ADVERTISEMENT

Rocktown High and Harrisonburg High

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
The city of Harrisonburg decided on the new high school-Rocktown High (sick name IMO). Colors will be red and black, haven't decided on a mascot yet.

I've heard that it will be a Class 3 school. Does anyone know if this is true? I know the current HHS is built for about 1300 students, about a Class 4 school, but currently they hold over 1800. I'm guessing they will cut that population about in half, probably leaving about 1000 at HHS and giving Rocktown 800, which puts them right on the edge of Class 2 and 3. However, I'm not sure.

Anyone know what the plan is? I think Rocktown is supposed to open this fall.

I, for one, love the fact that Harrisonburg is getting a second city high school. Hopefully it will create a great rivalry and sporting environment. Not sure how they'll be in sports, Harrisonburg typically is pretty average all around with the exception of soccer and sometimes basketball.

Reactions: otnorot
The city of Harrisonburg decided on the new high school-Rocktown High (sick name IMO). Colors will be red and black, haven't decided on a mascot yet.

I've heard that it will be a Class 3 school. Does anyone know if this is true? I know the current HHS is built for about 1300 students, about a Class 4 school, but currently they hold over 1800. I'm guessing they will cut that population about in half, probably leaving about 1000 at HHS and giving Rocktown 800, which puts them right on the edge of Class 2 and 3. However, I'm not sure.

Anyone know what the plan is? I think Rocktown is supposed to open this fall.

I, for one, love the fact that Harrisonburg is getting a second city high school. Hopefully it will create a great rivalry and sporting environment. Not sure how they'll be in sports, Harrisonburg typically is pretty average all around with the exception of soccer and sometimes basketball.
kids chose the name the other two choices were Valley View and South Ridge. School Board wanted Thunder as nickname but that was soundly defeated by the kids. There is a twitter campaign for Rockets but it remains to be seen it that will gain any legs.

Last edited:
kids chose the name the other two choices were Valley View and South Ridge. School Board wanted Thunder as nickname but that was soundly defeated by the kids. There is a twitter campaign for Rockets but it remains to be seen it that will gain any legs.

Rocktown Rockets has a great ring to it. Thunder is cool too.

Reactions: EPJr
Rocktown opening has been pushed back to August 2023

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT