ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus 104 Jamestown 0 FINAL

Bad policy. Sometimes decent teams are 4-6 because they play a strong schedule. I'd rather have them call the game after a team's up by 60. Phoebus is a great program but I'll be rooting against them personally for the late pass.
Blunt tried to get game called at 56-0 after 1st quarter and then again at 84-0 at halftime. But yeah root against us!!

I think they are better off taking the top 6 teams… Top 2 get a 1st round bye. Next 4 play each other. Rewards the best teams and makes them fight till the end to get the bye. Doesn’t risk injuries playing those weaker teams in the 1st round.

This is the only story I saw. I don't really know what narrative you thought this pushes. It has extensive quotes from both coaches and does not really paint anybody in a bad light.
In January I posted a thread asking, “Is The Football Season Too Long” While my question was geared towards the safety aspect I was also suggesting that there are teams that have no business in the playoffs. The Jamestown coach is responsible for his team the same way Jim Harbaugh is responsible for his staff at Michigan. He cannot have it both ways. You cannot say that your team is not gonna quit but you want your opponent to take it easy on you and just stop playing. If he do not want anymore touchdowns scored against him he could have taken a Hardly Boys clue when Phoebus was up 56-0 at the end of the first quarter. Think of his mentality: “I‘m not quitting, you quit” Give me a freaking break. How do you think Phoebus became so good. Hampton stomped on Phoebus for nearly 25 years before Phoebus broke through. Warwick had a 40+ year losing streak to Hampton but in the last 2 years winning with a nearly 80-0 differential. Dinwiddie got stomped in 2000 and 2008 but they came back and became champions! Take a look at how many games in Virginia ended 77-83 to nothing this year! Any football team with a 1-9 record that cannot defend itself has no business in the playoffs against any defending state champ! Stop the madness. When Phoebus used to get slaughtered did you ever contact any of the coaches and ask them to take it easy on the Phantoms on behalf of the players? Did it make the national news? If you ever find yourself on a planet where everyone just agrees with you, I would suggest running away quickly.

I think they are better off taking the top 6 teams… Top 2 get a 1st round bye. Next 4 play each other. Rewards the best teams and makes them fight till the end to get the bye. Doesn’t risk injuries playing those weaker teams in the 1st round.
I’m not sure I like the idea of some teams not playing the same amount of games as others. (I know that a few teams end up playing only 9 regular season games, but that is fate, not planned). Another point is that a lot of coaches do not like an open week at the end of the season, as it disrupts the routine and consistency. But, other coaches would be glad for the break to rest and/or heal their players. I guess there is no perfect answer.

Reduce the number of classifications to 4!!! The smallest classification should be reserved for the smallest schools in the state, regardless of the number of schools. Then divide the remaining schools evenly into 3 classifications.

That alone would reduce the number of playoff teams by 64.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I’m not sure I like the idea of some teams not playing the same amount of games as others. (I know that a few teams end up playing only 9 regular season games, but that is fate, not planned). Another point is that a lot of coaches do not like an open week at the end of the season, as it disrupts the routine and consistency. But, other coaches would be glad for the break to rest and/or heal their players. I guess there is no perfect answer.
DinwiddieProud You are right but there is a perfect wrong response. I think I am flabbergasted by the things that seem to offend people verses the realities that exist in our world. There is one country that was hit with 2 nuclear bombs and another that tried taking over the world. I was born in one and lived in the other for nearly a decade. In spite of what has taken place on the campuses of Michigan State and Penn State parents still send their kids to these schools to play football. Do I really need to spell out the absurd history of the Catholic Church? Yet, they control nearly 50% of the top high school sports programs in America and the VHSL still has a working relationship with them. All Phoebus Phantoms Head Coach Blunt had to do was allow his players, that never play in live varsity games, the opportunity to play the game they love and it garners ”stomach churning” national headlines! That’s what offends the high school football fan in Virginia? How many decades have we had schools named after slave owners in Virginia? So long that African American athletes have become desensitized to it. Yet when I brought that up over a decade ago a White Male in charge of this website came after me with threats. Some of the men on Virginiapreps are very, very; no, extremely difficult to take serious. If any leader were truly serious about the seriousness of football the problems simply would not exist and the Jamestown Eagles would play a more competitive brand of football. I choose to disagree on purpose.

In January I posted a thread asking, “Is The Football Season Too Long” While my question was geared towards the safety aspect I was also suggesting that there are teams that have no business in the playoffs. The Jamestown coach is responsible for his team the same way Jim Harbaugh is responsible for his staff at Michigan. He cannot have it both ways. You cannot say that your team is not gonna quit but you want your opponent to take it easy on you and just stop playing. If he do not want anymore touchdowns scored against him he could have taken a Hardly Boys clue when Phoebus was up 56-0 at the end of the first quarter. Think of his mentality: “I‘m not quitting, you quit” Give me a freaking break. How do you think Phoebus became so good. Hampton stomped on Phoebus for nearly 25 years before Phoebus broke through. Warwick had a 40+ year losing streak to Hampton but in the last 2 years winning with a nearly 80-0 differential. Dinwiddie got stomped in 2000 and 2008 but they came back and became champions! Take a look at how many games in Virginia ended 77-83 to nothing this year! Any football team with a 1-9 record that cannot defend itself has no business in the playoffs against any defending state champ! Stop the madness. When Phoebus used to get slaughtered did you ever contact any of the coaches and ask them to take it easy on the Phantoms on behalf of the players? Did it make the national news? If you ever find yourself on a planet where everyone just agrees with you, I would suggest running away quickly.
Manassas Park was overmatched in most of their games this year, but do you know what they did? Three runs up the middle and punt. While it appears that Jamestown was just flinging it around, asking for trouble. You can avoid three touchdowns in the first minute if you know you are overmatched.

Reduce the number of classifications to 4!!! The smallest classification should be reserved for the smallest schools in the state, regardless of the number of schools. Then divide the remaining schools evenly into 3 classifications.

That alone would reduce the number of playoff teams by 64.

What's the ADM numbers for 4A??

Right now there are 2 vhsl schools that play 8 man football and I would not be surprised if more were to join them.

Right now there are 2 vhsl schools that play 8 man football and I would not be surprised if more were to join them.
Galax has been doing 8-man football at the sandlot level for nearly a decade and a half. At least they were when Mark Dixon was still coaching. I'm not sure about now.

Just eliminate the last two teams one 1-9, 2-8, 3-7 teams shouldn't be in the playoffs they didn't earn that right. VHSL Expanded the teams making the playoffs for many reasons. No knock on those teams but forereal.

Serious question here. Have the current Phoebus players been in the feeder school system for the last 7-8 years?

Serious question here. Have the current Phoebus players been in the feeder school system for the last 7-8 years?
Idk what you’re asking exactly but 95% of the team was raised in Hampton. They come from different rec organizations but that’s only because it’s like 15+ rec organizations in this small city. I’ll admit Phoebus’ Academic Academies and the fact a kid can choose what HS they want to go to out of middle school has definitely been an advantage.

Transfer wise we have 3 starters: the QB from Poqouson (his dad is a Phoebus alumni who moved back to Hampton beginning of the year) and the LT and WR from Woodside (everybody left). The other 19 starters are Phoebus kids.

The talk years ago was the class of 25 (even those that didn’t go to Phoebus) was special and it’s playing out on the field. And watch out for that 27-28 class next. Got some very good 8th graders on JV (remember the name Money Hollier) and a stud freshman QB that should honestly be the varsity starter.

Last edited:
Idk what you’re asking exactly but 95% of the team was raised in Hampton. They come from different rec organizations but that’s only because it’s like 15+ rec organizations in this small city. I’ll admit Phoebus’ Academic Academies and the fact a kid can choose what HS they want to go to out of middle school has definitely been an advantage.

Transfer wise we have 3 starters: the QB from Poqouson (his dad is a Phoebus alumni who moved back to Hampton beginning of the year) and the LT and WR from Woodside (everybody left). The other 19 starters are Phoebus kids.

The talk years ago was the class of 25 (even those that didn’t go to Phoebus) was special and it’s playing out on the field.
Jumped to the defensive pretty quickly. I don’t know why. Sounds like kids there can end up in multiple places (4-5 options?). Not sure I’d call them “Phoebus kids”. How are all the other high schools in Hampton doing? I’m guessing they’re cruising along, dominating their opponents too???

Last edited:
Jumped to the defensive pretty quickly. I don’t know why. Sounds like kids there can end up in multiple places (4-5 options?). Not sure I’d call them “Phoebus kids”. How are all the other high schools in Hampton doing? I’m guessing they’re cursing along, dominating their opponents too???
I was just trying to answer your question lol can’t help you took it as defensive.

These kids have gone through the Phoebus system since middle school so they’re definitely Phoebus kids. Don’t get how an outsider can determine this.

All 4 high schools in Hampton made the playoffs; Phoebus plays Hampton in round 2 this week. The other schools simply don’t have the program Phoebus has built in the last 20+ years. Hampton is definitely on the come back. They have potential to be really good in the near future. Hard to replace a legendary coach like Mike Smith.

Reactions: gwb16 and SFUWO
I was just trying to answer your question lol can’t help you took it as defensive.

These kids have gone through the Phoebus system since middle school so they’re definitely Phoebus kids. Don’t get how an outsider can determine this.

All 4 high schools in Hampton made the playoffs; Phoebus plays Hampton in round 2 this week. The other schools simply don’t have the program Phoebus has built in the last 20+ years. Hampton is definitely on the come back. They have potential to be really good in the near future. Hard to replace a legendary coach like Mike Smith.
Anxious to see the Phoebus / Hampton score.

I live in Galax. Half-hour from Mount Airy.
Head down the road a little further, Watauga has a damn good team too this year. Just beat Mallard Creek on Friday. Mt. Airy could probably compete in 2A ball in Carolina this year. They’ll win 1A running away. Tyler Mason is insane!!!!

This may answer many of your questions. Whether agree or not is on you. Mad respect for both teams.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eEJrNquejRSGPxCf9
Mic drop, everyone else's opinions really don't matter. Information straight from the horses mouth. We live in a society that doesn't hold people accountable and makes quitters. I applaud Jamestown's players and coaches!

Mic drop, everyone else's opinions really don't matter. Information straight from the horses mouth. We live in a society that doesn't hold people accountable and makes quitters. I applaud Jamestown's players and coaches!
I have no problem with them playing the game and finishing it. This coaches statement holds true. Now on the other side of the field. You don't have to score 100 just because you can.

Phoebus did what Phoebus should have done!! They put in the back ups of the back ups, the ones who stand on the sideline all year, this was their moment, they get a chance to play, to hell with asking those 3rd string guys to lay down!! You want change, go to a 6 team region play off and 1 and 2 get a bye!! Back in the day, you had to be above average to make it to the playoffs. I said this in another thread and was responded to that #1-2 getting bye’s cheapens the playoffs!! Can some one explain how that it is?? When allowing a 1-9 team in doesn’t?? Cause I just don’t see it!!

Reactions: MMQP 6.0
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT