ADVERTISEMENT

Region B: #2 Varina vs. #7 Courtland

Who wins and why?

• Varina

Votes: 24 92.3%
  • Courtland

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Varina wins in a blowout. Courtland does not have a good quarterback, and their offense is not built to play from behind. They are as slow and too methodical up 14 as they are down 7. That's not going to work against Varina. I think Varina wins by four scores.

@BoKnowsSports, slowing the game down is great if you can block the opposing teams d line. Courtland can't manhandle Varina and a lot of their running plays take time to develop. That is surely not the way to the Blue Devils front seven. Besides they can't even set the run up with pass. Courtland may throw it, but Varina's db's will not be fooled. Blue Devils by 14+.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I like Varina. Courtland slowing the game down scares me. What does their defense look like?
They do a decent job of clogging up the interior. A little more suspect out on the edges. They will give receivers some room from the line of scrimmage so it could be a big night for someone with an advantage in a one-on-one matchup. Their defense is also very vulnerable on 10 yard crossing patterns (more so than on deep posts).

If you run up the gut on them, they collapse fairly well. They can frustrate teams as I saw them do against King George.

Courtland is weird. They gave KG everything they could handle but then got mollywhopped by EV. I don't think Courtland will beat Varina, but it could be interesting if the team that went toe to toe with KG shows up.

Reactions: VolNation85
No one can say for sure, but Courtland 's inability to pass and slow developing run game play right into the hands of the Varina defense. The key is will Varina be able to take advantage of the Courtland secondary.

Reactions: Kangarew113
No one can say for sure, but Courtland 's inability to pass and slow developing run game play right into the hands of the Varina defense. The key is will Varina be able to take advantage of the Courtland secondary.
If Varina can stop the run, it should be a pretty easy game. Courtland's QB just can't keep them in it if they have to pass often. Disciplined linebacker play is essential against Courtland's run game though. Lot's of misdirection and hidden handoffs.

Varina doesn't have a consistent offense and Courtland isnt so slow on defense where they can just throw long balls all game. Think this game will end up being pretty close. Something like 21-7

I am going on a limb here and picking Courtland with the upset in a low scoring game. As other's have pointed out, Varina's offense has been too inconsistent. if they can't find a way to score more than 14 then Courtland wins by 3-7 points. Varina might need a defensive or special teams TD to get the win. Courtland will control the clock and win the ST battle to get the "upset."

@VolNation85, I would normally agree with you, but I know Courtland and their offense well. I would be totally shocked if they moved the ball on the ground against Varina. Their front seven is just as good as Phoebus. The Blue Devils can score enough it just will not be pretty.

@VolNation85, I would normally agree with you, but I know Courtland and their offense well. I would be totally shocked if they moved the ball on the ground against Varina. Their front seven is just as good as Phoebus. The Blue Devils can score enough it just will not be pretty.
If Varina switches back to the Freshman QB, they are far more dangerous on offense!

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I hope you are wrong my friend, for the sake of my pride. LOL

Nahhh we need to bet this foolishness you’re talking 😂😂 I respect the pick though! What game you heading to this week?
Haha nah I'm not that confident. I just like rooting for the underdog unless my team is the favorite. 🤣

I might go to KG vs Hanover tonight just because it's nothing else to do tonight and it's in the area. If I go to any tomorrow it will probably be Gainesville @ Colonial Forge just because it's close to where I live. I would like to see Smith vs Glen Allen but I don't think I want to make the drive to Henrico.

Haha nah I'm not that confident. I just like rooting for the underdog unless my team is the favorite. 🤣

I might go to KG vs Hanover tonight just because it's nothing else to do tonight and it's in the area. If I go to any tomorrow it will probably be Gainesville @ Colonial Forge just because it's close to where I live. I would like to see Smith vs Glen Allen but I don't think I want to make the drive to Henrico.
Mannn you’re an hour away, come on to RVA on Friday!!! I am going to EV/Dinwiddie tonight and will probably watch first half of Courtland/Varina and if that’s not close, I’ll make my way out to either Glen Allen/Smith or Freeman/Herm. I’d love to see that Gainesville game too. I’m very familiar with them. They’re a year away but Coach Bruton will be a household name very very soon.

Haha I haven't completely ruled out the drive to Henrico. I will hit you up if I end up going to GA.

I agree about Gainesville and Coach Bruton but I wouldn't be shocked if they won tomorrow. They have an explosive offense so they will be in the game no matter what. If CF is able to run the ball at will then it might be a long night for the Cardinals.

Courtland’s offense is so old fashion and unique that it may catch Varina off guard for awhile. But, I think in the second half Varina adjust and takes care of business.
Correct. Disciplined LB play makes all the difference. Your inside protection in your secondary also should stay alert. I mean it's a strategy and it crushes JV teams, but once the football IQ develops, it's fairly easy to snuff out. They execute it very well though.

Is this game being live streamed anywhere? It doesn't look like it's going to be on NFHS or RVA Sports Production as of now.

Reactions: mbonape1
They have a much better chance than Courtland because of scheme. It’s 2023 about to be 2024 Courtland needs to change its scheme up
Very true. I just don't know what to expect from Varina’s offense. From what I've seen all year I'm inclined to believe I was just totally wrong about Courtland having good athletes, but I don't want to discredit what Varina has done tonight in a playoff game.

Just because i know Huguenot has some guys that can run I think they would give a better matchup even if Powhatan might be better

Varina is the best team in 4B. Their JV team was doing the Courtland starters dirty. Courtland wasn’t a bad team, Varina is elite level with their offense in full swing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT