ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason 6A Hoops Top Ten

1 question, with 2 teams ranked in the top 10 where does Conference 4 rank in 6A in your opinion?

Much better now with the emergence of Hylton. I think Barry Smith's got a good group led by Jerry Carter, Josh Peterson and D.J. Hill. Woodbridge, under first-year Head Coach George Porcha, can surprise a lot of people. Like their athleticism and PG. Probably not ready to topple Colonial Forge or Hylton, but can be competitive.

In terms of Conference 4 as a whole, I'd say it's the second best in 6A-South behind Conference 2, the Monitor-Merrimac. Kecoughtan is pretty strong, Oscar Smith is expected to be much improved with the addition of Nigel Ribeiro to go with Donald Hicks, and I wouldn't count out Bethel, Woodside or Western Branch to make noise.

Bethel beat Hampton tonight and have quite a sophomore duo with Cam Bacote and Dejour Dickens. Craig Brehon's team will be really dangerous to deal with next season. And Western Branch's new Head Coach, Paul Hall, comes from a winning program over at Nansemond River where he was the J.V. Coach for a long while. I expect him to build a solid program that'll be well-conditioned and competitive over time.

While it might not be the best conference in all of 6A, I like Conference 8 in the North Region has to offer simply because 3 of those teams in Battlefield, Osbourn and Stonewall Jackson are capable of being tough outs come region playoff time. Talent at all three.

Follow Hatfield Sports

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT