ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts on the game I went to yesterday..

mmqp

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 22, 2006
Went and watched Chincoteague beat Rappahannock County 51-7 yesterday.

Some things I noticed (other than the beatdown):

Chincoteagues fans travel well for what amounts to a meaningless game, 4 1/2 drive along with dealing with the beltway.

I've asked before and I'll ask again, why is Chincoteague not in the VHSL? What is the big deal about playing one game each vs. Northampton, Arcadia and Nandua? I dont get it. You guys are good enough to beat all 3.

Rappahannock County...why is your coach more concerned with joking with fans in the stands than he is with coaching?? At the Mason game earlier this year he was piled up on the bench with his hands behind his head, laughing...makes no sense.

I've heard the same old excuse trotted out over and over about how they're lucky to even field a team. Nonsense, that school has a little over 300 kids in it, I see schools much smaller than that fielding good teams all the time. Chincoteague had about 25 players and they're half the size of Rapp Co.

Rapp Co has some decent sized players on the line but they'd prefer to spread it out and throw the ball every play. Which is fine if you're consistent....but the Panthers are not even close. You have a nice big, bruiser type guy playing QB. Put him at running back and run some power. Slow things down and burn some clock up so that your defense can rest! 3 incompletions and a punt over and over and over wears a defense down, especially at the D1 level.

Rappahannock County also has some hardcore fans, give them something to cheer about for goodness sakes.

Reactions: OCBoy
Most of those kids in rappahannock don't even go to school in rappahannock they drive to Fauquier Culpeper or eastern view which is only about 15-18 miles.

Most of those kids in rappahannock don't even go to school in rappahannock they drive to Fauquier Culpeper or eastern view which is only about 15-18 miles.

They still have about 300 students to choose from. Quantico pulls together a decent squad from ~130 students. Chincoteague has ~150. Colonial Beach ~180. Lots of schools from SWVA <250.

What im saying is if they had a decent coach or program those kids might stay home and the team might be something

Reactions: mmqp
What im saying is if they had a decent coach or program those kids might stay home and the team might be something

Gotcha. And I agree with you 100% on that! My apologies for completely missing your point.

Last year when I went and watched them lose to Grace Christian's JV squad, they were running all these crazy formations from shotgun. They had the ball at Grace's 5 yard line twice and tried all these reverses and jet sweeps and ended up getting 0 points both times. They were way bigger than Grace was on the line so I posed the question to the guy sitting beside me why they didnt just line it up and run it up the gut a few times. He replied, "but you HAVE to run a spread to be successful these day!"... I then told him how Riverheads has won 3 states running about 5 plays over and over. He was speechless to that.

Reactions: gwb16
Yeah that makes no sense. You can run a spread and pound the ball kinda like a hybrid offense. But honestly I don't think rappahannock attracts a decent coach. Who really wants to go coach there?

Yeah Riverheads is amazing at what they do, everyone they play knows exactly what is coming at them and most teams cant stop it. Yes if you have a few good skill players you can spread a D and throw and then run when they soften up the run D. But that spread em out and chuck it style doesn't really work down here most teams have a pass rush that will consistently get good pressure on the QB. Football is just different from southern and northern VA it really is. Look at GW we are a run heavy team we will run it all night and beat the D line to death with our size. After the LB's and DB's have had to do most of the work we attack them hard. You have to be able to run it to throw it down here at least.

I agree football is different in the areas of the state. But if riverheads meets Essex with that they are in for a rude awakening

It's looking like that will only happen in the state game and if that is the case ill definitely be headed to Salem.

Riverheads coach Casto was once the head man at Chincoteague . I heard they were not happy when he left . I hope Riverheads and Essex meet in Salem , I want to see the rude awakening ?

I think a lot of posters who like power football would like to see Essex play. The bread and butter of their offense is line up and run over you, but they can be dangerous with the pass as well. Essex's D looks ready for a playoff run...

Essex averages about 290 on the line. Three guys over 300. Add in two tight ends that are 270 and 265 respectively.

I like scoring points whether it be spread or power running. No sense in a team running spread if they don't have the guys to run it

The Red Team is small , they might break the scales at a buck thirty . If this game ever happens it should be fun to watch .

There are a couple that push a buck fifty. So we are definitely smaller than most schools we play. I am hoping to see us in Salem. Frankly, I could care less who it's against though. Salem means you have 48 minutes to finish what you started. I would guess there are 28 teams that will be very happy to represent themselves there if that opportunity is gained through the post season. Points aside, there are several teams that could make a really strong run. Should be a fun atmosphere across the state in a few weeks.

Reactions: kw85
Riverheads coaches were there yesterday watching Essex and Essex has also seen Riverheads play this year as well. But by no means are either a lock for Salem. Several teams in the East who could pull an upset and not to mention the really good teams out West. Any team that makes it to Salem will have to earn it.

Essex sounds like they are about the same size as GW on the O line we go 6'3 260, 6'2 280, 6'3 285, 6'5 250, 6'2 260 and a 6'7 230 TE. And the D line we are 6'7 230, 6'5 250, 6'3 285, 6'2 200.

Essex is 6'1 210. 6 ft 305, 6 ft 250, 6'1 330 and 6'3 365. Tight ends are 6'1 270 and 6'3 265. One rb is 6'2 250 and a freshman. D line is 6'3 365, 6'1 270, 6'2 250 and 5'10 225. Rb Martin should be 1st team all state imo. Around 1300 yards but averaging over 12 yards a carry. Doesn't get the 35-40 carries a game like a lot of backs but doesn't need to with the depth and versatility of the offense. Got 19 yesterday and that was the most he's had in any game this year.

Certainly not trying to start crap, but I'd have to see that line of GW for me believe those numbers. I'm sure they're big but that's huge. I've seen Essex over the years and those numbers don't surprise me

I can understand you apprehension to believe the size we have but it is true. We have 2 So. 2Jr. and 1 Sr this is one of the biggest lines we have had in a very long time. And yes they are some big boys just young the only time we lose any size is when 55 is not in and 58 subs for him. 58 isn't that big he is 6 220 but still good size.

I personally think it does when you are a very run heavy team like GW is and with us it really helps us beat another team down physically. A lot of the teams in the West do not have a ton of depth or size. So a team like GW can wear on them quickly and we do. And we can move we do a lot of second level blocking instead of the D line that's how our O is run. And the QB usually has enough time to throw it or run.

I'm not sure what the big rb for Essex runs as far as a 40 time but he definitely isn't a plodder. He has pulled away from people on long runs. Great complement to speed backs Malik Martin and Rosaun Monroe who can score from anywhere.

I really want to see him play that is impressive we've seen a QB almost that size from NW but no backs. Don't get me wrong we have seen big backs but not 6'2 250 lol

There is another freshman who is 6'3 265 who plays tight end and mlb.

Good mixture of veterans and underclassmen and a good jv program

Riverheads coach Casto was once the head man at Chincoteague . I heard they were not happy when he left . I hope Riverheads and Essex meet in Salem , I want to see the rude awakening ?

Wow! I did not know that! I'm trying to think back to when Chincoteague had some okay teams..I dont have a lot of info on them historically but they did make the playoffs in 1990. Any idea when he was there?

Last edited:
Yeah that makes no sense. You can run a spread and pound the ball kinda like a hybrid offense. But honestly I don't think rappahannock attracts a decent coach. Who really wants to go coach there?

True enough. But really, are there many small schools that are really appealing? To me, Rappahannock County is a beautiful place where you get the nice country life, with DC life just an hour or so away. I feel it could be appealing for the right person. I swear to you, the potential is there.

I like teams that throw the ball, much more exciting than running the ball.

True enough. But if you throw 3 incompletions, or a combination of 2 incompletions followed by a pick 6, over and over and over... what is the point?? Some teams can do this. Others cannot.

I will pay for you ticket if you make the trek up here to see Rapp Co. play next year HR6. But I only want you to focus on RC, NOT the other team as they start breaking off long TD after long TD due to Rapp Co's lousy offensive scheme.

Not much difference between 3 incompletions than 3 runs up the middle for little or no gain, as many teams do. At least a pass play is exciting.
I like teams that score quickly and often, PLUS PLAY GOOD DEFENSE.

Had to do some digging but here is what I found . Casto was at Chincoteague in 89 , 90 , and 91 . According to school records there were 72 boys in grades 9 - 12 . 39 played football and in 90 they won their only district championship and playoff appearance . Somehow he gets kids out ! I would say those small schools that think they can't compete , think again . Some coaches can get it done , no matter the size of the school .

The difference in Essex and the rest of the teams with the big lines is that the Essex lineman are very athletic for their size and can move. There is not a team out west that I see competing with them. This is not the Essex of the years past with a great QB and speedy athletic playmaking receivers. Although they can still throw, they would much rather maul. Couple that with a defense that has got better over the course of the season, the only team I see beating Essex is Essex, and it would not be the first time that has happened

2x4, not to start an argument but you really think they are that much better than the whole 1A field? Wow, I know we are not a complete team but I would think there are several teams on either side that could at least compete. Saying they will only lose if they defeat themselves is a ballsy statement, not saying it isn't true. I just think it's a little over the top to arbitrarily eliminate any of the top teams from out playing them on a given night. They sound very stout no doubt about it so it should be an interesting run through the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT