ADVERTISEMENT

Redskins name is being retired

Why are you pretending 1 isn't more important then the other? Sure we can multitask, but its kind of hard to clean up my business from the protests plus keeping up to date on which syrup I can purchase or T-shirt I'm allowed by society to wear. I'm only 1 man sir

The onus for changing a lot of these products (small fish) is on the producer IMO. People who harshly judge a consumer for purchasing a certain brand of syrup are sad people. Reasonable people know that most consumers shouldn’t be held personally accountable for that change occurring.

Since you are just one man, and your limited time can only be focused on large-scale change, can you describe what efforts you are taking to change the name of the Washington football team? Otherwise, how is it taking up your limited time? What other large-scale change are you devoting your time toward? Genuine questions.

Why are we pretending like we can’t multitask? Let’s fry small and large fish simultaneously. If they both need to be fried, let’s fry em up. We got time.
I’m with you 10000%! My problem is, let’s work on ourselves while working on other things. That’s step 1 and should always be number 1. It’s an old gospel song call Sweep Around Your Own Front Door, Before You Try To Sweep Around Mine. I’m all for protesting the injustices and the oppression of minorities, but we have to put in the work too. Can’t continuously critique the white man for being racists while still robbing, killing and stealing from your own and NOBODY speaks out on it. Society is poorly led. One fake news source will get 10s of thousands in retweets. If we spent the time educating ourselves and working on ourselves and being unified as we do dividing.. Our country would be in great shape.

The onus for changing a lot of these products (small fish) is on the producer IMO. People who harshly judge a consumer for purchasing a certain brand of syrup are sad people. Reasonable people know that most consumers shouldn’t be held personally accountable for that change occurring.

Since you are just one man, and your limited time can only be focused on large-scale change, can you describe what efforts you are taking to change the name of the Washington football team? Otherwise, how is it taking up your limited time? What other large-scale change are you devoting your time toward? Genuine questions.

Why do I need to take my time and effort to change the name of the Washington Redskins? I don't agree with it, so no need for me to sit outside somewhere and pout about a name that a native Indian himself designed the logo for. No thank you

Great questions, only large scale thing I devote my time is my wife and family, I work everyday to provide for my family.

What about yourself?

Why do I need to take my time and effort to change the name of the Washington Redskins? I don't agree with it, so no need for me to sit outside somewhere and pout about a name that a native Indian himself designed the logo for. No thank you

Great questions, only large scale thing I devote my time is my wife and family, I work everyday to provide for my family.

What about yourself?

It’s like you’re not following. I’m going to paraphrase for brevity.

You said: Name shouldn’t change. There are bigger fish to fry.

I said: Name should change. It’s a slur. Why not fry all the fish that need frying

You said: It’s hard to keep track of what’s ok or not. (<-something I understand & agree with) BUT YOU FOLLOWED UP WITH: I’m just one man sir.

So my response about “what are you doing to take your time away from those larger issues” is in direct response to those statements. Sorry for misunderstanding, but your “I’m just one man sir” comment makes me think you’re trying to affect larger change, but can’t due to this pro team in DC changing their name. Can you see my logic?

Who should be frying the bigger fish instead of this smaller one? Are you saying they should change their priorities? And what would you propose they focus on?

Reactions: aw19752
And is anyone asking you to pout about any of this? Again, genuine question. It seems like you have concerns about what other people want you to do. Are you being asked to do things you don’t want to do lately?

Whenever I would go watch the races at RIR, I enjoyed coming down Monument Ave. What a beautiful tree lined neighborhood.
Monument Ave is a gorgeous place. I was always taught to respect history whether it’s good or bad. My dad would always use the bad as appreciation of the good we have today. There is a long ways to go but it feels good to have friends of different backgrounds, whether they’re LGBTQ+, Muslim, Atheist, Christian, White or whatever.. We’re all brothers and sisters in this crazy thing called life. Statues don’t define the love we should have for one another, but be used to see how far we’ve come as a nation. I’m a believer that we must teach our children all of history, the good and the bad.

Last edited:
Is something like ensuring cops start treating POC like they do white people instead of like target practice a bigger issue than getting a sports team to change its name? Absolutely. But both are frayed strings attached to the same ball of yarn and both need to be cut off before the yarn becomes usable.
Per police encounter, blacks and whites get killed by the police at similar rates.

Common statement to reduce BLM....
It is an accurate statement. I really don't care if an accurate statement reduces BLM.

If I wanted to attack BLM, I would discuss the fact that it is primarily a funding tool for democratic politicians but masquerades as something else. Or that it has a known convicted terrorist on it's board of directors. Or that the actual founders of BLM openly admit to being Marxists. I could go on...

Reactions: gwb16
It is an accurate statement. I really don't care if an accurate statement reduces BLM.

If I wanted to attack BLM, I would discuss the fact that it is primarily a funding tool for democratic politicians but masquerades as something else. Or that it has a known convicted terrorist on it's board of directors. Or that the actual founders of BLM openly admit to being Marxists. I could go on...
Your opinion not stopping the movement so get whatever off your chest lol

Reactions: LionNation540
And is anyone asking you to pout about any of this? Again, genuine question. It seems like you have concerns about what other people want you to do. Are you being asked to do things you don’t want to do lately?

No sir, no one has asked to me to do anything, but you felt compelled to comment rudely on my original post.

But a question for you, is your life now different that the name of “Redskins” is now retired? Before you close your eyes tonight, will you say to yourself, “ chalk one up for the good guys”

I don’t think you will, and if the name didn’t change, it wouldn’t have been any different in your life or mine

see the thing is, everyone has a voice, that’s our freedom and right, but not every voice needs to be heard

take that however you like

but this isn't a participation award to get a statue at our capitol, or at city square.

TIL losing a war whose chief purpose was the literal enslavement of another race is worthy of a statue in cities across this country. Oh wait, that's like the literal definition of a participation trophy.

No sir, no one has asked to me to do anything, but you felt compelled to comment rudely on my original post.

But a question for you, is your life now different that the name of “Redskins” is now retired? Before you close your eyes tonight, will you say to yourself, “ chalk one up for the good guys”

I don’t think you will, and if the name didn’t change, it wouldn’t have been any different in your life or mine

see the thing is, everyone has a voice, that’s our freedom and right, but not every voice needs to be heard

Thats a strange way to answer my question. My life is unchanged about the slur name being the same or changed. It’s about what’s right for a lot of people. Slowly eliminating slurs from common use will positively impact society moving forward (my opinion).

I truly apologize that I came across rude in any of my posts to you. Wasn’t my intent. Sometimes, when words sting it’s due to feeling convicted within. But again, not my intent to be rude or even attack your thoughts. Just trying to line up the logic on this as it’s very difficult for me to understand.

TIL losing a war whose chief purpose was the literal enslavement of another race is worthy of a statue in cities across this country. Oh wait, that's like the literal definition of a participation trophy.

Is it really though? Participation trophy is wanted by the people trying to rip down the statues and wrecking havoc on a business because they think they are going to get noticed for doing something right in their eyes.

again, everyone has a voice, but not everyone needs to be heard

includes you and I sir

Reactions: 7time and falcettik

I don’t disagree with you. If the movement was about all it claims to be, there would be someone speaking out on all the black lives being lost and negatively impacted daily over senseless things. Whether a white person was the cause or black. It shouldn’t matter, however they profit off of adverse incidents between whites and blacks. Black lives should matter all of the time, not just when it involves someone of a different race.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Avenue

Above is the premise of Monument Ave where the monuments are located. Feel free to read and educate yourself.

Richmond isn't the only place in the country with statues of Confederate losers.

I'm also assuming you realize most of these statues weren't put up after the war ended (as in right after) but rather in the 20th century after Jim Crow laws were enacted to romanticize the Civil War and remind blacks of their place in society. I'm also assuming you realize Robert E Lee was vehemently against statues of himself or the Confederacy being erected as he said they served no purpose beyond continuing strife. Yet trash racists put them up against his wishes. In an ironic sense, you could say we'd be fulfilling his wishes by taking them down.

https://leefamilyarchive.org/papers/letters/transcripts-UVA/v076.html

As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated; my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country, would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; & of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour. All I think that can now be done, is to aid our noble & generous women in their efforts to protect the graves & mark the last resting places of those who have fallen, & wait for better times.

Ultimately, if your point is to educate then the statues should be doing so. The Confederate memorial statue in Roanoke they're going to take down isn't an educational tool. The Germans left places like Auschwitz up as a reminder of what happened. It's not celebrated, it's a somber tool used to show people how horrifying people can be to one another. Nobody is at Gettysburg asking them to repurpose the battlefield, they have tours there, people learn about how a bunch of radical extremists whose main goal was the enslavement of so-called inferior peoples nearly tore this country apart trying to achieve their goal. These statues are a glorification of men who in no way, shape, or form need glorifying and certainly not the cause they fought for either. Like I said, take them down and put them in a museum and then they can be used to teach.

Reactions: EBLR
Is it really though? Participation trophy is wanted by the people trying to rip down the statues and wrecking havoc on a business because they think they are going to get noticed for doing something right in their eyes.

again, everyone has a voice, but not everyone needs to be heard

includes you and I sir

You realize the colonists tore down statues of King George, right?

Richmond isn't the only place in the country with statues of Confederate losers.

I'm also assuming you realize most of these statues weren't put up after the war ended (as in right after) but rather in the 20th century after Jim Crow laws were enacted to romanticize the Civil War and remind blacks of their place in society. I'm also assuming you realize Robert E Lee was vehemently against statues of himself or the Confederacy being erected as he said they served no purpose beyond continuing strife. Yet trash racists put them up against his wishes. In an ironic sense, you could say we'd be fulfilling his wishes by taking them down.

https://leefamilyarchive.org/papers/letters/transcripts-UVA/v076.html

As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated; my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country, would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; & of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour. All I think that can now be done, is to aid our noble & generous women in their efforts to protect the graves & mark the last resting places of those who have fallen, & wait for better times.

Ultimately, if your point is to educate then the statues should be doing so. The Confederate memorial statue in Roanoke they're going to take down isn't an educational tool. The Germans left places like Auschwitz up as a reminder of what happened. It's not celebrated, it's a somber tool used to show people how horrifying people can be to one another. Nobody is at Gettysburg asking them to repurpose the battlefield, they have tours there, people learn about how a bunch of radical extremists whose main goal was the enslavement of so-called inferior peoples nearly tore this country apart trying to achieve their goal. These statues are a glorification of men who in no way, shape, or form need glorifying and certainly not the cause they fought for either. Like I said, take them down and put them in a museum and then they can be used to teach.
Legit question here, and don’t take this the wrong way what so ever

But how hold are you? You seem awful sensitive about something things.

What statues would you put up to replace the current ones?, legit question

Are you on the petition to change Lee High school? What about Stonewall Jackson?

just curious

You realize the colonists tore down statues of King George, right?

you realize that most of the protesters were/are white millennials that have no clue about the struggle or what it’s like to live in certain areas in the city, and clam up every time someone steps to them and asks why? Or what’s your cause?

Legit question here, and don’t take this the wrong way what so ever

But how hold are you? You seem awful sensitive about something things.

What statues would you put up to replace the current ones?, legit question

Are you on the petition to change Lee High school? What about Stonewall Jackson?

just curious

Old enough to know that a civilized society who says they've moved on and wants to treat everyone as equals doesn't hold up people from a group of secessionists who fought a war over the enslavement of other people as war heroes. Old enough to know that a group of cowardly states who seceded for five years and FAILED isn't worth erecting statues and naming schools after and that plenty of decent Americans have come and gone who were more than worthy of such honor.

Which petitions exactly? If I was presented with pen and paper petitions I'd sign them yes but change.org petitions don't really do much.

Instead of Confederate war hero statues? How about Jane Addams, the first American woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize? How about Norman Borlaug, whose work with wheat saved the lives of a billion people? Roanoke's taking down a statue, why not Roanoker Henrietta Lacks, whose cell line has been a cornerstone in medical research for 40+ years now? How about Mildred and Richard Loving, the mixed couple whose landmark Supreme Court win struck down Virginia's disgusting anti-miscegenation laws? How about educator Booker T. Washington? You want war heroes, how about legendary hero Audie Murphy or General of the Army George Marshall.

The point is we have an endless supply of actual heroes who either lack recognition in many ways or simply are so good there isn't enough recognition that we don't need to resort to keeping up statues of losers who contributed nothing but death and suffering on this country and its peoples.

Last edited:

Stop ignoring native Americans' voices then.

Reactions: aw19752
What makes you think that anything you said matters to me? I'm done with this conversation Shabutie.
The fact that you responded to my posts multiple times. Now you are running because you can't refute what I said, even though you have suggested that the things I said weren't facts.

Reactions: gwb16 and Rev_Real
Stop ignoring native Americans' voices then.
Many Native Americans have said that they are honored and in favor of having an NFL team named after them. Do their voices also matter?

Also, many polls find that the vast majority of Native Americans participating in the survey are not offended by the team name. This is one of many and it is done by a media source that has repeatedly criticized the name and have actively advocated for it to be changed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

The fact that you responded to my posts multiple times. Now you are running because you can't refute what I said, even though you have suggested that the things I said weren't facts.
I'm sorry if I realized you're a racist and decided not to argue with you. This is what you do when you're losing control of your racist beliefs. Now those are facts.

I'm sorry if I realized you're a racist and decided not to argue with you. This is what you do when you're losing control of your racist beliefs. Now those are facts.
Wow!!! Name calling a last resort for ya Ken?

but when they helped design the logo? Smh

Many Native Americans have said that they are honored and in favor of having an NFL team named after them. Do their voices also matter?

Also, many polls find that the vast majority of Native Americans participating in the survey are not offended by the team name. This is one of many and it is done by a media source that has repeatedly criticized the name and have actively advocated for it to be changed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html
There are no tribes named the Redskins. That's the point.

Those statues have been up for years.. Way longer than I’ve been born. I haven’t missed not one meal, I got a great education at a great university (only person in my high school graduating class with a Master’s degree and I went to an all white high school), and was blessed by God with a great career. Yes, those statues represent the bad of history, but it’s still history and Monument Ave in Richmond is named Monument Ave for a reason. They’ve taken the racist statues down and guess who’s statue will suffer next & be taken down? Arthur Ashe. We can’t rewrite history. Those inanimate objects, who happened to be losers, mean nothing to me, but it is history love it or not. I’m more concerned with redlining, school to prison pipeline, wiping out this garbage that these rappers put in our children’s ears, institutional racism, and these innocent lives being lost.

BTW, great call for the Skins to change their names. It was very offensive to the Natives and the same as us blacks being called coons or the n-word.
Why would they take Arthur Ashe's statue down? Did I miss something?

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Changing a name or a logo and tearing down statues will unfortunately not rid the world of hate. The civil war did not stop people from being hateful and neither will this. There’s people who are happy about the change being made but at the same time it is enraging others.

It’s frustrating to say but I don’t know if the world makes any progress by making these changes. For the record it doesn’t matter to me one way or the other, I have Indian blood myself from Cherokee and it not once did I think of it as an insult. Actually thought it was kind of cool to have a professional team named after those that inhabited the land before It was made.

I see the conversation is mostly not one anymore. Just people posting. Not many willing to read, digest and engage honestly. I’ll just end my piece on this subject by saying this. Using a slur is wrong & history tends to laugh at people who excuse slurs as justified or harmless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT