Region D #1 Salem vs. #8 Amherst Co.

Who Wins?

• Salem

Votes: 35 94.6%
  • Amherst

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know the cliches are worn out, but I don't see Christmas coming early to Amherst this year. This will be over and done with quickly.

They also had a few missing off the B-team that played on the travel football team. Future looks bright if Christmas stays to see them through. I think and hope this game will be closer than the first time they played.

Anyone heard anything about Persinger? Wouldn't be too shocking to not see him this week if he's hurt since Leftwich and Wood can shoulder the load but curious if everything is OK or if we're looking at multiple games without him.

They also had a few missing off the B-team that played on the travel football team. Future looks bright if Christmas stays to see them through. I think and hope this game will be closer than the first time they played.
Herad good things about the travel team as well.

I heard from a player on Salem’s team that Persinger has a broken finger. I would not be shocked to see him play because of the fact that it shouldn’t affect his ability to run. However, I can also see why they would not play him because it might affect him holding onto the ball.

[
Anyone heard anything about Persinger? Wouldn't be too shocking to not see him this week if he's hurt since Leftwich and Wood can shoulder the load but curious if everything is OK or if we're looking at multiple games without him.

QUOTE="MrSalem1000, post: 368046, member: 17662"]I heard from a player on Salem’s team that Persinger has a broken finger. I would not be shocked to see him play because of the fact that it shouldn’t affect his ability to run. However, I can also see why they would not play him because it might affect him holding onto the ball.[/QUOTE]

Salem should be okay in this one. In the season-opener back in August, the Lancers didn’t score against the Spartans’ first team defense; I don’t expect that to change this week. Salem’s offensive line play is also greatly improved since week one.

However, the injury bug is once again rearing its ugly head. Persinger left the Pulaski County game in the second quarter, and did not return. The usual long snapper didn’t play, which led to misadventures on every extra point and field goal attempt. Another player, number 22 I believe, left the game with an injury that appeared fairly serious. Most teams are heading into the postseason while trying to cope with injuries, and Salem is in the same boat.

Salem should be okay in this one. In the season-opener back in August, the Lancers didn’t score against the Spartans’ first team defense; I don’t expect that to change this week. Salem’s offensive line play is also greatly improved since week one.

However, the injury bug is once again rearing its ugly head. Persinger left the Pulaski County game in the second quarter, and did not return. The usual long snapper didn’t play, which led to misadventures on every extra point and field goal attempt. Another player, number 22 I believe, left the game with an injury that appeared fairly serious. Most teams are heading into the postseason while trying to cope with injuries, and Salem is in the same boat.
#22 was Alex Haley this week. He's normally #55 and the starting LG, and then RG (when Fairchilds was out I believe) Against Pulaski he was a 2nd TE in the Jumbo double TE set, hence the number change.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
#22 was Alex Haley this week. He's normally #52 and the starting LG, and then RG (when Fairchilds was out I believe) Against Pulaski he was a 2nd TE in the Jumbo double TE set, hence the number change.

Thanks. More bad news on the O-line, then. Any idea if we’ll see Mr. Haley again this season?

Fun fact: Salem and Amherst County have previously met on nine occasions in the postseason. The winner of the last seven of those meetings has gone on to win the state title - Salem ‘15, AC ‘07 & ‘06, Salem ‘05 & ‘04, Salem ‘99, AC ‘95. In the years of the other two playoff meetings, Amherst was state runner-up in ‘94; Salem lost in the state semis in ‘90.

Reactions: salemfan32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT