ADVERTISEMENT

Region d predictions

Brookville, Byrd, and Rustburg all run a variation of a power run game. May not be I formation every snap but it's the same concept.
Two of the three teams you mentioned are not very good. WB was a scrimmage with basic play calling. Brookville put up 44 in a win.

Two of the three teams you mentioned are not very good. WB was a scrimmage with basic play calling. Brookville put up 44 in a win.
If JF wins good for them. I just don’t see a high scoring game unless Salem scores quick and JF has to play catch-up

I heard Salem is bringing up some players from the undefeated JV team. That might be the X factor.
Really don’t think any JV players will see the field. Salem already has too many sophomores and freshman playing

I got a huge kick of watching Pulaski warm up the other night. They put their second team offense on the field against their first team defense. The second team offense got in Salems Iformation and ran Salem's bread and butter fullback lead off tackle. The Pulaski defense had obviously been coached up and everyone reacted properly and wrapped up the back. Pulaski was not going to let that power run game beat them. Pulaski kicked off into the endzone. Salem got the ball on their own 20. On the first play sure enough Salem is in the I and runs their bread and butter fullback lead off tackle------------------the back goes 80 yards for a touchdown-----so much for preparation. Salem rushes for 325 yards and never throws a pass in the second half. They did throw a small wrinkle in by going double tight.

Why in the world would I make a bet on a high school football game? The teams will show up and both will be ready to play. The game will be won in the trenches. JF will have to win this game with Defense.
Just for fun. No money involved thus, "a friendly bet." The winner gets to admit they were right and the loser has to admit they were wrong.

Which two of the three? Rustburg, I assume? Brookville and Byrd are pretty good. Brookville lost to HHS, Glass, and Liberty. Byrd lost to LB, Northside, and Richlands. And when is Byrd or Salem's play calling not basic?

Just for fun. No money involved thus, "a friendly bet." The winner gets to admit they were right and the loser has to admit they were wrong.
Im good being wrong. Watching the Amherst game now. As good as JF offense is the Defense is polar opposite.

Last edited:
Which two of the three? Rustburg, I assume? Brookville and Byrd are pretty good. Brookville lost to HHS, Glass, and Liberty. Byrd lost to LB, Northside, and Richlands.
Byrd is not very good. They will lose Friday. The records of teams they beat add up to 9-52. They lost to a 5-4 Richlands team at home

Reactions: VolNation85
In good being wrong. Watching the Amherst game now. As good as JF offense is the Defense is polar opposite.
I agree. I don't think they really plan to shut anyone down. They hang their hat on the expectation of scoring 40 plus every game. That's why I said it would be a shootout.

Reactions: SFUWO
I agree. I don't think they really plan to shut anyone down. They hang their hat on the expectation of scoring 40 plus every game. That's why I said it would be a shootout.
You could be right. That’s why I said if Salem scores quick the game will have a high score but if they grind it out it will be in the 20’s or 30’s. Less possession’s equals less points. Tournovers will be huge as well

Reactions: VolNation85
Turnovers and third down stops decide this game. Probably a one or two score difference. 40 something to thirty 30 something game. Who ever wins will be an underdog against Glass.

Uhhhh not sure if you have watched either three of those teams play but, all 3 use lead blockers. If you say they don't, please explain what it is they do.
One of the differences is that those lead blockers are used most often for a QB run. The offensive line zone blocks. Salem rarely runs the QB and their offensive line has specific assignments. Salem will also run quick traps, especially when they are in a split back set. Just because teams run it between the tackles doesn't mean they do it the same way. Knowing what a team does doesn't mean you can stop it. Salem has been doing the same thing for 30 years. They rarely have been stopped. The difference this year is that in years past when teams loaded the box Salem would make you pay with play action or quick passes to game breaker receivers. This year they are not as dangerous when teams load the box.

You could be right. That’s why I said if Salem scores quick the game will have a high score but if they grind it out it will be in the 20’s or 30’s. Less possession’s equals less points. Tournovers will be huge as well
This is true. This year's JF team is relatively undisciplined. They almost always turn the ball over once or twice a game and have a few offsides penalties on O.

Sure was. But there were reasons that Salem lost those close games. Reasons that I identified during Salem's scrimmages. Some of these things Salem has corrected or diminished. Other short comings are not fixable. Salem's ability to run between the tackles is their strength. It allows them to be a ball control team. This also helps their defense. But their lack of game breakers on the perimeter is a huge weakness. There have been glimpses occasionally of perimeter play, but nothing that you can count on. Salem just doesn't have a speed receiver that can scare defenses, stretch the field, or take short passes to the house. This and their youth in the secondary cost Salem three games. This is not something Mags can flip a switch and fix. However, Salem can kick your butt in the trenches and both backs 42 &20 run really hard. They can wear teams down and use ball control to keep that young secondary off the field. Their margin for error is the smallest it's been in five years. Still, a good football team, just limited.
Actually, Salem lost those close games because of penalties and miscommunication in the secondary. Both have improved.

Actually, Salem lost those close games because of penalties and miscommunication in the secondary. Both have improved.
I'm a realist. I don't believe in political correctness or trophies for everyone. I evaluate athletic talent and give my opinion. Also when I evaluate Salem it is with a critical eye. This evaluation is done with State play in mind, not local. How will Salem hold up against the best in the state, not Cave Spring.

One of the differences is that those lead blockers are used most often for a QB run. The offensive line zone blocks. Salem rarely runs the QB and their offensive line has specific assignments. Salem will also run quick traps, especially when they are in a split back set. Just because teams run it between the tackles doesn't mean they do it the same way. Knowing what a team does doesn't mean you can stop it. Salem has been doing the same thing for 30 years. They rarely have been stopped. The difference this year is that in years past when teams loaded the box Salem would make you pay with play action or quick passes to game breaker receivers. This year they are not as dangerous when teams load the box.
Lol That description fits for Byrd but It sounds like you are describing Rustburg and Brookville to a Tee! I agree, that teams running between the tackles aren’t all the same. But JF typically does better against those types of teams compared to a team that likes to get in space. We’ll see how it goes. Personally, I hope Salem wins but I think JF will.

I'm a realist. I don't believe in political correctness or trophies for everyone. I evaluate athletic talent and give my opinion. Also when I evaluate Salem it is with a critical eye. This evaluation is done with State play in mind, not local. How will Salem hold up against the best in the state, not Cave Spring.
I can appreciate that. Not many of us around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT