ADVERTISEMENT

Question on Punt

m-squared

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 20, 2002
This happened in the game that I attended on Friday night - it's not something you see every day and I wanted to get the opinion of the officials on this board. I'm asking just to learn.

Team A lines up to punt to team B at the 30. Ball is snapped over the punters head and rolls backwards almost to the goal line. Punter picks up the ball and several team B players close in. Punter passes the ball to a team A player who is on about the 40. All but maybe one team A player besides the punter is beyond the line of scrimmage, in fact at least 6 team B players are beyond the 50 moving toward the team B returner. Team A player who catches the ball runs 60 yards for a TD. Should the TD stand or is there an ineligible man downfield penalty (all of the interior 5 players for A except maybe the center, were downfield (all but two team A players were downfield).

Thanks! Have a good one!

If an interior lineman are more than two yards beyond the LOS, ineligible downfield would be the penalty. 5 yard penalty, replay the down.

If an ineligible receiver caught the ball, then the penalty would be illegal touching. 5 yard penalty and loss of down. THe ball would go over on downs to Team B if this was 4th down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT