ADVERTISEMENT

News Poquoson has forfeited game vs. York

Status
Not open for further replies.
The team should be punished and would go a step further and suspend the season. The community of Poquoson has been flamming racism for a very long time, the community needs to step up and address this in every household in Poquoson, to play a game this year will endanger those kids. Poquoson finally you must address your racist culture!
I would agree that this story is so big in Tidewater right now every game they play this year will be a nervous affair. Most of the BR teams have a sizeable number of African-American players that cannot be too happy about the racist video on York. Cancel the season? It’s idea I did not consider but may be appropriate in this highly charged atmosphere.

These last few posts may be the most ridiculous I've ever seen. Can we be serious for a moment. Was there a crime committed here? NO. It was locker-room trash talk, which was stupid and insensitive, but happens every week. So what is the problem? It was Poquoson kids caught on video and posted. I know, how about execution? Hanging, lethal injection, you decide? Poquoson's racist culture? What a laugh. The most egregious example of racist, bad behavior I have witnessed in the past 20 years occurred in Williamsburg against a Poquoson team. Personally witnessed, not second hand, and I can name other teams fan base. And by the way, I'm not a Poquoson fan in any way.

I've sat in the stands of EVERY Bay Rivers District school, and I've heard these types of comments from each and EVERY fan base. I don't judge an entire team or community based on the actions or words of an idiot teen ager or idiot fan...and neither should you. For words? Was there a riot? Oh wait, we now live in a country where if I don't like what you say (First Amendment) it's my right to riot. The team has been punished, and the individual punishment is on-going, so get over it people.

There is racism all over this great country we live in and there always will be. There are White, Black, Hispanic, and all the other races in this country that are racist. It shouldn't be okay for one race to be racist and not the other, all racism is equally wrong and it should be looked at that way. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you don't like racism stop promoting it within your own race and I mean that for all race's. I live in the diverse community of Galax and I hear racist comments by all the race's in our community and I'm sure I always will. Seems to me that racism is promoted within all of our cultures and I'm sure it always will be. If you don't like it then once again stop promoting it. I don't know the whole situation in Poquoson, but if it was just a select few players that did this then they should be punished not the whole team and community. I don't have all the facts so for all I know it could've been the majority of the team and if that was the case there probably wasn't another course of action to be taken. Regardless it is a sad situation and I hope all involved have learned a valuable lesson and will think about what they say and do.

These last few posts may be the most ridiculous I've ever seen. Can we be serious for a moment. Was there a crime committed here? NO. It was locker-room trash talk, which was stupid and insensitive, but happens every week. So what is the problem? It was Poquoson kids caught on video and posted. I know, how about execution? Hanging, lethal injection, you decide? Poquoson's racist culture? What a laugh. The most egregious example of racist, bad behavior I have witnessed in the past 20 years occurred in Williamsburg against a Poquoson team. Personally witnessed, not second hand, and I can name other teams fan base. And by the way, I'm not a Poquoson fan in any way.

I've sat in the stands of EVERY Bay Rivers District school, and I've heard these types of comments from each and EVERY fan base. I don't judge an entire team or community based on the actions or words of an idiot teen ager or idiot fan...and neither should you. For words? Was there a riot? Oh wait, we now live in a country where if I don't like what you say (First Amendment) it's my right to riot. The team has been punished, and the individual punishment is on-going, so get over it people.
I’m for all for the safety of the kids, if i had a kid on that team he would not be playing due to safety not for the actions of some teenagers, but the community as whole should be willing to fix there image.

"It's not uncommon to hear the N word dropped in the stands. Even the more enlightened Bull Islanders that don't use the N word will refer to black players as African Americans using air quotes and such disdain in their voice, they might as well have used the N word."

I'm sorry, but that is a gross exaggeration.

"Those of you who remember Allen Iverson's infamous brawl will also remember that it was some white punks from Poquoson who started that fight. Those punks are grown now and will likely brag to their grandkids about how they kicked his butt."

I do remember that incident. It started, reportedly, between two individuals, Steve Forest from Poquoson and Iverson. Both have checkered pasts. Iverson claims Forest called him a racial epithet; others there that witnessed it stated Iverson was the first to mouth off. However the brawl started, a bowling alley employee testified that he saw Iverson hit a young woman over the head with a chair, knocking her out. When the employee tried to intervene, he said Iverson attacked him with the chair knocking his glasses off.

Unless you were there to witness it, you can't be certain how it started. As far as was reported, no Poquoson "punks" were knocking innocent bystanders out with chairs.

Reactions: gwb16
"What has he said that is racist? I knew he'd get blamed for this at some point."

mmqp, didn't you hear? CNN and MSNBC are reporting that Trump personally called the Poquoson football players and demanded that they post a racially charged and expletive laced video online.

Last edited:
"What has he said that is racist? I knew he'd get blamed for this at some point."

mmqp, didn't you hear? CNN and MSNBC are reporting that Trump personally called the Poquoson football players and demanded that they post a racial charged and expletive laced video online.
I wouldn’t be shocked if he did , that’s why your community has been exposed , you should be looking for solutions to fix the problem which you are going viral it’s sad

What's sad is, Mr. trutiger16, is that you wish to blame Donald Trump for the actions of a handful of kids who made a stupid racist video and posted it online.
Lol , I said The President has ( Brought confidence and boldness to Racism) I never labeled it To Poquoson. You did sir. Like I stated it’s situation that the community must address, if can help please let me know. I come to Bill Forrest Seafood quite often and have never been treated wrongly by anyone in your community, but good can come of this , this is opportunity For Poquoson to shed that representation of racism.

"Lol , I said The President has ( Brought confidence and boldness to Racism) I never labeled it To Poquoson. You did sir."

You posted a very few minutes ago, "that’s why your community has been exposed". You also keep harping on "fixing" the Poquoson community.

You can't even remember or won't own what you posted just minutes before. Consequently, I'm done wasting time with you.

"Lol , I said The President has ( Brought confidence and boldness to Racism) I never labeled it To Poquoson. You did sir."

You posted a very few minutes ago, "that’s why your community has been exposed". You also keep harping on "fixing" the Poquoson community.

You can't even remember or won't own what you posted just minutes before. Consequently, I'm done wasting time with you.
Great take that same energy into your community address the real issue.

Punishment has been administered and that part is over. The concern now is possible retaliation. I hope and pray the kids let it go.

Are you kidding ? Please I hope so.

Hey dude, you're entitled to your opinion even if I disagree with it. Which is the great thing about living in the USA, FREEDOM OF OPINION. Though the left is trying their damn hardest to do away with that.

I disagree with what the players did and they should get punished. NOT the entire team. And NOT the entire season. And I do expect the same punishment to be meted out moving forward regardless of race. That is fairness. Someone mentioned knockout games earlier, did this actually happen amongst players in Norfolk or something, or was it just a general comment?

Hey dude, you're entitled to your opinion even if I disagree with it. Which is the great thing about living in the USA, FREEDOM OF OPINION. Though the left is trying their damn hardest to do away with that.

I disagree with what the players did and they should get punished. NOT the entire team. And NOT the entire season. And I do expect the same punishment to be meted out moving forward regardless of race. That is fairness. Someone mentioned knockout games earlier, did this actually happen amongst players in Norfolk or something, or was it just a general comment?
I don’t know about Norfolk but I do know Poquoson is under the spot light at the moment and it’s not going away by deflecting.

I don’t know about Norfolk but I do know Poquoson is under the spot light at the moment and it’s not going away by deflecting.

Not deflecting. The players were punished. What else do you want besides an entire season ban? I could see suspending the players involved, but once again, I'd expect that same type of punishment to be used universally moving forward.

Not deflecting. The players were punished. What else do you want besides an entire season ban? I could see suspending the players involved, but once again, I'd expect that same type of punishment to be used universally moving forward.
My reason for ending the season has nothing to do with punishment for the incident itself, but everything to do with the safety of the kids on that field there will be a opposing coach who uses this as motivation in there locker room, leading to on the field scuffles spreading to fans causing someone to be seriously hurt or Poquoson being falsely accused of another incident.

Punishment has been administered and that part is over. The concern now is possible retaliation. I hope and pray the kids let it go.

If there is retaliation then those players need to be punished as well. Period.

My reason for ending the season has nothing to do with punishment for the incident itself, but everything to do with the safety of the kids on that time, there will be a opposing coach who uses this as motivation in there locker room, leading on the field scuffles spreading to fans causing someone to be seriously hurt or Poquoson being falsely accused of another incident.

If a coach does that then he needs to be fired immediately. Period.

I agree but I guarantee it will happen, remember I told you so.

I agree with you 100% on that. What I'm getting at is there needs to be a zero tolerance policy on it, regardless of which side of the argument someone may stand on. And I believe that is the only way that issues like this will ever get resolved.

End the season? Safety concerns? So, has it come accepted or ok or an automatic that Poquosin players or fans will have to worry about safety concerns? Safety concerns from who? Safety concerns from opposing fans? African Americans? Is that what many think of opposing fans or African Americans of opposing teams? Do you think so little that you've already pretty much predicted what they will or might do? Have you accepted it and are pretty much considering it a given?

This smells like an ambush by some on the far left to build up this situation in the media, pile on, and pounce. That's all it is. I hope the administrators and fans of Poquosin don't back down and submit to the obvious here.

The right thing to do. Punish the people who did it immediately and hit em hard. But, that's not enough for what is likely far left influence outside of anyone affiliated with York County or Poqousin who is looking to capitalize.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
End the season? Safety concerns? So, has it come accepted or ok or an automatic that Poquosin players or fans will have to worry about safety concerns? Safety concerns from who? Safety concerns from opposing fans? African Americans? Is that what many think of opposing fans or African Americans of opposing teams? Do you think so little that you've already pretty much predicted what they will or might do? Have you accepted it and are pretty much considering it a given?

This smells like an ambush by some on the far left to build up this situation in the media, pile on, and pounce. That's all it is. I hope the administrators and fans of Poquosin don't back down and submit to the obvious here.

The right thing to do. Punish the people who did it immediately and hit em hard. But, that's not enough for what is likely far left influence outside of anyone affiliated with York County or Poqousin who is looking to capitalize.
Sad you run directly to African Americans ? Im certain that caucasians such as myself dont tolerate racism !

Let's stick to football. No politics. Don't care if you're liberal or conservative. It doesn't matter here.
Totally agree! I'm happier not knowing anyone else's political affiliation here. There's a lot of people I like and admire on VirginiaPreps. I probably wouldn't like some of them as much if I knew how they voted. It shouldn't be that way, but that's the reality of it.

I applaud Poq admin for taking a stand. Issues like these are bigger than any football game. I don't know what else can be done but I'd like to see some type of outreach, community service etc. - maybe things like that ring hollow after the fact. For discussion - how would/can the community go about rebuilding/repairing their reputation? What steps or actions can they take? As many have stated, they do have a reputation whether based in fact or not.

I applaud Poq admin for taking a stand. Issues like these are bigger than any football game. I don't know what else can be done but I'd like to see some type of outreach, community service etc. - maybe things like that ring hollow after the fact. For discussion - how would/can the community go about rebuilding/repairing their reputation? What steps or actions can they take? As many have stated, they do have a reputation whether based in fact or not.

For discussion, I think it's an absolute joke that you would suggest an "outreach" which further fuels exactly what some want this to be, and that's for this to not end, and for it to be made a huge issue. It's about approximately 5-7 kids who are teenagers which acted foolish and did wrong and need to be punished hard, but the opportunity at politicizing the situation is just to great for some with a certain ideology that is an ideology not of true peace and being together, but at true hatred and bigotry and division. Some adults out there in my opinion are absolutely no different then the few kids that did what they did. They want an issue. They want it to be bigger than what it is, and that is equally sad.

Community Outreach? Good lordy man.

For discussion, I think it's an absolute joke that you would suggest an "outreach" which further fuels exactly what some want this to be, and that's for this to not end, and for it to be made a huge issue. It's about approximately 5-7 kids who are teenagers which acted foolish and did wrong and need to be punished hard, but the opportunity at politicizing the situation is just to great for some with a certain ideology that is an ideology not of true peace and being together, but at true hatred and bigotry and division. Some adults out there in my opinion are absolutely no different then the few kids that did what they did. They want an issue. They want it to be bigger than what it is, and that is equally sad.

Community Outreach? Good lordy man.
The outreach need not be a public spectacle. If you think Poquoson's race problem is limited to 5-7 kids, you have never been there or you don't see the problem. It involves the central part of the community and has for generations. Would lynchings be openly discussed in Radford? It is in Poquoson. I've lived in both places.

Reactions: schoolboard
I say we attempt to impeach this entire thread. Let’s talk FOOTBALL... nothing good is going to come out of this thread the way it’s going. Can everyone try to agree on this and move on to FOOTBALL?

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT