ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions for AAAA State Finals

Devils trying to make light of the talk about the west , I get it , have every right to gloat if that's what you are doing. and now you got your pawn following you now I see. Such a solid football attribute of knowledge by your side, is that a mineral selfie?

s L
It's too stuffy on the boards. My team the best, naw my team the best, naw my team the best..Great thing is we have a playoff system so it will sort itself out. Guys are taking this too serious.

Champe, in addition to Woodgrove, has beaten two teams currently in the playoffs(if season ended today)

It's been oddly quiet this reason regarding post from Devils and Salem fans. Personally, I think it says a lot. No, neither team is down I think Devils and the Salem posse are laying in wait to unload. They are that good and know it. Nothing wrong with being optomistic, but I am going with a proven commodity. I agree with many of you about GW Danville. Find them very interesting and a mad sleeper, just so many unknowns. Sherando has the D and JF the O, but neither seem to be a complete package. Courtland has the three "monsters", but running the ball all night will result in a lot of 3 and outs against LT. Lafayette just like GW may not quite be ready. If LT is to be challenged you have to have a sound o line, pass effectively and have tremendious speed on the outside. Not to mention a defense that can stuff the option and still play man to man coverage. In my opinion only one team in the 4a East has that and they have to play perfect all game long. Monacan......

Bias? You do realize I picked Salem to win it all last year, even against LT? This year I have either Woodgrove or John Champe getting there. I mean, I have every respect for the Spartan program. When you roll through a season like they have, you have to give them kudo's. They dominated everyone. But honestly, they don't play much of a schedule. Barely a challenge. It's not just their program that has kept them as successful as they've been.

I love the program but Salem has not played anyone remotely close to the level of Champe or Woodgrove or even Sherando. That's just the bottom line. Just make me wrong again. Pretty easy thing lately. But bias? No chance and has never been the case. I doubt anyone on this board takes an objective look at a game and picks against their own team more than I do. Glad they also prove me wrong more often than not.
Champe hasn't played anyone but Woodgrove, they've only been in existence 4 years or so. We don't know what level they're at. Salem hasn't played anyone at Woodgrove or Sherando's level, true but that doesn't mean they won't be ready when the time comes.

If I remember correctly you were saying Woodgrove or Liberty would beat Salem last year. I don't ever remember you saying Salem would beat LT in the finals. I think you're misremembering the past. You have consistently picked against Salem once the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs start. You're entitled to pick however you like, but you weren't picking Salem all along the way.

Last edited:
Woodgrove is not even close to as good as they were last year. Point in case: No Dylan Mellor. Good program but not a final four caliber team. Coaching is average as well is all skill positions. Again...beat by a 4th year Champe program that has better coaching and better athletes.

It's been oddly quiet this reason regarding post from Devils and Salem fans. Personally, I think it says a lot. No, neither team is down I think Devils and the Salem posse are laying in wait to unload. They are that good and know it. Nothing wrong with being optomistic, but I am going with a proven commodity. I agree with many of you about GW Danville. Find them very interesting and a mad sleeper, just so many unknowns. Sherando has the D and JF the O, but neither seem to be a complete package. Courtland has the three "monsters", but running the ball all night will result in a lot of 3 and outs against LT. Lafayette just like GW may not quite be ready. If LT is to be challenged you have to have a sound o line, pass effectively and have tremendious speed on the outside. Not to mention a defense that can stuff the option and still play man to man coverage. In my opinion only one team in the 4a East has that and they have to play perfect all game long. Monacan......
First of all to this whole thread, i think it's ENTIRELY way too premature to be talking about who plays in the state championship game. Heck nobody has a clear cut path to win. Even LT who was probably the best team in all 6 of VA's classifications last year didn't have a cakewalk. I agree with Devils, this thread has become a my team is this, my team is that. Secondly, before I'm called bias, in no way shape or form am I any way associated with GW. I didn't graduate from there and if anybody knows their program you'd know that probably 95% of the schools they've played over the years absolutely hate them and myself is included in that statistic...With that said before the peanut gallery attacks me, Ill have to disagree with you Navy, I don't see any unknowns other than they play in a weak district. Those cats can BALL (as Stephen A.would say). I'm sure I'll be attacked with they beat up on Glass, and they beat up on Martinsville, but they're probably the most aggressive and athletic team in the West and they could run with LT. Now I didn't say they could beat them and I'm not insinuating that they are going to beat any team out west, but they are definitely formidable. A lot of their seniors played against LT as freshmen when they went to Norfolk and lost 21-0 against that LT team that won it all that year (Game was not that close, LT beat the hell out of them) so they know what they have to do. My 3 factors for this team is their coach in Anderson, their team speed, and their defense. They have home run hittas for days on offense (an off brand version of Highland Springs, which is saying a lot ) and their defense is vastly improved, which has given up only 44 points to this day. I wouldn't want to play them nor would I be surprised if they were to beat up on a JF or Champe or any top 2 seeds in the second round. Now to the rest of the teams in 4a West..Sure, JF can score, but they can't stop anybody?? Salem... They have some BAAAAD BOYS but are young in spots but I don't see that as a problem..Sherando, I called them overrated in a previous post but they're definitely not a team you can overlook. Millbrook is looking like they're the real deal. Pulaski is much improved but we'll see how they fare against the Mighty Spartans. I wouldn't be surprised if EV or Bealeton were to come out. Waaaaaay to premature to make any predictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
Champe hasn't played anyone but Woodgrove, they've only been in existence 4 years or so. We don't know what level they're at. Salem hasn't played anyone at Woodgrove or Sherando's level, true but that doesn't mean they won't be ready when the time comes.

If I remember correctly you were saying Woodgrove or Liberty would beat Salem last year. I don't ever remember you saying Salem would beat LT in the finals. I think you're misremembering the past. You have consistently picked against Salem once the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs start. You're entitled to pick however you like, but you weren't picking Salem all along the way.
Definitely did not pick Salem all the way Mike. Never said Woodgrove or Liberty would win. Did say that the Spartans would finally face decent teams. Then your boys kicked dirt in my face. Simply rinse and repeat. I'll be here.

First of all to this whole thread, i think it's ENTIRELY way too premature to be talking about who plays in the state championship game. Heck nobody has a clear cut path to win. Even LT who was probably the best team in all 6 of VA's classifications last year didn't have a cakewalk. I agree with Devils, this thread has become a my team is this, my team is that. Secondly, before I'm called bias, in no way shape or form am I any way associated with GW. I didn't graduate from there and if anybody knows their program you'd know that probably 95% of the schools they've played over the years absolutely hate them and myself is included in that statistic...With that said before the peanut gallery attacks me, Ill have to disagree with you Navy, I don't see any unknowns other than they play in a weak district. Those cats can BALL (as Stephen A.would say). I'm sure I'll be attacked with they beat up on Glass, and they beat up on Martinsville, but they're probably the most aggressive and athletic team in the West and they could run with LT. Now I didn't say they could beat them and I'm not insinuating that they are going to beat any team out west, but they are definitely formidable. A lot of their seniors played against LT as freshmen when they went to Norfolk and lost 21-0 against that LT team that won it all that year (Game was not that close, LT beat the hell out of them) so they know what they have to do. My 3 factors for this team is their coach in Anderson, their team speed, and their defense. They have home run hittas for days on offense (an off brand version of Highland Springs, which is saying a lot ) and their defense is vastly improved, which has given up only 44 points to this day. I wouldn't want to play them nor would I be surprised if they were to beat up on a JF or Champe or any top 2 seeds in the second round. Now to the rest of the teams in 4a West..Sure, JF can score, but they can't stop anybody?? Salem... They have some BAAAAD BOYS but are young in spots but I don't see that as a problem..Sherando, I called them overrated in a previous post but they're definitely not a team you can overlook. Millbrook is looking like they're the real deal. Pulaski is much improved but we'll see how they fare against the Mighty Spartans. I wouldn't be surprised if EV or Bealeton were to come out. Waaaaaay to premature to make any predictions.
Liberty definitely won't EV was beating them 47-7 deep into the 4th. They are playing a 4th string qb.

Definitely did not pick Salem all the way Mike. Never said Woodgrove or Liberty would win. Did say that the Spartans would finally face decent teams. Then your boys kicked dirt in my face. Simply rinse and repeat. I'll be here.
I'm not convinced about Champe yet, they may prove me wrong as Salem has you, but their quality win was Woodgrove. Otherwise I have not been impressed. Dominion played them close and they are perennially average at best. Heritage played Champe close, Woodgrove smoked them. They haven't played the traditionally tough LoCo schedule like Woodgrove did last year. I know Salem's schedule hasn't been tough either, but they are smoking everyone. Champe hasn't lost yet and they may step it up come playoff time, but I'm in a wait and see mode.

Reactions: Tom Potter
You had Salem being knocked off by Woodgrove (which looked like a good pick at halftime) The following week you had Salem falling to Liberty. You admitted that you didn't have Salem going to the finals, I'm just trying to remember who you said would knock them out. Pretty sure you picked Woodgrove then Liberty over Salem. I'm not trying to start a fight Shauntclair, but you might want to consider picking Salem deeper into the playoffs than you have previously. I mean they have made it to the Semis (Finals last year) 3 years in a row.

I'm not convinced about Champe yet, they may prove me wrong as Salem has you, but their quality win was Woodgrove. Otherwise I have not been impressed. Dominion played them close and they are perennially average at best. Heritage played Champe close, Woodgrove smoked them. They haven't played the traditionally tough LoCo schedule like Woodgrove did last year. I know Salem's schedule hasn't been tough either, but they are smoking everyone. Champe hasn't lost yet and they may step it up come playoff time, but I'm in a wait and see mode.
Also too Champe and Woodgrove was the first game of the season. A lot changes since the first couple games.

Good morning all. Danville you quoted Steven A, so when i said GW was a "mad sleeper" I surely thought you could read between the lines. Love their style of offense. If they play up to their potential with discipline they have talent to go very far. Definitely not being a homer. Did not mention Dinwiddie at all. Last, but not least the original poster stated his intent was presumptive; therefore, most are just having fun and thinking positive. Things will surely heat up and become cloudy in two weeks.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
How far Louisa goes depends mostly on how far their defense takes them. The offense is built for the playoffs, the defense plays that way at times. If they become more consistent than the improvements in the Monticello game, good things can happen, and who knows exactly what.

The playoff system is much different than before although the ADs and powers that be have worked hard to keep it as Regionally based as possible. There's a reason for that. So the West doesn't get eliminated in the first two rounds and makes it an all East final. What happened with Salem A decade ago has nothing to do with winning a Championship today.
I don't understand why anyone thinks Salem and Pulaski will be close. Pulaski has just squeaked by with wins over the same teams that Salem has been blowing out.
rivalry game------comparable scores have never met much in this game

Reactions: mike salem
I don't understand why anyone thinks Salem and Pulaski will be close. Pulaski has just squeaked by with wins over the same teams that Salem has been blowing out.
Salem should win handily, BUT it's a rivalry game and Salem has won the last 6, so extra motivation.

You had Salem being knocked off by Woodgrove (which looked like a good pick at halftime) The following week you had Salem falling to Liberty. You admitted that you didn't have Salem going to the finals, I'm just trying to remember who you said would knock them out. Pretty sure you picked Woodgrove then Liberty over Salem. I'm not trying to start a fight Shauntclair, but you might want to consider picking Salem deeper into the playoffs than you have previously. I mean they have made it to the Semis (Finals last year) 3 years in a row.
As I recall, you're right. Woodgrove and Liberty over Salem. Never would fight with you Mike. Maybe you have some difficulties with the legs but there's nothing wrong with the mind. Also, with my choice for the final, I'll be picking against the boys again at some point during the playoffs. Worst that can happen is they prove me wrong again. I'd love to see the Pulaski game. I'm going to pick those Cougars on the chance I can pull an upset in the pickem'. I'd also love to see how a Pulaski win can upset the apple cart in the West. The board will be screaming should that occur.

Salem still has to play Pulaski and this could be a tough chore as Pulaski may not be winning by as much margin but they are playing the clock and running hard and are physical . I think we are putting the cart before the horse , and in this long rivalry I have witnessed some surprises ! When you couple emotion with physicality , that is football ! Pulaski believes that they can win and if they win the line of scrimmage that could happen !

Good morning all. Danville you quoted Steven A, so when i said GW was a "mad sleeper" I surely thought you could read between the lines. Love their style of offense. If they play up to their potential with discipline they have talent to go very far. Definitely not being a homer. Did not mention Dinwiddie at all. Last, but not least the original poster stated his intent was presumptive; therefore, most are just having fun and thinking positive. Things will surely heat up and become cloudy in two weeks.
Navy I was speaking on the teams out west. Dinwiddie will definitely be in the discussion. I actually picked them to come out of the East this year as they have solidified themselves as an elite program in the state. GL to your Generals. And i definitely understand what you're saying about GW, but I guess with me being more familiar with the team and program I don't see them as a sleeper so my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Navy I was speaking on the teams out west. Dinwiddie will definitely be in the discussion. I actually picked them to come out of the East this year as they have solidified themselves as an elite program in the state. GL to your Generals. And i definitely understand what you're saying about GW, but I guess with me being more familiar with the team and program I don't see them as a sleeper so my apologies for the misunderstanding.
Danville, what's your opinion of James Smith from Halifax. I know he can play basketball, but was wondering if you thought he would give GW any trouble as a qb.

Danville, what's your opinion of James Smith from Halifax. I know he can play basketball, but was wondering if you thought he would give GW any trouble as a qb.
James Smith is one heck of an athlete. He's a junior and he has already beat GW 5 times in basketball on the varsity level, which I doubt has ever been done before. He's definitely a D1 talent Navy. Unfortunately, Halifax isn't good at all in football. He and their sophomore RB Brandon is about all this team has. Halifax is blessed a lot like Dinwiddie as they are the only school in the whole county. Halifax Co is the 3rd largest county in the whole state land wise, but they have trouble fielding a competitive team in football despite having a huge pool of students to choose from. I would love to see Halifax give GW a game but I highly doubt it. Smith reminds me a lot of Rodale Pippen who played QB for Halifax back in 05-07. Had offers from Boston College and West Virginia but signed with Grambling State. Smith is a playmaker and I see him giving GW fits at times. I'd say GW 56-13 with Smith having a solid game.

As I recall, you're right. Woodgrove and Liberty over Salem. Never would fight with you Mike. Maybe you have some difficulties with the legs but there's nothing wrong with the mind. Also, with my choice for the final, I'll be picking against the boys again at some point during the playoffs. Worst that can happen is they prove me wrong again. I'd love to see the Pulaski game. I'm going to pick those Cougars on the chance I can pull an upset in the pickem'. I'd also love to see how a Pulaski win can upset the apple cart in the West. The board will be screaming should that occur.
I get you sticking with Cougars Shauntclair. I guess I'll be picking up another point on you when I pick my Spartans, haha!

James Smith is one heck of an athlete. He's a junior and he has already beat GW 5 times in basketball on the varsity level, which I doubt has ever been done before. He's definitely a D1 talent Navy. Unfortunately, Halifax isn't good at all in football. He and their sophomore RB Brandon is about all this team has. Halifax is blessed a lot like Dinwiddie as they are the only school in the whole county. Halifax Co is the 3rd largest county in the whole state land wise, but they have trouble fielding a competitive team in football despite having a huge pool of students to choose from. I would love to see Halifax give GW a game but I highly doubt it. Smith reminds me a lot of Rodale Pippen who played QB for Halifax back in 05-07. Had offers from Boston College and West Virginia but signed with Grambling State. Smith is a playmaker and I see him giving GW fits at times. I'd say GW 56-13 with Smith having a solid game.
Thanks Danville. I have not seen Danville in person this season, so I can't be really specific, but they remind me of Monacan here in Richmond. From the two edited videos I saw it seemed they play very instinctive defensively and often stray from their scheme. Is that planned or a weakness in your eyes? I saw several instances where they could have given up big plays, but the opponents did not have the talent to execute. There lies my biggest concern. They have the necessary speed, talent and coaching to get the job done, but will they be able to stay within the apparent scheme to stiffle the more talented foes in the playoffs? Your opinion please.

What you say about Halifax reminds me of Prince George County. A friend of mine from over there told me the football program has something like 218 kids participating, between JV, Freshman, and Varsity. (Honestly, I didn't know anyone around here had a freshman only team). Even for a 5a team, that's a heck of a lot of kids. And yet, they rarely win more than 4 or 5 games each year. They got smoked by the perrenial weak sister, 3a Colonial Heights a couple of games ago. Something sure needs to change there.

Sorry, off the topic again. I'll climb back in my cave now!

Thanks Danville. I have not seen Danville in person this season, so I can't be really specific, but they remind me of Monacan here in Richmond. From the two edited videos I saw it seemed they play very instinctive defensively and often stray from their scheme. Is that planned or a weakness in your eyes? I saw several instances where they could have given up big plays, but the opponents did not have the talent to execute. There lies my biggest concern. They have the necessary speed, talent and coaching to get the job done, but will they be able to stay within the apparent scheme to stiffle the more talented foes in the playoffs? Your opinion please.
You are exactly right Navy. This is what happened to them last year against Salem. Danville was surprisingly faster than Courtland but when Courtland woke up in the second half, GW started to give up the big plays and that transcended into the next week against Salem. In their first and only test so far this year, they did a nice job in limiting big plays against one of the best teams in NC. They fumbled I think 4 times that led to 3 Vance TDs. The Magna Vista game will tell a lot. MV isn't as good as they were last year, but they're still my favorite to repeat in 3a and is a team that has alot of speed and will test if GW can limit the big plays.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
What you say about Halifax reminds me of Prince George County. A friend of mine from over there told me the football program has something like 218 kids participating, between JV, Freshman, and Varsity. (Honestly, I didn't know anyone around here had a freshman only team). Even for a 5a team, that's a heck of a lot of kids. And yet, they rarely win more than 4 or 5 games each year. They got smoked by the perrenial weak sister, 3a Colonial Heights a couple of games ago. Something sure needs to change there.

Sorry, off the topic again. I'll climb back in my cave now!
DP, Halifax's Middle School team is a power in the area. They win in every sport and usually beats up on the Danville Middle Schools. Their JV teams usually go 9-1 and the JV basketball team back when I was in high school from 08-2012, only lost like 5 games over the course of 4 seasons. For some odd reason it doesn't translate on the varsity level. It's strange. Halifax's baseball, softball, and boys basketball team seem to he fairing well in 5a at the moment.

DP, Halifax's Middle School team is a power in the area. They win in every sport and usually beats up on the Danville Middle Schools. Their JV teams usually go 9-1 and the JV basketball team back when I was in high school from 08-2012, only lost like 5 games over the course of 4 seasons. For some odd reason it doesn't translate on the varsity level. It's strange. Halifax's baseball, softball, and boys basketball team seem to he fairing well in 5a at the moment.
The baseball and softball programs have huge community support. Have umpired their regional/north semi final the past two years against Patrick Henry Ashland. They are very talented and have several prospects. May be a major factor in success. Dinwiddie used to be a huge baseball school. Now football is king. Our old AD was the baseball coach. The past two have been football oriented. Halifax AD and former Coach Allen Lawton was a great baseball player at Longwood. Think there is any correlation? His daughter is a good softball player. Hmmmm. Yes, the Middle School baseball and softball teams are very good too. Coach James Smith, Sr. has only lost three softball games in the past five years. Yes, he is the qb's dad. Smith Jr. plays point guard for team loaded out of 757.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT