ADVERTISEMENT

Rd.2 Woodgrove (10-1) vs. Sherando (9-1)

Who wins?

• Woodgrove

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Sherando

Votes: 24 63.2%

• Total voters
These conversations always turn to who beat who when. I'm not sure that is always the right way to look at it. Sherando is a well coached team, by coaches who have been there done that. The don't have what I would call a game changing star on the team, but have good to very good players at more positions then most teams. Against EV (now in scrimmages and a game) to me I don't think they have very good team speed. When we played them this year we had all our fastest guys on the bench. My son ran for 110 yards against them and I was surprised when he got into the open field, only 1 or 2 kids could catch him. Now he is 6'3 220 lbs and has a best 40 of 4.87. I saw the same thing when they played liberty last year. A backup WR for us in the game broke one and wasn't caught. But there line is very skilled.. wore us down. Woodgroove a few years ago was like that.. are they still like that or do they have some team speed? How experienced is Woodgrooves coaching staff? Do they have good to very good players all over the field? After all the posts in tis thread, I don't know anything about woodgroove :)
It's always tough to gauge team speed from week to week... Sherando gave up around 75 yards combined to the FB and HB from Fort Hill on about 25 carries, held Kier and Johnson of Millbrook to roughly 20 carries and 40 yards. I'd say they can run to the ball...

I wouldn't say they have great speed, but they do pursuit well. They are well coached and understand pursuit angles.

I wouldn't say they have great speed, but they do pursuit well. They are well coached and understand pursuit angles.
The best way to beat a good defense is to keep them guessing and to do that you have to be able to run and pass.

The warrior guys here I am talking to say " good luck with that". . They seem pretty confident tonight . I am laughing at them , but they do make a great steak!

At halftime it seems like this is an ineptitude contest by the offenses, with Woodgrove looking better on that side of the ball.

I've lost track of all the boneheaded penalties committed by the Warriors. They've been correctly called, just stupid decisions.

Woodgrove 14, Sherando 7 @ the half.....

Sherando is killing themselves with penalties.
This game might come down to last posession.

Halftime adjustments should be interesting

Sherando gets ball first in 3rd quarter.

The better team won tonight. Warriors didn't play great, but in the playoffs you've got one shot to show what you've got and Woodgrove had the "it" factor tonight.

Best of the luck to the Wolverines in the playoffs! Bad way to end the year as a Sherando fan, but someone's gotta lose.

Warriors never stopped playing hard, but Woodgrove was a little better tonight. When you're inside the 10 yd line in back to back possessions and come out with zero points that will bite you in the end.

Warriors never stopped playing hard, but Woodgrove was a little better tonight. When you're inside the 10 yd line in back to back possessions and come out with zero points that will bite you in the end.
Not being able to run the ball hurt the warriors tonight.

Just got home.

Sherando has a lovely stadium and great atmosphere.

That was anyones ball game until that last TD with 2 minutes to play in game. Woodgrove just could not put Sherando away. I was concerned Sherando would score TD at end and go for 2 points and the win....
Both teams appeared to have jitters early in game?
Those penalties really hurt Sherando throughout game.

Well done Wolverines! Onto Jefferson Forest.

Last edited:
Kudos to the Woodgrove student body, parents & band tonight!!!!

We travelled well tonight; lets make it happen again next Friday night.

I believe the football team will be chartering a fan coach for next weeks game.

You folks played a huge part in the victory tonight!
I love the band playing the reverse music as penalties were being marked off... LOL, I have never heard the band playing that reverse music at a game before.

Guess Woodgrove brought there own refs....geez

That bunch is the local Winchester Association. We are local and thought that some calls were going for Sherando ... especially that interference call that was made on 3rd down that it appeared nobody was touched and it went against Woodgrove and gave Sherando a 1st down.

Can anyone explain why Woodgrove declined a penalty and the result of the play was 1st down Sherando early in 1st quarter?

That bunch is the local Winchester Association. We are local and thought that some calls were going for Sherando ... especially that interference call that was made on 3rd down that it appeared nobody was touched and it went against Woodgrove and gave Sherando a 1st down.

Can anyone explain why Woodgrove declined a penalty and the result of the play was 1st down Sherando early in 1st quarter?

I will be tuning into the coach's talk show on Thursday; hopefully they ask him about it.

I'm thinking it was a spot foul that would have been half the distance to goal and our coaches didn't realize how many yards they got on the run?

Reactions: Daboyz19
I will be tuning into the coach's talk show on Thursday; hopefully they ask him about it.

I'm thinking it was a spot foul that would have been half the distance to goal and our coaches didn't realize how many yards they got on the run?
I think a kid got confused on refs explanation and made the wrong decision. Crazy but it happens sometimes.

I think a kid got confused on refs explanation and made the wrong decision. Crazy but it happens sometimes.

Could be but I gotta believe the coaches made ultimate decision. Somebody will go under the bus; perhaps the refs. Thankfully that fubar didn't cost us the game!

Refs asks the captains for their decision and usually the kid gets the que from coach on the call. Maybe kid got confused on what coach wanted. But it was strange.

11 flags thrown on Sherando and 5 thrown on Woodgrove. Wouldn't call that home cooking.

Refs asks the captains for their decision and usually the kid gets the que from coach on the call. Maybe kid got confused on what coach wanted. But it was strange.

Looking back on last nights game; Sherando played eerily similiar to Woodgrove during that first Woodgrove game of the year vs. Champe.
If you kill yourself with penalties in the red zone & don't come away with points; nothing good can come from it.
You cannot let teams stick around, especially visitors!

Is he the same ref that kept Sherando in the game the first half against FH? Man those calls were drive killers for FH and drive extenders for Sherando... Word is Hamspear is on suicide watch again....:D

LOL he probably knew what was coming against you guys... And he packed his bags a little early...

Naw...
Hamspear has passion for his team; I respect that!
This forum chose Sherando to win 66% to 33%.
Woodgrove has no superstars this year.
We are a blue collar team that plays self controlled, no huddle, smash mouth football.

48 minutes of HELL is the team motto and they know how to win. We have an awesome coach and staff and I am enjoying this playoff run.

Perhaps Woodgrove gets some more respect going forward.

Naw...
Hamspear has passion for his team; I respect that!
This forum chose Sherando to win 66% to 33%.
Woodgrove has no superstars this year.
We are a blue collar team that plays self controlled, no huddle, smash mouth football.

48 minutes of HELL is the team motto and they know how to win. We have an awesome coach and staff and I am enjoying this playoff run.

Perhaps Woodgrove gets some more respect going forward.
The fake punt wasn't a very good call. If Sherando wouldn't have got that cheap TD who knows what the score would've been like.

Reactions: Tom Potter

It was my understanding that local refs were not allowed in a playoff game. Might be a good question for the Coachs talk show.

It was my understanding that local refs were not allowed in a playoff game. Might be a good question for the Coachs talk show.

Duly noted!

Hey Troy Bye, inquiring minds have two questions for you and Coach Skinner.

I don't know if they will open up the refs "can of worms" though...
I didn't have any complaints from game concerning refs.

If anybody has some time to kill and is interested in Woodgrove Nation Football; check out the free access Coach Skinner show podcasts @

http://www.wlsn.net/wolverines-interviews

Coach Skinner is a hoot and he has been in the business 30+ years. The shows also contain interviews with Woodgrove alumni football players who moved on to college ball!

The fake punt wasn't a very good call. If Sherando wouldn't have got that cheap TD who knows what the score would've been like.

I wish Charlie would have had the sense God gave him to kick that ball out of the endzone instead of trying to fall on it!

I think Woodgrove punted 4 times last night; that equals the number of punts we made in the entire regular season.

Unusual MIA's are DanvilleSportsHead, Hamspear and Hoosfan5. I'm sure we'll hear from them eventually and hope they're well.

Only summary Hammy can give is they got beat by a better team. The score should've been worse.
He'll give proper respect to the winner but he may have a different perspective on the game than "the score should have been worse". I think he's being smart by letting everything sink in a day or two before posting what he thought of Friday's game.

He'll give proper respect to the winner but he may have a different perspective on the game than "the score should have been worse". I think he's being smart by letting everything sink in a day or two before posting what he thought of Friday's game.
Sherando couldn't run the ball so they didn't take a lot of time off of the clock. The defense had a hard time getting off the field it seemed like Woodgrove moved the chains. Woodgrove had a great game plan they spread them out and ran the read option. I noticed also they did a good job of rolling out the QB on 3rd down plays and hitting receivers right at the marker with out passes. They're a well coached bunch. The fake punt on their own 10 yard line was the only bad call.

I don't think they had a "great" game plan, they did what they always do. Spread teams out and run. The QB was the difference in this game. Clewis and Kpaduwa combined, didn't rush for 50 yards. They torched Heritage for 250+ easy... The QB rushed and passed for a combined 230+ and made plays when they needed them. Short of that, neither team executed exceptionally well for a playoff game. The fact that Sherando couldn't sustain a consistent run game was problematic and having 2 failed opportunities in the red zone during the first half was not a good sign. Woodgrove's front 7 needs a pat on the back. Another big play was the punt return for a TD! Wow... Talk about huge... Heck of an effort! GL to them as they take on JF. If everyone is healthy and ready to go, that should be a tremendous ballgame. I'd like to see them take the big leap and get another shot at Salem (the last 2 years I think) or Champe (Week 1).

I don't think they had a "great" game plan, they did what they always do. Spread teams out and run. The QB was the difference in this game. Clewis and Kpaduwa combined, didn't rush for 50 yards. They torched Heritage for 250+ easy... The QB rushed and passed for a combined 230+ and made plays when they needed them. Short of that, neither team executed exceptionally well for a playoff game. The fact that Sherando couldn't sustain a consistent run game was problematic and having 2 failed opportunities in the red zone during the first half was not a good sign. Woodgrove's front 7 needs a pat on the back. Another big play was the punt return for a TD! Wow... Talk about huge... Heck of an effort! GL to them as they take on JF. If everyone is healthy and ready to go, that should be a tremendous ballgame. I'd like to see them take the big leap and get another shot at Salem (the last 2 years I think) or Champe (Week 1).
This was exactly the difference in the game , the QB for Woodgrove was good on his feet and ran well. Sherando shut down the running backs of Woodgrove. Sherando had a bad game plan in my opinion. They had a successful drive in the second half when they took a page out of Woodgroves plan by spreading out the defense of Woodgrove, however then came right back the next drive and consistently tried to play the power running game against a stacked box that was not being successful. The other thing that really hurt Sherando was the penalties showed extreme undiscipline behavior for a team this late in the season. Woodgrove just played a better game , good luck to them at JF. If JF struggled with Millbrook , Woodgrove will not have a problem getting to the west final.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT