ADVERTISEMENT

Redskins name is being retired

Continually amazed at people who pretend like they don’t understand the concept of racial/ethnic slurs.

Reactions: Lafayette
I like the redtails name too, however it doesn't really have anything to do with Washington D.C. The Redtails was the nickname of the Tuskegee Airmen heroes of WW2. I'd say that Alabama and that region would have a better claim to that nickname. What about the Washington Snakeheads? A vicious non-native species of fish released into the Potomac.

You can actually bet on which name will be chosen. Right now Redtails 3:1, Generals 4:1, & Presidents 5:1.

I've also seen RedWolves, and Warriors suggested.

Reactions: WP02alum
Only issue is the Washington Generals is the name of the team that has lost every game to the Harlem Globetrotters lol

Oh I’m very aware. Not a fan of the team, so I think it’s awesome and hilarious that they could be the Generals!

Reactions: aw19752
Only issue is the Washington Generals is the name of the team that has lost every game to the Harlem Globetrotters lol
NOT TRUE!!!!! According to the Washington Generals wikipedia page:

Figures vary as to exactly how often the Generals have beaten their rivals. Some reports say six,[12] while the team's official website reports having three victories over the Globetrotters, one each in 1954, 1958 and 1971.[13] The 1971 win is the most storied of these, and is sometimes reported as the team's sole victory.[2]

Playing as the New Jersey Reds, they won 100–99 on January 5, 1971 in Martin, Tennessee, ending their 2,495-game losing streak. Klotz credits the overtime win to a guard named Eddie Mahar, who was team captain.[19] Harlem's captain, Curly Neal, did not play in this game.[20]

While the Globetrotters were entertaining the crowd that day, they lost track of the game and the score. They found themselves down 12 points with two minutes left to go. Forced to play normal basketball, the Globetrotters rallied but could not recover.[21]

The Reds secured their victory when the 50-year-old Klotz hit the winning basket with seconds left. Then Meadowlark Lemon missed a shot that would have given the game back to the Globetrotters. The timekeeper tried to stop the clock but could not. When the final buzzer sounded, the crowd was dumbfounded and disappointed.[5] Klotz described the fans' reaction: "They looked at us like we killed Santa Claus."

Some children in the stands cried after the loss.[20] The Reds celebrated by dousing themselves with orange soda instead of champagne. Lemon was furious, saying, "You lost, I didn't lose," but still visited the opposing team’s locker room to congratulate the Reds.[5]

NOT TRUE!!!!! According to the Washington Generals wikipedia page:

Figures vary as to exactly how often the Generals have beaten their rivals. Some reports say six,[12] while the team's official website reports having three victories over the Globetrotters, one each in 1954, 1958 and 1971.[13] The 1971 win is the most storied of these, and is sometimes reported as the team's sole victory.[2]

Playing as the New Jersey Reds, they won 100–99 on January 5, 1971 in Martin, Tennessee, ending their 2,495-game losing streak. Klotz credits the overtime win to a guard named Eddie Mahar, who was team captain.[19] Harlem's captain, Curly Neal, did not play in this game.[20]

While the Globetrotters were entertaining the crowd that day, they lost track of the game and the score. They found themselves down 12 points with two minutes left to go. Forced to play normal basketball, the Globetrotters rallied but could not recover.[21]

The Reds secured their victory when the 50-year-old Klotz hit the winning basket with seconds left. Then Meadowlark Lemon missed a shot that would have given the game back to the Globetrotters. The timekeeper tried to stop the clock but could not. When the final buzzer sounded, the crowd was dumbfounded and disappointed.[5] Klotz described the fans' reaction: "They looked at us like we killed Santa Claus."

Some children in the stands cried after the loss.[20] The Reds celebrated by dousing themselves with orange soda instead of champagne. Lemon was furious, saying, "You lost, I didn't lose," but still visited the opposing team’s locker room to congratulate the Reds.[5]
Clarke I wasn't born when they had their last victory against the Globetrotters in 1971. So I'll rephrase and say they haven't beaten them in my lifetime lol.

So you actually witnessed this? Lol
Sadly, no. I did get to see the Globetrotters play at MSG when I was a kid and it was more than likely around that time frame. I remember we took a bus, so I'm pretty certain that it was an IBM sponsored trip, as my father worked for them when we lived in NY. I actually also waited on Curly Neal when he was in the Winchester area back in the late 90's I believe it was. A really cool guy. Signed an autograph for my daughter.

Reactions: aw19752
So if the team was called the Washington N-words and nobody had changed the name yet you'd be fine with this, right? The racism isn't what bothers you, it's being mad at change.

it’s not being mad at change, it’s silly really, you can’t eat syrup, wear a t shirt, or root for a team anymore because if you do, your racist, now really, how many times you heard the words Washington Redskins and the 1st thing that popped in your head was, that’s wrong? Or a racist name? I doubt you have

Better yet, how many times have you ate pancakes with aunt Jemima syrup and thought that was racist, you didn’t, you thought damn this is some good syrup

cmon man, let’s be real here

Reactions: gwb16 and 7time
I like the redtails name too, however it doesn't really have anything to do with Washington D.C. The Redtails was the nickname of the Tuskegee Airmen heroes of WW2. I'd say that Alabama and that region would have a better claim to that nickname. What about the Washington Snakeheads? A vicious non-native species of fish released into the Potomac.
Redskins had nothing to do with DC either. Also with Redtails, they wouldn't have to alter the R logo.

Reactions: Lafayette
So if the team was called the Washington N-words and nobody had changed the name yet you'd be fine with this, right? The racism isn't what bothers you, it's being mad at change. Like, walk us all through your thought process here on why an obviously racist name needs to stick around, I'm sure we'd love to be enlightened.
Amen! I'll be honest and admit I was ignorant to the fact that Redskins was a racist term until a few years ago. I think a lot of football fans just didn't know. But I think you explained it very clearly for those who didn't know. It's the equivalent for native americans.

Reactions: WP02alum
This is the time we’re living in. Apparently, this has been a huge controversy since 92, way before my time, so kuddos to their organization for making the change. Call them the Washington Veterans to honor all American heroes, including my father, who served in the military. White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Latin.. All for one and one for all!

it’s not being mad at change, it’s silly really, you can’t eat syrup, wear a t shirt, or root for a team anymore because if you do, your racist, now really, how many times you heard the words Washington Redskins and the 1st thing that popped in your head was, that’s wrong? Or a racist name? I doubt you have

Better yet, how many times have you ate pancakes with aunt Jemima syrup and thought that was racist, you didn’t, you thought damn this is some good syrup

Even though I wish your mindset wasn't so strong about "it's always been this way" you do make some good points. Fortunately or "unfortunately" due to recent events there is finally some real changes for certain things. But you're absolutely correct with the syrup example. I just hope you become more open minded and see the big picture of why certain changes are happening. Like I said in an earlier post you've been posting for a while and has contributed a lot to the boards so no ill feelings towards you.

I like Mrs. Butterworth's over Aunt Jemima for syrup. Aunt Jemima's pancake mix can't be beat though!

Even though I wish your mindset wasn't so strong about "it's always been this way" you do make some good points. Fortunately or "unfortunately" due to recent events there is finally some real changes for certain things. But you're absolutely correct with the syrup example. I just hope you become more open minded and see the big picture of why certain changes are happening. Like I said in an earlier post you've been posting for a while and has contributed a lot to the boards so no ill feelings towards you.
No hard feelings towards you either, just a conversation that’s all

I've yet to see people actually described as racist for cheering for the Redskins or the Indians in baseball, it's just a racist name and you know it. Protesters aren't mad at fans, they're mad at owners. None of this stuff appeared two months ago out of the blue, now is simply when the changes are being enacted. People have been calling this stuff out for decades and now enough people have agreed and that's how we get change. Women didn't pop out of the woodwork a month before suffrage was enacted in 1920, black people didn't have to ask nicely one time to get the Civil Rights Act signed, gay people didn't miracle gay marriage into being with a snap of the fingers, all of that stuff was rooted in decades of work designed to enact change upon how people want their society to function and progress.

I've yet to see people actually described as racist for cheering for the Redskins or the Indians in baseball, it's just a racist name and you know it. Protesters aren't mad at fans, they're mad at owners. None of this stuff appeared two months ago out of the blue, now is simply when the changes are being enacted. People have been calling this stuff out for decades and now enough people have agreed and that's how we get change. Women didn't pop out of the woodwork a month before suffrage was enacted in 1920, black people didn't have to ask nicely one time to get the Civil Rights Act signed, gay people didn't miracle gay marriage into being with a snap of the fingers, all of that stuff was rooted in decades of work designed to enact change upon how people want their society to function and progress.
I never had a problem with gay marriage. I mean, if they want the chance to be miserable too, why not let them? :D

Again, not mad about change, just the way its being done, Target, Amazon, all stopped selling Redskins apparel, even Walmart, YEP Walmart, but yet they sell guns?

You're right protesters are not mad at fans, (for example) I don't think they know who they are mad at, half of the protesters here in the 757 are either not from here, or don't have a clue who any of the people in statues that they knock down are.

With Covid going on, and defund the police, ripping down history in the streets, people really want to bitch and moan about a team nickname, syrup, a T-Shirt that Oak St football coach had on?

Please, I'm not buying it, bigger fish to fry in the country today, then this petty stuff.

Reactions: gwb16 and 7time
This is a great argument used by people who never want to see change. What you just said was entirely subjective and the onus isn't on you to be the arbiter of what needs to be worked on as a society. Like I said, this has been something (the Redskins name) that has been talked about for almost thirty years now and for most of that time, people largely ignored it. In the wake of George Floyd's death and, to be frank, a lot of time on people's hands due to COVID, some are again calling for change on a variety of things and society gets to again sit down and decide whether they want to hear the arguments and agree or disagree with them. Again, that's how change works. It's not some overnight cleanup, it comes on years and years of hard work and effort with the hope that eventually public opinion changes and something happens that can help bring the issue to the forefront for another national discussion. We shouldn't have the statues of born losers in our streets, there's enough winners in this country to take their place, and we shouldn't be using racist names and caricatures in consumer goods and sports teams. I'm sure you know well enough (or god I hope you do) that saying the n-word and minstrel shows aren't acceptable in today's society but believe it or not there was a time when both were (way too recent for the former, unfortunately) and believe it or not there were people just like you saying there were bigger issues to deal with than whether it was OK to just call black people the n-word but somehow I doubt you'd be agreeing with them on that front.

Is something like ensuring cops start treating POC like they do white people instead of like target practice a bigger issue than getting a sports team to change its name? Absolutely. But both are frayed strings attached to the same ball of yarn and both need to be cut off before the yarn becomes usable.
I’m black and want change, but there are bigger fish to fry than statues (that does represent history; love it or hate it) and a small percentage of cops, that are bad and corrupt that need to lose their jobs. There are racists in all professions and luckily the good thing about these days, they are being exposed. Whether they’re policemen, teachers, coaches, etc. What happened to Floyd and the young man in Colorado is freaking terrible, but what about that 11 year old baby watching fireworks in DC on July 4? Haven’t heard BLM say a thing. His killer is out on bond now. Where’s the outrage??? BIGGER FISH TO FRY.

I teach my students to address & solve issues as they encounter them. I feel like the “bigger fish to fry” argument falls way short of the message I give to my students. There are always bigger fish to fry in most situations. I don’t think rectifying this issue takes away from ANYONE’s ability to address larger issues that are more meaningful.

I’m black and want change, but there are bigger fish to fry than statues (that does represent history; love it or hate it) and a small percentage of cops, that are bad and corrupt that need to lose their jobs. There are racists in all professions and luckily the good thing about these days, they are being exposed. Whether they’re policemen, teachers, coaches, etc. What happened to Floyd and the young man in Colorado is freaking terrible, but what about that 11 year old baby watching fireworks in DC on July 4? Haven’t heard BLM say a thing. His killer is out on bond now. Where’s the outrage??? BIGGER FISH TO FRY.

Statues can go in museums, that's kind of what museums are for in the first place.

" We shouldn't have the statues of born losers in our streets, there's enough winners in this country to take their place, and we shouldn't be using racist names and caricatures in consumer goods and sports teams. "

With all due respect, the "born losers in our streets" is history, nothing less, nothing more, it does show a resemblance of where we were and where we are today. Sure they're a lot of "born winners" in this country, but this isn't a participation award to get a statue at our capitol, or at city square.

"Bigger fish to fry" is a figure of speech, it also means, more important issues to worry about then a teams nickname again. (I'm sure you know that with the way you articulate your messages)

Why are we pretending like we can’t multitask? Let’s fry small and large fish simultaneously. If they both need to be fried, let’s fry em up. We got time.

Reactions: 1MoreHokie
Why are we pretending like we can’t multitask? Let’s fry small and large fish simultaneously. If they both need to be fried, let’s fry em up. We got time.

Why are you pretending 1 isn't more important then the other? Sure we can multitask, but its kind of hard to clean up my business from the protests plus keeping up to date on which syrup I can purchase or T-shirt I'm allowed by society to wear. I'm only 1 man sir

Statues can go in museums, that's kind of what museums are for in the first place.
Those statues have been up for years.. Way longer than I’ve been born. I haven’t missed not one meal, I got a great education at a great university (only person in my high school graduating class with a Master’s degree and I went to an all white high school), and was blessed by God with a great career. Yes, those statues represent the bad of history, but it’s still history and Monument Ave in Richmond is named Monument Ave for a reason. They’ve taken the racist statues down and guess who’s statue will suffer next & be taken down? Arthur Ashe. We can’t rewrite history. Those inanimate objects, who happened to be losers, mean nothing to me, but it is history love it or not. I’m more concerned with redlining, school to prison pipeline, wiping out this garbage that these rappers put in our children’s ears, institutional racism, and these innocent lives being lost.

BTW, great call for the Skins to change their names. It was very offensive to the Natives and the same as us blacks being called coons or the n-word.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT