ADVERTISEMENT

PM vs GW

Oct 16, 2016
Lexington
Wow this is the one that I think everyone has been waiting on for awhile. I made the long journey to the Cliff. At first I figured Hurley would be too much for the Blues, then the fast Blues defense woke up.I have to give some credits out tonight. Jeremy Nelson is a STUD! That kid would get hit and just drag tackles another 3-4 yards. No way Hurley could stop those backs. My stats have the Blues rushing for over 350 yards. The offensive line paved the way for that though. The Blues mixed it up but not a lot of misdirection as they didn't need it. The left side of the Blues line are just steamrollers. 245 lb Fisher #67, 285 lb Mason #59, and 340 lb Davis #64 lead the way obviously. Hurley lost all composure though early in the 3rd qtr when they realized they wasn't stopping the Blues. The score was closer than it should have been but points is what you go by. If PM would have opened up the offense 50 points could have been scored easily but a smash mouth straight ahead ground game is what they wanted so they got it. Hurley had some great athletes but PM size and speed overwhelmed the Rebels over and over. Justice got ejected (pretty sure it was him) in the 4th qtr late. Hurley got very dirty late in the game but PM wouldn't get sucked into it. All in all this was a dominant game from PM shutting down a team that averaged nearly 60 ppg. I will be in Wytheville with bells on next weekend what a matchup that will be.

Any idea how many yards Nelson needs to break the VHSL record for career rushing yards? He has to be getting close I'd think.

I knew he had to be getting close. I'm sure he'd like to get it but I am sure right now all he cares about is getting the win next week. That is going to be a slugfest. I have been high on PM all year and I just love their backfield. Maybe it's the smashmouth football coach in me but they to me are a team that is made for playoff football.

Just wondering, Is he Auburn's all time leading rusher before heading off to PM? Does he have plans on playing in college any where? What are the names of the other 2 running backs there at PM?

He has to be Auburns leading rusher I'd assume as he's like 2nd or 3rd all time in the entire VHSL. The other backs are KJ Cook and Marcellius Dawson. Two studs in their own right

Some times it's hard to stop 1 back, to stop 3 in one game. Well, that will be hard to do. I know I have been on PM case on here but I really hope they win and Fort can pull it out again. It should be fun. If that doesn't happen, I would settle for both Wythe County team in the west final.

Reactions: naildriver91
I
Some times it's hard to stop 1 back, to stop 3 in one game. Well, that will be hard to do. I know I have been on PM case on here but I really hope they win and Fort can pull it out again. It should be fun. If that doesn't happen, I would settle for both Wythe County team in the west final.
I'd love to see fort again too..easy win

Reactions: oldballcoach13
He is now 2nd behind the kid from Byrd in the 90's. From what I've seen he's not worried about the record he wants to win and take whatever comes with it. He was made for this type of fb, 4-5 yards a carry. Anyone who thinks they will put 40 points plus on PM you are sadly mistaken. Covington was way more physical than Hurley was and a lot faster. PM held Covington and Hurley in 3 games to a combined 32 points (the 1st team defense). Those were teams averaging over 40ppg and 59ppg respectively. Everyone thinks they have the unstoppable offense until it gets stopped! I forgot the PM first team defense held FC to 7 points.

I don't doubt for a second that PM is really good. But I'm telling you GW will be the beat O and D they've seen all year by a factor of 5. We don't get tired wr don't run out of subs or size or speed.

Reactions: rebels1979
He is now 2nd behind the kid from Byrd in the 90's. From what I've seen he's not worried about the record he wants to win and take whatever comes with it. He was made for this type of fb, 4-5 yards a carry. Anyone who thinks they will put 40 points plus on PM you are sadly mistaken. Covington was way more physical than Hurley was and a lot faster. PM held Covington and Hurley in 3 games to a combined 32 points (the 1st team defense). Those were teams averaging over 40ppg and 59ppg respectively. Everyone thinks they have the unstoppable offense until it gets stopped! I forgot the PM first team defense held FC to 7 points.
You beat 1 good team. That's it.

Just like g master blaster w said there is not anyone who can match up to gw! I watch the gw and Galax game, if he don't turn the ball over inside the 5 yard line going in to score a few times it's a different game! I see it being a good game but GW winning 42 to 21! I watch rural retreat shut Nelson down last year in the playoffs and GW IS FAR MORE ATHLETIC! Hope the other backs for pm come to play I'll be there to watch a great football game!

As far as Fort playing PM again, Fort changed their offense . That being said PM still wins, much different score. Getting to PM vs GW. Can't Waite to see it. I have seen Graham, Richlands, Galax, PM , GW, Fort. PM and GW are the most talented teams I have seen in 1A. Galax can play with both of them.

Just like g master blaster w said there is not anyone who can match up to gw! I watch the gw and Galax game, if he don't turn the ball over inside the 5 yard line going in to score a few times it's a different game! I see it being a good game but GW winning 42 to 21! I watch rural retreat shut Nelson down last year in the playoffs and GW IS FAR MORE ATHLETIC! Hope the other backs for pm come to play I'll be there to watch a great football game!
Come on over to the home side on the hill and watch the game with us.

Reactions: Westside236
As far as Fort playing PM again, Fort changed their offense . That being said PM still wins, much different score. Getting to PM vs GW. Can't Waite to see it. I have seen Graham, Richlands, Galax, PM , GW, Fort. PM and GW are the most talented teams I have seen in 1A. Galax can play with both of them.
GK who you got in this one and by what?

I think it will come down to coaching from sidelines. Last years game against Riverheads - in my opinion I don't think they were defended right. That was last year though.

No, I have said GW is loaded with size and speed. I've told people on my end that GW will be hard to beat.
Ok I miss read then. I'll ask you this and I know you'll give your honest opinion. You've seen both PM and GW. Who do you got and why and by how much?

I think it will come down to coaching from sidelines. Last years game against Riverheads - in my opinion I don't think they were defended right. That was last year though.
I couldn't agree more but thankfully Harner is doing a much better job. I will say Galax exposed us. But that is fixed now.

GW will not put 40 on PM I guarantee that!

Now hold there cowboy! One of the things that I learned over my over 50 yrs in high school football
Is that it is wise one not to guarantee anything about a bunch of 14-17 yr old high school boys.
It is hard to pick Scores for college or pro football Scores for the pros out in Vagas, much less
A bunch of kids that are apt to make mistakes they have never made before.
You may be right about not giving up 40 points, but that's puts a lot of pressure on a squad that
Probably just wants to come out with a win and move on to the next round. I am sure you have
A lot of confidence in your team, but to guarantee something is taking it to another level in
High school athletics.

Chilwar has seen GW and will probably agree with me that there aren't many HS teams that have what we have.

I will brotha I know who ya are haha I'll see ya on Friday for sure! Y'all stand on the left side or the right side of the press box?

I hate saying this the way a few PM fans are acting on her, but in my opinion PM will give GW all they want and more, definitely not going to be a blow out. My prediction is PM 28, GW 24
That's a fair prediction and I know you and me have went at each other all season. But congrats on a great season.

I will say this, Blaster has a great insight about GW football. He knows that team like
The back of his hand. I have said, and will say again, that GW is a very, very good
Football team. They are the complete package, on both sides of the ball. They have size
Skill, speed, depth, tradition and are very prepared for whoever they are playing.

Having said all that, can they be beat? Of course. In high school football one never knows
What will happen. It's like the forward pass..... three things can happen, and 2 are bad;
It's complete, it's incomplete, or it's intercepted.

Folks you just never know what will happen during the playoffs. In no way did Hurley expect
To lose to Parry Mc, much less by the way they were handled. That win by PM soldilidifies
PM as a legitimate Contender from here on out. It is hard for me to fairly evaluate PM because
I have not seen them play. I can only go on Scores, and that can be very miss leading.

Obviously PM is going to give GW a good game. I see GW as a team up for the the challenge,
And the GW staff will have to put in a game plan to slow down that PM running game. Which ever
Team keeps their offense on the field the most will probably win, and if your defense is on the
Field more than your offense, well things will not look good.

I still look for a close game. At this point, there are no bad or weak teams left in the playoffs,
So if you play your game, and play to win, rather than play not to lose, you will be successful.
GW has one of the best teams to come out of SWVA in several years. It will take a very good
Ball team to beat them at Wytheville. Best of luck to both squads.

Last edited:
Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Ok I miss read then. I'll ask you this and I know you'll give your honest opinion. You've seen both PM and GW. Who do you got and why and by how much?
Well, who I want to win and who I think will win. Are worlds apart. I think GW will out score PM, not stop them. Just out score them. I think both teams will have their way with the other. Both teams are big up front and from reading other post PM has 4.4 speed at the RB position. GW is fast as well, not sure y'all have 4.4 speed but fast non the less. LoL. So it's as simple as this. If PM stops GW running game, they can air it out. If GW stops PM running game, they can not. So I would give the edge to GW. 44-41, GW

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT