Region 3C Boys Bracket

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
Region 3C Boys Bracket
1st Rd Tues Feb 21
#1 Spotswood (21-2) vs #8/9 winner Fort/LCA
#4 Wilson Memorial (16-6) vs #5 Rustburg (13-9)

#3 Fluvanna (16-7) vs #6 Charlottesville (12-10)
#2 Staunton (18-4) vs #7/10 winner Heritage/Broadway

2nd Rd Thurs Feb 23
Champ Sat Feb 25

I'm calling Spotswood-Cville title game. Don't be fooled by our record, if we can put together 4 quarters, we are the 2nd best team in the region. We held 4th quarter leads in 6 of our 10 losses. (Albemarle, Western, Fleming, Smithfield, Riverside, Fluvanna) Had a head scratching season opening loss to Broadway who we later beat by 30. Got blown out by Albemarle twice and Western once for the other losses. Bobby Gardner of Fluvanna is the best player in the region though so Rd 1 rubber match should be a tremendous game.

Last edited:
Region 3C Boys Bracket
1st Rd Tues Feb 21
#1 Spotswood (21-2) vs #8 Heritage-Lyn (11-10)

#2 Staunton (18-4) vs #7 Liberty Christian (11-9)

2nd Rd Thurs Feb 23
Champ Sat Feb 25

I'm calling Spotswood-Cville title game. Don't be fooled by our record, if we can put together 4 quarters, we are the 2nd best team in the region. We held 4th quarter leads in 6 of our 10 losses. (Albemarle, Western, Fleming, Smithfield, Riverside, Fluvanna) Had a head scratching season opening loss to Broadway who we later beat by 30. Got blown out by Albemarle twice and Western once for the other losses. Bobby Gardner of Fluvanna is the best player in the region though so Rd 1 rubber match should be a tremendous game.

I do think we can make some noise, just got a super tough draw with Fluvanna. Beat them by 16 on our home floor before losing by 3 at their place. No disrespect to Staunton but I would much rather play them first round. We already beat Wilson by 25+ twice.

Spotswood should win the region, but they can be inconsistent due to their youth. Beat Fluvanna by 24 among other impressive wins but only beat Wilson 42-36. I think it could be anyone's region. I just hope this is Charlottesville's year to finally break through to states. If they can win at Fluvanna I would favor them over Staunton/LCA. Spotswood should have little trouble making the region final.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Charlottesville also pretty young this year, lose two important starters but Yates and Matic are both juniors and the starting PG is only a freshmen, so hopefully will be able to amass a decent amount of wins next year jumping back up to 4D. Yates will probably be the favorite to win district POY next year and if Matic can continue making steps he will be tough for anyone to guard (6'7). Should be a fun playoffs, unfortunately I think Cave Spring/Northside will beat both teams that come out of the region.

I don't think you have that all the way correct

FRI 8 Fort/9 LCA winner to 1 Spotswood on TUE
5 Rustburg at 4 Wilson on TUE
6 C'ville at 3 Fluvanna onTUE
FRI 7 Heritage/10 Broadway winner at 2 Staunton on TUE

Region 3C Boys Bracket
1st Rd Tues Feb 21

2nd Rd Thurs Feb 23
Champ Sat Feb 25

Spotswood. Vs Fluvanna and Gardner will have his worst game of the season when the Pacheco kids locks in, best onball defender in all of VHSL

Region 3C Boys Quarterfinal Half Rustburg 30 Wilson Memorial 17

End of 1Q: Spotswood 13, Fort Defiance 11. Indians led the entire frame until Camryn Pacheco’s deep 3 at the buzzer gave the Trailblazers the lead.

Region 3C Quarterfinal Third Quarter Rustburg 43 Wilson Memorial 27 The Red Devils continued the defensive pressure they’ve had all game to this point.

Half: Spotswood 30, Fort Defiance 17. Big second quarter for the Trailblazers

End of 3Q: Spotswood 43, Fort Defiance 27. Crowd here at SHS currently standing in applause in celebration of Indians senior guard Tyreek Veney scoring his 1,000th career point.

Boys varsity basketball wins in their regional quarterfinal game 60-40 again Fort. They will play Thursday in the regional semifinal game.

Region 3C Boys Bracket
1st Rd Tues Feb 21

2nd Rd Thurs Feb 23
Champ Sat Feb 25

Quarters
Spotswood 60 Fort Defiance 40
Rustburg 65 Wilson Memorial 51
Charlottesville 59 Fluvanna 58
Staunton 70 Heritage 55

Semi Finals set for Thurs 2/23
#5 Rustburg (14-9) @ #1 Spotswood (22-2)
#6 Charlottesville (13-10) @ #2 Staunton (20-5)

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Charlottesville at Staunton should be a good one. Cville certainly bigger but otherwise pretty similar teams from what I have seen. I give both little chance of knocking off Spotswood, but any team can play great/terrible at any given time. Blazers will cruise by Rustburg.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Charlottesville at Staunton should be a good one. Cville certainly bigger but otherwise pretty similar teams from what I have seen. I give both little chance of knocking off Spotswood, but any team can play great/terrible at any given time. Blazers will cruise by Rustburg.
I saw Staunton vs Spotswood earlier in season and Blazers really controlled that game throughout. #1 and #5 for Staunton stood out to me as guys who could create, score off the dribble and both could shoot. Watching the Heritage game last night, #14 also caught my eye. You are correct that we will hold an edge in overall height and length but athletically it'll be pretty even.
We still haven't played 4 quarters. We started the Fluvanna game on a 16-1 run, led 33-18 at half but only won 59-58. Held Gardner to 17 with our top on ball defender, Angus Munro, out sick (he'll be back tonight). They'll def need to start strong in Hatcher gym as it's a really tough place to play.
Hoping for a good competitive game across the mountain tonight. The way their playing and having home court advantage, Staunton should be slight favorite here. See if the Black Knights can pull another upset to punch state tourney ticket.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
After 1Q Staunton leads Charlottesville 22–4 in Region 3C semifinals.

Halftime Update: 43-29 Staunton boys lead Charlottesville at the break.

Keyshawn Hill with 12 and Nasir Sumpter with eight.

Prodigy Simms with 16 for Lee. Brutal start for CHS — they were down 22-4 to start

Last edited:
End of 1Q: Rustburg 14, Spotswood 12. Jonathan Harding with four early points for the Trailblazers. This one has the potential to be a shootout with these two teams. Red Devils are a very guard-oriented bunch.

Half: Rustburg 23, Spotswood 21. Trailblazers looked out of sorts in the first two quarters, missing several shots in the paint and giving up some open 3s to the Red Devils.

End 3Q Staunton leads Charlottesville 51-45 Region 3C semifinals

Staunton 65
Charlottesville 63

FINAL

Charlottesville’s comeback comes up just short against Staunton in the Region 3C semifinal

End of 3Q: Spotswood 41, Rustburg 32. Trailblazers opened this one up a bit with a tremendous defensive effort in that frame, but Elijah Sherard drills a 3 at the quarter's buzzer to keep the Red Devils in this one.

FINAL: Spotswood 54, Rustburg 34. Big second half from the Trailblazers, who rally from a two-point halftime deficit to earn a #VHSL Class 3 state berth. Spotswood will host No. 2 Staunton on Saturday in the Region 3C title game.

Staunton 65
Charlottesville 63

FINAL

Charlottesville’s comeback comes up just short against Staunton in the Region 3C semifinal
Congrats to Coach Mickens and the Storm. Sims set the tone in that first quarter. Story of the season for CHS, can't put 4 quarters together. All year it had been the 4th qrtr but tonight it was the 22-4 1st quarter tally that they couldn't overcome. Def showed their heart and mettle to battle back from 30-7 2nd qtr deficit.

Staunton should be better prepared for this 2nd meeting with Spotswood but the size on the boards and defensive IQ Spotswood has will likely be the difference. Sims struggled in the first meeting. For Staunton to have any chance, they'll need another 20-25 pt performance from him. I'll say Spotswood by 7. If Staunton had a bit more size, they would have a great shot to win it all. They've got 4 good ball handlers that can all shoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: pizzzzza
Congrats to Coach Mickens and the Storm. Sims set the tone in that first quarter. Story of the season for CHS, can't put 4 quarters together. All year it had been the 4th qrtr but tonight it was the 22-4 1st quarter tally that they couldn't overcome. Def showed their heart and mettle to battle back from 30-7 2nd qtr deficit.

Staunton should be better prepared for this 2nd meeting with Spotswood but the size on the boards and defensive IQ Spotswood has will likely be the difference. Sims struggled in the first meeting. For Staunton to have any chance, they'll need another 20-25 pt performance from him. If Staunton had a bit more size, . They've got 4 good ball handlers that can all shoot.
I've only seen Staunton play a few times, and it seems the 2nd half has been their weakness all season - I don't know how many times I saw them blow leads late in the 3rd Q/4th Q.

Tonight was another example....somehow they hung on!

Spotswood leads Staunton 14-9 after 1Q in Region 3C boys basketball championship game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT