ADVERTISEMENT

Powhatan Indians Preview

appydawg85

VaPreps Rookie
Dec 3, 2006
The Powhatan Indians will enter the 2016 / 2017 campaign with one initial goal in mind that eluded them last season....staying healthy. With several season ending injuries occuring at various points of the season Coach Woodsons squad look to put that behind them and move on. Assisiting with that task will be running backs Justin Deleon and Ross Lewis who both were bitten last season. The crafty Deleon who averaged over a 100 yds per game will be the workhorse with Lewis as the power back. At receiver the Indians will go to Gabe Satterwhite and Jonathan Arnold both returners. The one question mark is Jacob Oglesby's move behind center. Although he held the starting job at the JV level and led the Indians to the Jefferson District Title, Oglesby spent all of last season at the wideout position. The Indians will look for his senior leadership to spark the O. Ten starters return on defense with a wealth of experience. Will Shwartz will cause some problems for opposing teams at the DE position as will Justin Stoner at DT. Lamont Henderson and Ty Hicks are seasoned veterans at the linebacker position. The secondary which is much approved will look to eliminate the big plays in the oppositions passing game. At this early juncture Powhatan is undoubtably searching for some depth on this side of the ball which may be crucial to keeping everyone injury free. After missing the playoffs for the first time in 14 years, the Indians come into 2016 with a chip on their shoulder. With solid defense and special teams the Indians should have a competitive campaign in the Jefferson District, but will only reach a level of past success if the offense fires on all cylinders.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
The one question mark is Jacob Oglesby's move behind center. Although he held the starting job at the JV level and led the Indians to the Jefferson District Title, Oglesby spent all of last season at the wideout position.
I just watched Oglesby's highlights against Hopewell. The kid's a gamer! If they stay healthy, with that huge line, Powhatan should be in the East mix.

One of may all time favorites as I coached him in Middle School baseball a few years ago and also his older brother who is an outstanding young man as well. Very mentally tough kid with lots of athleticism. He has battled some adversity over the years which I think has made him play with somewhat of a chip on his shoulder. As I said he is no stranger to the QB position but spent last year as a receiver. Thanks for the post.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT