ADVERTISEMENT

Pass Interference

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
4th Down: Team A has ball on 21 yard line in overtime. Ball thrown to WR in end zone, Pass Interference is called in end zone on Team B.

What's result of play ?.

4th Down: Team A has ball on 21 yard line in overtime. Ball thrown to WR in end zone, Pass Interference is called in end zone on Team B.

What's result of play ?.

From the rule book:

"3.1.1 SITUATION G: In overtime play with third and goal from B’s 4-yard line, B1 interferes during a forward pass. Ruling: If the penalty is accepted it will be third and goal for A on B’s 2-yard line."

In your case, the ball would be placed at the 10 1/2 yard line and Team A would replay 4th and goal.

That's what happened. But rule needs to be changed, if pass interference is in end zone, ball should be placed at 1 yard line with first and goal to go. The way rule is now, the team committing PI gets rewarded.

THe NFL is the only league that has pass interference in the endzone placed at the 1. It's not going to change.

In fact, the Federation went the other way 2 years ago by removing the automatic first down element of defensive ppass interference.

Looks as if the NFHS is encouraging pass interference. Why give up a TD, when you can commit PI and not get penalized, other than replay the down basically. That's what happened in the game I was watching.

I never played defensive back, but when the ball is in the air, I don't think there's much chance that players are thinking about the fact that the NFL penalizes ass interference more harshly than NCAA or NFHS. They're just thinking about doing their job

Pass interference is usually a mistake by the DB. I haven't seen anyone I thought committed it as a distinct tactic because the penalty isn't as harsh as it could be.

I hate the fact they took away the automatic first down. If I made the rules, it would still be there, but there was a lot of outcry to remove the loss of down aspect of offensive pass interference. For some reaason, the NFHS felt like doing that decreased the penalty to offense so they needed to also decrease the penalty to the defense by dropping the automatic first down. I don't agree, but they didn't ask me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT