ADVERTISEMENT

Orange pulls upset over Powhatan 28-21 OT

Orange is good and Lohr is the perfect fit for this team. Watch out for Orange Jefferson people...And yes Powhatan won the district last year but got beat easily in the playoffs
I definitely wouldn't call a game in which Logan Allen broke rushing records and Powhatan giving up some big plays on special teams getting "beat easily", and they beat themselves with fumbles.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaGreat08
I stand by my words Powhatan has not been anything to marvel over since coming to the JD point blank!!!!

Actually Powhatan had a very good team in 2011 in their first JD season, the one that took Briar Woods to the wire. Probably would've been state champions if not for BW, but they would've been in a battle with Christiansburg. But yes, since then they've slowly declined. I know you don't like Powhatan since EV beat them, but give them some credit, ha.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I don't see Courtland as an elite team. This Courtland team is not the level of at least 6 teams I can name in 4a...AVERAGE. We're not talking about 5a where there's probably 3 or 4 teams that could give an elite team like LT a run for their money. Yes, they have the pieces to be VERY good but looking at their team, they don't have what 2013 Dinwiddie and Sherando (or LT before their 1st string QB went down) or 2014 Salem and LT had. They have outstanding players in Cheetham, Green, and the young man who transferred from Fredericksburg Christian but when you start looking at their team as a whole I just don't see it. Someone brought up the Ponax game and yes it was the first game of the year, but Courtland has ZERO killer instinct and you have to have that to win, ESPECIALLY in 4a east, and they've proven that they lack that every year. Give me LT, Monocan (even though I've heard quite a few people say they're overrated but we shall see), Dinwiddie, and Hanover (I think this team could go all the way and I think them playing Dinwiddie, Highland Springs, and Henrico will help prepare them for LT) out east. This has nothing to do with Courtland's lack of depth either.

Well we'll have to just disagree. I think Courtland is "getting it" now, and can make a deep run. Their offense is more dangerous through the air than it has been in many years. I think they'd blow out Massaponax today. They would pound Dinwiddie's and Hanover's defenses on the ground, and have the defensive talent to slow down those Richmond-area offenses. I know the Richmond folks will argue back, but it's true. I think if they were still in the West, they'd beat GW and Salem this year. But they better make that run this year while they still have the chance, while they have those seniors. Allen, Grant, Greene, Cheetham, and Larson all graduate. I still think they're biggest issue is, and will be, depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I usually agree with you DSH, but I think you're off here. I believe Courtland is much better than average. They could even be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the East, but there's a big divide between 1 & everyone else. For them to choke they kind of have to be better than avg, I think you contradicted yourself there. My guess is your post was directed at Shauntclair to pay him back a bit since he has been critical of GW even when they beat Courtland.

No shade nor contradiction intended Mike. I gave my opinion of Courtland after watching them play in person and what I've gathered from various big time reliable sources about the teams I haven't got a chance to go see. I called them average and my intentions (and what I thought I said) was that if somehow Courtland was to prove me wrong and make the Final 4 or a big time game, I would bet my money that they would choke up and I'll stand by that. They have some remarkable athletes on their team, but you need more than that to win in the east.

Well we'll have to just disagree. I think Courtland is "getting it" now, and can make a deep run. Their offense is more dangerous through the air than it has been in many years. They would pound Dinwiddie's and Hanover's defenses on the ground, and have the defensive talent to slow down those Richmond-area offenses. I know the Richmond folks will argue back, but it's true. I think if they were still in the West, they'd beat GW and Salem this year. But they better make that run this year while they still have the chance, while they have those seniors. Allen, Grant, Greene, Cheetham, and Larson all graduate. I still think they're biggest issue is, and will be, depth.
Hoos I value your intake a great deal, but I have to say this. Courtland gave Ponax the game, literally, you were there, you can vouch for a fellow Ram, beat Riverbend by 1 in a low scoring game, outscored your Lions (you even stated that Louisa's defense was their weakest link) and dismantled a Fraquier team that well...I don't know but I do know that Fraquier is not going to be in the final 12. So I'm still not sold lol.. On to them beating GW? I'm not sure. I won't call GW elite either, but I think they're better than Courtland after watching GW play Vance. Until GW beats an elite team, they fall into the same category. And I doubt they'd pound those Richmond teams. If anybody was pounding it would be Hanover, especially since Courtland lacks depth. When you start looking at Tabb Patrick and those big Hanover lineman, and Cheatham on offense, I think Hanover wins by 2/3 scores.

Yeah Courtland gave Ponax the game, and nearly did the same to Bend (still racked up yards on them), but after seeing their backfield actually execute against Louisa and watching tape of them, I'm starting to think the Ponax game would've been over at halftime had it not been for the fumbles. Ponax couldn't stop them either, Courtland stopped themselves. 11 fumbles in the first two games! That's just outrageous. I do think Louisa would give Courtland a drastically better game in a rematch.

I'm sorry but I don't see Courtland as an elite team. This Courtland team is not the level of at least 6 teams I can name in 4a...AVERAGE. We're not talking about 5a where there's probably 3 or 4 teams that could give an elite team like LT a run for their money. Yes, they have the pieces to be VERY good but looking at their team, they don't have what 2013 Dinwiddie and Sherando (or LT before their 1st string QB went down) or 2014 Salem and LT had. They have outstanding players in Cheetham, Green, and the young man who transferred from Fredericksburg Christian but when you start looking at their team as a whole I just don't see it. Someone brought up the Ponax game and yes it was the first game of the year, but Courtland has ZERO killer instinct and you have to have that to win, ESPECIALLY in 4a east, and they've proven that they lack that every year. Give me LT, Monocan (even though I've heard quite a few people say they're overrated but we shall see), Dinwiddie, and Hanover (I think this team could go all the way and I think them playing Dinwiddie, Highland Springs, and Henrico will help prepare them for LT) out east. This has nothing to do with Courtland's lack of depth either.

Oh, okay. I see the problem now.

In a division of 50+ teams, you see the 7th team as "average". Basically what we have here is a word definition problem.

You don't have a level between "elite" and "average". Got it.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Say what you want. You have your opinion like I have mine. Maybe I watch too much NC football and my expectations are too high for VA. Yall got it!

Well, I mean who in the nation can favorably compare to NORTH CAROLINA football? I mean, they are easily one of the top 30 football states in America.

Yeah Courtland gave Ponax the game, and nearly did the same to Bend (still racked up yards on them), but after seeing their backfield actually execute against Louisa and watching tape of them, I'm starting to think the Ponax game would've been over at halftime had it not been for the fumbles. Ponax couldn't stop them either, Courtland stopped themselves. 11 fumbles in the first two games! That's just outrageous. I do think Louisa would give Courtland a drastically better game in a rematch.
Hoos ,you think Louisa would give everyone a better game in a rematch, how about the winning team giving Louisa more trouble in a rematch? Don't you think good teams get better as the season goes on also? Actually I will take a good team with quality talent getting better faster during the season , than a team with less talent getting better during the season. Even you have to take the rose colored glasses off occasionally right?

Hoos ,you think Louisa would give everyone a better game in a rematch, how about the winning team giving Louisa more trouble in a rematch? Don't you think good teams get better as the season goes on also? Actually I will take a good team with quality talent getting better faster during the season , than a team with less talent getting better during the season. Even you have to take the rose colored glasses off occasionally right?
Of course. Courtland would slow Louisa down in a rematch, and would still probably win. Louisa would beat Sherando in a rematch. BOOM!

And I would say that as a neutral observer, too. I come across as the biggest homer here, but I'm usually dead serious about what I post. Pressure Minteer, contain Myers and Rivers, play assignment defense like Louisa's doing now, you beat Sherando. You will continue to laugh, and that's fine. It's all speculation at this point. Go back to ignoring me now, thank you.

Does just your computer say that, or your eyes too?
No way Albemarle or any Jefferson District team could stay on the field with the top 5A teams. I watch both very regularly. Broad Run, Tuscy, Briar Woods, etc. would have a running clock at halftime. A whole different level. The top of 5A is on par with the top of 6A right now and Albemarle just isn't at that level yet.

Albemarle's offense isn't at that level, defense is getting there. No running clocks for them this year, I promise.

Actually, I believe like you. The first games against the Warriors and Cougars were somewhat competitive for the Lions. But I think the opposite would occur in a rematch. Louisa would get blown out in each. Just IMO. Due to seeding in the West, Sherando may get to see them again. GL with that Lions, if they even make the playoffs.

Actually, I believe like you. The first games against the Warriors and Cougars were somewhat competitive for the Lions. But I think the opposite would occur in a rematch. Louisa would get blown out in each. Just IMO. Due to seeding in the West, Sherando may get to see them again. GL with that Lions, if they even make the playoffs.
Lions are in the east now. They won't see each other until next season in Stephens city.

Lions are in the east now. They won't see each other until next season in Stephens city.
My bad if so but will stand corrected. No, Lions probably won't make the playoffs anyway in that case so the point is moot. Still, the rider points from the teams they've played so far may squeak them in. Sherando may have a perfect season and the Cougars could go 9 - 1. That will help a lot.

My bad if so but will stand corrected. No, Lions probably won't make the playoffs anyway in that case so the point is moot. Still, the rider points from the teams they've played so far may squeak them in. Sherando may have a perfect season and the Cougars could go 9 - 1. That will help a lot.
I think Lions have to win out to be in for sure, if they don't win out it will be tough. I do not know enough about hugenot and carolines schedule or opponents they have left. Plus Powhatan game is huge for Louisa.

Right now, every game is huge fo Louisa and, as of now and based on performance, only Fluvanna is a "should win" on their schedule. They have quite a fight remaining for a place in the playoffs. I expect more but 2 - 8 should be no surprise either.

Reactions: OCBoy
Right now, every game is huge fo Louisa and, as of now and based on performance, only Fluvanna is a "should win" on their schedule. They have quite a fight remaining for a place in the playoffs. I expect more but 2 - 8 should be no surprise either.
Anything possible except us beating them.

I thought this thread was about Orange and Powhatan. Orange has some good individual talent at the RB spots and some big kids, but after watching tape, the only other JD game they'll win is Fluvanna, with a long shot at Monticello.

I stand by my words Powhatan has not been anything to marvel over since coming to the JD point blank!!!!
Sometimes when you are a smaller 4A school a single injury can hurt your season, literally. Powhatan has had several solid teams while playing in the Jefferson District. So your "thesis" that Powhatan purely benefited from playing in the Southside District is false. The opponents where not as strong but there were times when Powhatan would be winning 42-0 or 49-0 at the half in the Southside. Then they would beat those Courtland/ Smithfield/ Grafton/ Lafayette teams that many on this board said would run them over. That was not the case for several years.

So go ahead and say Powhatan is having a "down year" due to the fact that the squad may not be as solid as years before. But do not say that the reason is them playing stronger opposition.

Albemarle's offense isn't at that level, defense is getting there. No running clocks for them this year, I promise.
I know it sounds like I am picking on Albemarle, but I honestly don't mean to be. I hope they have a great season, but this year doesn't seem any different than others to me. They have pretty consistently won against Jefferson District teams over the years. Since 1999 they are 35-27 against Jefferson District teams. However, they are 23-78 against 5A or higher teams over the same time period.

There is a giant difference stepping on the field against 5A teams (like they did week in and week out in the Commonwealth District) than against 4A and 3A teams.

Right now 7 of the top 13 teams in the state (according to my ratings) are in 5A. You may think, well that's just the Gilliam Ratings, but CalPreps actually has 7 of the top 11 public schools in Virginia in 5A. VHSL-Reference also has seven 5A teams ranked before there are five 6A. So all I'm saying is that 5A is loaded this year. I really think it's better than 6A, at least through the top 16 teams or so in both classes. That's been the theme of my threads over on 5A (the most dead board ever, to have so many good teams) this year. Shoot, Tuscy and Broad Run are handling Concorde District teams. That's been considered THE district in the state for quite a while now.

I still believe the Jefferson has a bunch of "pretty good" teams, but nobody "great" this year, though I think you could probably put Western Albemarle somewhere between pretty good and great. I am not attacking the Jefferson District at all. I root for all 8 of the teams when the playoffs start. I just don't think their schedules or results in their out of district games gave us any reason to think anyone is going to be a juggernaut in the playoffs.

Reactions: hamspear
I been saying it for years Powhatan came from that weak district thinking they were gonna do something in the Jefferson and they haven't. They are average at best.

Just won the district two of four years. Powhatan has been down for a few years compared to the seasons prior to joining the Jefferson so what does that say about the JD as a whole? Again won the district twice since 2011.

Orange is good and Lohr is the perfect fit for this team. Watch out for Orange Jefferson people...And yes Powhatan won the district last year but got beat easily in the playoffs
Lost by 3 points and was driving at the end before coughing it up. You just making stats up because your guys handled us once?

It proves the JD is about as bad as the south side..haha. I still think Powhatan will bounce back and be a tough team in the district down the stretch. What is nice about Powhatan is their fans normally do not over hype their teams year in and year out.

Reactions: OCBoy
I agree and usually Powhatan has the goods to back up any talk that might come about , unlike another certain team in the Jefferson.

I agree and usually Powhatan has the goods to back up any talk that might come about , unlike another certain team in the Jefferson.
The Indians are resilient and their program is one of the best. They will get better while others continue to wallow in mediocrity and denial. Guess we'll know after week 10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT