ADVERTISEMENT

Powhatan????

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
Can someone please offer a preview or at least some feedback on Powhatan. Such a historically sound and proud program. Just wondering if they are going to be a factor in Region B.

Come on dude with your resources and contacts you should be in the know! Tighten up over there in the Ville!

They've got a pretty good running back that's a senior this year, Jacob Taylor I think. He'll be solid, probably 1,000+ yards this year. Not sure who the starting QB will be, but I'm sure he'll be solid as usual. They'll have a tough defense and good coaching, I can see a 6-4 team that's probably better than Courtland and King George, and MAYBE even Eastern View, but I don't see them hanging with the likes of Louisa, Dinwiddie or Monacan in that playoffs. Again they haven't played a game yet so we'll have to see.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
They've got a pretty good running back that's a senior this year, Jacob Taylor I think. He'll be solid, probably 1,000+ yards this year. Not sure who the starting QB will be, but I'm sure he'll be solid as usual. They'll have a tough defense and good coaching, I can see a 6-4 team that's probably better than Courtland and King George, and MAYBE even Eastern View, but I don't see them hanging with the likes of Louisa, Dinwiddie or Monacan in that playoffs. Again they haven't played a game yet so we'll have to see.
That’s a joke! Powhatan hasn’t been anything since they moved to the Jefferson district

I would be surprised if Powhatan is better than EV.
If Powhatan is that good then the Jefferson district needs to watch out. Coach Woodson’s teams never really matchup well with spread teams. Has Powhatan won a district championship since being in the Jefferson, just curious?

If Powhatan is that good then the Jefferson district needs to watch out. Coach Woodson’s teams never really matchup well with spread teams. Has Powhatan won a district championship since being in the Jefferson, just curious?

Yep, 2014 they went 10-2 and won every district game save one by at least two touchdowns before losing to a mediocre Booker T. Washington squad in the playoffs. I would be surprised as well if Powhatan was better then Eastern View, but all I'm saying is that it's a possibility.

Reactions: OCBoy
Yep, 2014 they went 10-2 and won every district game save one by at least two touchdowns before losing to a mediocre Booker T. Washington squad in the playoffs. I would be surprised as well if Powhatan was better then Eastern View, but all I'm saying is that it's a possibility.
So it’s a possibility they blow Charlottesville out and beat Louisa too. Yeah I thought there might of been one championship but nothing more

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Especially if Caroline beats them again

Exactly. If they lose to Midlothian and Caroline like last year and get blown out by Hopewell, then oof for them. But say they handle those first two teams and give Hopewell a game...then the district should be on high alert, and 4B for that matter.

Exactly. If they lose to Midlothian and Caroline like last year and get blown out by Hopewell, then oof for them. But say they handle those first two teams and give Hopewell a game...then the district should be on high alert, and 4B for that matter.
I’m still not a believer in that case

Powhatan also won the JD in 2011 (their first year) and gave Briar Woods a good game in the 3rd round.
I’m not a believer in Powhatan sorry. They cake walked through the old south side district forever. Once they got to the Jefferson it all slowed down and has damn near almost come to a stop.

Have you considered other factors? Moving into the Jefferson isn't the only reason Powhatan has not made the state playoffs in a few years. When they were winning lots of games in the Southside district (68 in a row) they were still beating solid teams in the playoffs. Those teams include: Stonebridge (2003), William Fleming (2003), Courtland, Lafeyette, and Sherando (2005), Courtland and Lafeyette (2006), Courtland and Lafeyette again (2007), York and Chancellor (2009) It's not like Powhatan played in the Southside and didn't compete in the region playoffs. There are many more factors as to why Powhatan hasn't won every Jefferson District Championship since coming over.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Have you considered other factors? Moving into the Jefferson isn't the only reason Powhatan has not made the state playoffs in a few years. When they were winning lots of games in the Southside district (68 in a row) they were still beating solid teams in the playoffs. Those teams include: Stonebridge (2003), William Fleming (2003), Courtland, Lafeyette, and Sherando (2005), Courtland and Lafeyette (2006), Courtland and Lafeyette again (2007), York and Chancellor (2009) It's not like Powhatan played in the Southside and didn't compete in the region playoffs. There are many more factors as to why Powhatan hasn't won every Jefferson District Championship since coming over.
That’s ten years ago....

Powhatan also gave Broad Run all they could handle in 2009. So that's state champs BR and BW that the Indians nearly took to the wire. I think it's just an unfortunate coincidence that Powhatan's talent level happened to drop at the same time they moved to the JD. I saw them play a bunch of times in the 2000s (against Louisa, Monticello, Sherando, Salem, etc.) and they definitely had top shelf talent at the time, regardless of their Southside competition. The shocking playoff loss to EV is one blemish that tarnishes Powhatan's "rep", but they simply have had a big talent drop off and a lot of injuries since 2011. They still had one of the best RBs in the state in 2014 and 15 though, Logan Allen.

Reactions: OCBoy
Powhatan also gave Broad Run all they could handle in 2009. So that's state champs BR and BW that the Indians nearly took to the wire. I think it's just an unfortunate coincidence that Powhatan's talent level happened to drop at the same time they moved to the JD. I saw them play a bunch of times in the 2000s (against Louisa, Monticello, Sherando, Salem, etc.) and they definitely had top shelf talent at the time, regardless of their Southside competition. The shocking playoff loss to EV is one blemish that tarnishes Powhatan's "rep", but they simply have had a big talent drop off and a lot of injuries since 2011. They still had one of the best RBs in the state in 2014 and 15 though, Logan Allen.
i was at the Powhatan and Briar Woods game that year , although Powhatan played well , clearly BW was the better team. I wouldn’t classify it as going down to the wire myself .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT