ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus 104 Jamestown 0 FINAL

Incorrect. The VHSL does not get a dime from any games except the semi-final and championship rounds.
Then I’m shocked most passes of various types are not accepted for the first three games. Now a topic to email our AD. Thanks for clarifying my error,

VHSL does receive a percentage from all regional tournaments.
804Ball, you are correct. I stand corrected, the League gets 35% of the gate, “after” expenses. But, for the last several years, the League has returned a portion of their take after “the League’s” expenses, to the Regions.

The VHSL doesn't get any $$$$$ from regional playoffs. That starts with the State playoffs.
The League gets 35% of the gate, after expenses, for all Regional games.
However, during the extremely lean Covid years, the Regions voluntarily absorbed many cost that the League normally would have been responsible for. In a show of appreciation, The League now returns most of their 35% cut, back to the Regions.

Let me clear this up since Phoebus fans are “bitchin”…the teams that forfeit during the season were asked prior to the season for several years to mutually agree to drop the game so Phoebus can better their schedule like EVERYONE wants us to do. They decline and say they’ll play us then the week before the game try to forfeit.

Such a weird comment nothing satisfies a Phoebus fan? Wtf are you talking about? Everybody main knock on Phoebus is our schedule and our “bitchin” is our frustration about the schedule. If Jamestown would’ve forfeited we wouldn’t have cared because we would’ve understood.
I said what I said. I stand by it. Nothing meets the "P" standard.... it's always something. Every. Single. Year. NOT EVERY FAN....but there's a pile of them...

Maybe VHSL should consider not having a 8 team playoff. Maybe 6. Really should 1-9 or 2-8 team be in the playoffs forereal. I know why it's done, but should it be done. This is more of a VHSL problem than the teams playing.

Reactions: gwb16
Just saw the highlight. Throwing for a tuddy with 12 seconds left ain't it, chief.
Tell that to Maury the next time they are defending the last play of the championship game. It is not your opponent’s responsibility to stop himself. That can turn into a really bad habit that turns you into a district that has not won 15 championships in 28 years between 3 teams.

Reactions: V-Cats and gwb16
4A has ONE superior team. There are 9 teams in this Region. Smithfield made the playoffs at 5-5 as the 5 seed and actually played Hampton better than I anticipated. Let's just paint a different scenario, what if 8 teams have a record no worse than 6-4 next year? It could happen. Those teams are in different districts.

What if Phoebus beats the 8 seed by 100 points next season....and that 8 seed was 6-4? What then?

Personally I don't think there should be 8 teams. Top 4... let's rumble...MAYBE 6.

4A isn't the only division and region that had huge lopsided games this week.

No one is going to have anything for the Phantoms. We could have just had the top 2 qualify this year and Phoebus is going to run them out of the stadium. They are one incredible football team...11 games completed, only 10 points allowed... they're not going to be tested for a few more weeks...IMO

I think at a minimum you need to find a way to balance regions with similar number of schools and make everything uniform. It's wild that you have regions just making their own rules as far as having a bye and stuff like that. I would start there.

Reactions: gwb16 and EPJr
Tell that to Maury the next time they are defending the last play of the championship game. It is not your opponent’s responsibility to stop himself. That can turn into a really bad habit that turns you into a district that has not won 15 championships in 28 years between 3 teams.
This comment makes absolutely no sense and you know it. Phoebus' offense throwing for the 100th point up while 98 points is somehow preparing their defense for a potential game winning Hail Mary attempt in the state championship? 🤔

You're trying to connect dots with invisible ink, my man.

• Haha
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
This comment makes absolutely no sense and you know it. Phoebus' offense throwing for the 100th point up while 98 points is somehow preparing their defense for a potential game winning Hail Mary attempt in the state championship? 🤔

You're trying to connect dots with invisible ink, my man.
In 2001 after the first Phoebus game of the week I went online at 9:00 am Saturday morning and said that Phoebus would win the 2001 and 2002 state championships. I had witnessed an absolute drastic attitude change to something I had only seen at one other Peninsula District team; The Hampton Crabbers. Someone responded with, “There is no way you could know that.” If you are not a PhantomFan and don’t like the attitude change that has occurred at Phoebus following the 2000 season and what has led to them winning 9 state titles, you got to witness it with 6 seconds remaining through the players of the future letting you know personally just how serious they feel about the game of high school football. The Jamestown coach even wrote a post stating that, “Phoebus played like the champions that they are.” You stay over there where you are. It doesn’t need to make sense to you. I’ve been riding with Phoebus since 1980. Winning is always better.

In 2001 after the first Phoebus game of the week I went online at 9:00 am Saturday morning and said that Phoebus would win the 2001 and 2002 state championships. I had witnessed an absolute drastic attitude change to something I had only seen at one other Peninsula District team; The Hampton Crabbers. Someone responded with, “There is no way you could know that.” If you are not a PhantomFan and don’t like the attitude change that has occurred at Phoebus following the 2000 season and what has led to them winning 9 state titles, you got to witness it with 6 seconds remaining through the players of the future letting you know personally just how serious they feel about the game of high school football. The Jamestown coach even wrote a post stating that, “Phoebus played like the champions that they are.” You stay over there where you are. It doesn’t need to make sense to you. I’ve been riding with Phoebus since 1980. Winning is always better.
Definitely not reading that soliloquy. Ultimately, I guess as long as your 2+2=chair logic makes sense to you, that's all that matters, yes?

If the team really wanted to challenge itself for triple digits, they woulda ran the rock but then again, that's won't help the defense on Hail Mary attempts.

Well, the story made one of the national headlines today on the USA app. And it wasn’t very complimentary about Phoebus or the Virginia playoff system. Of course the criteria is set by the region, first mistake, should be set by VHSL standard statewide and no teams below .500 get in. Pretty simple.

Well, the story made one of the national headlines today on the USA app. And it wasn’t very complimentary about Phoebus or the Virginia playoff system. Of course the criteria is set by the region, first mistake, should be set by VHSL standard statewide and no teams below .500 get in. Pretty simple.
Bad policy. Sometimes decent teams are 4-6 because they play a strong schedule. I'd rather have them call the game after a team's up by 60. Phoebus is a great program but I'll be rooting against them personally for the late pass.

I've toyed with the notion of an ultra-mercy rule where if the margin exceeds 50 points, the running clock begins immediately (not in the second half) and cannot be stopped except by the quarter ending. Timeouts, change of possession, scoring, etc. all stop the play clock but never the game clock.

Maybe a combination of a couple of things could help. I like the ultra-mercy you laid out at 50 points with a running clock (even if it is first or 2nd quarter). Mandatory shortened quarters in the 2nd half to 6 or 8 minutes could help. The shortened quarter rule in the 2nd half is optional and I believe has to be agreed upon by both coaches today. Coaches on the team that is up big should mandate fair catches on punts and kick-offs which could help as well.

Bad policy. Sometimes decent teams are 4-6 because they play a strong schedule. I'd rather have them call the game after a team's up by 60. Phoebus is a great program but I'll be rooting against them personally for the late pass.
Yeah, 5-5 Blacksburg won it all in 2016...

I know this will require some travel but take 3 or 4 teams from region B and put them in region A. It will balance things out and make things better. Region B has a lot more schools than region A.

I know this will require some travel but take 3 or 4 teams from region B and put them in region A. It will balance things out and make things better. Region B has a lot more schools than region A.
Take regions out completely. Top 16 using VHSL points.( 20 if you want the bottom 4 to have a "play in game").
Any travel over say 2-1/2 hours game is played on a Saturday
Glancing at the points first round game could be #7 Salem vs 10 Dinwiddie

Worse records would be 7-3

Take regions out completely. Top 16 using VHSL points.( 20 if you want the bottom 4 to have a "play in game").
Any travel over say 2-1/2 hours game is played on a Saturday
Glancing at the points first round game could be #7 Salem vs 10 Dinwiddie

Worse records would be 7-3
That actually could be the State final, though it probably wouldn't be if Region B was spread out.

“I know this will require some travel but take 3 or 4 teams from region B and put them in region A. It will balance things out and make things better. Region B has a lot more schools than region A.”

You just have to remember that creating long travel distances for schools is not just for a once a year game of football. Think about all the other sports that would be affected.

In region A a team that is 1 and 9 makes the playoffs and a team from region B that is 4 and 6 does not.

I just wish there was more thinking outside the box when it comes to how our playoff system and divisions are set up here in Virginia. It was broken for years, then for a year or two things seemed to be going well until they expanded the playoffs. Not that anyone on the 4A-6A boards care (nor do I blame them) but the division alignment in 1A has been broken for years.

Definitely not reading that soliloquy. Ultimately, I guess as long as your 2+2=chair logic makes sense to you, that's all that matters, yes?

If the team really wanted to challenge itself for triple digits, they woulda ran the rock but then again, that's won't help the defense on Hail Mary attempts.
Luckily we ain‘t married and I ain’t responsible for keeping you happy. 😃

I wish you could have lived through all the beatdowns the Phantoms have suffered before the titles started coming in. No one was complaining when about Phoebus when Phoebus was on the wrong side of a 72-0 or 54-0 smashing. But no one is asking for the Wolverine faithful to fly the blue or gold. Ronald Curry once through a TD to beat Phoebus on the last play of the game. Jamestown seemingly felt the entire game was a valuable lesson.

Why didn’t you post the Yahoo Sports story? That writer told a different narrative.
This is the only story I saw. I don't really know what narrative you thought this pushes. It has extensive quotes from both coaches and does not really paint anybody in a bad light.

If anything, I side with Phoebus. They gave the other coach the option to end it. They wanted to continue playing. The freshman/jv/reserves have a right to execute plays.

Reactions: WP02alum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT