ADVERTISEMENT

Rappahannock wins over Altavista in Volleyball State Qs

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Rappahannock defeated Altavista 3-2 this afternoon in some nerve-racking volleyball state quarterfinal action.

Altavista won the first set in extra points, Rappahannock won the 2nd set in extra points, Rappahannock won the 3rd set and Altavista won the 4th set.

Game went to the final set and Rappahannock got hot and won it 15-3 to advance to the state semis v Riverheads.

Altavista played very well and the outcome was definitely uncertain until the final set. Altavista coach was well prepared, played smartly, and was classy.

Rappahannock was shaken by the strong play of Altavista (RHS had not faced much major competition recently this season). However, the Raiders survived and gained some much needed adversity before Riverheads comes to town.

Rappahannock must play better than today v Riverheads if they hope to make it to Salem.

Last edited:
I saw you do the Fred Sanford routine when the Altavista girl spiked the ball into the net when they had set-point in the 2nd set!!!

Reactions: uvacavs1
I saw you do the Fred Sanford routine when the Altavista girl spiked the ball into the net when they had set-point in the 2nd set!!!
Oh Lord...it would have been all over had that Altavista girl hit it just a bit higher....whew.....

I'm sure that you saw who rocked the next two kills to ensure the Rappahannock Raider 26-24 victory and to keep the dream alive... :)

Too nerve-racking for me....

Last edited:
I agree that if that spike lands on the other side of the net then Rappahannock is toast. This was their first big test in quite a while. That 5th set was impressive as RHS dominated at the net.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Upon further reflection, I must say that it is quite nice to be a supporter on the winning side of a contest v Altavista in the State playoffs.

Until yesterday, my only personal experiences with Altavista as a NND fan were disappointing losses. I am sure that many Preps people remember the three Essex big losses in States to Altavista (two in big football championships at Salem and a basketball loss out there in the State qs or semis.)

Essex had a lot of talent and expectations especially in football. Essex lost big in 2013 to A-town but played a heck of a thriller with them in 2014 losing 22-20.

It was heartbreaking loss indeed for all but no regrets as the boys gave it their all and everyone was so proud even in defeat. That was my last year working at Essex (was not a Gridiron coach, just a fan). Good times.

Now, back to the present: next up - mighty Riverheads....a powerhouse in almost every sport. The Big Red Machine as they say.

Just two years ago, Riverheads were perfectly coached, played with precision and knocked out the Lady Raiders of Rappahannock in Volleyball in the State Semis. The Raiders or any NND school have not made it past this game ever.

Hopefully, Rappahannock High School makes a little more sports history this Tuesday and makes it to Salem.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT