ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus vs Oscar Smith

fattyhawk2013

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 23, 2013
On paper Smith is the bigger team. I believe speed wise, they are about the same. Phoebus goes into this game knowing what to expect from Smith. Alot of kids return from Phoebus from last years match up. I expect a better game from Phoebus this year but will it be enough. I don't know. Should be exciting and a packed house at Darling Stadium on Saturday. This is for bragging rights on Hampton roads. Both teams are champions and are number seeds in the respected division. Hopefully both teams come out healthy after the contest. May the best team win!

That 2 point showing against Western Branch shows OS venerability. This time it should be far more competitive. Turnovers snd penalties may be the difference. I’ve noticed this year officials seem more flag happy than in the past.

That 2 point showing against Western Branch shows OS venerability. This time it should be far more competitive. Turnovers snd penalties may be the difference. I’ve noticed this year officials seem more flag happy than in the past.
Its like they are getting paid to throw flags. Western Branch is a gd team but to hold OS without a TD....that was a great job by Branch. I think Smith was thinking about Phoebus and Phoebus was thinking about Smith against Gloucester. I will say this,on paper Smith has played a harder schedule. Phoebus is loaded with talent. This will be a true test for the Phantoms. I hope its a great game.

This isn’t the “traditional” Oscar Smith dominant team in my opinion. I saw them in person play Indian River, Kings Fork, and Western Branch…in all 3 games Oscar Smith looked like they were going to lose and somehow pulled it out. They have been challenged 3 times this year and passed all 3.

That’s where it’s different for Phoebus. We have been challenged not one game and have no clue what we will do when we face adversity. The kids are clearly bored and unchallenged to the point coach started running part time JV kids on kick return coverage to start game and back to back weeks we’ve given up kickoff returns. As a team Phoebus has only given up 20 points in 9 games with the only touchdown coming against the defense being a desperation bomb Bethel threw on the 2nd team defense down 41-0 at the end of the game. So that means the 1sr team defense hasn’t been scored on yet this season…what happens if Smith comes out and scores easily; how does Phoebus respond?

Its like they are getting paid to throw flags. Western Branch is a gd team but to hold OS without a TD....that was a great job by Branch. I think Smith was thinking about Phoebus and Phoebus was thinking about Smith against Gloucester. I will say this,on paper Smith has played a harder schedule. Phoebus is loaded with talent. This will be a true test for the Phantoms. I hope its a great game.

Nah Phoebus played Gloucester with back ups in mostly because Gloucester had injury concerns.

This isn’t the “traditional” Oscar Smith dominant team in my opinion. I saw them in person play Indian River, Kings Fork, and Western Branch…in all 3 games Oscar Smith looked like they were going to lose and somehow pulled it out. They have been challenged 3 times this year and passed all 3.

That’s where it’s different for Phoebus. We have been challenged not one game and have no clue what we will do when we face adversity. The kids are clearly bored and unchallenged to the point coach started running part time JV kids on kick return coverage to start game and back to back weeks we’ve given up kickoff returns. As a team Phoebus has only given up 20 points in 9 games with the only touchdown coming against the defense being a desperation bomb Bethel threw on the 2nd team defense down 41-0 at the end of the game. So that means the 1sr team defense hasn’t been scored on yet this season…what happens if Smith comes out and scores easily; how does Phoebus respond?
None of the teams in the Peninsula that Phoebus has played is better than Kings Fork, Indian River or Western Branch. OS has played better opposition hands down. If Phoebus beat Smith, I would be very impressed. You make it seem like Phoebus is unbeatable. One thing is for sure, Phoebus wont be putting in JV guys for this game. I hope Phoebus wins but the main thing would be to come out of this game win or lose without injury, primed for the playoffs.

Saturday's game will be fun. If Smith is @ full strength (3Star OL didn't play vs WB & they had 4-5 injuries during that game), I give them the edge but probably a one score game. A wounded Smith team can loose this game & still make their run in Class 6 if they can get healthy during the playoffs. Same for Phoebus, a loss won't prevent them from dominating their playoff opponents either.

Reactions: BGfootball95
Saturday's game will be fun. If Smith is @ full strength (3Star OL didn't play vs WB & they had 4-5 injuries during that game), I give them the edge but probably a one score game. A wounded Smith team can loose this game & still make their run in Class 6 if they can get healthy during the playoffs. Same for Phoebus, a loss won't prevent them from dominating their playoff opponents either.
I wonder if this game will be televised?

None of the teams in the Peninsula that Phoebus has played is better than Kings Fork, Indian River or Western Branch. OS has played better opposition hands down. If Phoebus beat Smith, I would be very impressed. You make it seem like Phoebus is unbeatable. One thing is for sure, Phoebus wont be putting in JV guys for this game. I hope Phoebus wins but the main thing would be to come out of this game win or lose without injury, primed for the playoffs.
My post should read “We have not been challenged yet”. Hope that clears up everything because I’ve been legit concerned that this weak competition will hurt Phoebus down the line. And no they won’t be running part time kids on kick returns this week.

My post should read “We have not been challenged yet”. Hope that clears up everything because I’ve been legit concerned that this weak competition will hurt Phoebus down the line. And no they won’t be running part time kids on kick returns this week.
Why would it hurt them? Its great competition. Win or lose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT