (Summerville), Jimmar Boston (Westside), Braylon Staley (Strom Thurmond), Will Young (Brookland Cayce), Avery McFadden (Hillcrest)

Tight ends: Bryce Rothwell (Lucy Beckham), Hasan Lee (White Knoll)

Offensive linemen: Kam Pringle (Woodland), Josiah Thompson (Dillon), Blake Franks (Greenville), Julius Tate (Greenville), Watson Young (Daniel), Slayton Stokes (Hartsville), Brady Pickett (Myrtle Beach), Jake Buerk (Gaffney)

Kicker/Punter: Coleman Franzone (James Island)

Defensive line: Jayden Fuller (Silver Bluff), Jordan Boyd (Silver Bluff), Marcus Downs (Riverside), Shaikh Thompson (Hilton Head), Jarriel Jeffries (Gaffney), Lorenzo Pressley (Lake City), Tamir Hickman-Collins (Indian Land), Jamaris Stevens (Strom Thurmond)

Linebackers: Terry Grant (West Ashley), Omari Jackson (Belton Honea Path), Kelvin Hunter (West Florence), Antonio Hopkins (Chester), Caleb Strese (Gilbert), Jayden Kimble (White Knoll)

Defensive backs: Zay Johnson (Clinton), Troy Stevenson (Philip Simmons), Zantwan Nelson (South Pointe), Jauron Bennett (Sumter), Tyler Jones (Dutch Fork), Debo Hall (York), Demario Bookhart (Spartanburg), Quay’Sheed Scott (Marion)

——Coaches——

Wayne Farmer (Head coach), Russell Blackston, Chad Leaphart, Victor Floyd, Rusty Charpia, Carlisle Koonts, James Breland

 NC

Quarterbacks:
Tyler Budge (Weddington), Evan Medders (Marvin Ridge)

Running Backs: Tyler Mason (Mount Airy), Corbin Kerr (Wallace-Rose Hill), Cuttler Adams (Robbinsville), Nick Segarra (Charlotte Catholic)

Wide receivers: Jonathan Paylor (Cummings), Javarius Green (Crest), Ross Smith (Forest Hills), Josiah McLaurin (Clinton), Truitt Manuel (West Henderson), Mike Carlock (Jacksonville), Izay Bridges (Shelby)

Offensive linemen: Thomas Wilson (Myers Park), Kai Greer (Marvin Ridge), Darrius McDougald (Scotland), Kedar Mangum (Cleveland), Jani Norwood (Eastern Randolph), Desmond Jackson (West Forsyth), Tyler West (Andrews), Trent Mitchell (Ashbrook)

Kicker/Punter: Nolan Hauser (Hough)

Defensive line: Nnamdi Ogboko (South Garner), Henry Hicks (Northampton), DJ Brant (West Columbus), Keenan Hatcher (Grimsley), Chris Kinsey (Clayton), Mansion Brooks (East Bladen), Deebo White (Jay M. Robinson)

Linebackers: Deric Dandy (Mount Airy), Jadin Baptist (Pinecrest), Curtis Simpson (Kings Mountain), Jamarcus Smith (St. Pauls), Ryan Ziegler (Cardinal Gibbons), Brandon Guest (AC Reynolds), Paul Widerman (Reidsville), Billy Wilkes (Providence)

Defensive backs: Ben Black (Mallard Creek), Phillip Harris (Butler), Zakhi Mitchell (East Forsyth), Landon Callahan (Reagan), Deuce Walker (Salisbury), Tre Martin (Southern Durham)

——Coaches——

Johnny Sowell (Head coach), Nick Eddins, Hugh Martin, Doug Robertson, George Privott, Brett Chappell, Bryan Craig

Tyler Mason is pretty good if you're a Tech fan. He just plays for a small school. That's the one thing. Quentin Reddish didn't make it for whatever reason, but he's pretty good as well.

I don't know much about the WR from Calhoun that's going to UVA, Christian Zachary. Calhoun is kind of down in the Lowcountry.

Last edited:
Lee County @ Houston County

Big 6A match up in GA. Lee County has the one loss to Colquitt County. One of the best RBs in the country in Ousmane Kroma. Houston County is undefeated. Flip a coin. Lee County if I was forced to pick.

F: Lee Co 44, Houston Co 35

This was a good one. Back and forth until late in the game. Kroma finished with over 300 yards rushing. UGA target.

Couple games of interest this week.

Gaffney @ Spartanburg

Region 2 game. Spartanburg has a really good defense, but they're struggling to score. They have three losses: Southe Pointe, Grayson (GA) and last week to Byrnes. So, their backs are kind of against the wall. Spartanburg is at home, but it's going to take more than a TD and Gaffney is coming off a bye week. I take the Indians.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
West Charlotte @ Hough

Big game in Queen City 3A/4A. Chance for West Charlotte to make a statement. This has the potential to be a low scoring game, but I don't know that it will be. Hough has the defense and the kicker. I like West Charlotte, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Meant to post this yesterday, but got sidetracked. Think it qualifies as a development. New Bern stripped of title and forfeits games.

https://www.wral.com/amp/21078578/

NEW BERN, N.C. — New Bern High School will have to forfeit its 4A football state championship it won last fall after reporting the participation of academically ineligible players to the N.C. High School Athletic Association.

Craven County Schools announced the decision from the NCHSAA on Monday afternoon.

In addition to forfeiting the state championship win, New Bern will have to forfeit all contests in which the ineligible players dressed to participate, and the program has been placed on probation for the 2023 season.

Last edited:

Gaffney @ Spartanburg

Region 2 game. Spartanburg has a really good defense, but they're struggling to score. They have three losses: Southe Pointe, Grayson (GA) and last week to Byrnes. So, their backs are kind of against the wall. Spartanburg is at home, but it's going to take more than a TD and Gaffney is coming off a bye week. I take the Indians.
Fun fact: My old high school football coach Joe Montgomery, whom I played for at Columbia High School in Lake City, FL from 86-88, coached Gaffney to the state championship a couple of times I believe. He also coached at Rock Hill HS before he retired about 8-10 years ago. He started in FL and then moved on to SC.

Last edited:
Fun fact: My old high school football coach Joe Montgomery, whom I played for at Columbia High School in Lake City, FL from 86-88, coached Gaffney to the state championship a couple of times I believe. He also coached at Rock Hill HS before her retired about 8-10 years ago. He started in FL and then moved on to SC.

That is pretty cool! Yeah, they have probably half dozen or more state championships since the 80s. They were good then. Still are. Think Montgomery would've been before they built the new stadium -- The Reservation. Good atmosphere. That's a covered job. They've been good at football for a long time.

Last edited:
West Charlotte @ Hough

Big game in Queen City 3A/4A. Chance for West Charlotte to make a statement. This has the potential to be a low scoring game, but I don't know that it will be. Hough has the defense and the kicker. I like West Charlotte, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

F: Hough 23, West Charlotte 7

Hough defense was too much.

Last edited:

Gaffney @ Spartanburg

F: Gaffney 19, Spartanburg 14

Seven in a row for Gaffney against Spartanburg.

Last edited:
Chambers coming up on a pretty key stretch here:

@ North Mecklenburg
West Charlotte
Mallard Creek

Need to win all three of those. Hough is going to get the better seed.

Last edited:
A LOT of big games this week..

Mater Dei @ St. John Bosco

Probably the game of the year on a national level. Read somewhere these two teams have a combined 70 or 80 D1 prospect. Wouldn't know who to pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFUWO
Buford @ Mill Creek

Arguably the top two teams in GA. 7A match up. Buford won this game last year by a couple scores. Caleb Downs was such an x factor for Mill Creek. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out. I would take Buford.

Dorman @ Byrnes

This is another Region 2 game. Rivalry game. This isn't a great Dorman team. But worth keeping an eye on because Byrnes is at Gaffney in a couple weeks. Could get caught looking ahead.

Last edited:
Hough @ Mallard Creek

Queen City 3A/4A. Mallard Creek needs a win here. Hough is tough because they're good at every level on defense, and really only need to get the ball to around the 35 to put points on the board with their kicker. So, I'd say Hough by a couple scores. But it's hard to tell with these two. Creek has a lot of athletes.

Last edited:
Providence Day @ Charlotte Christian

Charlotte Observer is billing this as the game of the week. I don't see it. CC did hang with Rabun Gap for a half, and beat Christ School last week, but PD is a different animal. I think their offense will be too explosive for CC. Butler vs Charlotte Catholic is another one being over hyped, but probably will draw a good crowd.

Last edited:
I was wrong about that last one! Butler down at HT, 14 - 6 Catholic. I've felt like they were slightly overrated. Catholic hasn't been nearly as dominant in 4A.

Last edited:
Providence Day @ Charlotte Christian

Charlotte Observer is billing this as the game of the week. I don't see it. CC did hang with Rabun Gap for a half, and beat Christ School last week, but PD is a different animal. I think their offense will be too explosive for CC. Butler vs Charlotte Catholic is another one being over hyped, but probably will draw a good crowd.

F: Providence Day 47, Charlotte Christian 13

Hough @ Mallard Creek

Queen City 3A/4A. Mallard Creek needs a win here. Hough is tough because they're good at every level on defense, and really only need to get the ball to around the 35 to put points on the board with their kicker. So, I'd say Hough by a couple scores. But it's hard to tell with these two. Creek has a lot of athletes.

F: Hough 30, Mallard Creek 6

Buford @ Mill Creek

Arguably the top two teams in GA. 7A match up. Buford won this game last year by a couple scores. Caleb Downs was such an x factor for Mill Creek. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out. I would take Buford.

What a crazy game. Buford had a shot with 24 seconds left and ESPN cut to a NBA preseason game 😂

F: Mill Creek 31, Buford 24

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT