ADVERTISEMENT

Rd.2 Woodgrove (10-1) vs. Sherando (9-1)

Who wins?

• Woodgrove

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Sherando

Votes: 24 63.2%

• Total voters
Got it. Now we just need get him to join up.

You should sign up for a year Clarke. There are many great features, plus you have access to the conversation feature. That's a great addition. I've been able to get to know a bunch of forum members via this feature. The reason I was asking if you were a paid member was because I sent you a message, but had not heard back from you.

Thanks Rod for enlightening me.

LOL!!, I just responded to your message.

I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay!;):D
Seriously though, I have a daughter in graduate school and a son-in-law working on his degree, both down at VCU, and it ain't cheap, and they ain't rich! The Bank of Mom and Dad must be a tightly run ship, so sayeth the CFO (Mom):)

Hey Clarke, was the crowd in the commercial locals. I assume the speaking parts were professional actors?

Neat stuff. Thanks.

Are you a paid member of Virginia Preps?
Yes, the crowd in the commercials were all locals, no SAG members were harmed in the filming of that commercial!

No, I don't get paid. Does somebody want to pay me?:D

I was defending Clarke County, not bashing them. You put the 2A in parentheses, I was pointing out that they had an impressive record against teams in 3A and 4A, and would even have made the playoffs in 5A North, based on the VHSL power points.

Hey Clarke,

When they have filmed in and around Petersburg, by necessity the area where the filming was taking place was strongly quarantined. You are permitted, even encouraged, to observe from the boundaries. But there was limited interaction between work crews and onlookers. However, during down times, the crews, even the stars, availed themselves to to the sights and sounds, and especially the eateries. During the filming of "Lincoln", Steven Spielburg popped up everywhere.

Was it similar in Berryville? And I know filming a short commercial is a whole different animal than a feature film, but I wondered if it was generally the same.

Also, the transformation of the part of the city being used in the film was, and had to be, dramatic. Was it necessary for the store fronts in Berryville to be modified?

By the way, the merchants that had their business disrupted were VERY WELL compensated for their troubles. Did that occur there?

Hey Clarke,

When they have filmed in and around Petersburg, by necessity the area where the filming was taking place was strongly quarantined. You are permitted, even encouraged, to observe from the boundaries. But there was limited interaction between work crews and onlookers. However, during down times, the crews, even the stars, availed themselves to to the sights and sounds, and especially the eateries. During the filming of "Lincoln", Steven Spielburg popped up everywhere.

Was it similar in Berryville? And I know filming a short commercial is a whole different animal than a feature film, but I wondered if it was generally the same.

Also, the transformation of the part of the city being used in the film was, and had to be, dramatic. Was it necessary for the store fronts in Berryville to be modified?

By the way, the merchants that had their business disrupted were VERY WELL compensated for their troubles. Did that occur there?

The existing storefronts were not modified, but they did "create" a Bob's Sporting Goods store out of one of the vacant storefronts. They did a couple of commercials, all in one day. It was a big deal in the town, they lined main street with picnic tables, flags, signs, etc. I did not participate as the filming was during the week, so I was in DC at the time. Businesses were compensated for loss of revenues, but I don't think any of them cared, it was a big thing to have a commercial filmed here.

Reactions: mike salem
This is stupid, but your "face for radio" comment reminded me of my all time favorite TV line. On "Sanford and Son", Fred told Aunt Ester that "she was so ugly, he could push her face into dough and make gorilla cookies".

Now, THAT'S a face for radio!
I loved that show! Fred Sanford was the greatest!

This is stupid, but your "face for radio" comment reminded me of my all time favorite TV line. On "Sanford and Son", Fred told Aunt Ester that "she was so ugly, he could push her face into dough and make gorilla cookies".

Now, THAT'S a face for radio!
He also told Ester that "she was so ugly, she looked like the part of the polaroid that you tear off!!" Sorry for showing my age with polaroids and tear-away film...

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I saw both Woodgrove and Sherando play this year and it should be a good game. If Woodgrove throws in some play action passes they have a chance. If they can keep Sherando guessing on defense. That's what Fort Hill did in the 2nd half. Sherando and Woodgrove are mostly power running teams and I'll give the advantage to Sherando...BTW Millbrook was missing several starters against Sherando mostly front line players.

I saw both Woodgrove and Sherando play this year and it should be a good game. If Woodgrove throws in some play action passes they have a chance. If they can keep Sherando guessing on defense. That's what Fort Hill did in the 2nd half. Sherando and Woodgrove are mostly power running teams and I'll give the advantage to Sherando...BTW Millbrook was missing several starters against Sherando mostly front line players.
I've said it once and will say it again Millbrook could have had all their starters that game and they would not beat Sherando...by the way they were missing 2 starters and one of them doesn't play offensive line...next excuse?

I'm not a Millbrook guy but I know there was more than 2 starters out. I root for all of the area teams and yes I'm very familiar with area football. I doubt many know more about it than me including you.

Bet I know more , but how about you produce numbers of players and I will go back and review film tonight , we can see if your right. Simple process. I could have been wrong.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I don't know if it would've made a difference and it doesn't matter to me. I know who was out and who sit out half a game for the ring and run they got in trouble for. I know who got kicked off the team. I've coached several players on all of the area teams.

I hope Sherando and Millbrook both win it's good for the area. I still say every area team from 2007 could beat this Sherando team. What do you think Hamspear?

Bet I know more , but how about you produce numbers of players and I will go back and review film tonight , we can see if your right. Simple process. I could have been wrong.

Easy Hammy. He's new. Let him learn.

4A Final Salem vs Lake Taylor and I think the game will be a little closer this year but Lake Taylor will win

2A Champs-Appomattox
3A Champs-Phoebus
5A Champs-Toss up between 3 teams
6A Champs- Ocean Lakes

2A Champs-Clarke County
3A Champs-Phoebus
5A Champs-LC Bird
6A Champs- Westfield

I noticed va preps picked woodgrove to win this game, I went on some websites and looked at who they had played and Sherando is at home. I am going to go because it's the only game close to where I live. But I have seen Sherando before and they look really good.

Reactions: mike salem
I will take Woodgrove in this game because they have played a tougher schedule and have been more dominant., I hope its close like you all say it will be.

I will take Woodgrove in this game because they have played a tougher schedule and have been more dominant., I hope its close like you all say it will be.
I have to disagree with you about tougher schedule smallfry, Sherando has played a tougher schedule imo. Woodgrove's toughest opponent was John Champe, their only loss this year. Sherando played 5 teams that have at least 8 wins this year, Woodgrove has played 2 with at least 8 wins.

Almost all the sites have Woodgrove favored , why is that? they have almost identical records. And Woodgrove has a incredible running game from what I am seeing. Who would be your favorite? I have seen Sherando vs EV earlier this year and they were impressive. I was thinking that Woodgrove must have something better than EV, are they better than EV?

Almost all the sites have Woodgrove favored , why is that? they have almost identical records. And Woodgrove has a incredible running game from what I am seeing. Who would be your favorite? I have seen Sherando vs EV earlier this year and they were impressive. I was thinking that Woodgrove must have something better than EV, are they better than EV?
Sherando is one of the best defensive teams against the run. I remember 2 years ago the vaunted Salem offense rolled into Stephens City averaging nearly 40 a game & Salem left with a 7-0 loss.

Tougher schedule? I'm not sure about that. Like I have said before their schedule is made up not to go 10-0, but to prepare them for different types of teams they could face in playoffs.

Sherando is one of the best defensive teams against the run. I remember 2 years ago the vaunted Salem offense rolled into Stephens City averaging nearly 40 a game & Salem left with a 7-0 loss.
Yeah, but this year's offense for Salem is far better than the 2013 offense. Sherando's 2013 defense was a great match up for the offense Salem had that year.

These conversations always turn to who beat who when. I'm not sure that is always the right way to look at it. Sherando is a well coached team, by coaches who have been there done that. The don't have what I would call a game changing star on the team, but have good to very good players at more positions then most teams. Against EV (now in scrimmages and a game) to me I don't think they have very good team speed. When we played them this year we had all our fastest guys on the bench. My son ran for 110 yards against them and I was surprised when he got into the open field, only 1 or 2 kids could catch him. Now he is 6'3 220 lbs and has a best 40 of 4.87. I saw the same thing when they played liberty last year. A backup WR for us in the game broke one and wasn't caught. But there line is very skilled.. wore us down. Woodgroove a few years ago was like that.. are they still like that or do they have some team speed? How experienced is Woodgrooves coaching staff? Do they have good to very good players all over the field? After all the posts in tis thread, I don't know anything about woodgroove :)

Sherando's run defense in my opinion is still top notch if that's all you try to do against them i.e. Millbrook. But if you can find a way to get things going with the pass you can have a little success running the ball. What I mean by little is maybe 3-4 yard gains instead of losses. James Wood had a little success with fullback up them middle, but I think it was more of an element of surprise because they ran Bishop a great portion of the time heading into the game and the fullback probably wasn't on the scouting report. When they played against Fort Hill they tried the same fullback runs and got stuffed most plays if not all because Sherando was prepared for that play. So to answer your question they are not as fast as they were maybe the last two years, but if you want to get in a physical smash mouth game with them they will hold their own.

That's really weird , I was at the Sherando versus Eastern View game and I thought the one thing that stood out to me was that was the difference in the game was Sherando's pursuit on defense. I thought they had great speed, but maybe I just don't know. I agree with the line play, overwhelming dominated by Sherando on the defensive front. Eastern view had a nice looking young running back, very athletic.

Yeah, but this year's offense for Salem is far better than the 2013 offense. Sherando's 2013 defense was a great match up for the offense Salem had that year.
Oh yes, I agree last year's or this year's offense would fare much better against any defense than that '13 squad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT