ADVERTISEMENT

News Poquoson has forfeited game vs. York

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew328826

Publisher of VirginiaPreps.com (Rivals Network)
Staff
Jul 20, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
matthewhatfield.com
The Poquoson High School football team will forfeit Friday’s game against York High because of video circulating on social media.

The video reportedly shows Poquoson players using racist language.

Poquoson School Superintendent Dr. Jennifer Parish made the decision to forfeit the game and provided the following statement:

“The language and behavior in these videos have no place in our schools or in our community. We find it abhorrent, and, while these videos were created outside of school, we are taking action within the scope of our Code of Conduct and under division policy.

One action that we are taking is to forfeit Friday’s game against York High. While we know some will be disappointed, we have a responsibility to do everything we can to keep our students safe. We also have a responsibility to help our students understand that behavior has consequences."

Poquoson won its season opener, 42-6 over Southampton, to give longtime Head Coach Elliott Duty his 100th career win. York also was victorious in its first game, defeating Gloucester 17-13 this past Monday night.

York is next scheduled to host Lafayette on September 20th, while Poquoson's next scheduled game is slated for September 19th at Tabb.

Probably the right decision but the video per Wavy news down here had some football players and non players taking part and calling out York. I don’t know if you penalize the entire team for some players. The article did not say the number of players involved. It also affects other teams in 3A as a contender in York gets a free pass for a key game. Over reaction to an off school property party that went off the rails?

Punishing the entire team, the entire fanbase, the parents of the players is the wrong decision. Punishing those who did wrong, but punishing those (the overwhelming majority) who did nothing wrong is sad. For example, a junior right tackle or a senior WR, etc, who was studying when the event occurred, or at Church with his family when the event occurred, etc. That kid and his family did nothing to deserve that.

Punishing the entire team, the entire fanbase, the parents of the players is the wrong decision. Punishing those who did wrong, but punishing those (the overwhelming majority) who did nothing wrong is sad. For example, a junior right tackle or a senior WR, etc, who was studying when the event occurred, or at Church with his family when the event occurred, etc. That kid and his family did nothing to deserve that.
Agree, you also got to look at what kind of atmosphere this would have caused at the game the kid that was at church could have ended up in a brawl in middle of field. Very tuff call for an administrator.

Without seeing the video, still not a tough call at all, suspend the players involved only for that game. SHE SHOULDNT HAVE PUNISHED EVERYONE for the action of a few. Wasn’t made at school. Terrible decision on her part.

Last edited:
Not a tough call at all, suspend the one player only for that game. SHE SHOULDNT HAVE PUNISHED EVERYONE for the action of one.
One would of thought the players parents, fans and coaches would have insisted on your approach and reigned in their Superintendent to some degree. Poquoson school is 92% white and 1% black, one doesn’t think some off the rail racist comments at a teenage party in today’s environment would not occur? Punish yes, but not the easy punish everyone.

If my kid wasn’t playing because of the actions of others and something said not on school grounds. Well lets say a teacher(s) was/were to be suspended for his/their actions away from school on social media. Would you suspend anyone else who is not involved, like say a principal or superintendent.

I understand the decision because this incident could lead to innocent people being harmed at this game. Intense crowd with elders and kids could be at risk over this. I understand the safety precautions.

Reactions: catchtds
Each person is responsible for their own actions, not others, whether a member of a team sport or not.

Accountable, I like they held the whole team accountable for a few others mistakes, no different on the field, 1 kid makes a mistake the whole team takes the penalty. About time someone takes actions for social media displays, all voices can be heard, but not all voices need to be heard. Hopefully they will think better next time.

A lot of people with bold comments without all the facts. Many of you clearly misstating facts. Just keep in mind there were many players involved in something, and it might take some time to get to the bottom of it.

Reactions: gwb16
Correct decision. It's a team sport. The team must learn that their individual actions can have ramifications for their entire team. Hope those kids learn from this. And I hope those kids that were involved are never allowed to step on an athletic field again.

Not on the field when this happened.

So Poquoson is KNOWN for stuff like this but social media is just now catching up with it. It seems nobody called out the racism but upset that the team had to be held accountable, interesting. And like another gentleman said, if the team is offside do they punish the entire team or just the player that jumped offside?? Its a team sport, that's how you set the standard that it wont be tolerated. You wanna be racist, do it at home in your private time and it might be a good idea to turn the camera off.

Good job Principal/Administrators, there's no place for it. Maybe the kid who was at church can bring some of his buddies with him next time.

So Poquoson is KNOWN for stuff like this but social media is just now catching up with it. It seems nobody called out the racism but upset that the team had to be held accountable, interesting. And like another gentleman said, if the team is offside do they punish the entire team or just the player that jumped offside?? Its a team sport, that's how you set the standard that it wont be tolerated. You wanna be racist, do it at home in your private time and it might be a good idea to turn the camera off.

Good job Principal/Administrators, there's no place for it. Maybe the kid who was at church can bring some of his buddies with him next time.
Under this logic if 3 of the football players commit grand larceny at a Wal Mart the whole team should be held accountable. Totally illogical. Private acts off school grounds cannot be held to the same standard as rules in an organized football game in progress.

Under this logic if 3 of the football players commit grand larceny at a Wal Mart the whole team should be held accountable. Totally illogical. Private acts off school grounds cannot be held to the same standard as rules in an organized football game in progress.
So to that logic if the QB is smoking weed in the McDonalds parking lot and gets caught by police he gets suspended from school. The racism was directed at York team/community which is why the football was tied into it. Its not irrelevant in my opinion, not saying you're wrong.

Reactions: obguthr
So to that logic if the QB is smoking weed in the McDonalds parking lot and gets caught by police he gets suspended from school. The racism was directed at York team/community which is why the football was tied into it. Its not irrelevant in my opinion, not saying you're wrong.
The proper reaction would be to identify all in the video, Wavy news here has a copy and its about 30 seconds long and suspend each student an appropriate time period. It doesn’t seem too difficult.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Ideally, the proper action would be to do what was done, its unfortunate that the administration had to do this, but it was the right thing to do, maybe, just maybe next time before these kids go on social media they will understand the consequences if they act out. Football is like family, what 1 or 2 does affects the family, just like real life. Unfortunately, real life was felt through the entire family (team) in this instance.

Another thing is, this affects not only the 2 teams involved, but also there opponents as well with points. Bad situation all around all because of some bad decisions. Hopefully the kids will learn from this on and move on. But more importantly lets hope this will never happen again.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Ideally, the proper action would be to do what was done, its unfortunate that the administration had to do this, but it was the right thing to do, maybe, just maybe next time before these kids go on social media they will understand the consequences if they act out. Football is like family, what 1 or 2 does affects the family, just like real life. Unfortunately, real life was felt through the entire family (team) in this instance.

Another thing is, this affects not only the 2 teams involved, but also there opponents as well with points. Bad situation all around all because of some bad decisions. Hopefully the kids will learn from this on and move on. But more importantly lets hope this will never happen again.
and to continue that thought, if it was just a racist video by STUDENTS they would've been suspended from school/team but when they tied in York that made it a football decision. It's a learning experience, a tough one but necessary. Just recently in Alabama a football game was shot up, its just the times we live in, gotta be proactive.

and to continue that thought, if it was just a racist video by STUDENTS they would've been suspended from school/team but when they tied in York that made it a football decision. It's a learning experience, a tough one but necessary. Just recently in Alabama a football game was shot up, its just the times we live in, gotta be proactive.
Just remember this forfeit is effectively a one game suspension with school still being attended by those students. A player involved in fighting during a game gets a three game suspension. We had a lineman kick a Poquoson player at their field a few years ago and the VHSL three game suspension was effective and appeal denied. A heavier penalty would be those players in the video suspended for at least three games, probably more effect on their season. If one is into messages that would be a more serious one.

This has been going on for years I remember playing them in 1998 when Franklin was AA they threw rocks at the bus spit on us called us all kinds of names the crowd was horrible these kids learned this type of behavior. People are not born that way they are taught so the best way to fix the problem is to punish everyone.

Reactions: obguthr
This has been going on for years I remember playing them in 1998 when Franklin was AA they threw rocks at the bus spit on us called us all kinds of names the crowd was horrible these kids learned this type of behavior. People are not born that way they are taught so the best way to fix the problem is to punish everyone.

So when a certain school or schools plays gangster rap (will not name the school, but it's on 58 in the center of the state) and I am sure others do it, but when gangster rap is played in the warmups with words like "soft white boy" and "cracker" used in several of the songs and demeaning words for women, is that ok and just a cultural thing? It's absolutely no different than what a few kids from Poquoson did, but the PC thing to do is hammer Poquoson and rightfully so, but the absolute pure racist gangster rap with open words of racial slurs is allowed. Not a word about. Not a word about the parents and "how these kids are raised or taught a racist culture." It's allowed and not a word to be said because that ain't PC.

The above is one issue since the actions of a few kids from Poquoson has now spilled over to somehow, the entire town or school being racist and that's sad. The kids that did it should be punished, but not one other kid that wasn't involved should be. I think we live in a culture where racism by a some white kids at Poquoson is treated with outrage and it should be, but just last night, racism by hundreds, hundreds in the stands at more then a few schools in Virginia was allowed, celebrated and treated simply as normal with pregame gangster rap that is largely, racism directed towards whites and not one word. No outrage. No apologies from the Principal's. No forfeits. So yes, we know what the elephant in the room is. I'm thankful the few kids who acted and displayed ignorance at Poqousin didn't play the "knockout game" which is celebrated across the country by several members of the African American youth with Several incidences of this by football players in the Tidewater area over the years. These kids were suspended, but no forfeits and no major labeling the entire city of Norfolk as racists, and that's the way it should be because the kids were punished and not the entire school or fanbase. That's the PC culture we live in. None of this ignorance on either side should be tolerated, but you don't punish the entire school and label the entire town. If you do, make sure you do on the other side when it also occurs, and I think it occurs from the other side at least as equally, yet it's not PC or comfortable to say that or talk about. What's PC and comfortable is to hammer Poquoson. That's ok. It's comfortable. It's allowed in our culture, but don't you dare say a word if or when it happens the other way. If you do, then incredibly by somehow, someway, YOU then get the label of racist for simply talking about it.

Last edited:
I lived in Poquoson for many years and watched many games there. I never saw rock throwing or other instances of violence at the games. But Poquoson has a long history of racism.

It's not uncommon to hear the N word dropped in the stands. Even the more enlightened Bull Islanders that don't use the N word will refer to black players as African Americans using air quotes and such disdain in their voice, they might as well have used the N word. Poquoson is 98% white because black folks do not feel welcome there. I've heard all sorts of stories as to why that is. Some of them are true, some not, but there is something to it.

Those of you who remember Allen Iverson's infamous brawl will also remember that it was some white punks from Poquoson who started that fight. Those punks are grown now and will likely brag to their grandkids about how they kicked his butt. Racism is a problem in Poquoson and it's pervasive. Believe me, there are places in Virginia where it is worse, but there's a problem there.

The team should be punished and would go a step further and suspend the season. The community of Poquoson has been flamming racism for a very long time, the community needs to step up and address this in every household in Poquoson, to play a game this year will endanger those kids. Poquoson finally you must address your racist culture!

So when a certain school or schools plays gangster rap (will not name the school, but it's on 58 in the center of the state) and I am sure others do it, but when gangster rap is played in the warmups with words like "soft white boy" and "cracker" used in several of the songs and demeaning words for women, is that ok and just a cultural thing? It's absolutely no different than what a few kids from Poquoson did, but the PC thing to do is hammer Poquoson and rightfully so, but the absolute pure racist gangster rap with open words of racial slurs is allowed. Not a word about. Not a word about the parents and "how these kids are raised or taught a racist culture." It's allowed and not a word to be said because that ain't PC.

The above is one issue since the actions of a few kids from Poquoson has now spilled over to somehow, the entire town or school being racist and that's sad. The kids that did it should be punished, but not one other kid that wasn't involved should be. I think we live in a culture where racism by a some white kids at Poquoson is treated with outrage and it should be, but just last night, racism by hundreds, hundreds in the stands at more then a few schools in Virginia was allowed, celebrated and treated simply as normal with pregame gangster rap that is largely, racism directed towards whites and not one word. No outrage. No apologies from the Principal's. No forfeits. So yes, we know what the elephant in the room is. I'm thankful the few kids who acted and displayed ignorance at Poqousin didn't play the "knockout game" which is celebrated across the country by several members of the African American youth with Several incidences of this by football players in the Tidewater area over the years. These kids were suspended, but no forfeits and no major labeling the entire city of Norfolk as racists, and that's the way it should be because the kids were punished and not the entire school or fanbase. That's the PC culture we live in. None of this ignorance on either side should be tolerated, but you don't punish the entire school and label the entire town. If you do, make sure you do on the other side when it also occurs, and I think it occurs from the other side at least as equally, yet it's not PC or comfortable to say that or talk about. What's PC and comfortable is to hammer Poquoson. That's ok. It's comfortable. It's allowed in our culture, but don't you dare say a word if or when it happens the other way. If you do, then incredibly by somehow, someway, YOU then get the label of racist for simply talking about it.
I agree that there are somethings that need to be cleaned up in the African American community, but Poquoson as a community need to address this issue harshly to change the perception of there community and protect the safety of there kids on the football field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT